NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Nintendo seriously need to invest in some new western IPs and franchises. I mean, this is a new HD Nintendo console and their only western studio (Retro) is working on a bloody Donkey Kong. They just seem so far behind the competition; there's a limit to how much difference Mario Kart and Mario will keep on making.

Staaaahp. Not this again. :heh:

Nintendo May have sold Rare but...

Retro are working on a CGI promo featuring Hyenas with swords. Nintendo are working on a HALO killer involving possession and have money-hatted EA to link Madden and FIFA to their handheld while also allowing EA to put Mario and co. in their sports titles.

This is what they did in 2003 with their powerful hardware and I feel this is as close as we'll get to such ideologies. :-/

Edited by tapedeck

The only FPS the Wii U needs is Metroid Prime 4. Well, it wouldn't be called Metroid Prime as it wouldn't be related to the Metroid Prime creature, but a new one of that kind of game.

I'd also love to have the option of being able to scan with the GamePad and read it without the gameplay pausing (although with the option for the old method as I don't think that many people would like it).

Also, there have been quite a few closures in the UK in the past few years. Why not repeat what they did with Retro Studios and mop up some of the talent to form a UK studio and tell them to make something for the Wii U (Nintendo could still chip in with ideas, but it would need to be a new IP)?

Lots of British gaming talent mixed with Nintendo's quality control (the kind that led to Retro massively changing Metroid Prime into something spectacular) to create something for the Wii U that appeals to the western audience sounds like a great idea to me.

Hell, doing so could even gain interest from some old Rare and Free Radical staff. Look at how important a UK studio was to the N64 - Nintendo need that extra side to their consoles, especially now they don't have the Wii's massive non-gamer audience.

Whatever happened to the spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness?

I'm going through the original right now, and think it would be a darn shame if nothing were to become of that project.

Edited by Fused King

Whatever happened to the spiritual sequel to Eternal Darkness?

They never got the funding they needed. Based on the history of some of the people involved, few people trusted them with their money. The development studio has since disbanded.

They said that they will try again when "the time is right".

They never got the funding they needed. Based on the history of some of the people involved, few people trusted them with their money. The development studio has since disbanded.

They said that they will try again when "the time is right".

Honestly, that game is so built up. I have no doubt in my mind that whatever they released would have been garbage based on 10 year old game mechanics with (from what we saw) pretty mediocre artwork.

ONly just thought of this but where the hell is the next Fatal Frame game? That series is something that would (potentially) use the GamePad SO WELL

Nintendo own that franchise now don't they? Or part own or something? I remember something like that happening... or did they buy Tecmo???

Actually since Eternal Darkness was brought up and we know Nintendo own that franchise and don't seem to have any plans for it.... GIVE IT TO TECMO!!!!!

Just thought I would throw this here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/36202

It's the most recent Nintendo World Report podcast and it was recorded once this months NPD results came through. The podcast is known as a 'podcast for adults' over on Neogaf and the discussions are VERY good and certainly the best you'll find on the net when it comes to Nintendo and gaming. They are all Nintendo fans but are very fair on their comments on the Wii U and Nintendo.

One thing that they discuss in this podcast is how many gamers are suffering from Nintendo franchise fatigue, which is a great point…Worth checking out.

Just thought I would throw this here: http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/36202

It's the most recent Nintendo World Report podcast and it was recorded once this months NPD results came through. The podcast is known as a 'podcast for adults' over on Neogaf and the discussions are VERY good and certainly the best you'll find on the net when it comes to Nintendo and gaming. They are all Nintendo fans but are very fair on their comments on the Wii U and Nintendo.

One thing that they discuss in this podcast is how many gamers are suffering from Nintendo franchise fatigue, which is a great point…Worth checking out.

This is some real talk. People should listen to this.

Edited by liger05

Only 15 minutes in but very much identifying with it so far - gonna jack it for the gen sales thread cos I think it's relevant there too.

No Wind Waker HD or Monster Hunter....... :(

Might be because they're essentially HD remakes/ports with extras added.

But they are still games released on the Wii U in 2013 :)

Mario would prolly win anyway even if those two were included, so wouldnt change much

Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

I do love this system, but...fuaaaaark! The updates/downloads are so infuriating. I downloaded Wii Fit U yesterday. Took about an hour and a half. Then, there was an update for that. Wii Sports is already there (silent download) and now I'm downloading an update for that, too.

So many updates.

I just want to play some games. :(

I've not really had an issue with updates and downloading in general...

btw.. could someone here explain miiverse to me - I don't really get it... is it just wii U's twitter?

:shakehead

I do love this system, but...fuaaaaark! The updates/downloads are so infuriating. I downloaded Wii Fit U yesterday. Took about an hour and a half. Then, there was an update for that. Wii Sports is already there (silent download) and now I'm downloading an update for that, too.

So many updates.

I just want to play some games. :(

I thought they would of sorted these speeds by now.

I haven't had download issues either. NES Remix downloaded in around 5 minutes today. Wii Fit U, when I got it, took half an hour.

I've not really had an issue with updates and downloading in general...

btw.. could someone here explain miiverse to me - I don't really get it... is it just wii U's twitter?

Pretty much, yeah.

Just watching this now, differing opinions on what was shown, some good discussion

Edited by Retro_Link

This has to be the clearest ad I have seen Nintendo produce which actually explains what the Wii U is.

Shame its 18 months too late.

Edited by lostmario
Fixed Youtube link

This has to be the clearest ad I have seen Nintendo produce which actually explains what the Wii U is.

Shame its 18 months too late.

Amen. Finally!