NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I keep coming to this thread just to see whether a Wii U price cut has been announced.

nwld.gif

I keep coming to this thread just to see whether a Wii U price cut has been announced.

nwld.gif

We just had one...If Nintendo drop it any further, it'll damage them severely

Unless they get more customers as a result of a price drop and make more money through sales.

Jus' saying.

Unless they get more customers as a result of a price drop and make more money through sales.

Jus' saying.

See, that's the thing.

Part of the reason for the prolonged financial losses was because the 3DS was taking off. It was being sold at considerable lost after the price-cut, and that's where it took off.

Nintendo's financials are only just starting to recover

So has that Tesco shelf space deal kicked in yet? I went in two fairly big Tesco scores during the weekend and neither of them had an Wii U titles on shelves.

I was in HMV on Saturday

They had an entire cabinet area think for Wii U, an entire one for 360, an entire one for PS3 and a small corner for Xbox One & Playstation 4.

That must be an exception because in Ireland in the few HMV's we have here their Wii U section is tiny and that's before they make room for the other 2. They had a Wii Mini for sale, the box was battered. I was annoyed that they were selling nunchuks for €45. No wonder they had so much trouble with administration.

Also, I too am wondering what exactly are Tesco doing for Wii U? I've seen nothing, my local branch never had a Wii U section and still doesn't.

Reggie did promise us better third party support and we did get it at launch - Mass Effect 3, CoD, Assassin's Creed 3, Ninja Gaiden, Darksiders etc. all amazing third party games even if they were multiplatform titles. Problem is it seems that after the initial great support most companies left it at that, just one title. Worst offender probably being EA.

That must be an exception because in Ireland in the few HMV's we have here their Wii U section is tiny and that's before they make room for the other 2. They had a Wii Mini for sale, the box was battered. I was annoyed that they were selling nunchuks for €45. No wonder they had so much trouble with administration.

Also, I too am wondering what exactly are Tesco doing for Wii U? I've seen nothing, my local branch never had a Wii U section and still doesn't.

Ireland seems to be even worse than some other smaller countries in Europe...

Here in the Netherlands Wii U sales are supposedly dramatic, but still I see the console and games in every store that I know sells videogames.

I do have a feeling support is growing though, they're getting more and more shelf space and promotion in my local stores... : peace:

Tesco tend to work on the rule of 'if it sells quick, get it on the shelf' so in the branch where I work there's loads of Xbox/Playstation and then there's one section which has some Wii/DS/3DS games and then the odd Wii U game when there is a big release; we tend to get all the Mario titles, Zelda was on the shelf at one point... but that's it. ::shrug:

This might change soon though especially as we're on the build-up to Christmas now, also I'm on my two week holiday from work and usually whenever I go away and come back something always seems to change, so naturally this time I've got my fingers crossed for them revamping the games section... which will happen anyway but possibly more in favour of PS4/XBone. :indeed:

Really though it's stupid for them NOT to stock the Wii U and its bigger selling games as they are turning away potential profit, if only they would just jettison most of the third-rate Wii/DS games they have there - keep the good ones - and maybe slim-down those awful Skylanders figures - which serve only to rip-off ill-informed parents even if they do sell - then they would have a much better section overall which would make more sense. ::shrug:

Would they listen to me though? Not likely... I'm paid to serve, not to think sadly :heh: so it looks like it could be the same situation when I return but you never know, they might cotton on to the fact that there's more of a demand for Wii U stuff than they realise, we'll see anyway. :)

There's one shelf in my Tesco, with a random mish-mash of 3DS, DS, Wii and Wii U games. Saying that though, the Wii U games that ARE there are pretty decent. Got Sonic Lost World for £32 a from there a few weeks ago (which is the cheapest I could find on the highstreet, mainly because the only other place selling Wii U games by me is GAME and Smiths)

Forgot to mention when I was in Gamestop on Friday to pick up Zelda I spotted they moved the Wii U section again, back to the shelf space beside the counter so it very hard to miss it now. It only one section still though, bout 6 cases wide, 8 cases high. But still it better than where it was previously tucked in a corner by the door which you can;t see as you walk in (that space is now Vita), so I'll take that as a positive I guess.

Has anyone seen any Wii U ads, where's this big push that they said was coming? I haven't seen any at all. Just seen an ad for Zelda: ALBW on Channel 4. First one I've seen for that particular game but 3DS ads are on all the time. I haven't seen a Wii U ad since Pikmin 3.

Has anyone seen any Wii U ads, where's this big push that they said was coming? I haven't seen any at all. Just seen an ad for Zelda: ALBW on Channel 4. First one I've seen for that particular game but 3DS ads are on all the time. I haven't seen a Wii U ad since Pikmin 3.

I seen a lot of Super Mario 3D Worlds adverts they are on ITV

I seen a lot of Super Mario 3D Worlds adverts they are on ITV

I was going to watch the Arsenal game on ITV this evening but watched the Celtic game on TV3 (Irish station) instead. They had plenty of XBONE and PS4 ads on during the breaks.

Saw Mario 3D World on Channel 4 about 10 times yesterday morning. Saw it on Sky 1 a couple more times, too, and on ITV at the weekend.

Seen Disney Infinity Wii U adverts a bit more lately, as well.

Edited by Serebii

I was going to watch the Arsenal game on ITV this evening but watched the Celtic game on TV3 (Irish station) instead. They had plenty of XBONE and PS4 ads on during the breaks.

I was watching Ajax - Barca (hooray for Ajax!!! :grin:) yesterday on Dutch television and there were Wii U adds. Both before, during halftime and after the game. Bundels, Mario 3D World and Wii Sports Club in this case.

What's wrong with Ireland and Nintendo...? You guys seem to miss out on a lot of Nintendo love! :blank:

I seen the Mario one during X-Factor ( think it was X-Factor ) it may have been I'm a Celebrity. Either way I seen it, no matter what tripe show I was watching. :)

orVMgGq.jpg

What happened to Nintendo TVii in Europe?

"Nintendo TVii enables you to find, watch, and engage with TV shows and movies in entirely new ways.

Using the Wii U GamePad, you can browse and search for programming from sources you subscribe to, including cable and satellite channels and video-on-demand services.

Nintendo TVii will be available in selected regions throughout Europe in 2013.

More details will be announced in due course."

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Wii-U/System-Software/Nintendo-TVii/Nintendo-TVii-666625.html

What happened to Nintendo TVii in Europe?

Probably cancelled. I'd be shocked if it ever gets released here now. But that's nothing new for us really; just like with Xbox, almost all of their multimedia/TV features are only available in the US. Negotiating all of those contracts across Europe (especially with the likes of Sky, who are notorious control freaks) is just far more difficult than in the US, where everything is much more centralised.

And TBH, given the Wii U's current situation, it's probably not even worth releasing it and wasting money on securing support for it here anymore :(

I seen a few, can't recall on what channels. I've seen some PS4 ones too though, and maybe an xbox one or two? I don't pay much attention to ads tbh. Sure I saw a screeny of New Super Luigi U somewhere in one(presumably, I've not played either, but looked like it would be NSLU).