NEurope
Ashley

Orange is the New Black

Anyone else watching this? New show from Jenji Kohan (Weeds) available now on Netflix.

I've just finished episode 8 (of 13) and enjoying it. Not blown away or anything, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

I was considering watching this, but then ReZ recommended it on Facebook. :blank:

I'm also slightly worried that she'll get released from prison at the end of season 3, and the show will somehow stay on the air for five more seasons after that.

Well its a Netflix show so...

Although a season two has been confirmed. The first season (so far) seems to only take place over a few months, so they could at this rate stretch it to season four if Netflix deem it so. If not they can just jump ahead a bit.

I'm not exactly laughing out loud, but it's a nice show. Just finished the third episode.

Dat ending.

I somehow marathoned this in one session. Can't really say if it's good or not, but I certainly enjoyed it. It's fucking tragic in places and laffo in others.

It's a dramedy.

Meh most shows are classed as that nowadays as most shows have a little bit of both. I ignore those labels, although there are definitely humourous elements in OITNB it is definitely more drama.

I expected an ending like that, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy the ride. The handling of Healey has been interesting as seeds were planted early (such as him telling Piper not to try lesbian stuff in the pilot. It felt like a random moment, but we later find out why). I like how they're all corrupt, although I do wonder if that investigator looking into the spending will crop up again next year.

I do like how the focus wasn't so much on Piper, who is in many ways the most bland character. Kohan has said used Piper as the "gateway drug" to convince networks to pay attention as it is more difficult to sell a show about a group of women of varying ethnicities, whereas a WASP is much easier.

Wonder if she killed Tiffany or just beat her up heavily (perhaps enough to get new teeth!). I like how it showed, in spite of what she thinks, she isn't as perfect and innocent as she thinks.

Also, the reason Tiffany converted is a hilariously dark/risky joke for America.

Wonder if she killed Tiffany or just beat her up heavily (perhaps enough to get new teeth!). I like how it showed, in spite of what she thinks, she isn't as perfect and innocent as she thinks.

This.

That'd be amazing because then she could forgive her again and it'd be like a cycle.

Also, the reason Tiffany converted is a hilariously dark/risky joke for America.

That she likes the attention or did I miss something?

This.

That'd be amazing because then she could forgive her again and it'd be like a cycle.

That she likes the attention or did I miss something?

After being insulted by a nurse for having her 5th abortion, she got her gun from her car and having walked past the pro-life picketers, shot the nurse dead. The pro-life support groups then paid for her defence and claimed she was doing god's work (you know, because abortions are murder so its fine to murder someone that murders foetuses). Presumably she went along at first for the free legal help, but seems she brought into her own hype.

After being insulted by a nurse for having her 5th abortion, she got her gun from her car and having walked past the pro-life picketers, shot the nurse dead. The pro-life support groups then paid for her defence and claimed she was doing god's work (you know, because abortions are murder so its fine to murder someone that murders foetuses). Presumably she went along at first for the free legal help, but seems she brought into her own hype.

Yeah that smile on her face was brilliant in that scene.

I finally watched the show and I liked it, despite what Ashley said.

No, I don't think you did. You probably just thought you did because you're always thinking it. :heh:

But yeah, good show. I just hope Netflix has the good sense to end it while it's still good.

I just watched the first episode of this and really enjoyed it.

Will probably watch an episode a night as it's quite easy viewing and I like what's been set out so far.

Very lesbian friendly.

So I'm 3 episodes in now and really enjoying this.

I am finding myself lol'ing at a lot of points too.

One thing I cannot shake off though, is how much Alex looks like Bayonetta. :laughing:

bayonetta.jpg

Every time she comes on screen I think it!

Ha personally I think she looks like an amalgamation of all my friend's hipster friends, but I see what you mean.

I’ve watched this on Netflix now, it was pretty much the first thing I really started watching (I tried Hemlock Grove first.. But I’m extremely reluctant to try another episode of that).

Anyway, this show, is great. I absolutely love all the cast and their characters. I loved seeing some familiar actors do something completely different. Kate Mulgrew is great, I’m not that fond of her accent, but I can look passed that, the acting itself is wonderful. Even Jason Biggs fits right in. The drama is great, the comedy is funny, it’s a perfect balance. And yeah, that ending was intense.. And now we wait. The only note of critique I have.. Is the themesong. I can’t stand it. But I’m glad we got Netflix, I’ll be keeping my subscription.

The show needs more Polly though. I love Polly :love:.

I've watched 5 episodes off it, not sure if I can be bothered carrying on with it. Not particularly enjoying it. It's not really funny at all and I don't find the story riveting.

My girlfriend and I tried watching it, and only got halfway through the first episode. Probably not a fair enough amount, but damn if they're going to make the first 30 mins so boring what do they expect.

I loved this show, watched it all in 2 days when it first come on netflix, episode 3 had me in tears :'(

I've watched the first 2-3 episodes and may watch 1-2 more. On the whole it isn't that good. I'm not a fan of the whole constant flashback format.

I've watched 5 episodes off it, not sure if I can be bothered carrying on with it. Not particularly enjoying it. It's not really funny at all and I don't find the story riveting.

I wouldn't say it's meant to be a comedy. There's comedic elements, but its definitely more dramatic.

My girlfriend and I tried watching it, and only got halfway through the first episode. Probably not a fair enough amount, but damn if they're going to make the first 30 mins so boring what do they expect.

In fairness its a show designed for the 'Netflix model', so essentially you're supposed to view it as a whole 13 hour piece so you're only 1/26th through.

I wouldn't say it's meant to be a comedy. There's comedic elements, but its definitely more dramatic.

In fairness its a show designed for the 'Netflix model', so essentially you're supposed to view it as a whole 13 hour piece so you're only 1/26th through.

Surely if you want people to stick around for 13 hours the necessity to draw them in during the first 30 mins is even more important.

I'm sure if i really wanted to watch it, i would persevere and probably like it, but it's not top of my viewing list right now anyway.

Surely if you want people to stick around for 13 hours the necessity to draw them in during the first 30 mins is even more important.

I'm sure if i really wanted to watch it, i would persevere and probably like it, but it's not top of my viewing list right now anyway.

What I was trying to get at comparatively you've watched the first 3 minutes of a 90 minute movie (if my maths is correct, and there's a good chance it's not!) and the usual 'golden rule' is 10 minutes.

I'd say at least give them an episode. Pilots are tough :heh: