NEurope
nintendofan16

Super mario 3D world or a new Mario Galaxy? Wii U

Hello guys,

I am really disappointed they announced a Mario 3d world for the Wii U.

I really hoped they were busy with a new Mario Galaxy or Mario Sunshine(something like that). I think Galaxy & Sunshine has a better feeling and an 'open' world. Mario 3d world consist of levels and not really a world were you travel in. I like Super Mario 3d land for my 3ds but we already have a game like that on the Wii U: New Super Mario Bros U. (Well it is a little bit different but ok). Well the point is: What do you prefer? A Mario galaxy/Sunshine title for the Wii U or a Super mario 3d World? and why? I want a Mario Galaxy or Sunshine definitely!

Edited by nintendofan16

Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, while brilliant, were so linear. Super Mario 3D World's levels are really no different to the Super Mario Galaxy ones that didn't really feature the gravity mechanic.

I'm personally fine with either, though it's worth noting that Super Mario Sunshine is the 3D Mario disliked the most. People commonly went on about the subspace levels and how cool they were. Galaxy and 3D World are a result of those levels

Neither. I want a new game with a similar structure to Super Mario 64. Perhaps even something crazy such as many different environments in one gigantic level.

Whilst I wasn't fond of Galaxy 2, Super Mario Galaxy 1 was incredible!

Would I want a Super Mario Galaxy 3... probably not... but a Mario game that tried to redefine and push the series in the way Mario 64 and the Galaxy games did... Yes, very much so!

I like to run about the mushroom kingdom/Mario environments, not follow a set path through worlds we've seen a thousand times before against a clock. It all feels too familiar right now.

Super Mario 3D World isn't appealing to me at all at the moment.

If I had people around me to play through it in 4 player with, maybe I'd feel a little differently.

However, playing through these levels as just Mario... in what seem to be levels designed to accommodate 4 players more easily... no, I'm not seeing it. Like you say it feels very much just like 3D Land... but not even as tight and solid as that to me due to the above reason.

To me it feels like some sort of in-between game... not quite this, not quite that... will it work for everyone, I'm not sure.

Multiplayer in a 3D Mario game has always interested me, however now I'm seeing it, if this really is the best way Nintendo think to go about it... well then give me a hoed, refined single player Mario experience.

Yeah I think this topic would be a good one to think what the next open world 3D-Mario game might possibly be about. If we think about the previous games, they've all had a theme of some sort:

-SM64: castle with paintings

-Sunshine: tropical island, water gadgets

-Galaxy 1&2: space and gravity

So any ideas what the next setting could / should be?

After Sunshine, the logical move would be to put Mario in an ice/snow themed game. I know that I loved Ice Mario's skating, and I wouldn't mind seeing an entire game with that theme (though Donkey Kong beat him to the punch, apparently).

Kamek is experimenting with time travel in the Mushroom Kingdom (using a giant Super Star for power). Something goes horribly wrong and parts of many different areas, time zones and dimensions all combine in the Mushroom Kingdom and the Star is shattered into 120 pieces. To fix this, Mario must rebuild the giant Super Star by finding all the pieces.

Areas will be a mess of different styles, you'll see some characters at younger or older ages in some areas and may interact with different versions of the same character. Stars would be laid out similar to Banjo-Kazooie but in a massive explorable world - the main thing driving progression and areas you can reach would be abilities you unlock (so a bit like Metroid). As there is no "level" to return to, you would not be moved out of the section when you collect the Star.

Shouldn't this be over in Nintendo?

However, as I've said many times before, I don't wish for a Galaxy or a Sunshine, but rather something more like 64. A hub 'world' if neccessary that has its own character and stuff. Gotta say, very much loving @Cube's idea above - but I'd wonder how easy it would to create the structure in a meaningful way, especially if there will be differing styles running through.

Shouldn't this be over in Nintendo?
It could have but it's good here, it's a discussion thread about what people want from Mario.

A third Mario Galaxy would have been equally disappointing. At least this one offers something new in the multiplayer.

I didn't really want Galaxy 3. What I was hoping for was something like Sunshine, where you would at least have full camera control (with the right-hand analogue stick) and levels that could extend in every direction. I enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land a great deal, but that was on a system with certain limitations. Whilst I expect Super Mario 3D World to be a great game, I don't expect any tall mountains, deep valleys or intricate tunnel systems.

I really enjoyed Sunshine to be honest, I would LOVE something more open like that game was. Galaxy 1 and 2 were both awesome too because they were so original and inventive, so yes I would be stoked to see a Galaxy 3 as well that utilised the Wii U's capabilities. So yes, I am a bit gutted that we have been given the 3D world affair instead - it feels over-used with all the NSMB stuff, however different they say it is. Still, if they can find a good balace between the single player and multiplayer experience then im sure it will be fun regardless.

After Sunshine, the logical move would be to put Mario in an ice/snow themed game. I know that I loved Ice Mario's skating, and I wouldn't mind seeing an entire game with that theme (though Donkey Kong beat him to the punch, apparently).

I think after sunshine they learned a valuable lesson about putting mario into 'themed' settings.

Mario games should always have a snow level, forest, fire etc.

Super mario sunshine was a mistake in that way.

Sunshine just had so many problems to name but what it did right it did better than any other mario game.

For instance for controls, it controls like a dream.

I'll admit that Sunshine felt a bit better, but it was the beginning point of the linearity. Sure you could explore on the difference shines and it was in a fairly open level; but you couldn't really accidentally discover much except for those bloody blue coins. Except in a rare case or two you couldn't really accidentally get the wrong/a different shine. It may be Nintendo had never intended this originally in SM64 either, and you were only meant to get the one you selected; but even so I think it really added something to the game.

I'll admit that Sunshine felt a bit better, but it was the beginning point of the linearity. Sure you could explore on the difference shines and it was in a fairly open level; but you couldn't really accidentally discover much except for those bloody blue coins. Except in a rare case or two you couldn't really accidentally get the wrong/a different shine. It may be Nintendo had never intended this originally in SM64 either, and you were only meant to get the one you selected; but even so I think it really added something to the game.

You hit the nail on the head, here. Sunshine was structured like SM64 when it should've been structured like Galaxy.

That was Sunshine's main flaw, really, as even the dreaded Blue Coins were a product of this contradiction.

No, no no no! I want more SM64! Maybe even more Sunshine! Galaxy was ok, it was good, but it was just lacking in what makes Mario special enough for me. Since the early days of Mario platforming, he's always had secrets and choices - Galaxy and Sunshine didn't really. SM64 had plenty. I like that aspect of the game, really makes it for me.

No, no no no! I want more SM64! Maybe even more Sunshine! Galaxy was ok, it was good, but it was just lacking in what makes Mario special enough for me. Since the early days of Mario platforming, he's always had secrets and choices - Galaxy and Sunshine didn't really. SM64 had plenty. I like that aspect of the game, really makes it for me.

Oh yes, absolutely, SM64 is one of the best of all time for that reason.

What I meant was Sunshine was built like SM64, but was designed with Galaxy's mindset. That is the contradiction.

So it should've been built like Galaxy, or designed like SM64, instead of the weird middle-term limbo we got.

My point may make very little sense when read, even if it does in my head :heh:

On the other hand though in Sunshine much of the Sun sprite stages were COMPLETELY different from the previous sprite. I'm not sure I would have preferred it if I was playing the exact same course 6 times over something with a twist each time. In 64 it was all generally the one area.

I would love another 64 to be honest. A lot of that is nostalgia I know because i'm not sure we'll ever get a game with that much impact again. It was the first 3d platformer I've ever played, nothing will ever shock me like that again.

actually did anyone read this article about croc originally being a super mario 64 prototype in a way?

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80104/why-super-mario-64-owes-croc-legend-of-the-gobbos

Super Mario 64 is one of the most influential games of the 3D era, having established 3D platforming mechanics that have endured well into current generations. According to Argonaut founder Jez San, one of the creators of the original Star Fox, Mario's venture into three dimensions owes some of its identity to Croc: Legend of the Gobbos, which released roughly a year later. Huh?

In an in-depth piece on the creation of Star Fox from Eurogamer, San explains that Croc started as a pitch for a 3D platform game, as part of an exclusivity arrangement with Nintendo. "We mocked up a prototype using Yoshi," he said. "It was essentially the world's first 3D platform game and was obviously a big risk - Nintendo had never let an outside company use their characters before, and weren't about to, either. This is the moment the deal fell apart."

San says the early prototype was very similar to Mario 64, and he feels Nintendo must have been influenced by it. He also claims Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto implied that himself.

"Miyamoto-san went on to make Mario 64, which had the look and feel of our Yoshi game - but with the Mario character, of course - and beat Croc to market by around a year. Miyamoto-san came up to me at a show afterwards and apologized for not doing the Yoshi game with us and thanked us for the idea to do a 3D platform game. He also said that we would make enough royalties from our existing deal to make up for it. That felt hollow to me, as I'm of the opinion that Nintendo ended our agreement without fully realizing it. They canned Star Fox 2 even though it was finished and used much of our code in Star Fox 64 without paying us a penny."

Argonaut went on to release Croc for the PlayStation, Saturn, and PC, which became its biggest financial success thanks to owning the intellectual property. San says that he's "not bitter" about the goings-on at Nintendo, but he feels that Nintendo "undervalued" the talent at the studio. "We could have done so much more," he said.

Edited by mcj metroid

I'll be honest and say that even though I love and appreciate Super Mario 64, I don't exactly like it as much now as I did due to realising that there are too many stages that I'm not really that fond of, such as Hazy Maze Cave and Wet, Dry World :hmm: I still cherish some great memories of all 120 stars, though :yay:

I would have been willing to say that I prefer having levels that you go through from start to finish, like the classic Super Mario World, so am definitely looking forward to Super Mario 3D World but considering it has almost been two decades I would be really excited to see a new game in similar style to Super Mario 64 :eek:

No, not really. I couldn't even finish Super Mario Sunshine. Galaxy on the other hand, was great.

I'll be honest and say that even though I love and appreciate Super Mario 64, I don't exactly like it as much now as I did due to realising that there are too many stages that I'm not really that fond of, such as Hazy Maze Cave and Wet, Dry World :hmm: I still cherish some great memories of all 120 stars, though :yay:

Wow, that's the exact point I got bored and stopped playing when I downloaded it via the Wii's Virtual Console. Completely agree with your verdict on it.

But...but...the underground theme! On both of them actually unless I'm mistaken! Loved Wet Dry World and its mechanic myself, Hazy Maze was maybe one of my lesser favourites were it not for the Metal Cap(again awesome music)...can't believe you guys won't have seen some of the later levels!

But...but...the underground theme! On both of them actually unless I'm mistaken! Loved Wet Dry World and its mechanic myself, Hazy Maze was maybe one of my lesser favourites were it not for the Metal Cap(again awesome music)...can't believe you guys won't have seen some of the later levels!

We have both completed it 100%. My personal opinion (and I think this is what nando was saying too) is that it was amazing when it was released. So amazing that we would plough through the entire game regardless of how much fun individual parts actually were. Played today, not all of the game is fun enough to get through.

I do love the underground theme though. :)