NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Serebii

New Miyamoto IP (2014)

Famed game designer Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of Mario and Zelda, has teased a "new franchise" for 2014.

"We'll have Mario Kart 8 out next spring, and at that point we'll have the whole lineup in place, so I think it's about time we brought out a new franchise," Miyamoto said in the latest issue of Famitsu (as translated by Polygon). "I can't give out details, but that's the title that's been keeping me pretty busy lately."

A new and original game from Miyamoto was first revealed in January 2012, when the Associated Press reported that the designer was at work on an "undisclosed original title."

Miyamoto's most recently released title was March's Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon for the 3DS. He is currently working on Wii U game Pikmin 3, due to launch August 4.

The designer turns 61 this year, and said in March that it would be "strange" not to be thinking about retirement, though he has no immediate plans to step down from his post

http://www.gamespot.com/news/miyamoto-teases-new-franchise-for-2014-6411236

Is this related to that recent news of a 'secret' game, or games, that were rumoured to maybe be the next 'Wii Fit' type thing that Nintendo want to hold back?

Is this related to that recent news of a 'secret' game, or games, that were rumoured to maybe be the next 'Wii Fit' type thing that Nintendo want to hold back?

Hopefully not. I would like to see a traditional style game come from him. Was Pikmin the last good traditional new IP he made?

That's a pretty loose definition... "New franchise" doesn't necessarily mean new IP, it could just be a franchise that is new to Wii U or 3DS.

It could also be his way of referring to Steel Diver 2, as making a sequel to the original now makes it a "franchise" by some people's definition.

Yeah was thinking the term 'franchise' worries me a little bit. Is it going to be a new IP/game/what?

That's a pretty loose definition... "New franchise" doesn't necessarily mean new IP, it could just be a franchise that is new to Wii U or 3DS.

It could also be his way of referring to Steel Diver 2, as making a sequel to the original now makes it a "franchise" by some people's definition.

It's already a franchise! The free-to-play game is coming, remember?

That's more of a translation from Japanese to English. They don't use the term "IP" there, except in regards to an Internet Protocol address

So they're going to start working on it after Mario Kart is out then? Wow.. late 2015/early 2016 surely can't come soon enough.

So they're going to start working on it after Mario Kart is out then? Wow.. late 2015/early 2016 surely can't come soon enough.

. . . . . . >

A new and original game from Miyamoto was first revealed in January 2012, when the Associated Press reported that the designer was at work on an "undisclosed original title."

"I can't give out details, but that's the title that's been keeping me pretty busy lately."

No, it's just the only game out in that timeframe that we know of

Edited by Serebii

Ok, so this new IP is keeping him very busy as I'm sure many of the Nintendo games do that have a 3-6 year development process. Gamespot have decided that that has something to do with a game that was revealed in Jan 2012, which could have been any of the release line up (probably Nintendoland). Nowhere in the Polygon translation of the original article does it refer to it having been shown off previously.

On top of this Nintendo have already stated that they are struggling with meeting deadlines due to demands of developing HD games. I'm not trying to be pessimistic just realistic as this is obviously a bait article as there are huge assumptions made about the information that it is sourced from.

I'd like to think that there are more games on the way but I'm pretty confident that Nintendo has shown us everything that will be coming out on the Wii U (bar eShop) up until April if not June next year.

Ok, so this new IP is keeping him very busy as I'm sure many of the Nintendo games do that have a 3-6 year development process. Gamespot have decided that that has something to do with a game that was revealed in Jan 2012, which could have been any of the release line up (probably Nintendoland). Nowhere in the Polygon translation of the original article does it refer to it having been shown off previously.

On top of this Nintendo have already stated that they are struggling with meeting deadlines due to demands of developing HD games. I'm not trying to be pessimistic just realistic as this is obviously a bait article as there are huge assumptions made about the information that it is sourced from.

I'd like to think that there are more games on the way but I'm pretty confident that Nintendo has shown us everything that will be coming out on the Wii U (bar eShop) up until April if not June next year.

Iwata has clearly said that we haven't seen everything

That's a very open statement and clearly gives them the opportunity to announce games and then to only push them back. Take the ridiculous launch window of the Wii U which has extended all of the way to the end of July now.

I'm tired of this "it's coming soon" line that we get from Nintendo. It has become completely meaningless.

That's a very open statement and clearly gives them the opportunity to announce games and then to only push them back. Take the ridiculous launch window of the Wii U which has extended all of the way to the end of July now.

I'm tired of this "it's coming soon" line that we get from Nintendo. It has become completely meaningless.

So you'd rather they rush release and ship a half-arsed attempt? I think the 3DS releases this past 12 months and what's on the way for the Wii U more than makes up for a barren 6 months.

The launch window doesn't extend to July. It ended in April. It's just that several games from said launch window got delayed to outside of it

So you'd rather they rush release and ship a half-arsed attempt? I think the 3DS releases this past 12 months and what's on the way for the Wii U more than makes up for a barren 6 months.

Well, the lack of announcements and good games available for the Wii U has essentially killed everything. Few (none) games to attract core gamers and an abundance of more "casual" games. Yes, I know everyone's sick to death of the distinction, I'll call them drumsticks and meatballs or napkins and casettes if that makes you happier, the fact of the matter is that it's the "geeks" who drive early sales. If you don't get the geeks, you don't get anyone.

The lack of games appealing to them has meant that few have bought consoles. And the result of that has been too few sold third party games, which in turn has KILLED third party support.

And the problem is that, instead of solving the problem and expanding their range of games, they keep emphasising on sidescrolling platformers. New Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Returns Returns Returns, Yarn Yoshi, not to mention how they promoted the hell out of Rayman Whatever Whatever when it was supposed to be exclusive. To add variation, they then spent the rest of their meager resources on minigame compilations. Nintendoland, Game & Wario were developed in-house and Rabidsland was promoted as much as Rayman.

Do Nintendo really need to spread their resources on developing THREE side-scrollers and TWO minigame compilations at the same time, when they're yet to show a new Zelda, Metroid, Starfox, Pilotwings, Waverace, 1080, Excitebike or even the REAL 3D Mario. The early release of the Wii U should have been used to drive sales. For eight months, Nintendo had a window to release a game that would make people go "WOW". All they had to do was to release ONE game which showed what the console can do. Iwata himself has said that Nintendo have failed with this!

Yarn Yoshi and DKRRRRR should have been canned the very second Nintendo saw their launch lineup. The "launch window" has become the ultimate joke of jokes, as it's becoming an ever expanding, ever more barren black hole.

How many games were released by Nintendo in this period? Three? (Game and Wario, Mario Bros, Nintendoland)

At this point, Nintendo should abandon all plans on pleasing the casual audience.

I'm excited for this new Miyamoto IP. However, I hope this will be a core franchise, rather than another minigame compilation or a competitor to Candy Crush or Angry Birds.

Finally, his long-awaited swimming game.

Now's the time, Shigsy.

52590iH.jpg

dat lucrative market

Iwata clearly said Pikmin 3 was launch title, or at least launch window

This is a misquote to show that your arguments go both ways. Iwata is not credible for everything, which was Jamba's point. People are trying to stay reasonable with you Serebii, yet you seem insistent to not consider anything but blind optimism sometimes.

Personally I still don't get this 'rush' argument. The 3DS and its games aren't really relevant here.

As for this 'rush'...exactly what causes this rush? The 3rd party publishing the hardware? The 3rd party privy to the ins and outs and workings of the hardware? The 3rd party privy to release dates, capabilities, what? Who are Nintendo rushing against,, exactly? Themselves? Did they not give themselves enough notice of their impending console? Did they not give themself a dev kit soon enough?

This 'rush' argument is pretty unfounded as far as I see. Nobody held external cards, or factors beyond their control. They're limited only by themselves.

I personally like the optimism.

It's... refreshing. :D

Lol. I'm still optimistic, otherwise I wouldn't have my wii u! However I won't be unrealistic. There's a way to go, but I'm glad to hear there might be a new IP. I just worry because people have said 'franchise' and also because I've seen Epic Yarn as a perfect example of a brilliant game that was a banging New IP, but then they decided to tack an old, imo unsuited, character into it.

You have to ask, with IPs and franchises too; is Mario a solid one? Or is 'New' a new IP? Or a new franchise? It all gets murky really.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

This is a misquote to show that your arguments go both ways. Iwata is not credible for everything, which was Jamba's point. People are trying to stay reasonable with you Serebii, yet you seem insistent to not consider anything but blind optimism sometimes.

You mean things change in the business world? You mean games get delayed? Whoa, that has never happened before.

Come on... All I was saying is that the launch window wasn't extended, just that games had been delayed out of it.

Edited by Serebii

Nope, that wasn't all you were saying. You said this as if it meant something, I'm just saying that it doesn't.

My wonder would be, as mad as it sounds, do we think Miyamoto still has it? Could he still, with all the pressure hype and expecatation, really manage to make something as groundbreaking and world-rocking as Mario, Zelda, or to an extent Pikmin?

Sometimes I worry that the hype is half of what hurts these games, expectations can be high to live up/just plain different, and so when stuff comes out it gets a poor reception.

My wonder would be, as mad as it sounds, do we think Miyamoto still has it? Could he still, with all the pressure hype and expecatation, really manage to make something as groundbreaking and world-rocking as Mario, Zelda, or to an extent Pikmin?

I wonder, I really wonder.

Personally, I don't expect much from his new 'IP', because of his focus during the Wii years.

Though I do still think that he can create something magical gameplay wise.

Something inspired by his involvement in his neighbourhood perhaps.

Something to rival Animal Crossing :laughing:

Sign in to follow this