NEurope
Murr

Honeymoon Destinations... Help me out!

Well in 9 months time i'll be finally getting married. Everything planning wise is going much easier than anticipated, Other than our original venue closing down, we've had it pretty easy and our checklist has alot of ticks on it,

there's one fairly important thing we've yet to decide on. Where to go on our honeymoon? And it's not because we disagree on where to go, we both just genuinely don't know what we'd like to do.

Basically We've been to Mauritius numerous times, and can go when ever we like due to family and having an apartment over there. I know on a honeymoon we'd stay in a hotel so it'd be a different experience, but we've done alot of trips there already, seen the sights, know the beaches, there isn't much to explore.

Your normal listed places like Maldives, Dominican Republic, Barbados, Caribbean etc... We're not really that interested in them due to them being an awful lot like Mauritius, We figure we've done paradise, can there be much difference between the places?

Not really interested in anywhere in Europe, we wanna push the boat out as this should be our only honeymoon, so want to go big.

We thought possibly about somewhere in the UAE, And I've been to Dubai and loved it, but not entirely sure how affectionate you can be with each other without causing offence or being locked up. Again I know majority of the time we'd be in a beach resort, but the chances we're out for food or shopping, I'd want to hold my wifes had, or what not. Just not sure how strict that it is there?

I'd love to go to Egypt, but Heather has been, and has no desire to go back, saying that the Pyramids, sphinx etc aren't as impressive as she'd imagined. Plus the ongoing politics there don't really appeal right now.

Rio in Brazil is somewhere we're both quite keen on too, but again at the moment the civil unrest there, it puts us off, not sure how long that sort of stuff will go on, We'd be going on honeymoon in May so also not sure how much of a clash that'd be with football fans heading over there for the world cup. Would that have an impact of hotel and flight prices etc.

Safari was a big yes, and we were originally set on that, but we've been informed April & May are the months that Kenya gets the most rain, and we'd have a washout of a honeymoon if we went when we intended.

Doesn't leave to much really. Mexico, Cuba, India, Thailand, Fiji are all places we're now looking into. Unfortunately the likes of USA or Asia seem to be off Heather's ideal honeymoon locations. She has every intention of holidaying in USA & Asia again, but not for a honeymoon. I quite like the look of Singapore, but hey ho.

Have any of you been somewhere honeymoon worthy? can you recommend somewhere I've not listed, or have you been to any of the places listed above that we are looking into and can sell the place to me (then I can sell it to Heather :p )

Would never have thought picking the honeymoon would be the last & hardest thing to do on our list of wedding preparation.

Skegness.

In all seriousness, my recommendation would be Thailand. You could get some seriously nice honeymoon suites for your money.

What about japan?

Vietnam, Cuba and Mexico all come highly recommended by anyone who's been there.

Seeing as Rio is out, elsewhere in South America could be good. Peru, perhaps? Lima, Machu Pichu, Cuzco, El Misti, etc, etc.

Closer to home and as an alternative to Egypt, Morocco or maybe Istanbul?

What about New Zealand, Australia or Japan? Lots of scope there and places to see.

My two younger sisters are married. One did a honeymoon at Disney world Florida and the other visited the Canadian Rockies and lakes, via the mountain trains.

Yeah I'd say how about either...

Florida,

Aus/New Zealand

or Peru (Machu Picchu, Nazca Lines etc...), could also go over to Easter Island.

I don't think UAE is a good idea, any sort of affection in public is a bit naughty, so you would have to be very careful the whole time - not something you want to do on your honeymoon.

Kenya i can definitely recommend (or Tanzania/South Africa/Uganda). My dad currently lives there, and the holidays we've had in the past there are incredible (if you spend enough money). However, the rain issue may be a problem. You could try South Africa, as they are further south and won't have the same tropical rain problems perhaps? Look into it?

Otherwise, Thailand is nice, but may have the same rain problems as Kenya that time of year. However, if you do go, you should try and go during their festival of Songkran, which is in April. Basically everybody roams the streets with water guns and buckets of water soaking everyone else. It was hilariously good fun when we went before. You could spend part of the holiday in Phuket, which as @nightwolf will tell you, is awesome.

It seems you are blessed with too much choice rather than not enough! I wish i had the time and money to just go to anywhere in the world!

Vietnam, Cuba and Mexico all come highly recommended by anyone who's been there.

Seeing as Rio is out, elsewhere in South America could be good. Peru, perhaps? Lima, Machu Pichu, Cuzco, El Misti, etc, etc.

Closer to home and as an alternative to Egypt, Morocco or maybe Istanbul?

I had a friend who spent a bit of time in Peru and loved every second of it. Ine's sister has also been to Istanbul and had a great time. (I think I have that right)

Thailand seems like another good shout. I'd probably look into that one. I might have missed it in your opening post, but what about New Zealand? Or Costa Rica?

Middle Earth New Zealand looks like a very nice place to visit.

Thailand is stunning. I was there for a month. Travelled north to the jungle first then south to the islands.

Funnily enough New Zealand hadn't really crossed our minds, just forgot about it, but agree it does look a beautiful place. As does Thailand. I'd be pretty happy with either of the 2, traveling may add an additional day or to onto our desired holiday allowance overall, but would be worth it.

Unfortunately to the people that have mentioned USA, Heather doesn't really see that as a honeymoon destination (I'd love to go though) but more of a general holiday in a few years time.

It does seem as @bob says, it's more a matter of too many choices rather than not enough.

Good contributions though so far.

@Daft when you stayed in Thailand was that back packing? Would that mean you weren't always seeing the touristy sides of Thailand? As it's a honeymoon we'd be situated in touristy / places I'd assume, so would we experience the same sites as you?

Just asking as staying in Mauritius with family in our apartment is completely different experience to what people who have stayed in hotels experience, alot more experiences and fun staying with family. Half the people I've spoken to who have hotel'd it in Mauritius have said it's boring, but then they never went more than 100metres away from their resort.

I'd assume if you were back packing you could see what you wanted and experience alot more than a hotel bound couple would see?

QUICK EDIT - Peru actually looks pretty gorgeous too.

Edited by Murr

I have a couple Thai friends who showed us about and recommended we travel to certain places. We never went amazingly off the beaten track, but it's kind of hard to because tourism is everywhere in Thailand. I'd say it was the perfect blend of back packing and being a tourist.

Are you hoping for good weather?

If that's not a priority, what about Iceland?

What type of holiday are yuo wanting? Do you just want to sit back and relax in a hotel/beach resort the whole time or do you want something more adventurous?

I would recommend south east Asia, there are some fantastic places down there and flights are very reasonable these days.

Have you though about a cruise? The guy I share an office with went on one recently to get married and loved it.

I've always wanted to go to the Galapagos Islands, just because they sound so interesting/different. There are probably visitor restrictions though (world heritage something or other) so that might make it costly.

Sorry to hijack but what websites are good for booking holidays in Europe?

My cousin is going on his honeymoon next week and he's decided on Bali, followed by Singapore. I've never been before but Bali looks stunnijng!

The adverts i've seen on TV, they say visit Scotland. I'd go there, nice country and nice people. No need to worry (at the moment) about currency changing. Got some good sights and all that.

But as an alternative, it's been said already but Morroco?

Sorry to hijack but what websites are good for booking holidays in Europe?

LPT: When you book, do it in incognito mode so they don't jack up the price.

My cousin is going on his honeymoon next week and he's decided on Bali, followed by Singapore. I've never been before but Bali looks stunnijng!

I was in both of those places in Jan/Feb. Singapore is amazing but you don't really want to be there for longer than 4/5 days (stretch to a week max) if you're sightseeing as there isn't all that much to do.

In Bali we went to Kuta, the party town, only word to describe it is mental. Guys selling drugs openly on the street, massage offers left, right and centre, prossies strolling about. The nightlife is superb though.

Outside Kuta there are loads of far nicer places. I'd really recommend it, or perhaps the island Lombok which is nearby.

The adverts i've seen on TV, they say visit Scotland. I'd go there, nice country and nice people. No need to worry (at the moment) about currency changing. Got some good sights and all that.

But as an alternative, it's been said already but Morroco?

If you're on a budget, into that sort of thing, and don't care about the weather there is actually a lot to do up here.

LPT: When you book, do it in incognito mode so they don't jack up the price.

Already there my friend.

If you're on a budget, into that sort of thing, and don't care about the weather there is actually a lot to do up here.

Indeed so, had a week's holiday up there a few years ago. Went right up into the Highlands, did a few forts and took a nice walk/boat trip across the Ness. Planning on going back up, many more things to see and do.

By the way @Murr you know you're going about this all wrong...

Question: Where is there a Grand Prix in April-May...

Answer: Bahrain it is :p

Are you hoping for good weather?

If that's not a priority, what about Iceland?

Unfortunately Weather would be a factor, would have to be hot. I've been skiing with Heather and she really didn't get on with it, not just the skiing aspect, but also the general snow snow snow everywhere.

Her parent's are Scottish, So I tend to go to Scotland a fair bit, Not so much in terms of a holiday or getaway, but not sure if it's somewhere she'd want to go as honeymoon, kinda goes the same way as the Mauritius story in that we can go and stay when ever we would like to / could afford it.

By the way @Murr you know you're going about this all wrong...

Question: Where is there a Grand Prix in April-May...

Answer: Bahrain it is :p

Funnily enough the honeymoon hunt has been my designated job for a while, I mentioned to her Monaco, and she loved the look of it (who wouldn't) then I said why not wait till the 22nd May for our honeymoon... She seemed to already know it would be because it fell on some sporting event.... When she found out it was Monaco Grand Prix, that destination has since been taking off the list. :p

What type of holiday are yuo wanting? Do you just want to sit back and relax in a hotel/beach resort the whole time or do you want something more adventurous?

I would recommend south east Asia, there are some fantastic places down there and flights are very reasonable these days.

We'd like the hotel beach resort idea, but with the option to do sight seeing and exploring, Majority of hotel resorts offer these trips too (not included in the price) so Would be something we'd look into when we've picked our destination, just to see what the area around our resort could offer in terms of trips and such.

Thanks though everyone, alot of suggestion sound great, and with your experiences to these places, it's all very helpful so far!

Edited by Murr