NEurope
UziT

RIP Ryan Davis

Ryan Davis passed away on July 3rd. He was 34.

Obviously we’re all stunned over here. Ryan was a good friend to all of us. It’s odd to remember that, for someone who could be so acerbic at times, and despite knowing him for almost a decade, I honestly don’t recall ever actually being mad at him. He had an unconventional type of kindness that expressed itself more strongly the longer one knew him, and despite his teasing nature, he always managed to make his close friends feel loved when his attention turned towards you.

Many of you know that Ryan was recently married. In the face of this awfulness, many of us will at least always remember him as we last saw him: outrageously, uproariously happy, looking forward to his next adventure with the biggest grin his face could hold.

The consolation we can feel from that is miniscule compared to the hole that Ryan’s absence will leave in our lives. That’s not a hole that is possible to fill; it’s just something that we’ll just have to get used to walking around with, and that will not happen for a long, long time.

RIP Ryan In complete utter shock :(

This is such awful news. I am so utterly saddened to hear this.

Ryan only got married last week too, which only adds to how upsetting this is.

Rest in peace Ryan

Edited by Helmsly

I am shocked, stunned and I feel really numb. So sad to hear this. Ryan was a great guy. He just got married days ago.

Condolences to his family and friends.

RIP

So sad words can't explain either how sad it is or how totally awesome a presence he was for that site and it's community. I honestly don't think I can listen to the bombcast without him.

I cant believe he is really gone, my first thought when i saw the headline was that it must be a joke (in poor taste) but then i confirmed it. I feel really sick thinking about it, listend to him every week on the bombcast, watched every video he had ever recorded. He hasnt just left the gaming world emptier, but the world in general, he was one of the brightest flames and was estinguished far too soon.

Of coure as sad as I, and we as a community are, its his friends, family and Wife that are suffering the most. My thoughts are with them most of all, thought it breaks my heart to lose him, it must be truely devastating for them.

RIP Ryan Davis, the world will be a lot less colourfull without you.

I just got back from work, browsed to the GB website and my heart promptly fell into my shoe. What a huge huge loss to the entire gaming community not to mention being only 34 and just married. We've lost one of the truest and distinct voices out there. He will be missed sorely.

What the hell! he just got married,oh god his poor family! such a sad loss

RIP Ryan

Well Jeff just tweeted this:

"@Jeffgerstmann: Sorry, one guy who said we should do one last episode and then stop doing the podcast forever. Not gonna happen."

Could be taken two ways either the show must go on or they have no intention of ever making a podcast again.

I had a listen to it this morning, its two hours long with most of the crew talking about Ryan and their favorite moments they shared with him over the years.

It is heartbreaking at times as most of these guys knew him beyond Giantbomb, so its clear they didn't just lose a work colleague they've lost a close friend who has been a part of their lives for a very long time. He and Jeff were friends since the mid nineties for example.

The last minute was brutal, when Vinny talks about how Ryan had changed his life and as a result will effect his sons life and his voice starts to crack. I just lost it.

RIP and Thanks Ryan.

Edited by Helmsly

I'm glad they put the podcast out even if it is just one small step towards acceptance and closure. Still so sad and weird just thinking about the news and what's happened. I can't bring myself to watch any of his old videos :sad:

I just finished listening to the podcast. At times it was hilarious at times it was awkward but ultimately it was a nice tribute. Still not rewatched any videos just seeing his pics makes me shiver.

They've said they are going to hopefully get a tribute t-shirt out with the proceeds going to his family. Without a doubt I am picking one up and ordering it as soon as possible.

I've just read about this and it's a shock even more to know that he recently got married as well. 34 is young as well. R.I.P.

Before coming to N-Europe a few years ago, I used to listen to Giant Bombcast a lot and before that I used to visit Gamespot. I left Gamespot shortly after Jeff Gerstmann and others made a stand and I respected them for having the balls to set up a new site like Giant Bomb which felt more real than Gamespot was at the time. I'll remember Ryan for his quality of reviews and sense of humour/humor, something which is sadly lacking on other sites.

I've just read about this and it's a shock even more to know that he recently got married as well. 34 is young as well. R.I.P.

Before coming to N-Europe a few years ago, I used to listen to Giant Bombcast a lot and before that I used to visit Gamespot. I left Gamespot shortly after Jeff Gerstmann and others made a stand and I respected them for having the balls to set up a new site like Giant Bomb which felt more real than Gamespot was at the time. I'll remember Ryan for his quality of reviews and sense of humour/humor, something which is sadly lacking on other sites.

That's what really makes these sites that fans gravitate towards, before Giantbomb it was the likes of Gamespot, 1up. I think Giantbomb's decision to go whole hog the video stuff put that personality out there in a way that wasn't previously possible.

I never visited Gamespot really at all. However the Jeff reviews issue/sacking became such a big deal that you couldn't help but hear about them when Giantbomb became a thing.

They put together a great video of "off-camera" Ryan moments - shows just how little space there was between the man and the on-screen persona.

They put together a great video of "off-camera" Ryan moments - shows just how little space there was between the man and the on-screen persona.

Watching it now so many laugh out loud moments....also watched the Mailbag felt very poignant and strange but nice all the same.

Just wanted to comment again awesome video and the "end" is pure class what a funny guy he really was.

What's great about that is normally that might be disrespectful but in this case the man himself would have approved.