NEurope

Thanks @Julius :peace:

I think I'll wait for a better deal in a year or so. Can't really afford to churn out 30 bucks right now, but I want to experience Royal's benefits.

Royal is currently on sale but it's still 30 bucks.
The vanilla version is free with the PS+ Collection.
Anybody who could tell me if the 30 bucks are really worth it for Royal? Don't have a lot of cash to spend, so not sure if I should do it. But I'd be annoyed if Royal is a much much better game :blank:
Absolutely not worth it, especially as the regular version is included in the Plus collection.
  • Like 1

Been playing this very slowly over the last few months, just finished the 3rd palace. I've heard there's some stuff which I need to max out if I don't want to miss out on a big chunk of the game, is there somewhere I can read up on this with as little spoilers as possible?

Spoiler

I was wondering if the arse crack conversation was a joke in the Japanese version or if it just made for a funny translation to English. :laughing:

Finally went back to P5R this week to carry on my game. Finished the 3rd dungeon and looks like I should be starting the 4th soon.

Got to say I'm really not a fan of the dungeons in this game. They always feel like such a slog to get through. They weren't great in 3 or 4 but I never minded doing multiple runs etc while in 5 I barely want to do one.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying the rest if the game so that's enough to keep me interested. As there's no big game this year to take my attention away like FFVIIR did I'm hoping I'll actually finish it this time around.

Coming up on 60 hours played of P5R. I'm still enjoying it but I'd say it's the weakest of the mainline games I've played (3, 4 & 5). I don't think the characters and friend group has pulled me in nearly as much as those previous games ones did.

Coming up on 60 hours played of P5R. I'm still enjoying it but I'd say it's the weakest of the mainline games I've played (3, 4 & 5). I don't think the characters and friend group has pulled me in nearly as much as those previous games ones did.
For me 3 is the wekeast, and 4 the strongest. To be honest I struggle to remember 3 that well - possibly because the main character felt really generic, and it was superseded in my mind by the excellent P4. I also played the Portable version of P3 which didn't actually involve any walking around outside of dungeons, so maybe that affected my judgement.

15 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
36 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

For me 3 is the wekeast, and 4 the strongest. To be honest I struggle to remember 3 that well - possibly because the main character felt really generic, and it was superseded in my mind by the excellent P4. I also played the Portable version of P3 which didn't actually involve any walking around outside of dungeons, so maybe that affected my judgement.

Yeah that’s also how I played 3. The more visual novel style did cause it to lose a lot of Persona charm but I still prefer the friends and story to 5’s (so far). The main character was more generic though yeah, good ending though for him/her and one I’d like to see brought back into the overarching story. 

Edited by Happenstance

Definitely starting to feel a bit burnt out on P5R. I’ve maxed out all my stats along with the majority of the social links so it’s starting to feel like I’m just going through the motions. Had this with Persona 4 as well but I found the main story a lot more engaging in that one so it was easy to push forward.

Started Persona 5 today.
3 hours in and I really hope the game opens up soon. The hand-holding is getting a little ridiculous at this point. Doesn't help that the story around the first palace is garbage.

6 hours ago, drahkon said:

I really hope the game opens up soon.

It sure did.
Spent my time leveling up some confidants and my party. I've been told that I've explored half of the first palace on my first real expedition. Nice :D

5 1/2 hours in...it's Persona alright. Let's see if it can keep my attention longer than P4G did.

Defeated the first boss.
Not a fan of the special mechanic introduced in that fight. I would assume that future boss battles make use of that one, too...

Anyways, the first palace wasn't too bad. A major step up from the palaces in P4G. Those were a drag.

So far so...ok.
Hope that the overarching plot line will get some attention soon.

This game has a weird obsession with showing you new stuff to do and then not letting you do it for a while.

"Oh hey, here's a new area for you to explore with enemies and eventually some mini-bosses to fight. Here's a tutorial on how it all works."
Cool.
"HAHA, CAN'T ACCESS THIS SIDE STUFF FOR 7 DAYS, THOUGH, BECAUSE PLOT!"
Ah well, 7 days ain't so bad.
"HAHA, NEW MAIN MISSION WITH A DEADLINE. BE SURE TO NOT FUCK IT UP!"
:blank:

11 hours in and Persona 5 has been more annoying than fun so far, to be honest...it's supposed to be one of the best games of the last generation so I'll give a few more chances. However, it does need to change quite drastically. Throwing more new things to do and then locking them up for a lengthy period of playtime is not something I want from a game.

Edited by drahkon

Currently making my way through the third palace.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:35 PM, drahkon said:

it does need to change quite drastically.

19 hours in and it hasn't.

Maybe I'm missing something but I feel the game is more about limitations than freedom. There's so much to see/explore/do and yet, so far, there's so little time to actually do stuff. And that is with me completing palaces in a matter of 2 days. A lot of days have been:

1. story after school (which means you can't do anything else)
  2. in the evening one of three things: more story; you're free to do anything; or the game just says: "there was plot progress, go the fuck to sleep" - the latter is what's annoying me the most

Right now I dislike 50% of the game, i.e. what I've described above, and I very much enjoy the other half, which is actually being able to do stuff and the palaces/battles. They provide a great amount of challenge and I love acquiring masks and then creating new Personas.

The story itself is ok. It's mostly about the individual palaces/characters involved but I wish the overarching plot gets some focus soon.

It's a weird experience for me. I really don't know what to make of it :laughing:

Shame you aren’t feeling it but I can understand why. The overall plot doesn’t really kick in until your team is fully assembled and the game is a fair way through.

• Thanks 1

To be honest you really should have played Royal. They fixed a lot of the pacing issues and opened up the game so you were a lot less limited on what you can do in evenings etc.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

To be honest you really should have played Royal.

I wish I could, but it's not an option for me right now.

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The overall plot doesn’t really kick in until your team is fully assembled and the game is a fair way through.

I see. Guess I'll have to push through the 50% that I don't enjoy :D

I'm still in the third palace grinding enemies, creating personas and just enjoying the combat. It's so good.
Pretty sure I'm close to finding the treasure, but there's no way I'll leave anytime soon :p

Very happy I spent 100k on one SP Adhesive 3. It's a game changer. Will definitely try to find a way to grind money to get three more.

3 hours ago, drahkon said:

Maybe I'm missing something but I feel the game is more about limitations than freedom. There's so much to see/explore/do and yet, so far, there's so little time to actually do stuff. And that is with me completing palaces in a matter of 2 days.

That is fundamental to the Persona experience though: not having enough time to do all you could/want to do. It's not like a typical JPRG or open world game where you have all the time in the world to do side stuff before you decide to progress the story. It's forcing you to prioritise and make sacrifices.

While I understand that this certainly isn't to everyone's taste, I think going into Persona 5 with the wrong expectation of what the game is like can be detrimental to the experience. As a pure JRPG it can feel quite simple or limited compared to others, but the game is all part social sim and arguably visual novel. It's how all these elements interact with each other that really make the game greater than the sum of its parts.

Having said that, if you are not feeling the plot or not invested in any of the characters, you're going to struggle to get much value out of the game.

My advice on the first playthrough is to not worry about min-maxing everything or playing "optimally", because you just end up stressing yourself out. The game will cycle between dungeon/free time periods and plot-heavy periods and it's not always that predictable.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zell said:

It's forcing you to prioritise and make sacrifices.

I know that, I've played P4G before (twice for 30 hours before dropping it). I don't mind it that much (which probably didn't come across in my criticism).
I do, however, think that introducing a new major feature and then immediately locking you out of that for a while is annoying and this has been a big part of the 20 hours I've played so far.

4 hours ago, Zell said:

Having said that, if you are not feeling the plot or not invested in any of the characters, you're going to struggle to get much value out of the game.

Well, I have enjoyed the individual stories behind palaces two and three and the main cast is pretty interesting, too. I just wish the overarching plot will kick in rather sooner than later.

If the game turns out to develop as I imagine it will, then my impressions will surely shift more towards positive :)

What I haven't commented on so far: The aesthetics. They're amazing. Persona 5 is stylish and cool. And it gets it done effortlessly. It never feels forced.

Edited by drahkon

Finished the third palace.
Easily the weakest story line/antagonist so far.

Looked up how much time I have left until the next palace and it's about 4 weeks. Now that's what I like to hear :peace:

I'm currently making my way through Mementos. Completed 5 requests and did some money grinding (confusion trick). 3.5 mil yen :D

Slowly but surely I'm warming up to the entire experience.

Gotta say, after finishing the third palace and having a lof of time to do stuff my enjoyment has skyrocketed.
There were hardly any tutorials/new things explained so I was free to do everything I've been tought so far. Guess the game heard my criticism :p 

Now I'm at the point where the antagonist for the fourth palace has come into play. Seems it's going to be much more interesting than the last one.

Managed to get one confidant up to rank 9 and apparently I'm now in a relationship with that person. Which is very weird... :laughing: 

Spoiler

It's Kawakami, teacher and maid.

Not sure if I now have more responsibilities with that person or if it's just "ok, you're lovers, who cares" :D 

25 hours in and yeah...it's getting better :) 

• Like 1

Oh no, the story surrounding the fourth palace is gonna make me sad, isn't it? :(

Oh no, the story surrounding the fourth palace is gonna make me sad, isn't it?
Nah, you get to the end and everyone has a tea party.

Just now, Sheikah said:

Nah, you get to the end and everyone has a tea party.

Ok ok.

tenor.gif