NEurope

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you ever finish Persona 4 Golden?

:p 

• Haha 1

That line would feel a lot more threatening if it wasn't coming from Ryan Gosling. :D 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That line would feel a lot more threatening if it wasn't coming from Ryan Gosling. :D 

Whaaat? It works so well in the movies and those 15 seconds are actually quite intense :p 

Looks like Persona 5 R has a release date of 20th February 2020 in the English-/Chinese-speaking Asian market, so got to imagine that it'll be the same for the West? 

https://gematsu.com/2019/12/persona-5-royal-english-chinese-version-listed-for-february-20-2020-release-on-playstation-stores-in-asia

This is a pretty odd release window, in my opinion, with Final Fantasy VII Remake releasing a week and a half later than the supposed 20/02/20 release date, and the first half of next year being pretty stacked in terms of big releases. Just like with DQXIS, I feel like a summer release makes so much more sense than being released in such a strong release window, but hey, what do I know? ::shrug:

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yikes, that might be an even worse release date. I suppose they know their audience and are expecting mainly for fans to double dip, but still... ::shrug:

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yikes, that might be an even worse release date. I suppose they know their audience and are expecting mainly for fans to double dip, but still... ::shrug:

They must have wanted to get the game out before the end of the fiscal year. If that is the case then I don't think it matters when they released the game because the start of next year is already stupidly stacked.

44 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

They must have wanted to get the game out before the end of the fiscal year. If that is the case then I don't think it matters when they released the game because the start of next year is already stupidly stacked.

Yeah, they must have. A shame if that's the case though, as this and plenty of other JRPGs *cough*DXQI(S)*cough* would surely fare much better in quieter periods such as the summer. Even more of a shame given the guaranteed high quality of this enhanced release, but alas ::shrug: 

You going to be jumping on this H-o-T? I think I'll be skipping Royal for the foreseeable future as I only played through P5 for the first time earlier this year

Edited by Julius

Persona is basically a modern day Street Fighter (yes I'm aware that franchise is still going) in that there seems to be about a dozen different games that start with the same name/number and I have no idea what the difference is between them. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Julius said:

You going to be jumping on this H-o-T? I think I'll be skipping Royal for the foreseeable future as I only played through P5 for the first time earlier this year

I'll be waiting to see if they release a version that isn't a steelbook. :p I'm in no real hurry to play through it. The original had a lasting impression on me and it's still quite fresh in my mind. I think it would be too soon for another play through of the game.

I love the Persona series in general but the idea that we're being made to buy again for DLC as the only option... if this was someone like Bungie we wouldn't stand for such a practice.

Also it didn't stick with me like P4 did at all. It was a great entry in the series but... Idk... I may have already said this in the past, maybe in this thread somewhere, but Persona suffers from a "solved game" issue, where the mystery and challenge has all but vanished when you understand exactly how you need to min-max your day and Personas in order to succeed.

Despite all this I'll probably still get this, pre-order and all, because man I love Persona.

Not re-released on the same system though. P4 to P4G was PS3 to Vita. P3 to P3P was PS2 to PSP. Obviously you had to buy again because you were changing system.

P5R on the other hand is coming out in a changed environment where both systems are capable of, and markets saturated with, DLC, which it could have easily been delivered as.

From what I've heard, it's a good expansion - but not enormous, which makes it hard to stomach laying down £40-80 again.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Not re-released on the same system though. P4 to P4G was PS3 to Vita. P3 to P3P was PS2 to PSP. Obviously you had to buy again because you were changing system.

P5R on the other hand is coming out in a changed environment where both systems are capable of, and markets saturated with, DLC, which it could have easily been delivered as.

From what I've heard, it's a good expansion - but not enormous, which makes it hard to stomach laying down £40-80 again.

Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES were both PS2.

A console which could not do DLC

"We've gotten away with it before" isn't a good excuse for doing something bad.

12 minutes ago, Shorty said:

A console which could not do DLC

"We've gotten away with it before" isn't a good excuse for doing something bad.

I know, I was just mentioning it because it wasn't on your list.

Never played a Persona game before. Am I better off waiting for this new edition to release, or just get standard Persona 5?

On 04/01/2020 at 12:19 PM, Mandalore said:

Never played a Persona game before. Am I better off waiting for this new edition to release, or just get standard Persona 5?

Definitely wait for this one. Unless you’ve got a PS Vita, then just get Persona 4 Golden instead.

To be honest the original game will probably be better value in the sense that it's been heavily discounted a lot (seen it going for around 15 quid fairly often). With these new versions they tend to be near to a full price game again. It really depends how good/meaningful the DLC is and how much extra you think it's worth.

• Thanks 1

Well its been out in Japan for months and reported to include a large amount of good quality, well received content content. Unless money is a deciding factor in whether to pick the game up at all, I would go for the complete package. Otherwise if you end up loving it and want more, you'll have to buy both.

Just started playing Royal this morning. Noticing some changes straight away. Need to decide on a name for my character now though and I’m drawing a blank...

First palace all done. Noticed a few more things but nothing major yet. Palace was definitely a lot easier though as I managed to get through to the treasure in one session.

Im definitely enjoying the game this time around but it was the second palace that started to drag during P5 so I’ll see how it goes when I get there.

Royal is currently on sale but it's still 30 bucks.

The vanilla version is free with the PS+ Collection.

Anybody who could tell me if the 30 bucks are really worth it for Royal? Don't have a lot of cash to spend, so not sure if I should do it. But I'd be annoyed if Royal is a much much better game :blank:

27 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Royal is currently on sale but it's still 30 bucks.

The vanilla version is free with the PS+ Collection.

Anybody who could tell me if the 30 bucks are really worth it for Royal? Don't have a lot of cash to spend, so not sure if I should do it. But I'd be annoyed if Royal is a much much better game :blank:

I haven't played Royal, but speaking as someone who really enjoyed playing Persona 5 for the first time last year, Royal definitely seems to be the way to go now if you are going to want more Persona. 

Other than the extra term (and more awesome music), the QoL improvements and other additions I've heard from podcast and video impressions makes me think that, if given the option to play the original version of the game or Royal right now, I would absolutely choose Royal. 

This video should hopefully shed some light on the differences, I watched it not long after Royal released it, and definitely makes it seems like this is the definitive version to get: 

I don't think you can go wrong with the base game, especially as it's part of the PS+ Collection, but, if you're likely to want more, it seems Royal is the way to go :smile:

• Thanks 1