NEurope

Hour and a half or so in and i'm still going though tutorials. Game is still establishing a story. Also going from hearing Igor in Persona 4 then playing this game as jarring...really different voice.

Lol yeah Igor shocked me. I'm assuming they decided to go for a big change after his Japanese voice actor died.

My copy shipped yesterday and should be here tomorrow. Amazon is usually on the ball about that. In the mean time Nier and beer

I put the Japanese voices on for a bit but you have to be prepared to forego a lot of lines. There's no additional subtitles (unsurprisingly) so things like... short snippets about how strong an enemy is, or little quips at the end of battles, you don't get a translation for. Fortunately the English voices, at least for the main cast, seem totally fine.

Fit in another couple of hours last night, this game is really somethin'.

Looking forward to getting more SP. This first dungeon is taking quite a while because I keep having to leave for the day when my SP gets low. I know its always been that way of course but kind of feels a bit harder this time around.

I haven't put much time into the game yet ( been coming in from work knackered and not in the mood for playing it ) but what I have played has me intrigued a lot more than what P4 did. I found P4 to have a really slow start but P5 seems to do away with that and get you straight into the action.

I assume the castle I was in with Sakamoto was some kind of weird manifestation of the gym teaches feelings/heart or something?

Absolutely love the style of the game. Just look at dat trophy card. :D

Looking forward to really getting to grips with the game. Hopefully it will pull me in more than P4 ever did. It certainly has started strong though.

I think I'm leaning more towards P4 as my favourite Persona game still but its hard to tell at the moment. I'm about 11 hours into P5 and only one dungeon down so there are a lot more stories and characters to come.

Whats crazy though is Atlus banning all streaming of the game and threatening Youtube and Twitch streamers. It just feels like a very outdated attitude (one which nearly everyone is attributing to Atlus Japan) and weirder still as I think one of the reasons Persona 4 was as popular in the West as it is was due to playthrough's like the Giant Bomb Endurance Run (thats how I found the series).

Finished the first palace and the game is finally starting to open up.

Time management isn't really my strong point in games but I'm keeping a handle on it so far. Really need more guts so I can talk more trash, missed out on a few dialogue oppertunities because of my low guts >_>

Anyone know if stuff like guts and charm and stats like that carry over to new game +?

Time management isn't really my strong point in games but I'm keeping a handle on it so far.

This was one of my biggest issues when I played Persona 4. I was always in a state of panic in case I missed something or ran out of time. I was listening to Ben Moore from Easy Allies talk about the game and he was saying that people need to get out of the mindset that you will miss something and realise that there are no wrong decisons, just ones that will take you down a different path. No idea if what he said is true but it sounded like good advice. :D

So it looks like the coach has been abusing the hell out of his students and done a number on Ryuji. Was loving it when Ryuji finally unleashed his persona. I hoping to get some payback on the teacher very soon.

Anyone know if stuff like guts and charm and stats like that carry over to new game +?

I would assume so, thats how it worked in P4.

I'm exploring the first palace now. This dungeon seems insanely long, especially for the first one in the game. I haven't left it yet as I'm trying to push on with what little SP I have left.

I have to say, I'm finding some of the encounters pretty cheap. I swear some of the enemies turns are completely random. There are times when they've got an extra turn for no apparent reason, as if their speed has shot up or something.

Also, I got surprise attacked by a knight and then 4 enemies spawned, all of them targeted Joker with their pre-emptive strikes and my health went from max all the way to 0, without me being able to do anything about. What the hell!? I figured it was a good place to knock the game off and have a break.

Considering how excited people were for this game, and how many of us are playing it, i'm surprised by how little discussion there has been in this thread. Luckily Gaf and GFaqs have provided me with the bantz. I was happy to see Domstercool posting his thoughts/help in the Gaf thread. I remember him adoring P4.

I finished the first palace yesterday.

Man, that took a long time to get through.

I wasn't happy as I managed to essentially waste a day. I left the palace as I was out of SP, came back in the next day, reached the treasure area after a couple of rooms and then had to leave to send a calling card. :nono:

Was that giant wang I was fighting as a mini boss? This game is messed up.

I loved it when I finally got to take on Kamoshida. When I heard the non vocal version of Life Will Change I got hyped as hell. Shame that it didn't play during the boss fight. Speaking of the boss, it felt good to finally bring the SOB down. I can't believe how twisted the guy was or how dark the game actually is.

I've started to get to grips with the systems in the game a little better now. I was getting frustrated when a bunch of stuff kept popping up but I could only do one thing. It totally goes against how I tend to play games so it has been a big adjustment for me. It's still at the back of my mind that I may make a decision that could cost me something valuable in the long run but i'm trying to get past that feeling and just push on.

At the moment I've just been concentrating on leveling up the links with Ryuji (find him hilarious) and Tae (she's a doctor, so i'm thinking there's gotta be something good to come from this ::shrug: ). I've also managed to get the likes of Guts, Kindness etc. up to level 2.

I loved the scene in the restaurant. Seeing Ann stuff her face with cake and then having Ryuji mention the calories was hilarious.

I wanted to call my team the Heroes of Time but sadly I couldn't fit the whole thing in. I just kept the name the game them.

I made it to the second palace last night but I can't go further in yet. I guess I have some other stuff to sort out before I can go any further.

Oh, who else button mashed the cats head on the train? As soon as I seen it, I figured it was the only option for me. :grin:

@Sheikah i'll ask this to you as i'm assuming you are the furthest in the game out of all of us. Does the game open up a bit more? At the moment it has been a bit restrictive in terms of what I can do. For example, I planned on doing a couple of things to raise my stats but I keep getting sent back to room and having to rest after doing something story related. I'm hoping once things settle down a bit I will have more freedom with how I choose to spend my time.

Considering how excited people were for this game, and how many of us are playing it, i'm surprised by how little discussion there has been in this thread.

I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of people constantly playing the game and in turn having no time to post here.

Whenever I'm online I see at least 4 people playing this game...and then I remember that I can't afford it right now...and I die a little inside :(

To be honest this isn't the kinda game I want to discuss that much. I love Persona but to me its quite an individual experience, I don't have a lot of interest in others' opinions and I certainly don't want to risk reading about anything I haven't reached yet.

@Hero\-of\-Time out of interest, did you look at the trophy list before starting the game?

I think I now know what the issue with P4 was for me: Wanting to get all the missable trophies and just focussing on them frustrated me a lot.

I've managed to get out of that mindset this year, though, as evidenced by my low number of Platinums I've obtained so far :D Pretty sure I'd be much happier playing it now. Maybe I will start yet again once I'm done with Steins;Gate and play the game without consulting guides.

@Hero\-of\-Time out of interest, did you look at the trophy list before starting the game?

I think I now know what the issue with P4 was for me: Wanting to get all the missable trophies and just focussing on them frustrated me a lot.

I've managed to get out of that mindset this year, though, as evidenced by my low number of Platinums I've obtained so far :D Pretty sure I'd be much happier playing it now. Maybe I will start yet again once I'm done with Steins;Gate and play the game without consulting guides.

I've not really looked at them as I didn't want to spoil any of the story. However, I have read that you need at least another play through to get the platinum, so I'm not worried about missing any as I can just mop them up during a second run.

I really want to gush about this game but like @Hero\-of\-Time I have found the occasional encounter a bit...overwhelming. As in I'm capable of doing them but I needed to know my strategy off-the-bat otherwise I'm at a serious disadvantage. Also, random enemy spawns. There's one part on Kamoshida's palace which is quite tough, I cleared the area, stupidly sprung an ambush on myself, managed to survive that only to return from battle almost directly on an enemy.

Also, I absolutely love the music. I kind of feel Persona 4 has slightly more memorable melodies, my mind keeps going back to the sinister piano bit for the Midnight Channel and weird stuff like the "Every day's great at your Junes" jingle but goddamn every battle I'm singing this out loud...

So great.

@Daft have you looked at the in-game tutorial regarding personalities?

I had a read of that and tried to match my responses to what their personalities are. A lot of the time it still seemed to be a random outcome. To be honest, most if my persona captures have come from me wearing them down and them begging for their life.

I don't think it's random (I imagine someone will make a list of responses that always work on certain shadows) but I do think that some responses are perhaps lost in translation/strain to retain the same meaning and the same tone that matches the suggestion.

@Daft have you looked at the in-game tutorial regarding personalities?

Ah! I haven't. I was trying to work out their personalities from what they were saying and hopefully gleaming a better idea the more I held them up. I'll check the tutorial out later.

I don't think it's random (I imagine someone will make a list of responses that always work on certain shadows) but I do think that some responses are perhaps lost in translation/strain to retain the same meaning and the same tone that matches the suggestion.

Yeah, I agree there will be a set response to give but at the moment I'm just kinda winging it. :D

Was this the same for P4?

In Persona 4, if I remember correctly, you had a 'Shuffle Time' mechanic at the end of fights, it's triggered when the protagonist deals the final blow or the party ends a battle with an All-Out Attack.

Shuffle Time cards include the Tarot's minor Arcana - Sword, Cup, Wand, and Coin - along with Persona cards, Blank cards, and the distinct Death card. The cards that are present during Shuffle Time (excluding Persona and Death cards) have their respective ranks as well, ranking from the lowest (1) to the highest (10):

Sword (Red) - Grants weapons.

Cup (Blue) - Restores either the protagonist's or the Party's HP.

Coin (Yellow) - Grants money.

Wand (Green) - Increases EXP obtained from battle (may also increase the equipped Persona's stats instead):

Rank 1: EXP x 1.2

Rank 2: EXP x 1.4

Rank 3: EXP x 1.6

Rank 4: EXP x 1.8

Rank 5: EXP x 2.0

Rank 6: EXP x 2.2

Rank 7: EXP x 2.4

Rank 8: EXP x 2.6

Rank 9: EXP x 2.8

Rank 10: EXP x 3.0

Persona Card - Grants a Persona (unless already obtained).

Blank Card - Grants nothing. In Persona 3 Portable, may activate a "One More", allowing the player to retry Shuffle Time.

Cursed Card - The fading Skull & Crossbones is sometimes generated, which hastens the arrival of The Reaper if selected.

Is anyone else REALLY irritated with your mother Morgana - "go to sleep you've got a long day" "you have exams you should get some rest" seriously stop letting me manage my time in a time management game! i want to watch a dVD or read or craft some shit for the forced dungeons you've just put me in!

I don't remember this happening to Yu in P4, you could do pretty much anything, the perks of staying up for the midnight channel eh? compared to the criminal and his bedtime

Yeah, I agree there will be a set response to give but at the moment I'm just kinda winging it. :D

Was this the same for P4?

P4 didn't have the talking mechanic, this is borrowed heavily from the main Shin Megami Tensei games.