NEurope
Hogge

New N64 controller?

I've recently been playing a lot of N64 games with friends, and I even picked up Jet Force Gemeni last week. While at game I saw newly made N64-controllers. I wanted them so badly, but I decided to wait.

n64classiccontrollergold.jpg

I went online to find out more, and it turned out that they were... bad. The analogue sticks were apparently no better than original controllers half way to the grave.

Another problem I noticed was that the two handles you most commonly use on the N64 are spaced too closely together.

So a few days back, I photoshopped together a concept of what a "modern" N64 controller could look like and what it should be. And then I modelled them in 3D.

307nrdh.png

As you can probably guess, I was fairly inspired by the Sega Saturn controller. As a kid, I always thought that it was the best looking controller, and I did want to acheive a type of "premium" feel. And what's more premium nowadays than piano black (I'm looking at you, Apple). I did however add N64-style handles, because I always found that shape to fit better in my hands than let's say Gamecube or Playstation handles.

mcpzck.png

The idea is that, not only would this space your hands out more (which is a good idea, considering that most N64 players nowadays are adults), but it would give you access to all the buttons.

If I were ever to make this happen, I would probably get rid of the slot underneath the controller and instead build a rumble and memory feature in to the controller itself, with a toggle switch changing between them.

Feedback? I'm not planning to actually make them, but I still like it.

The N64 Controller is my favourite from any console ever and I feel a little upset seeing what you've done to it.. :eek:

Having said that, built in rumble and a more durable analogue stick probably wouldn't hurt :heh:

Can it be an N64 controller without the central handle and different layout?... is it not now just a controller?

Is the Z trigger still there?

Nice controller model though.

2 handles? Not an N64 controller.

There needs to be a minimum of 3. MINIMUM.

Can it be an N64 controller without the central handle and different layout?... is it not now just a controller?

Is the Z trigger still there?

Nice controller model though.

Yes, the Z-trigger is there. I haven't finished the model yet, but it's going to be assymetric, with as the left handle will have a sort of "finger stop" like the middle handle on the classic N64 controller, while the right one will be more shaped like the "outer" ones. As I wrote before, I like the feeling of the handles, they're the most comfortable controller handles in the world IMO, they're just placed too close together.

Nice idea.... but the Trident..... THE TRIDENT.... does it have a built in memory and Rumble pak?

Isn't some company making a new set of wireless controllers? It was reported somewhere that they were shown off at this years E3. Personally it's all about the trident. Each console has it's own little nuances and a large part of that comes down to the controller to simply throw that out is blasphemy in my eyes.

If it had to be 2 handles, I'd probably accept this :heh:

WiiUPro64_zps2ed795ea.png

That would of course be amazing.

But am I the only one who finds the N64-controller too small? Or at least the grips to close together.

Here's a picture if you're wondering what @Miharin is referring to..

HN6-07.jpg

When I first saw it a few years ago, I definitely liked the idea of a superior analogue stick but then you wouldn't be able to do this :heh:

sp2_cv_leftposition.jpg

I tried playing a couple of shooting games that way, though, and it just seemed so wrong :blank: I prefer using the Analogue Stick to walk and turn with the C-buttons to strafe and look up and down.. and still do, compared to the typical two stick set-up :indeed: Wii Remote and Nunchuk is king, though, for that genre : peace:

Anyway, I adore the N64 controller but I can't be the only one who has witnessed this when putting the controller into the hands of someone who has never played the console before..

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTryvMmfQN6_T3FDsCkBEr_DitwYl9lunAt7Fnmydgr3Zm0YUZqmA

I've seen it too many times :nono:

Shit man, I had to constantly tell people from school to HOLD THE MIDDLE AND RIGHT HANDLES. And they still keep veering back onto the right and left, struggling to use the control stick.

Every time I saw it I'd give an evil glare and over time they learnt to use an N64 controller properly... and stopped coming over to my house.

Yeah my friends used to do that too :) On a side note, does anyone have experience with the Hori controller? I've been considering ordering one. I started collecting N64 stuff recently and just got the Densha de Go! train controller too :)