NEurope
Hero-of-Time

New Super Luigi U

After getting used to the controls I think its a breeze.

Ive been away all weekend so havent been able to play on it but once I got back I blitzed the thing in around 2 hours. I'm now just collecting all the coins and exits. Ive finished the first two worlds without incident.

Some guy on Gaf was harping on about how the game was a nightmare, in terms of difficulty, and that he couldn't get past 10 lives on his counter. I finished the game sitting on 60!

These young punks and their CoDs...

*Cranky Kong rant*

How come no website seems to be reviewing this?

Try and get all 3 star coins in 9-2, then come back :p

I traded in Lego City Undercover for the 3ds today in GAME (only bought so I could get Animal Crossing free) and bought eShop vouchers with the trade in value.

Those bad boys will be used to download this - prob download tomorrow morning or something. Have 2 weeks off work so can hopefully complete some of my gaming backlog - though this is top of the agenda to play if I can tear myself away from Animal Crossing! (Unlikely)

Glad to see the positive reviews and impressions of it though!

Try and get all 3 star coins in 9-2, then come back :p

Will do. :D

What's the M blocks that appear in the game? I don't want to hit them in case it ruins a perfect save file.

Will do. :D

What's the M blocks that appear in the game? I don't want to hit them in case it ruins a perfect save file.

They change the mechanics for the level to be New Super Mario Bros U mechanics. No flutter, Luigi's jump is gimped.

They change the mechanics for the level to be New Super Mario Bros U mechanics. No flutter, Luigi's jump is gimped.

Cheers.

I've gotten used to Luigi's skidding and flutter jump and found it comes in quite handy, so I doubt I will be changing to the Mario mechanics. It's called Super Luigi U for a reason. :D

I have to say that the game has been a joy to play so far. It doesn't really feel like DLC and could easily be a stand alone title. Basically this is DLC done right.

Cheers.

I've gotten used to Luigi's skidding and flutter jump and found it comes in quite handy, so I doubt I will be changing to the Mario mechanics. It's called Super Luigi U for a reason.

:D

I have to say that the game has been a joy to play so far. It doesn't really feel like DLC and could easily be a stand alone title. Basically this is DLC done right.

It makes the game trickier though. The game's levels are built around Luigi's jumping style. Cutting it back down to Mario's changes it. May replay through it, in that mode, at some point.

Eurogamer posted a damning review

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-24-new-super-luigi-u-review

They're complaining over the mechanics not feeling like Mario, about Nabbit making the game "too easy", about too much handholding and that the 100 second time limit kills creative level design

Difficulty is definitely a step up, but it's not impossible. I'm hovering around the mid 20's area of lives which is pretty good for me. Dreading the later stages, they were hard enough in NSMBU.

They're complaining over the mechanics not feeling like Mario, about Nabbit making the game "too easy", about too much handholding

and that the 100 second time limit kills creative level design

Totally disagree with everything. I'm enjoying NSLU a lot more than the main game. I like the level designs better in this.

The levels in this are definitely easier if you have one thing...a baby Yoshi. I daren't go in some of them without one

Totally disagree with everything. I'm enjoying NSLU a lot more than the main game. I like the level designs better in this.

I agree with your disagreeing. :D

It's not very often I disagree with Eurogamer reviews but this is one of those times. I mean the time limit is supposed to be short to add a sense of urgency. The levels are made for short, multiple play throughs and coins can be collected in one run BUT its best to do them in multiple ones.

The levels in this are definitely easier if you have one thing...a baby Yoshi. I daren't go in some of them without one

I've only used one of them and that was on the first world. I find them to be a burden, what with having to carry them around with me.

I agree with your disagreeing. :D

It's not very often I disagree with Eurogamer reviews but this is one of those times. I mean the time limit is supposed to be short to add a sense of urgency. The levels are made for short, multiple play throughs and coins can be collected in one run BUT its best to do them in multiple ones.

I've only used one of them and that was on the first world. I find them to be a burden, what with having to carry them around with me.

If you have Miiverse posting on, and get through a level in less than 50 seconds, with all three Star Coins, and not getting hit, you get prompted to post about your "Super Play". Incentive!

Right. I've had to abandon getting a star coin once or twice due to the time limit. Certainly adds to the pressure as I do prefer getting them all in one run. :laughing:

They've added a few places where you can farm 1-ups but it's a lot more difficult to build lives due to the time limit as well.

I actually thought the levels were shorter due to the increased difficulty. I found it less frustrating if I die later in the stage. I have been known to die right before the flag pole. :p

I've probably gained most of my lives just by flutter jumping and then a spin to hit the top of the flagpole. They certainly add up when doing levels multiple times.

I have 99 lives now, but I think I'll lose them all trying to get the Star Coins in 9-2...can't even use Nabbit to get them

I have 99 lives now, but I think I'll lose them all trying to get the Star Coins in 9-2...can't even use Nabbit to get them

Haha! Seriously, I can't wait to see how hard this level is!

If these difficult stages later on are anything like the 'Run for it' level on NSMBU then I will look to it with fear! Those later levels were a bitch to get through!

9-8 is brutal. Found a way to do 9-2 with the star coins, but it required a P Acorn...

And bam, 100%'d. Great fun, well worth the £18.

Only used Nabbit once, on 9-6...and you'll see why :p

Found a way to do 9-2 with the star coins, but it required a P Acorn...

Cheater! I just did it on my 4th attempt. I was gonna leave the 9th world till last but I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with 9-2.

Now back to collecting coins in World 4.

9-8 is brutal. Found a way to do 9-2 with the star coins, but it required a P Acorn...

And bam, 100%'d. Great fun, well worth the £18.

Only used Nabbit once, on 9-6...and you'll see why :p

Just had a thought, did you still get 5 stars after using Nabbit? Also, what troubled you with 9-2?

The first coin you just have to jump and spin. There's only the second coin that causes issues but if you are big then you just run straight into the enemies and grab that coin. The final one you just jump back once the ceiling has collapsed.

I fully finished another world last night and I'm still loving the game. I'm enjoying this a lot more than the actual main game. :D

Just had a thought, did you still get 5 stars after using Nabbit? Also, what troubled you with 9-2?

The first coin you just have to jump and spin. There's only the second coin that causes issues but if you are big then you just run straight into the enemies and grab that coin. The final one you just jump back once the ceiling has collapsed.

I fully finished another world last night and I'm still loving the game. I'm enjoying this a lot more than the actual main game. :D

It was the whole thing...the slowing down to duck cost me a few times. It was just a combination of factors really.

Na, got 5 stars :)

It was the whole thing...the slowing down to duck cost me a few times. It was just a combination of factors really.

Na, got 5 stars :)

Weird. Wonder what needs to be done for the 5 stars then? Seems a bit cheap being able to use Nabbit yet still net the perfect profile.

Weird. Wonder what needs to be done for the 5 stars then? Seems a bit cheap being able to use Nabbit yet still net the perfect profile.

1. Beat Bowser

2. Find all exits in Worlds 1 through 8

3. Get All Star Coins

4. Complete all Levels

5. 100% the game

To be fair, if you're playing multiplayer, someone has to play as Nabbit so it's illogical to penalise based on that

tell me something here. because you are playing as Luigi, does that mean you get that floaty luigi feeling? Is there a choice to not play like this.

I'd love a tough mario game without the luigi feeling haha

tell me something here. because you are playing as Luigi, does that mean you get that floaty luigi feeling? Is there a choice to not play like this.

I'd love a tough mario game without the luigi feeling haha

Yeah, he skids more and has his floaty jump. You can get rid of this by...

finishing the game. When you beat the final boss a M block appears on each level that changes Luigi to control like Mario. Just hit it and away you go.

@Serebii - you may have got 5 Stars, but do they sparkle? I know you could get 5 stars on NSMBU, but to get them to sparkle you couldn't use the super guide. Do your stars sparkle???

Yeah, he skids more and has his floaty jump. You can get rid of this by...

finishing the game. When you beat the final boss a M block appears on each level that changes Luigi to control like Mario. Just hit it and away you go.

Thats not too bad I guess.... Nintendo are weird with their decisions sometimes. It's like they think 'options' will confuse people.