NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

I've said it before and I'll say it for the rest of my life. Tim Sherwood is the worst manager if ever seen at white hart lane. He's not even a manager. He won a competition, it's the only explanation...

Still. City for the league, everton 4 th... That's the dream now. Roll on the summer and end this utter nightmare!

Roll on the summer and end this utter nightmare!

Spunk another hundred mill on a shower of shit. Can't wait!

Spunk another hundred mill on a shower of shit. Can't wait!

Not unless they find another Gareth Bale to sell. Daniel Levy, spend his own money? You must be mad.

I've said it before and I'll say it for the rest of my life. Tim Sherwood is the worst manager if ever seen at white hart lane. He's not even a manager. He won a competition, it's the only explanation...

Still. City for the league, everton 4 th... That's the dream now. Roll on the summer and end this utter nightmare!

Why would you play such a high line against the best strike attacking team in the prem? Didn't he do the same against Arsenal at the emirates and got tore apart...

If you're thinking about buying a replica England shirt for the World Cup you might want to think again. They're now on sale at Nike.com for a whopping £90.

title race has been blown wide open. Arsenal suddenly don't look assured of top 4. Relegation battle is still wide open. Utterly brilliant run in to the end of the season.

Personally I think City will/should win it.

Liverpool are right in the mix, but for me it doesn't seem right that a team who have played so few games compared to the other teams should win. It's almost like handicapping in horse racing. Having said that if they beat Chelsea and City at home then it would be hard to deny them the title.

God I love football!

If you're thinking about buying a replica England shirt for the World Cup you might want to think again. They're now on sale at Nike.com for a whopping £90.

It hurts my brain knowing that someone earned money designing the blandest shirts in history. It's a hard life.

Liverpool are right in the mix, but for me it doesn't seem right that a team who have played so few games compared to the other teams should win. It's almost like handicapping in horse racing.

I disagree with this, if they win it they will have played the same amount of games as everyone else in the league. They will deserve to be champions, forget the other cups.

Personally I think City will/should win it.

Liverpool are right in the mix, but for me it doesn't seem right that a team who have played so few games compared to the other teams should win. It's almost like handicapping in horse racing. Having said that if they beat Chelsea and City at home then it would be hard to deny them the title.

Know what you're saying, but football has never been entirely fair and never can be. It's basically impossible to ensure complete literal fairness. Games are played with different refs, at different times of the year, in different weather, and against weaker/stronger sides. Not to mention injuries, debatable suspensions etc. And it would be impossible to ensure teams to play an equal number of games altogther (cups by their nature prevent this), so if it is unfair, it's just something everyone has to accept.

Although you maybe could argue that playing the extra games in other competitions, brings in more revenue and prestige, allowing them to buy the best players to use in the league, so maybe the more games vs better players balances out somewhat.

I disagree with this, if they win it they will have played the same amount of games as everyone else in the league. They will deserve to be champions, forget the other cups.

i don't think you can just forget other cups. You've only got to look at stats of teams in Europe to see that it clearly has a negative effect on domestic form.

I think Liverpool will play 46 games this season and Arsenal, Chelsea and City have already played that many games. I know everybody plays the same amount of league games, but I guess my point is Liverpool would not have won the league if they had to deal with Europe, so it feels like it's not an unfair fight

i don't think you can just forget other cups. You've only got to look at stats of teams in Europe to see that it clearly has a negative effect on domestic form.

I think Liverpool will play 46 games this season and Arsenal, Chelsea and City have already played that many games. I know everybody plays the same amount of league games, but I guess my point is Liverpool would not have won the league if they had to deal with Europe, so it feels like it's not an unfair fight

Totally disagree with all of this. It sounds like you're saying that playing in the Europa or Champions League is a hindrance. Well, it isn't. With those competitions comes the opportunity to win another trophy, as well as prize money, appearance money, tv money, all that stuff. Pluuuus, you can attract higher quality players to the club as they'll most likely want to be playing in these competitions. Would Liverpool rather be playing Bayern Munich tonight in the Champions League Quarter-Final, or would they rather be sat at home twiddling their thumbs? Easy answer.

I'd go as far to say that the lack of European football for the last few seasons has put Liverpool at a disadvantage to the rest of their title competitors. Sure, you play less games, but the truth is that the teams such as Chelsea, City, United have built up bigger squads over the years to be able to cope with this demand, and a large chunk of that money will come from playing in other competitions. Yes, having a sugar daddy will help with this, too, but you can't just ignore the money that these competitions generate for a club, as well as the publicity. It's staggering.

Is the league over?

@Fierce_LiNk

You've been critical of Moyes' selection policy so far this season. Before the line up is announced for tonight who would you (and any other Man Utd fans, you're just the one who sticks out!) play?

De Gea

Jones, Smalling, Evans, Evra

Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs

Mata, Kagawa,

Rooney

3 man midfield with both Mata and Kagawa playing behind Rooney. They're both wasted on the wing, need to get them through the centre.

@Fierce_LiNk

You've been critical of Moyes' selection policy so far this season. Before the line up is announced for tonight who would you (and any other Man Utd fans, you're just the one who sticks out!) play?

De Gea

Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs

Mata, Kagawa,

Rooney

3 man midfield with both Mata and Kagawa playing behind Rooney. They're both wasted on the wing, need to get them through the centre.

Mata is cup tied and Evra is suspended...

The formation is good though, so put Butner at left back and drop Rooney back in place of Mata and then Hernandez or Wellbeck up top.

Doesn't really matter though, whoever United play they'll get destroyed :heh:

@Fierce_LiNk

De Gea

Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs

Mata, Kagawa,

Rooney

That's the type of formation we need to be playing, I think I suggested something similar after our last few games. Although, we'd have to change that because of Mata being tied and Evra suspended, as @Eddage said.

De Gea

Rafael - Jones - Vidic - Buttner (as there's no other choice)

Fletcher - Carrick - Giggs

Kagawa - Rooney

Welbeck

Welbeck to hold the line. Rooney to win the ball from deep and have the lungs to get forward. Kagawa and Rooney to provide an outball whilst also covering the wings. Fletcher and Giggs to keep it tight in midfield. Carrick to shield the back four.

The two question marks for me are at right back and left back. We're fucked in both areas as we have no back-up and Rafael is so, so reckless. If we survive tonight with no red card from any of the back four, I'll be happy.

Actually, all four of the back four worries me. We'd need them all to have big games and put in huge performances. With my back four and yours, we have an aging Vidic, an in-experienced Jones and Smalling and a reckless Rafael, with no cover for left back. There's nobody who is experienced enough to step in at centre-back and do a job. I went with Vidic in the end as we need a huuuuge rock at the back, but I worry he'll get killed for pace.

Might even be tempted to put Valencia at right-back, but I don't like doing that. We need all of the players in their right positions to get anything from this.

I'd also be satisfied with this:

De Gea

Smalling - Evans - Jones - Buttner

Fletcher - Carrick - Giggs

Kagawa - Rooney

Welbeck

Although that's too inexperienced for my liking.

What we'll probably end up with is this:

De Gea

Smalling - Ferdinand - Vidic - Buttner

Valencia - Cleverley - Carrick - Giggs

Welbeck - Rooney

The formation matters, but what matters more is how we play, whether we can keep the ball and create any chances. We've played 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2, yet we've looked bad with both. It's whether we can move the ball quickly enough and get our better players on it.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Nice post.

Forgot that Mata would be cup tied and didn't realise that Vidic was fit and Evra suspended.

Could Carrick play centre back? I don't trust Phil Jones at all and Smalling is very average.

Whoever plays, every single player needs to play the game of their lives if they want to have a chance of getting anything at all out of it.

Nice post.

Forgot that Mata would be cup tied and didn't realise that Vidic was fit and Evra suspended.

Could Carrick play centre back? I don't trust Phil Jones at all and Smalling is very average.

Whoever plays, every single player needs to play the game of their lives if they want to have a chance of getting anything at all out of it.

Carrick can play centre-back. Under Fergie, we'd most likely have played Rafael, Smalling/Jones and they all would have had big performances. Even if we had lost the game, there would be plenty of fight in this team. We need everyone tonight to believe that they can win, and even if we don't...to go down trying. I'd rather lose giving it a fucking good go with a lot of spirit than to lose having giving up after the first 10. At this stage of the season, we know that barring a miracle run, we're going to finish with nothing, so it's all about pride now.

I'm confident that we'll put in a shift tonight. Could be our best performance of the season, as it has to be really. Certainly the best one at Old Trafford. Expecting the fans to get behind the team. More than anything, I want to see us playing with guts and brains. No stupid fouls, no long-useless-punts upfield. Keeping the ball, using it well, tracking back when losing it.

I'm confident that we'll put in a shift tonight. Could be our best performance of the season, as it has to be really. Certainly the best one at Old Trafford. Expecting the fans to get behind the team. More than anything, I want to see us playing with guts and brains.

That's what I'm scared of. There have been some teams that made life hard for us in the past few weeks. They had great tactics, amazing support from their fans and such confidence it was really terrifying.

And as you described it, ManU is more than capable of doing so.

If Bayern are able to put up their game we will possibly end up with a win (not to sound condescending or arrogant, but when we play to our maximum I don't see many teams succeeding against us this season - the momentum we have from last season is astounding), but I can see Manchester rendering this near impossible.

Gonna be an interesting game and quite frankly...I'm a bit nervous.

That's what I'm scared of. There have been some teams that made life hard for us in the past few weeks. They had great tactics, amazing support from their fans and such confidence it was really terrifying.

And as you described it, ManU is more than capable of doing so.

If Bayern are able to put up their game we will possibly end up with a win (not to sound condescending or arrogant, but when we play to our maximum I don't see many teams succeeding against us this season - the momentum we have from last season is astounding), but I can see Manchester rendering this near impossible.

Gonna be an interesting game and quite frankly...I'm a bit nervous.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Our season is effectively over. We have already hit our bottom and we don't have anything more to lose. Of course, getting beat 6-0 or something tonight would add further embarrassment to the club, but in truth, all we have left to play for is pride.

A lot of pressure will be on Bayern to come here and turn us over. They've got a great team, won trophies last season and will be expected to keep that going. I'd even go as far to say that most of the pressure is on them, considering that we've underperformed and are expected to lose tonight.

I have bet £10 that Bayern will win. I hope that I do not lose this bet.

I have bet £10 that Bayern will win. I hope that I do not lose this bet.

What odds did you get on that?

That is like saying no team but the top 4 from the previous season should win the league otherwise it'll be unfair.

Are you going to say the same thing about Man Utd next season?

What we'll probably end up with is this:

De Gea

Smalling - Ferdinand - Vidic - Buttner

Valencia - Cleverley - Carrick - Giggs

Welbeck - Rooney

Wasn't too far wrong.

De Gea

Jones - Ferdinand - Vidic - Buttner

Valencia - Fellaini - Carrick - Giggs

Welbeck - Rooney

We'll probably have Rooney dropping deep, playing behind Welbeck. Surprised that he's going with Fellaini, I'm curious to see how he'll perform in this game. Could make himself a hero tonight.

Anyway, a different team to the one I wanted. But, there was absolutely no chance we'd have Kagawa playing.