NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

I really did want Liverpool to win & Man City to lose for any chance of Arsenal getting 3rd.

As boring as they are, you got to hand it to Jose.

This pic still made me laugh though...

cJReqHU.jpg

It's a Mourinho masterclass

I can take the loss, but I'm not having that.

At best Chelsea deserved the 0-0 they played for, Mourinho deserves no credit for Gerrard handing him the win. Gerrard slips and everyone says Jose is a genius :confused:. The only credit for the goal anyone could possibly give him is that he had the foresight to pick Ba instead of Torres who would have fluffed it.

People can think this is sour grapes all they want, it isn't. I've always thought it bollocks that managers get the credit/blame for entirely random incidents that had nothing to do with them and their tactics. Sometimes the ball just rolls your way.

Spot on Jose. Now go win it Man City, the lesser of the three evils.

I can take the loss, but I'm not having that.

At best Chelsea deserved the 0-0 they played for, Mourinho deserves no credit for Gerrard handing him the win. Gerrard slips and everyone says Jose is a genius :confused:. The only credit for the goal anyone could possibly give him is that he had the foresight to pick Ba instead of Torres who would have fluffed it.

People can think this is sour grapes all they want, it isn't. I've always thought it bollocks that managers get the credit/blame for entirely random incidents that had nothing to do with them and their tactics. Sometimes the ball just rolls your way.

It was very good tactically, people say we play for a draw but that's crap. We played to our advantage where we'd let you have the ball and just restrict you to half chances from a distance whilst poking for a counter. When opportunities arose we took them.

Just because we're not bellowing forward it doesn't mean we're not out to win. You go on like Mignolet had nothing to do, he had to make crucial saves.

Everyone thought Liverpool's attack was too potent for our defense, Mourinho just proved them wrong is all.

Gerrard slips and everyone says Jose is a genius :confused:

Just wait until the media go into full Mourinho-fangasm mode.

It was very good tactically, people say we play for a draw but that's crap. We played to our advantage where we'd let you have the ball and just restrict you to half chances from a distance whilst poking for a counter. When opportunities arose we took them.

Just because we're not bellowing forward it doesn't mean we're not out to win. You go on like Mignolet had nothing to do, he had to make crucial saves.

Everyone thought Liverpool's attack was too potent for our defense, Mourinho just proved them wrong is all.

It was very good tactically for not conceding. He was sensibly cautious, I've no problem with that. Jose can take credit for not conceding.

But how did Chelsea's tactics contribute to the first goal? It was a totally unforced error. As if Jose saw Gerrard's random slip in his crystal ball before the game. No doubt they rode their luck, not saying that's bad, everyone does it, but riding your luck is hardly a tactic. If it is it's not something you deserve any credit for. That's all I'm saying.

It was very good tactically for not conceding. He was sensibly cautious, I've no problem with that. Jose can take credit for not conceding.

But how did Chelsea's tactics contribute to the first goal? It was a totally unforced error. As if Jose saw Gerrard's random slip in his crystal ball before the game. No doubt they rode their luck, not saying that's bad, everyone does it, but riding your luck is hardly a tactic. If it is it's not something you deserve any credit for. That's all I'm saying.

You know we won 2-0 right, not just 1-0? Nobody is saying it was a masterclass for the first goal alone.

Spot on Jose. Now go win it Man City, the lesser of the three evils.

And we finally agree on something :)

Managers live and die by their results alone, I don't recall you berating Rodgers when Liverpool beat Norwich by a lucky deflection or Man City when the ref missed a blatant handball by Skrtle. As a manager you can only set a team up with tactics, dodgy refs & players mistakes are beyond your control. Mourinho sent out a team to not concede and nick a goal... job done.

I will feel gutted for Gerrard if is he has just lost his last chance of a league title, he deserves to complete his set of trophies.

And we finally agree on something :)

you can't see City slipping up again. Should be a cracking final day.

You know we won 2-0 right, not just 1-0? Nobody is saying it was a masterclass for the first goal alone.

Yes I realise that, you scored a second goal in injury time because we were desperately chasing the game, and we were only chasing the game because we gifted you a goal which had nothing to do Jose's tactics.

I'm not even picking on Jose. It happens all the time, two teams will play out a 0-0 for 89 minutes, neither manager's tactics produce a goal/win. Then a goalkeeper will clear the ball against his own defender into his own net and they lose 1-0. And then the pundits go on and on about how the winning manager "got his tactics spot on", when in fact his tactics were no more productive than the other managers, who apparently got his tactics all wrong despite only losing to a fluke goal.

Managers live and die by their results alone, I don't recall you berating Rodgers when Liverpool beat Norwich by a lucky deflection or Man City when the ref missed a blatant handball by Skrtle. As a manager you can only set a team up with tactics, dodgy refs & players mistakes are beyond your control. Mourinho sent out a team to not concede and nick a goal... job done.

That's exactly what I'm saying, it's not as cut and dry as people say, a lot is beyond the managers control.

Though at least with a deflected shot you can say you created your own luck, that goal can still come as a result of Rodgers's attacking tactics. Can't people see the difference between something like that and an unforced error such as gerrard's slip which today's game evidently hinged on. That's all I'm saying, for god's sake.

If the tactics are 'hold out for a draw and try and nick it on the break or via a defensive slip-up', I'd say that was spot on.

If the tactics are 'hold out for a draw and try and nick it on the break or via a defensive slip-up', I'd say that was spot on.

If. As though whatever happens = tactical decision.

The bottom line is I don't feel beaten by Jose's tactics, I feel we beat ourselves today. I'm happy to agree to disagree. Jose had the tactics to hold onto the lead, and even score again as we chased the game, I always gave him that. But we handed him the 3 points today.

And I'm not just bitter about today's result, it's just reminded me of something I've felt for a long time.

For exaplme I've seen several Utd games this season where Utd have peppered the opposition goal, hitting the post, forcing the keeper to make incredible saves, missing open goals etc. And they either drew or lost by the odd goal, and it's all apparently down to Moye's poor tactics, afterall his tactics didn't yeild a result, so by definition they must be bad, right? But if the players put all those chances away and they win, are those very same tactics still bad?

Despite how cool Dani Alves' reaction was the racism that is still obviously present in football is just unacceptable.

Edited by Blade

I really did want Liverpool to win & Man City to lose for any chance of Arsenal getting 3rd.

As boring as they are, you got to hand it to Jose.

This pic still made me laugh though...

cJReqHU.jpg

I've been working since 4pm so only caught the last 15 minutes on the radio on my way to work but that image is exactly what I have been thinking about for a large part of the evening :hmm:

As for what I saw of the game, I thought it was laughable that Chelsea were wasting so much time from the very first minute, something which became less humorous once Ba put them in front towards the end of the first half :hmm:

I can obviously understand why they did it as it stopped Liverpool from building any early momentum but ultimately the slip from Gerrard is what cost us today. Without that moment, the game could easily have faded out to 0-0. As much as I hated what I was seeing, Mourinho got his tactics spot on, not that I was surprised in the slightest. Without the mistake, I don't believe we would have lost but we never looked like scoring either as Chelsea defended so well.

The main thing for Liverpool now is to focus on getting the 3 points from Crystal Palace as it would be all too easy to let our heads drop and give the title to Man City. We have to make sure we're there waiting if Man City do the almost unthinkable and make another mistake. I was obviously hoping that today would be that banana skin but it now looks like the only real hope is at Goodison Park next weekend.

Anyway, well done to Chelsea today, even if I spent the rest of the evening trying to stop myself from getting too upset about what it could all mean in the end..

And now Everton play Man City knowing that realistically 4th place is gone and if they win or draw they hand the title back to Liverpool.

This season is like a Hollywood blockbuster with all the twists and turns.

And now Everton play Man City knowing that realistically 4th place is gone and if they win or draw they hand the title back to Liverpool.

This season is like a Hollywood blockbuster with all the twists and turns.

Interesting point but I can't see Martinez and Everton doing anything other than going for the win.

Final day of the season could be very exciting. Liverpool will need to be in free scoring mode to get a better goal difference. Need to make up 8 + however many City score midweek in 2 matches.

Whilst I'm not entirely neutral (Portsmouth stand to make a million if Liverpool win the title thanks for Glen Johnson) I do still think Liverpool winning the title would be great for the game, the more teams who have the Premiership the better in my eye it makes everything that more competitive. It shows anyone can push into the Top 4. Liverpool were 7th last year and it represents the biggest swing in a team since Everton last won the title.

I think it bodes well for England to have that Liverpool core coming into the World Cup as Champions.

Also I think for huge chunks of the season Man City despite having some huge wins have been sub par. Is that the way our title is going teams winning despite arguably not being the best team that season? (Let's face it at this point that Sir Alex did pull Man Utd to the finish line)

Last night was one of the weirdest matches I've been at in a while. We didn't even get out of second gear, Newcastle offered nothing and Tiote actually got booked! It's so strange to see a Newcastle side that looked so disinterested. Think Monsieur Pardew's days are numbered

I'm very happy to be playing the toon at home on the last day. If needed, I'd say a 10-0 win isn't out the question. :p

I'm very happy to be playing the toon at home on the last day. If needed, I'd say a 10-0 win isn't out the question. :p

I really hope that a 6-0 or something is needed because that is actually achievable and would make for an awesome Soccer Saturday afternoon.

I was thinking about this, if City win their last 3 games by 2 clear goals that puts them at +64 goal difference. We need to win the last 2 games with 15 clear goals..... Please god, let Everton beat City and help us lift the title.

Well a draw would do it, but whatever gives the most breathing room please!

Palace to beat Liverpool and Everton to beat City... please Football Gods, make it happen!

Palace to beat Liverpool and Everton to beat City... please Football Gods, make it happen!

i think we only need draws.

Love him or hate him Mourinho knows his stuff.

Last season failed to get out of the group stages and finished way off the pace in the league. This season potentially Premier League/Champios League double.