NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

It wasn't long ago that Liverpool fans used to tell me there league form suffered because the extra commitments they had in domestic and european competition.

Wasn't too far wrong.

De Gea

Jones - Ferdinand - Vidic - Buttner

Valencia - Fellaini - Carrick - Giggs

Welbeck - Rooney

We'll probably have Rooney dropping deep, playing behind Welbeck. Surprised that he's going with Fellaini, I'm curious to see how he'll perform in this game. Could make himself a hero tonight.

Anyway, a different team to the one I wanted. But, there was absolutely no chance we'd have Kagawa playing.

De Gea

Jones - Ferdinand - Vidic - Buttner

Valencia - Fellaini - Carrick - Giggs - Welbeck

Rooney

I think that's how they'll line out. United are 11/2 and 6/1 with the bookies to win the match. Says it all.

It wasn't long ago that Liverpool fans used to tell me there league form suffered because the extra commitments they had in domestic and european competition.

It winds me up when fans of any team say stuff like that. If the league is that important or if they don't care so much about the other competitions, why not put your youths, reserves or fringe players out for those games. Every club has players that need a run out, or players coming back from injury, or their youths need to get some match experience.

I'd say that, as a whole, the Liverpool fans have been pretty realistic for the last few years. Yes, they've had nice little runs here and there in the cups, but they've mostly been realistic about the league. Yes, you will get that vocal optimism that a lot of fans from different clubs will give off, stuff about winning the league, top four, but I'd say that they're usually realistic about where they'd end up. They've known for a while that the squad hasn't been good enough or needs more quality. At least for the last decade or so.

Funny enough, we'll be going through the same thing. You'll get a lot of fans saying that we'll win the league next year, because we're optimistic. But, realistically, we know that there's a lot of work to be done. If we thought this year was hard, next year is going to be even harder because Liverpool will strengthen (title or no title), as will City and Chelsea. Spurs will bring in more players and have a new manager, and I expect Arsenal will be up there. It might even be somewhat of a blessing for our team next year if we don't play in Europe because our focus should be on breaking back into the top 4. I don't think Moyes is ready to challenge on so many fronts yet.

One more telling statistic. In the last 4 years Guardiola has lost 13 games, the same number Moyes has lost this season alone.

It's been an intriguing first half at Old Trafford. Bayern Munich had a lot of possession, as expected, and look dangerous.. but they never managed to create a clear chance. Danny Welbeck had an amazing chance towards the end of the half but, unfortunately for United, made the wrong choice. Putting my Liverpool hat on, I'd have to say that if it was Daniel Sturridge, it's probably 1-0 :heh:

Edited by nekunando

:hmm:

Why didn't the ref give Welbeck's goal? Didn't see anything that would justify his call.

We can't get near the goal. Passing around the box doesn't help. 7 or more defenders in the box aren't easy to crack, especially since they are in peak form.

Madzukic for Müller now and Götze for Kroos around the 60 minute mark.

We need a goal, and we need it fast, because I can see ManU scoring if we make another mistake *cough* Boateng *cough*

What odds did you get on that?

1/2

My £5 is looking a lot less assured after that first half...

Rooney, what a dick! I hear he's missing the Newcastle game on Saturday so he can enter the Grand National instead.

Edited by jayseven
Changing "d1ck" to "dick" because it's ridiculous

*cough* Boateng *cough* :indeed:

Schweinsteiger with an unnecessary foul. Seriously, what a stupid decision to go in like that in that moment...

Mandzukic put in for Müller, won a header -> goal. And such an important one.

Götze was sent in too late.

Now ManU needs a goal themselves in the return match which plays right in our hands.

I'm still nervous, though. Will be another interesting match. :blank:

Defensively, that was probably the best game we've played all season. We kept their chances to a minimum. I went ballistic when Vidic's goal went in. :D

Fellaini and Jones should have been covering Schweinsteiger for his goal, which he took really well.

I was expecting them to have so much of the ball, we were never going to be able to attack them with 60% of the ball (nobody can), but I thought we stifled them around the box. Vidic and Ferdinand were absolutely immense tonight...best centre-back pairing we've had all season, just a shame they're not both a few years younger. They pulled it out of the bag tonight, as did Buttner and Jones, as I thought they did well.

We looked good in the second half with Kagawa. Valencia SHOULD have been sent off, and I think Bayern would have won the game had he gone. But, we got away with that. Finally, some luck this season.

I can see Bayern beating us in Munich, especially as we'll have to go there and score at least once. But, either way, we didn't disgrace ourselves and we put in a good shift. Considering how we've done in the big games this season, I thought we showed that we can still compete with the best. Hopefully this will give the team some confidence for the return leg.

The 2nd half of Barca/Atletico was basically the Iniesta show. FCB completely dominated the half, but Diego scored an absolute wonder goal against the run of play:

Not too long after that, Iniesta gave Neymar the PERFECT through pass, which in turn allowed him to finesse the shot first time, with his right foot, and into the far side.

Two great goals, all to play for in the 2nd leg. Love it.

Barcelona have just been given a 14 month (2 transfer windows) ban from signing players for breaking rules on signing international players under the age of 18.

This will be huge for football in Spain as Barca have an aging squad that does need a few replacements.

It is also huge for clubs like Arsenal who sell all their good players to the big clubs.

1/2

My £5 is looking a lot less assured after that first half...

Somewhere online was offering a promo of 3/1.. Although you'd have lost your money there too.

It is also huge for clubs like Arsenal who sell all their good players to the big clubs.

Oh, you...

Yep. My fiance is not happy with me.

Lost £10 on what I thought was a a risk free bet, and now she thinks I have a gambling addiction.

I blame David Moyes.

Nothing will come of this. They'll get around it and they'll point out that if they're in trouble then so should many other clubs. FIFA (Footballs Ironic Fucking Arseholes) one of the most corrupt corporations trying to tell others how to behave? Sort your own house out first!

Edited by jayseven
I will edit the swearwords back into your posts each time I see them

This ban won't stick, I'm sure of it. Although I've not read up on this and can't quite remember the full details, didn't a similar thing happen to Chelsea and they ended up getting their ban heavily reduced? Same thing will happen.

Either way, I'm sure Barcelona will find a way to cope. They've got great youngsters in their academy and youth teams, so it'll just mean that they'll look to promote from within instead of buying elsewhere. The two areas in particular will be in goal and in defence.

Chelsea was with just one club (Lyon I think) and just one player, and they sorted it out and the charges were dropped.

Barcalona is with 10 players at many different clubs, so it's worse.

Urgh, what a dire performance in that second half. Not one attack to note at all... we played worse than we did at Palace.

That was a potentially killer 3rd goal for PSG, Cech should do much better. I wouldn't say PSG are through yet mind, they have to go to Stamford bridge.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

Some footage of our Tuesday night game against Brentford. Shocking ref, thank god for the linesman! Bramall Lane was going mad. Never seen owt like it! A penalty and red card rescinded within a match.

Edited by Blade

Pleased about barcas ban, big rumours they were after lloris and Vertonghen! Last thing we need is to sell our best players again!

Some footage of our Tuesday night game against Brentford. Shocking ref, thank god for the linesman! Bramall Lane was going mad. Never seen owt like it! A penalty and red card rescinded within a match.

I was waiting for the ball to be smashed into the net from the drop ball to see what would have happened after that :heh:

Last thing we need is to sell our best players again!

Both Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton say hi.