NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Just embarrassing. I don't know what's worse, me going mental at Hernandez's goal to keep us in a League Cup semi at home to Sunderland or United scoring 1 (one) penalty out of five. Feel for DDG thought he was gonna cry as it was going to pens but it is his first clanger of the season I suppose.

As for Mata he is genuinely world class but it would be the third number 10 in our squad although he would definitely improve us. Guillem Balague says its a done deal and I hope he is right.

It's amazing how many teams are having a go at us now. A few years ago, we'd have closed this game out and have got a clean sheet out of it. We're nowhere near as clinical as we should be.

I agree about it being another number 10, but I think Mata is versatile enough for that not to be a problem. He's a quality player and will definitely improve us. (if it does happen)

Couldn't agree more. Will be a huge addition to Man Utd's squad if the deal happens.

Agreed. I'm waiting for the whole thing to go tits up, mind.

The thing that worries me most about the Mata deal (if it goes through) is that Moyes will play him out of position. He is already reluctant to play Kagawa there when it is his best position and when Rooney and RVP are both fit is he going to play a number 10 just behind them as well?

If it does go through and we play Januzaj on the left, Valencia on the right, Carrick in a sitting midfield and then Mata behind Rooney and RVP then I really think we'd be a hell of a lot stronger. But then of course someone like Fletcher would be missing and he's been playing well considering he was out for so long and should only get better with more games...

Valencia should no longer be first choice. He's been a 6/10 player at best this season. The one good thing he used to be fantastic at was his crossing and he's no longer great at that. It's no surprise that we seem to be relying on Januzaj because the other wingers aren't cutting it.

I'd like to see something like this...

RVP up top.

A three of Mata, Januzaj and Rooney behind him, with the likes of Kagawa coming in to vary it up.

Then two midfielders behind these three to tighten up that midfield and make us defensively strong/provide us with another option in midfield. A Gundogan type of player would be absolutely incredible, but we'd have to be really fucking lucky to get him. If we can turn back the clock and sign Yaya before City get him, then we'd be laughing.

I'd love to see an interchangeable and fluid front 4, with either Van Persie or Rooney leading the attack but each of the four (RVP, Rooney, Mata and Januzaj) being able to drop in and out of positions and vary it up.

It'll never happen, though. We'll most likely play 4-4-2 with Mata on the wing and Rooney up top with RVP when fit, with Januzaj on the other wing. We'll then have to make do with GIGGS AND JONES in midfield. :p

Fucking hell, just watched the highlights and man that was some shit penalty taking from both sides.

Fucking hell, just watched the highlights and man that was some shit penalty taking from both sides.

Pretty sure I cried, brah. Tears of despair.

This does cement Welbeck, Jones and Johnson's England career. We're due some more shite penalty taking at international level. :weep:

Chelsea have accepted a bid of £37 million for Mata apparently.

This does cement Welbeck, Jones and Johnson's England career. We're due some more shite penalty taking at international level. :weep:

Arrgrhghg I didn't even think of them having to take penalties during the World Cup.

My mother predicted who was going to miss their penalties by just basing it on how they walked up to take it.

Phil Jones had to be the funniest.

What a disgraceful penalty shoot out, It was embarrassing. As many have said you could predict who would miss the penalties as they prepared to take them.

Januzaj & Rafael were always going to miss. I dunno why I felt confident that Jones would smash it in, but there you go.

On the plus side, We should be signing Juan Mata today which is great news, Not the player we need, but it's still nice to see some cash splashed and intent shown for signings. Guess Kagawa is off in the summer then.

My mother predicted who was going to miss their penalties by just basing it on how they walked up to take it.

Phil Jones had to be the funniest.

Yeah, I was saying to my brother I bet he blasts the ball. I didn't expect him to sky the ball over the bar. They were all shocking except for Alonso. That was great. They all kicked low, the 1st Sunderland peno was skyed as well. I think that and Jones made them aim low instead. One of the worst shoot-outs I've ever seen and I honestly can't think off hand of anything worse. They get paid £10's of thousands to do that?

Only Welbeck should be in Brazil and that's only to make up numbers.

Yeah, I was saying to my brother I bet he blasts the ball. I didn't expect him to sky the ball over the bar. They were all shocking except for Alonso. That was great. They all kicked low, the 1st Sunderland peno was skyed as well. I think that and Jones made them aim low instead. One of the worst shoot-outs I've ever seen and I honestly can't think off hand of anything worse. They get paid £10's of thousands to do that?

A professional footballer should not be missing the target from 12 yards. It's shocking.

A professional footballer should not be missing the target from 12 yards. It's shocking.

This. They are handsomely compensated for the 'pressure'.

I think pens are the perfect way to setttle match. It's about putting the ball in the net, what could be more ideal than that?

It's funny how players throw themselves all over the place just to earn a single pen in normal time, but as soon as the ref gives them 5 pens for nothing at the end of a game everybody craps themselves. They'd kill for 5 free shots at goal during normal play.

True. But they are only human and the pressure/nerves will affect anyone regardless of practice or how much they earn.

Yeah, playing 2 up front AND Mata behind is absolute suicie Edd. I agree with Flink, Moyes will (and SHOULD), play Persie up top and Rooney, Mata, Januzaj behind. Very good. Still need decent midfielders behind that but that's a decent 4.

And Welbeck to Brazil?! Oh god... He's just awful. Just can't see him developing in any meaningful way.

We've got Rooney and Sturridge, then who else? Welbeck if I'm not mistaken is the next highest English scorer in the league.

Yeah, playing 2 up front AND Mata behind is absolute suicie Edd. I agree with Flink, Moyes will (and SHOULD), play Persie up top and Rooney, Mata, Januzaj behind. Very good. Still need decent midfielders behind that but that's a decent 4.

And Welbeck to Brazil?! Oh god... He's just awful. Just can't see him developing in any meaningful way.

I think they're just going to throw him out of the plane when they're flying over the Amazon and hope that when pre-season comes around he hasn't found his way back to Old Trafford. I heard The Lesser Spotted Bebe was parachuted in there some years ago. Throw out the whole M U team while they're at it. Give Rooney a Shrek schoolbag full of wigs instead of a parachute.

True. But they are only human and the pressure/nerves will affect anyone regardless of practice or how much they earn.

As pratty said, they get paid enough that the pressure shouldn't affect their ability to kick the ball into a net from 12 yards.

Footballers get paid a lot of money due to supply and demand, not much of a supple and huge demand for top talent so they get paid a fortune weekly. They should be able to cope with pressure, especially in the Carling Cup.

As pratty said, they get paid enough that the pressure shouldn't affect their ability to kick the ball into a net from 12 yards.

Footballers get paid a lot of money due to supply and demand, not much of a supple and huge demand for top talent so they get paid a fortune weekly. They should be able to cope with pressure, especially in the Carling Cup.

While the pressure is a factor, they should be at least hitting the target and not skying the balls all over the place. I mean getting it saved is one thing but knocking it over the bar is another. :D

Does money numb your emotions and senses? It does fuck all for mine.

Does money numb your emotions and senses? It does fuck all for mine.

All the more reason to pay them less.

I get that they're only human, but the pressure only comes from the consequences of not being able to do something very simple and fundemental for a highly paid professional footballer, which is kicking the ball at the goal.

A player confident in his ability needn't feel any pressure, he should welcome a penalty and expect to hit the target and make it somewhat difficult for the goalkeeper, which is all I'd ask. If the keeper saves it then that's different, well played him. What's really sad though is a player not having the guts to take a penalty at all.

All the more reason to pay them less.

I get that they're only human, but the pressure only comes from the consequences of not being able to do something very simple and fundemental for a highly paid professional footballer, which is kicking the ball at the goal.

A player confident in his ability needn't feel any pressure, he should welcome a penalty and expect to hit the target and make it somewhat difficult for the goalkeeper, which is all I'd ask. If the keeper saves it then that's different, well played him. What's really sad though is a player not having the guts to take a penalty at all.

How does this money excuse work on international level when most teams donate any proceeds to charities?

How does this money excuse work on international level when most teams donate any proceeds to charities?

Perhaps it doesn't. I think it's fair the performance expected should be relative to the money being paid. If they're being paid the big bucks then could they at least kick the ball at the goal?

I have far more respect for a player missing a penalty for free, than a player mssing a penalty and then collecting a weekly paycheck for 50 grand.

Even so, with money aside you'd think kicking the ball at the goal would be childsplay for a international level professional footballer.

Obviously delighted at the result as a Sunderland fan...penners were poor. Looked like our players were dead on their feet. Was a superb semi final in the end. Will be off to the final and hope we can continue to be City's bogey team!

Also: we're looking much better under Gus Poyet - who has worked wonders tbh. Just need a better striker. Dozy I'llnotscore is really struggling.

I only just realised Mata will be ineligible to play for Man U in the Champions League wen next round starts wont he?

While I'm sure he'll do well to improve their league position I'd hope Moyes is looking to buy a few more (preferably defenders and midfielders) that can help keep them in Europe for longer and maybe (loooong shot i know) slavage some silverware for the season :heh:

Edited by Mokong

Obviously delighted at the result as a Sunderland fan...penners were poor. Looked like our players were dead on their feet. Was a superb semi final in the end. Will be off to the final and hope we can continue to be City's bogey team!

Also: we're looking much better under Gus Poyet - who has worked wonders tbh. Just need a better striker. Dozy I'llnotscore is really struggling.

You look miles better under Poyet. The commitment the players showed was fantastic, great hustling when not in possession and they looked more dangerous when they had the ball. Can't say that they didn't deserve to be in the final more than us.

I've been terrified/scared shitless that the Mata deal would collapse. But, it looks like it's going through. This is how I've felt all day...

Antonio-Banderas-computer-you-got-me-yospos-reaction-13677939419.gif

Number 7 shirt I'm hearing. Is that right?

Question: "Any news on Draxler?"

Answer: "There's no news at all"

URWHzkD.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10596260/Julian-Draxler-desperate-to-join-Arsenal-in-the-January-transfer-window-but-Schalke-hold-out-for-37-million-fee.html

Nothing definitive of course, but I'm even more curious now.

Edited by -Dem0-