NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Well it may only be 7 games in but to think Sunderland and Crystal Palace are already being cut adrift. It's also great to see Southampton crashing in on the top 4, so far it's been very competitive and it's so close between the first 11 teams.

That's what happens when you start Jermaine Fucking Defoe. I said we'd be atrocious when I saw he started. Painful painful match.

Was he in goal? trololololololololol

When west ham score 3 against you at home, surely one of the last players to blame would be your forwards?

Really enjoying season so far, points being dropped all over the place keeping it tight!

West Brom were good to watch today, making a draw a fair result at least.

When west ham score 3 against you at home, surely one of the last players to blame would be your forwards?

Especially when those 3 goals are the opponents first goals on the road this season.

West Brom were good to watch today, making a draw a fair result at least.

Think you're right. Very close game, either team could have nicked it. We were off the beat first half, second half we were better but not good enough to break down West Brom's defence.

I thought Norwich were unlucky, admittedly I only caught the last 30 or so minutes, battled to get back level then a massive cock up and they go behind. Willian's goal was a decent strike, but it's one of those ones where you're left thinking if Norwich hadn't lost their heads after second would it have happened.

Why the hell is everyone talking about Adnan Januzaj playing for England I thought all the home nations had an agreement in place not to nationalize foreign players? It's been mentioned in the past with Arteta and Cudicini and then numerous players in Scotland and never comes to anything as the rules in place.

You'd think that wouldn't you... if you knew nothing about football. But how it does fuck you up is make your attack impotent, so in every other game bar Chelsea 2nd half this season we have dominated possession, creating incredible amounts of opportunity. Soldado's movement and linkup play allowed this to happen, and this also tires the opposition out as we control the game more and more; they don't have the ball they can't do anything with it. With Defoe, his movement is dire (and offside regularly) and he can't link it up, so we can't pass it around like we used to and the we came to a dead end in the final third because we were missing the link; giving them more of the ball, although we were more than comfortable and had the better chances, they could still come back at us. They scored from a set piece and then countered us as we pushed forward to get back in. It happens.

It's about the balance of the team. Having Soldado up front has resulted in better link up play and ball holding. With Defoe, he is constantly making runs and straying out of position, which works fine against Europa league oppposition, but in the prem the oppostion get the ball and counter attack swiftly. So when a team is used to a high line and the midfield pushing up quickly to support the striker, all of a sudden they are all caught out, and Morrison has the space to score a blinder!

This season is fantastic, so open. Ominously though that Utd have been written off already, and only 6 points off the top!

Bought tickets to my first ever Prem game this weekend, following Oxford means its taken awhile, but in the home end to watch Aston Villa take on AVB on the 20th. I can admire Andre quietly from afar at least...

You'd think that wouldn't you... if you knew nothing about football. But how it does fuck you up is make your attack impotent, so in every other game bar Chelsea 2nd half this season we have dominated possession, creating incredible amounts of opportunity. Soldado's movement and linkup play allowed this to happen, and this also tires the opposition out as we control the game more and more; they don't have the ball they can't do anything with it. With Defoe, his movement is dire (and offside regularly) and he can't link it up, so we can't pass it around like we used to and the we came to a dead end in the final third because we were missing the link; giving them more of the ball, although we were more than comfortable and had the better chances, they could still come back at us. They scored from a set piece and then countered us as we pushed forward to get back in. It happens.

You've now played 7 games, Soldado hasn't scored from open play as of yet, you've only scored more than 1 goal in a game once. Why are all these "incredible amounts of opportunity" not being taken advantage off? Certainly not down to the opposition keeper every time.

I've not seen yesterday's game so can't comment on it but I'm guessing AVB went with Defoe because he's banged the goals in and Soldado hasn't.

You've now played 7 games, Soldado hasn't scored from open play as of yet, you've only scored more than 1 goal in a game once. Why are all these "incredible amounts of opportunity" not being taken advantage off? Certainly not down to the opposition keeper every time.

I've not seen yesterday's game so can't comment on it but I'm guessing AVB went with Defoe because he's banged the goals in and Soldado hasn't.

When did I say Soldado has been banging them in or having opportunity after opportunity? I said he is integral to us CREATING THEM, but not him having them all. Please read my posts. And Defoe has been banging them in against WEAK opposition like he has done his WHOLE CAREER; he's never scored 20 a season, he's never had a full consistent season, he's never really scored against big clubs; I love him, he's a spurs legend, but these are facts. Soldado HAS proven it in spain consistently, and even seeing him in the first few games you can see his movement and link up; goals will come, but even when they're not he's still absolutely involved. Soldado played once in Europe, and scored 2 goals. It's not as simple as defoe has been scoring more so should play, I said this before and was proven exactly right after. Defoe is a great impact sub, he's good against weak opposition, but he simply isn't good enough for our first team, especially with one up front.

I reckon he started yes as a reward for scoring lots of goals, and it backfired in spectacular fashion. Hopefully it won't happen again.

It's not as simple as defoe has been scoring more so should play, I said this before and was proven exactly right after. Defoe is a great impact sub, he's good against weak opposition, but he simply isn't good enough for our first team, especially with one up front.

I reckon he started yes as a reward for scoring lots of goals, and it backfired in spectacular fashion. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Prior to the match yesterday West Ham had 5 points from 6 games and were well down the table. Do they not count as 'weak' opposition?

Prior to the match yesterday West Ham had 5 points from 6 games and were well down the table. Do they not count as 'weak' opposition?

Yeah of course, and he usually scores a few goals against them. But just because he's good against weak opposition it doesn't mean he's good against them all the time. In fact, generally he's always weak for the team, but he has incredible strike so can get goals; he could and should have scored yesterday before they scored but his hit it as hard as he can at the keeper didn't quite work this time.

I'm sounding like I hate defoe. I don't at all. I'm just pointing out how not good enough he is for our first 11 and how he cripples our play.

When did I say Soldado has been banging them in or having opportunity after opportunity? I said he is integral to us CREATING THEM, but not him having them all. Please read my posts. And Defoe has been banging them in against WEAK opposition like he has done his WHOLE CAREER; he's never scored 20 a season, he's never had a full consistent season, he's never really scored against big clubs; I love him, he's a spurs legend, but these are facts. Soldado HAS proven it in spain consistently, and even seeing him in the first few games you can see his movement and link up; goals will come, but even when they're not he's still absolutely involved. Soldado played once in Europe, and scored 2 goals. It's not as simple as defoe has been scoring more so should play, I said this before and was proven exactly right after. Defoe is a great impact sub, he's good against weak opposition, but he simply isn't good enough for our first team, especially with one up front.

Please read the post.

You originally said your team has 'created incredible amounts of opportunities'

I never stated you said Soldado has banged them in, quite the contrary, I said he couldn't score for shit if it isn't from the penalty spot.

My point was/is, if you're indeed creating incredible amounts of opportunity every game, why have you managed only once to score more than a single goal?

Football 2013/14 season, winning by now really difficult to predict. La Liga Real Madrid or Barcelona in contention. Serie A Roman projections. Bundesliga Dortmund rise chase. Premier League not to mention, in the competition.

Football 2013/14 season, winning by now really difficult to predict. La Liga Real Madrid or Barcelona in contention. Serie A Roman projections. Bundesliga Dortmund rise chase. Premier League not to mention, in the competition.

Dazzy you using that bloody iPad again?

We have finally sacked David Weir! Thank fuck!! He were absolutely useless!

Well Ireland's first game without Trappatoni a 3-0 lose to Germany.

And dispite the score I'm pretty pleased with the performance overall.

We've only got an Interm Manager (Noel King, was the Under-21's boss)for this and the Kazak game on Tuesday so we don't have a proper new manager in yet so we were never really gonna see the "shape of things to come" (little BSG reference there :wink:) from tonight or Tuesday.

Different look line up, some players in the team that Trap had exiled, and could see a different feel to them. Still a lot of sitting back and long ball play alá Trap's style but the team seemed to have a bit more spirit in them than when Trap was on the touch line. There were also a fair few moments in the second half where we did show some actual good passing play and showed a bit of creativity on the ball that was totally lacking in the last few years under Trap. And those moments did create some good goal chances.... just none went in, haha

I hope when the new manager comes in he can give the players the confidence and belief to play like that more, I would love to see that happen. *dreams*

Millwall Goalkeeper, David Forde played a blinder in goal though, the scoreline does not do his performance justice at all. The defence let their keeper down when Germany got there was little to nothing he could do about the first 2 goals that's for sure. Forde pulled off some Superman like saves and had not been for him Germany could have had 10 goals and that's no joke. He still seems a little lacking confidence at some points (usually when the ball comes back to him in open play and he has to kick it). I find it just a shame he didn't break into team at a younger age. If he broke into the team say 4 years ago built his confidence then and he'd be even better today than he is..... but t'is all if's and buts I guess.

Should do well on Tuesday to finish off the group vs Kazakhstan though will only finish 4th, which will prolly see us drop a seeding pot for the draw for groups for Euro 2016 qualifiying.

We have finally sacked David Weir! Thank fuck!! He were absolutely useless!

I can't say I'm surprised to be honest. I've never understood when clubs sack experienced managers and then go for an internal appointment for someone who worked under the previous manager. Which I think was the case with Weir? I mean look at Wolves when they sacked Mick McCarthy and then gave the job to Terry O Connor (or whatever his name was) it's just bound for failure. Worrying in that respect Chris Morgan is second favourite at 4/1. Nigel Clough favourite at 2/1. Other people worth noticing Stuart McCall 4/1 Paulo Di Canio 8/1, Neil Warnock 16/1. My favs ex pompey boys: Michael Appleton 16/1, Avram Grant 33/1, David Unsworth 33/1

Well we have 13 teams who will definitely be playing in Brazil next year.

Brazil, Argentina, Japan, Australia, Iran, South Korea, Netherlands, Italy, Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Costa Rica and USA.

A good line-up last night. I'm glad to see that Townsend was given a game, we need more exciting players like this getting game time, especially ahead of the likes of Milner and Young who are awful.

Only criticism is that there seems to be a lull around the 20-30 minute mark in each of their games. They can't seem to play at a higher tempo consistently through matches. The ball needs to be moved quicker.

Also, very happy to see Belgium get through. The videos on the Belgium news sites that Ine reads have been great to watch, proper passion and love for their team. I did think Belgium were going to struggle against Croatia away, as there are one or two players who are a bit under-par for their teams at the moment (Vertonghen, Vermaelen, Fellaini, Benteke injured, Hazard hit and miss), but Lukaku just drove them forward. Chelsea are fucking maniacs for letting him go on loan again. Either that, or insanely clever, knowing that he'll get the game time to be even better for next season.

I'm a little surprised there isn't more talk of England v Montenegro in here, especially when you consider the importance of the game ::shrug:

I had played the fixture on the Wii version of PES 2012 before the match, resulting in a 2-1 victory for England.. though a first half goal from Darren Bent was unlikely to be replicated :indeed:

As for the actual match, Montenegro offered nothing yet England looked pretty poor in trying to break them down. The speed of their play was excruitiatingly slow, totally going against the type of football we see in the Premier League each week. I wish the shackles were removed and meant England would really go for teams from the first minute! I was never particularly keen on the appointment of Roy Hodgson and feel that, despite his flaws, Harry Redknapp could have injected some energy into the side..

As it stands, Poland could yet be a problematic fixture :hmm:

I'm a little surprised there isn't more talk of England v Montenegro in here, especially when you consider the importance of the game ::shrug:

I had played the fixture on the Wii version of PES 2012 before the match, resulting in a 2-1 victory for England.. though a first half goal from Darren Bent was unlikely to be replicated :indeed:

As for the actual match, Montenegro offered nothing yet England looked pretty poor in trying to break them down. The speed of their play was excruitiatingly slow, totally going against the type of football we see in the Premier League each week. I wish the shackles were removed and meant England would really go for teams from the first minute! I was never particularly keen on the appointment of Roy Hodgson and feel that, despite his flaws, Harry Redknapp could have injected some energy into the side..

As it stands, Poland could yet be a problematic fixture :hmm:

Loooool, I've just spend the morning playing PES2011 Wii. Belgium vs. Croatia. Somehow, Belgium are a four star team around that time, think the likes of Kompany and Fellaini boosted their stats.

Loooool, I've just spend the morning playing PES2011 Wii. Belgium vs. Croatia. Somehow, Belgium are a four star team around that time, think the likes of Kompany and Fellaini boosted their stats.

I still have PES 2011.. it's probably the best of the lot : peace: We should totally play some night :heh: