NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Haha, @Blade. Let's hope for a score like that tomorrow.

As much as I love Owen for the goals he scored in a United shirt, I have to agree that the guy is as exciting to listen to as a sponge. He's dull as fuck.

That wasn't the point though. The point is that the date is chosen by FIFA and is for every country in the world, every country/league can choose their own start date. It just so happens that a number of European leagues start this weekend, if it was such a big deal they would either change. They could also choose not to play a friendly.

Also along with not having to play a friendly all the FAs agree on the international calendar way ahead of time....

I don't see the issue players still trying to find fitness one extra match can't do any harm at this point.

Anyway, i've double checked, and every team plays every other team. Twice. So in that respect it's going to be a good season, and very similar to last.

goose-laughing.gif

You're all going to be spoilt for choice with all of these signings that United are making.

Pretty poor summer, imo. Unless Moyes' plan is to actually use the youth that we have (Januzaj, Lingard) and give more game time to the likes of Anderson and Cleverely. If not, we're going to be very lightweight in midfield, unless Carrick has another masterclass of a season.

Defence worries me. A lot.

MORRISON!!!

How many mistakes has Hart made over the past year? He never gets pulled up for it.

Okay, so I'm a Bristol City fan... I despise the gas 'rovers' but I could not help but smile alot when Lambert scored then. He's not Bristolian... It must just be my Bristolian pride to see a former Bristol team player score on his England debut.

Fuck Bristol Rovers... But chuffed to bits for Lambert.

Enjoyed that. Better than your average friendly. Got me even more excited for the start of the premier league at the weekend too.

Good to see Welbz getting a goal and 90 minutes. Needs to start delivering the goals this year. Happy for Lambert. What a moment for him!

Some good individual performances. Welbeck was definitely man of the match and Lambert did well with his goal. In general, the overall play is a bit gash and a lot of the critics are right...England don't have a style of play. When we play possession football, we're slow and there's not enough movement from players. When we try to play attacking football, we're just not quick enough on the whole to do this and put chances away.

Well done to Scotland for making a game of it, they deserved both of those goals and were a bit unlucky not to get a draw.

Rapidly going off Rooney. I lost tons of respect for him after his first contract debacle and he hasn't done enough to win me around yet. Maybe he should have spent some of this pre-season working on his attitude and game, rather than trying to engineer a move elsewhere. Overshadowed tonight in many aspects by both Welbeck and Lambert when he came on.

Most of the England players seem scared to run with the ball and take defenders on as opposed to trying to pass their way through:hmm:

I'd like to see Rooney play left wing - give him freedom to track back as well as cut inside when going for goal. Though ideally the players would be interchanging positions far more frequently than they currently do.

Most of the England players seem scared to run with the ball and take defenders on as opposed to trying to pass their way through:hmm:

I'd like to see Rooney play left wing - give him freedom to track back as well as cut inside when going for goal. Though ideally the players would be interchanging positions far more frequently than they currently do.

I think the players must be paying attention to possession stats way too much or something. Where's the sense in having 90% pass completion if the passes don't even go fucking forward?!

I respect players like Walcott who actually do go and have a go. Sure, they might fuck up, but it's better to at least try and take a fullback on, rather than passing through or around them. It's why I love Rafael so much at United, he just doesn't give a fuck and will try to run through or around anybody.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game. So many positives to take for us for sure. Disappointing to lose 2 goals from set pieces but we defended well apart from that and looked dangerous going forward. Pleasing to see us sustaining the same level we did against Croatia.

The England midfield is a really good combination. Cleverly is good at dictating that play with his passing and Wilshere makes thing happen when he had the ball and the experience of Stevie Gerrard complements that well. You've got a very talented forward bunch too, Rooney was a bit off colour but understandably so. Your centre backs though are a weak point. Cahill got absolutely mugged by Kenny Miller for the 2nd goal. For a position that's always been a strength for England, Cahill and Jagielka isn't going to cut it against the big boys.

England will have at least one safe centre back develop

He's shite.

Not sour grapes at all here as we gave away cheap goals from set pieces.

Does anyone else think that Kyle Walker should've been sent off for his off-the-ball challenge just before Lampard's booking?

I can't remember the challenge, @Charlie.

As for Phil Jones: Obviously great potential, but I'm worried due to the amount of games he doesn't play as centre-back. He is a centre-back. Not a right back or a defensive midfielder. If he doesn't play more games there, it'll hinder his progress.

At the moment, Chris Smalling looks like the much better player. The successor to Ferdinand in that area. Possibly both at United and England level. I really rate him.

Anyway, the future is changing. It's not longer about last ditch Terry-style tackles. It's more about positional awareness and playing the ball out from the back calmly. Possibly the semi-reintroduction of the sweeper, somebody who can pick up the ball calmly and play it out into midfield.

Not sour grapes at all here as we gave away cheap goals from set pieces.

Does anyone else think that Kyle Walker should've been sent off for his off-the-ball challenge just before Lampard's booking?

I did hear about this but they never showed it so it's hard to day with any certainty. He did out a few harsh tackles in Walker and was generally pretty shit. RB definitely seems to be a week point for England.

Bristol City have been drawn against Rovers in the first round of the johnstones paint trophy.... Fucking football

Great start for Arsenal and my fantasy team there. I have Koscielny and Cazorla, -2 and 0 points respectively. Oh how I missed this :heh:

At least the Mackems lost!