NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

UP - A Masterpiece or Massively Overrated?

First of all, I haven’t seen all Pixar films (though I will probably, one day).

I love Up exactly because of the drama. I can agree with the critique that it’s a bit in contrast with the rest of the film, though that didn’t hamper my enjoyment. It’s similar with Wall-E in that regard, the first half of the film was amazing, the rest wasn’t. In Wall-E it was a bigger problem, because the contrast was bigger.

Personally I blame Disney. I suspect Pixar are a bit restraint in the stuff they do because of them. I would love it if they break up their partnership, so Pixar can unleash their full potential. Wall-E and Up are perfect examples of films hinting Pixar is capable of some intense shit. Animation you don’t see other studios doing. I want more of that. More drama. Stuff that’s not (necessarily) family-orientated.

Neither a masterpiece or 'massively overrated'. In fact I think its pretty underrated within my group of friends.

Personally, its one of my favourite films. I admit the second half isn't as good but the opening to this is jizz worthy. I dont see it as solely sad and depressing. Yeah sure it is a bit sad but its the way the story is told...its freakin beautiful man. Seeing the couple first meet when they were young and then getting married. Awesome. Then finding out that they can't have kids and the eventual death of his wife. Not so awesome. But the way the story is told in this short opening...I still rate it as one of the best openings to a movie. Animated or not.

Oh and how could I forget Doug? One of the best characters after Russell.

:bowdown:

I would say Wall-E is closer to 'masterpiece' status if any of them can be called that, purely because it achieves so much from an animation point of view. It's not a film I watch over and over again, i'll probably watch it once a year if that, but when I do watch it I admire it.

Up is great too, and achieves similar greatness as others have said in the first 10 mins - it's basically down to Pixar's ability to emote a character's feelings without any speech. After that it is pretty much an average, funny animation film.

I guess you can't call either of them a masterpiece as that implies it is something of such greatness you want to watch it over and over again and love it just as much now as in 50 years time. I dont think either film qualifies for that. I love Pixar for telling such fantastical stories filled with heart. That is their genius. But I don't watch them that often. I'd watch movies like Despicable Me and Wreck-It-Ralph more (though neither of which could be called masterpieces either). That being said, masterpiece also implies it is something of originality and significance, something of great beauty, like a classic painting or something, and Wall-E is as close to that achievement as anything.

I really liked Up. I think people are looking at the first 10 minutes situation in the wrong way. Sure it was probably the best part of the movie, but it really set up the the story for the rest of the movie. It was imperative.

I love the music in this movie too :) *sniff*

My main problem with Up is just the small number of obstacles between the main character and his goals (I mean once he gets started, in the scope of the movie, not in his life). Just tie the balloons, float at random, suddenly the fog clears and hey we're nearly there! Now run away from some dogs and you've arrived.

He also had to let go of his bitterness (trust me, it's not easy :heh:) by agreeing to help Russell and the animals and literally throw away 99% of the life he built together with his recently-deceased wife. Plus losing his childhood hero; he's a psychologists dream patient.

Coincidentally been reading the screenplay while on holiday. The opening montage still has a punch to it, but on reflection it's the animation that really causes the grief. In ten minutes they built up these characters and made you sad. It was done in a cheap way, but it was still a technical achievement to be able to get the audience to care so quickly.