NEurope
Fierce_LiNk

UP - A Masterpiece or Massively Overrated?

I'll start off with Shorty's last post in Good Stuff.

The intro is so unnecessarily emotional, it's like "MORTALITY RIGHT?? NOW CRY" and that forced emotion blinds everyone to the fact that almost nothing else happens in the whole film.

I disagree, especially with the notion that nothing happens in the films. The film is a beautiful journey. One man's last adventure.

Personally, I love the film, and it's most probably my favourite pixar animation.

100% agree with you there, and that intro! god it was like that American Dad episode with Tearjerker, i swear they wanted people to break down and cry in the cinema's

I liked it, I don't know if it's a masterpiece - but I liked it. The intro is quite hard and fast hitting; the rest of the film is a bit silly and fun from what I remember. It made me chuckle quite hard in places, that's all I wanted.

Masterpiece? Hmm. I haven't seen it since it came out, I do wonder if it's overrated sometimes though.

I think it's slightly over-rated, but I liked it all the same, and I usually hate Pixar films but always get dragged to them, so it really was a pleasant surprise!

The one thing that really shocked me is that I didn't despise any of the characters because generally, they always manage to get someone who has a voice that just ruins the entire movie for me (like the little girl in Wreck it Ralph).

I think it's slightly over-rated, but I liked it all the same, and I usually hate Pixar films but always get dragged to them, so it really was a pleasant surprise!

The one thing that really shocked me is that I didn't despise any of the characters because generally, they always manage to get someone who has a voice that just ruins the entire movie for me (like the little girl in Wreck it Ralph).

How can you hate Pixar films? I can understand Cars, but films like Toy Story?

As for Wreck-it-Ralph, that is Disney, not Pixar.

I love UP, it is one of the best Pixar films out there I think. The intro is just amazing and really gripping, the rest of the story is a big adventure filled with funny moments. Jim and I were laughing out loud in the cinema at some points (we were pretty much the only ones in there at the time =P ).

I have seen the film about 5 or 6 times now and still don't tire of it. Dug is just one of the best characters and really reminds me of my dog. Makes me wish my dog could talk haha.

How can you hate Pixar films? I can understand Cars, but films like Toy Story?

As for Wreck-it-Ralph, that is Disney, not Pixar.

I love UP, it is one of the best Pixar films out there I think. The intro is just amazing and really gripping, the rest of the story is a big adventure filled with funny moments. Jim and I were laughing out loud in the cinema at some points (we were pretty much the only ones in there at the time =P ).

I have seen the film about 5 or 6 times now and still don't tire of it. Dug is just one of the best characters and really reminds me of my dog. Makes me wish my dog could talk haha.

Oops. In that case I obviously don't know too much about the films to judge them that harshly :P But yeah in general I just don't find them as great as everyone makes them out to be, I did enjoy the first Toy Story but even number 3 left me a bit underwhelmed!

I think it's a great film but if you believe Pixar are anything but emotionally manipulative to a pretty vicious degree...well, you're nuts. UP is their best example of that.

My main problem with Up is just the small number of obstacles between the main character and his goals (I mean once he gets started, in the scope of the movie, not in his life). Just tie the balloons, float at random, suddenly the fog clears and hey we're nearly there! Now run away from some dogs and you've arrived.

It's not that it isn't funny, well made, well written etc - it's up there with most Pixar movies in that sense (although I don't find the idea of a talking dog funny, sorry) - it's just the basic premise is underwhelming and the plot floats along too easily.

Edited by Shorty

It's a stupid movie. Amazing start, good first half, then it completely falls of a cliff during the second half.

Wall-E trumps it in every single way.

How can you hate Pixar films? I can understand Cars,

Cars was a terrible movie, well no it was a reasonable movie but not great, but it spawned cars 2 and nobody should be forgiven for that!

UP is a wonderful film. I don't think it's quite a full-bloodied classic but the opening sequence is a superb piece of narrative cinema that you don't expect to see in mainstream movie making and especially not in a kid-friendly family film. The central character relationship is richly realised and it spins very naturally into it's eventual conclusion as a story of mourning. I think it's only problem is the pacing is slightly too gradual for a lot of the movie and it never really offers a true sense of peril, but these are minor issues in an evocative film with a rare emotional complexity.

First of all: Up is an amazing film.

However, it is overrated. The start of the film is amazingly emotional, and the start of the adventure is brilliant.

The moment they got to the Zeppelin...it was a bit too silly. It tried to go for a scale that didn't suit the film. The villain could have worked, but the army of dogs was stupid. He should have had the first three you see.

The plot could have been so much more focused without the "army of dogs" and having one vicious dog "leader" and two companions could have been much more menacing than an army of comic relief dogs. The fewer dogs could have also had better character development between them and Doug.

The first half was great, the second half should have been on a smaller scale and more about the people.

(although I don't find the idea of a talking dog funny, sorry)

Dug is the best thing about the movie.

Ugh, cat people are the worst. :angry:

Toy Story will always be my favourite of the Pixar films for pure nostalgia and the way the themes resonate with me, but UP is on a different level.

UP starts incredibly well and introduces themes that are expertly carried and exploited through the rest of the movie. There are so many fucking sublime moments where you're fighting back tears because this preposterous story about an old man flying across America in a house carried by hundreds of balloons is so... real.

What UP accomplishes in the first 10 minutes is something else. I've watched entire movies and television series full of emotional turmoil that don't even come close to delivering a punch on the magnitude of UP.

Want an overrated piece of shit Pixar film that falls apart 20 minutes in? Wall-E. The opening sequence is incredible (the title display is mind-blowing) but they throw it all away once they blast off into space for a good old fashioned animated adventure! The space dance sequence is admittedly very nice, but it's all very forgettable. The end song is pretty great too, like a reward for sticking around.

I think it's Massively Overrated.

Totally agree that outside of the opening, it's an average, typical animated adventure.

Want an overrated piece of shit Pixar film that falls apart 20 minutes in? Wall-E. The opening sequence is incredible (the title display is mind-blowing) but they throw it all away once they blast off into space for a good old fashioned animated adventure! The space dance sequence is admittedly very nice, but it's all very forgettable. The end song is pretty great too, like a reward for sticking around.

quoted for truth! i've never known a movie more hyped by the media as being emotional and entertaining and whatnot, and then it boils down to an animated short that then gets tacked onto a story about americans people in space, by which point its a terrible clichéd mess

I agree about Wall-E, it went downhill after they introduced talking Americans in it. It should have had no talking in it and just been about Wall-E and Eve's interactions or soemthing.

Up was a bit of a disappointment for me. The first half is ok, albeit a bit sad which i dislike. It all goes downhill a bit when they try and add a pointless villain to it with his talking dogs.

Maybe it just made me miserable which is why i don't like it.

Up...

I only actually got around to seeing this lats Christmas when it was on BBC one - so no ad breaks - and I must say that I did enjoy it. :)

Masterpiece? I wouldn't go that far.

Overrated? Perhaps just a tad

To me it's merely an enjoyable film, what's wrong with that? : peace:

Dug is the best thing about the movie.

Ugh, cat people are the worst. :angry:

Actually I have a dog and don't like cats! A talking dog takes away all the charm and fun of a dog, when you can't understand what they're thinking. @Eenuh said she'd like it if her dog could speak, personally I would hate that. It would become like a demanding, hyperactive child :p

Perhaps that's part of why I found less humour from Dug :p I don't tend to think dogs are actually psychopathic towards squirrels, "It is funny because the squirrel gets dead", in my mind their feeling towards them is more like this...

I like Dug because he acts exactly like I imagine one of our dogs would act if he could talk. I guess your dog is just boring. :blank:

I find Up to be quite overrated, but that's mostly because it's unbelievably praised. Great start, but it's decent, overall.

Like Oxi said, the second half (everything after the villain is introduced) just clashes with everything we've seen up until then.