NEurope
Grazza

Super Mario 3D World (Nov 29th)

Apart from the camera being duff in co-op it's pretty fun to play. It looks great, too. All those little graphical details. My problem with it - apart from the whole 'everything is familiar' vibe inherent in every Mario game - is that the levels feel really bite sized (it's almost like Mario Party without the boardgames...and less variety, but better realised).

Shooting fireballs is awesome and looks stunning. I'm sad their's no triple jump.

Also, nothing about it is surprising and it has the feel of a 'My First Mario Game' because it's pretty easy. I'm sure it get's trickier but you don't even have to concentrate at the start.

And gamepad functionality, no idea.

Edited by Daft

And gamepad functionality, no idea.

Touch and blow!

Anyone hoping for a Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy type of game will be disappointed. This is most definitely New Super Mario Bros with an added Z dimension. The most you can rotate the camera is in 15 degree increments left and right, and only once.

That's not to say it's not fun, but just wanted to make clear it is a '2.5D' type game.

Touch and blow!

Anyone hoping for a Mario 64/Sunshine/Galaxy type of game will be disappointed. This is most definitely New Super Mario Bros with an added Z dimension. The most you can rotate the camera is in 15 degree increments left and right, and only once.

That's not to say it's not fun, but just wanted to make clear it is a '2.5D' type game.

Are you sure? At E3 they showed us having full camera control...

I'm hoping that they're showing us these shorter levels thus far because they don't want to give too much away but they're absolutely tiny and they need to drastically increase in length.

Are you sure? At E3 they showed us having full camera control...

I did play the game so...yeah. But it could be later levels have more movement. Will keep an eye on it.

I think even with full camera movement this will essentially be NSMB+

Definitely no movement in multiplayer. Which makes sense, but just wanted to point that out.

Full camera movement would make the gameplay a mess.

Edited by Daft

I'm cool with all of this. You would have to be seriously fucking deluded if you expected this to be anything more than what it is. It's not a Galaxy or SM64 tier game. It's 3D World, 3DLand but on a home console. As long as you go in with that mindset, you should end up getting some fun out of it.

I wonder if the game looks a bit too plastic-y at times. Some of the screens show earlier makes it look like Mario & co. have jumped into a jar of vaseline.

I wonder if the game looks a bit too plastic-y at times. Some of the screens show earlier makes it look like Mario & co. have jumped into a jar of vaseline.

Funny you should say that. When Luigi completes a level he jumps up (well, they all do) and he has a weird glow around him as if his vaselined body has been caught by a back light.

I was frankly aroused.

Funny you should say that. When Luigi completes a level he jumps up (well, they all do) and he has a weird glow around him as if his vaselined body has been caught by a back light.

I was frankly aroused.

tom-baker-i-can-fap-to-this.gif

Anyone else slightly concerned they're showing WAAAAAYYY too much of the game? Suppose they need to build the hype but still.

Anyone else slightly concerned they're showing WAAAAAYYY too much of the game? Suppose they need to build the hype but still.

It depends if you are reading and watching all the media that is flying around at the moment. Just go on a blackout.

Tbh I'm not sure I'll buy it, that's why I haven't minded watching the videos... although having said that, that 2 player co-op one did make me re-evaluate somewhat.

The embargo is quite hefty, so what you are seeing is just a fraction of what's there.

Still got the stupid photoshop style background.

At least it's not cluttered though, that one makes more sense having one of each character.

NEW in multiplayer (Wii one, not got Wii U yet) was a nightmare, will not be multiplaying this game. Going to get the Mario U/Luigi U combo pack sometime around Christmas (for THIS game of course, the U versions will have to take a backseat!).

So during a video interview at Nintendo's NYC-based HQ earlier this week, I asked Miyamoto if he had changed his mind at all for Super Mario 3D World, which comes out on November 22. Would he ever consider adding online multiplayer to a Mario game?

"While online play is certainly technically possible for us, it simply wasn’t the focus for us this time around," Miyamoto said. "What we really wanted to do was to create something that people could experience fully while playing comfortably with others who were nearby them, and this is something we decided would be best for Pikmin and the best case for Mario here as well.

"Now that is to say the answer to this question might change in ten years time, if there’s a future game where for example we don’t think it’s important to be able to see the face of the person you’re playing with, then we might be able to focus more on some online function there. But for right now our focus is really on a comfortable play experience with people in the same room."

And there it is. They can do it, they just don't want to. Douchebags.

"While online play is certainly technically possible for us, it simply wasn’t the focus for us this time around," Miyamoto said.

This should be framed, frozen in time forever and quoted to Serebii, his kids and his kids kids whenever he says in future that it can't it be done. ;) Ssshhh, he's here, this should be interesting.

I see where they're coming from, this doesn't seem the kind of game for online multiplayer, and we all know Nintendo are more about having multiplayer fun around a sofa. Fair enough I say.

I see where they're coming from, this doesn't seem the kind of game for online multiplayer, and we all know Nintendo are more about having multiplayer fun around a sofa. Fair enough I say.

Bah its perfect for online multiplayer, especially for those that don't/can't gather around a sofa with other people and play games.

Typical Nintendo bullshit of being stuck in the past.