NEurope
Grazza

Super Mario 3D World (Nov 29th)

I like Capcoms attitude. In order for Monster Hunter to suceed in the west they knew it needed online play, despite it being mainly a local thing in Japan. They added it for the western gamer and everyone was happy.

Has it ever been said why they couldn't give the 3DS proper online without forcing you to go through the Wii U?

Has it ever been said why they couldn't give the 3DS proper online without forcing you to go through the Wii U?

Possibly but i've never looked into it. I know MH4 will be online though and thats on the 3DS.

I agree, Nintendo probably just doesn't want to go with online. Might be the costs, might be the lack of know-how in the area, who knows, but they clearly aren't into it. A disappointing strategy, but in the end, their call.

@Hero\-of\-Time Yep, really happy with what Capcom did with MH3U. They clearly understood the difference between the Japanese and the Western markets, and acted accordingly. The result? In their own words, "a smash hit".

On-line Mario really doesn't interest me... but then on-line doesn't really interest me...

Considering the level of interactivity required in the platforming, it really is...

Can you explain what this is? From my experience of NSMB, the main interactivity is getting in each other's way. Unlike, for example, Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One (or even the LEGO games, I suppose) which requires players to time things in order to progress. Interactivity is so important that you get an AI partner in singleplayer.

I don't quite understand how it's so important in a game that can be completed without anyone else there.

Yeah when I play any of the New SMB games, at best we jump on each other from time to time. We're often doing our own thing.

Online in this game is not something I think it needs, personally.

But that's just my tastes.

I also agree that Nintendo don't want to do it. Quite simply that.

I've said this before but Nintendo are not trying to market the Wii U as an 'online machine'. It's a family machine. Hence why here we have local multiplayer with 4 characters who can all be used by a wide range of 'gamers' or people wanting to play. Peach for beginners. Toad for experts etc.

If it's sold in this way, I think it will shift the console - well scrap that. It is definitely going to shift some units without a doubt.

If Nintendo added in online, it would be great. But I don't think many people would actually use it for this game. This day and age people want a reason to play through a game online together. Get your ranking up, unlock a co-op achievement, get help with a level you can't do alone, crappy AI makes it harder so human is a much better substitute etc. That's not something you're going to get on a Mario game. I think Nintendo provide online in the games they feel would really suffer without it. Mario Kart, Smash Bros, the sports games like Mario Tennis etc - it might not be a great online experience don't get me wrong, but it is there.

If someone asked me what I would want from a new Mario adventure before this announcement, and they said it was like a Wii U version of 3d Land, online play really wouldn't make my list of wants to be honest. Like I say though, it's just personal preference.

Edited by Aneres11

Online would be nice in this, but I don't think it's going to make or break the game. It seems like this is being perceived as a multiplayer only game, or a game that heavily relies on multiplayer, which I'm sure it won't. To me, this is a single-player experience first, but it can also work in multi.

For the sake of more options and accessibility, Nintendo should add more online modes and functions into the game. Or, they should at least try. They're totally different games, but Animal Crossing is a blast online, as is the likes of Mario Kart. I'm sure Nintendo can make this work.

It won't make or break the game, but it will definitely affect sales. If I knew this had online ON TOP of everything it had already - I'd be buying it. Why did I get N4S? Because it had online. Why did I get MH3? Because it had online. Why am I not getting this? Or NSMBU? Because they don't have online. I *may* get them otherwise, but mutliplayer games when it's harder and harder for me to get people together for an actual multiplayer experience...not worth it. Why did I get New Leaf? Online(despite its bizarre lack of voice chat and local chat log). Hell, why did I buy Heroes of Ruin? Online. Voice Chat. On 3DS.

So yeah, it doesn't NEED online. But I don't see why it doesn't HAVE online(I don't want to hear prediction algorithm crap). Brawl DID work online, I experienced this first hand - I can't see how a game like this will need more precise online than Brawl(which I experienced more problems with later on, I doubt some bizarre unavoidable regression caused it).

I know this is slightly off topic so I apologise. But in all the attempts of playing Brawl online - not once did it work for me... :laughing:

It was the most terrible online experience I've ever had! I obviously couldn't even begin to say why it didn't work or explain the shit behind the scenes, but it was a joke. This game is obviously nothing like Brawl so I'd imagine it wouldn't be anything remotely like it if it were a feature of the game of course!

Online would have been nice to play with people on here though. And there wouldn't even need to be any arguments of who'd get lumped with Peach - coz she be mine bitches!!!! :heh:

Yep, Brawl always had lag. It's really weird considering how polished Nintendo's titles usually are.

@Aneres11 Peach is awesome.

I played the demo at PAX Australia on the weekend, i'm not currently a fan of this game. I found the camera very disorientating (though I only played two levels so perhaps I could get used to it) and the fact that all the other players were going off in various directions pulling the camera towards them didn't help either.The cat suit seemed like a cheat device to me with the ability to climb to the top of the finish pole and to make the boss fight substantially easier by being able to climb up the tentacles of the boss instead of jumping across the platforms that varied in height to attack the head of the boss.

From the little I've played I know that I won't be picking this up at release.

I played the demo at PAX Australia on the weekend, i'm not currently a fan of this game. I found the camera very disorientating (though I only played two levels so perhaps I could get used to it) and the fact that all the other players were going off in various directions pulling the camera towards them didn't help either.The cat suit seemed like a cheat device to me with the ability to climb to the top of the finish pole and to make the boss fight substantially easier by being able to climb up the tentacles of the boss instead of jumping across the platforms that varied in height to attack the head of the boss.

From the little I've played I know that I won't be picking this up at release.

I hope the cat suit doesn't turn into the raccoon suit from SM3D Land...I spent the entire game trying to avoid it as it ruined the game completely.

I think it would be a good idea if nintendo releases a demo of the game prior to release. It may be the case that it plays better than it looks.

Hope that's fake, looks way to similar to 3D Land and is way to cluttered! Don't need two of every character on there!

It's probably legit, bit odd having the same character twice though, I would never have thought Nintendo would do something like that but it does show off the cat suits + that this is a regular Mario game that you know and love.

Mario and Luigi above the logo look really "off" - hope this isn't the boxart. Those repeated characters are terrible.

Edited by Guy

It looks like two separate box-arts have been spliced into one. No way can it be legit, Nintendo surely wouldn't allow for such shoddy design.

Ditch the top half/everything above the logo and keep the bottom part. Then, it might be ok.

Looking at it more, I don't completely hate it. Need to lose those characters above the logo though. Replace 'em with some enemies, clouds with eyes, money, whatever.

5pHQCJx.jpg

It looks like someone forgot to turn the background layer on before saving.

It looks like someone forgot to turn the background layer on before saving.

It totally does.. and yet it's still a lot better than the Super Mario Sunshine cover :eek:

It looks fine to me, anyway..

Looks alright, not exactly Nintendo's finest work ever but it'll do IMO. Two Marios on the cover is a little surreal though.