NEurope
Grazza

Super Mario 3D World (Nov 29th)

After Galaxy, what could they have done to get you to like it?

What makes this 3D game any less valid than a "Galaxy" game?

i love the look of this game but feel the trailer was a little flat and only seemed to focus on one or two levels, thus not showing off any potential it could have had

playing as peach again and luigi with his flutter jump will be awesome in 3D at least this is out this year

I'd prefer another Galaxy than another 3d land. two reasons, 1. galaxy is the greatest game ever made, another one wouldn't be terrible 2. 3D land came out last year, feels like old ground too soon, at least Galaxy 2 came out over 3 years ago!

I'm sure it'll be amazing, more so if it's online (nintendo it's 2014!!!!), but today, like most things, it's a huge disappointing. People want expectations exceeded; todays conference has meant expectations haven't even been met. We would have all put money on Mario being a galaxy type game, however excited people are for this, is it as exciting as if it was a huge Galaxy type game? Did everyone not expect mario kart out this year? Is Donkey Kong sequel really better than a new ip from rare? Or Starfox? Or a new metroid prime?

It feels like Nintendo is giving us experiences we've had just too recently!!

I'm hoping this is just a quick half arsed 3D Mario to satisfy us until a Galaxy-type game can be made in the next year or two. In the same way that Wind Waker HD was made to give them time to make a proper Wii U Zelda.

Just finished watching the whole show for the 2nd time and if you watch from the 5:00 minute mark there seems to be a level editor shown for this game. Was unsure the first time I watched, now I think it looks awesome. The Cat Mario abilities look cool, and imagine making your own levels!

I think the so called 'level editor' was just revealing a hidden block with the cursor, I wouldn't get too excited.

After Galaxy, what could they have done to get you to like it?

What makes this 3D game any less valid than a "Galaxy" game?

I think it looks bland compared to Mario Galaxy as there doesn't seem to anything unique about it in the same way that Mario Galaxy stuck out.

There was nothing wrong with Mario 3D land, its an amazing game but that said, it just looks like they took that game and added a 4 player mode rather then make something completely new.

Just watched the trailer on the Wii U eshop, it does look fantastic fun to be fair. Just disappointing it wasn't a grander Mario adventure game.

I also like the tilt-shift like effect they use, well, I suppose it's just making the background blurry, but it looks nice.

I'm sure we'll get a Mario Universe type game next, they can't shoot their lot in the first year of release.

So I'm pretty sure when marketing 3D Land they talked about how it was designed around being a portable experience.

It seemed appropriate I guess, shorter bursts of simpler gameplay. Good for a handheld, where as console gaming is often seen as a more "cinematic" experience. Bigger. Bolder.

And so, we come to the problem. Where is the scale? Where is the wow factor? It's not there.

Is that a bad thing in and of itself? No. Is it a bad thing RIGHT NOW when more than ever before Nintendo are in dire need of impressing their fans? YES IT IS.

NSMBU was passable as a launch game because "Oh hey, it's not anything amazing but it's cool they got a Mario title out for launch, while they spend time working on a successor to Galaxy". Except they haven't, at all. We've got what feels like another distraction, except it's probably the next main Mario entry. This isn't a good thing at all.

To stop this post being entirely negative though, I'll say something positives: I like that they brought back the cast of SMB2. If that's used well, then I guess that's nice.

I cant help but be charmed by this and no doubt there will be some gems in here which will blow you away but I was hoping for more.

Plus it has only local multiplayer, wtf. This makes no sense anymore, Nintendo have totally lost it...

Plus it has only local multiplayer, wtf. This makes no sense anymore, Nintendo have totally lost it...

Like with 2D platformers, but even more here: Latency

Ya canny change the laws of physics.

Due to latency issues, it's near impossible to have a game like this, where four players are interacting like this in real time, fully able to grab and mess with each other and mess with the entire level. Internet connections just don't travel that fast

Not what I wanted, at all. After two awesome games like Galaxy 1 & 2 this is supposed be the flagship title for Wii U? Really, really disappointing.

So I just caught up on everything and watched the vid for this. I think it looks fucking amazing. I too am disappointed we don't have a grand 3d Mario to top all 3d Mario's, but I don't want to take that away from this game which looks to be absolutely jam packed full of Nintendo charm and fun. I was smiling throughout nearly all of that video I have to say :D

Love love love that Peach is playable. I hope just not in co-op. Would be amazing to be able to play as her and the other characters instead of Mario throughout single player.

Game also looks visually great.

One question though - what's happened to Toad recently?! Why is his head blue?!

So I just caught up on everything and watched the vid for this. I think it looks fucking amazing. I too am disappointed we don't have a grand 3d Mario to top all 3d Mario's, but I don't want to take that away from this game which looks to be absolutely jam packed full of Nintendo charm and fun. I was smiling throughout nearly all of that video I have to say :D

Love love love that Peach is playable. I hope just not in co-op. Would be amazing to be able to play as her and the other characters instead of Mario throughout single player.

Game also looks visually great.

One question though - what's happened to Toad recently?! Why is his head blue?!

To be differentiated from above to Mario

Developer Direct

I'm sure this game will be great and there are certain bits that do look very good. However it just looks a little flat. Even compared with Super Mario 64 the levels we saw look rather bland and uninspiring. Every bit of the Galaxy games seemed to be packed with greatness - everything looked unique and exciting. However with a focus on 4 player local gameplay I get the feeling you will need wider open areas and everything will be slightly simplified.

As I said, I'm sure it will be great and packed with Nintendo magic, but it still looks like a step back from previous 3D entries.

I'm sure this game will be great and there are certain bits that do look very good. However it just looks a little flat. Even compared with Super Mario 64 the levels we saw look rather bland and uninspiring. Every bit of the Galaxy games seemed to be packed with greatness - everything looked unique and exciting. However with a focus on 4 player local gameplay I get the feeling you will need wider open areas and everything will be slightly simplified.

As I said, I'm sure it will be great and packed with Nintendo magic, but it still looks like a step back from previous 3D entries.

Well Galaxy had a rather unique premise, and that's why they all looked unique...nothing they could have done would have gone beyond that

That developer direct vid was great! Feel much more excited now.

Using the gamepad for camera control, as an equivalent to the 3DS stereoscopic view to help discover hidden items and ledges is a brilliant idea, as is scribbling on the screen to make blocks and coins pop up. There are some really subtle graphical effects going on too, like the wind blowing through the grass.

Hearing Hayashida say the team feel this will be a "grand culmination" of all the best bits of 3D Mario (and being reminded of their impeccable pedigree) gives me a lot of hope that this will more than live up to expectations. :)

really they've confirmed local multiplayer only?

Didn't find an official confirmation yet, but there's no mention of online play either. Some of the user reports say local play only though. Plus it's Nintendo, what do you expect...

Like with 2D platformers, but even more here: Latency

Ya canny change the laws of physics.

Due to latency issues, it's near impossible to have a game like this, where four players are interacting like this in real time, fully able to grab and mess with each other and mess with the entire level. Internet connections just don't travel that fast

Well doesn't Little Big Planet 2 have 4-player online multiplayer? Also, how is a platformer different from other games? I mean if Battlefield 3 can support 24 players shooting each other over huge land masses, then how having four people in a platform game is suddenly impossible? Sounds really weird...

That Developer video does make it seem better. I love they way you can control the camera. It makes it much more like Mario64. The other integrated gamepad functions are also great and make Geoff Keighley's assumptions that Nintendo are moving away from Gamepad functionality knee-jerk.

The good thing about these more recent 3d Mario games (including Galaxy) are that the levels are somewhat concentrated into obstacle courses which gradually get harder - especially when collecting extras like coins. I love this approach as, like in the video, it gives the levels a time-trial element too.

Not too fussed about no online multiplayer. It will be great fun and Miiverse functionality should be really well integrated. Would have preferred it but no biggie.

Oh and this is gonna be awesome as an off-TV game (and I love the cartoony avatar GFX!)

Cat Mario is literally vomit-educing. I can see the horrific DeviantArt monstrosities already.

EVERYthing else is great! Although I did at first think it was a trailer for a Mario Party game... 3D Land is one of the best Mario games ever... just Galaxy is a LITTLE better.

I...quite like the look of this now. I disliked it at first, but it's not going to be THE 3D Mario on the system. It's almost like another pillar. On the Wii, you had Galaxy for the hardcore, and NSMB for the casuals. This is somewhere between. It's almost like a new series in itself.

It looks good, but I worry about it being too samey or too similar to SM3DLand.

I loved 3D land on the 3DS so I'm warming to this. To be honest I totally expected Galaxy 3 or a 3D land-style game given the short development time. Just hope we get another 3D adventure later on down the line with Mario 64 style worlds (I wouldn't mind a HD Mario 64 tbh).