NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

So I've borrowed this off a friend to play with my Mrs, started it tonight and is fun, but I'm almost certainly convinced she's come up with a better solution to the game pad than retro with their blank screen. Why, in multiplayer, does the tv not follow the person not using the game pad, and the game pad follow the game pad player? She was uber excited to run around as Dixie Kong, but I kept getting left behind looking for things as she charged off. Why can't we both co exist in the level an d do our own thing, when we have two screens no less!

Ah well, enjoyable on my own though!

You would think that with the lack of Nintendo games that require the Gamepad it's almost as if Nintendo were gearing up for a bundle that didn't include it...

Man, is this game ever going to give me the last 2 figurines that I need? ::shrug:

Funky Kong must be a zillionaire by now. :heh:

For a second I thought that WAS K Rool in tropical freeze and I nearly killed you for what would have been spoiler of the century

I beat the game without figuring out how to select other worlds... had to look on GameFAQs to find out how :(

gonna try and get all the jigsaws and KONG letters now and then I'll get started on time trials :D

I beat the game without figuring out how to select other worlds... had to look on GameFAQs to find out how :(

I found out at the end of world two by coincidence.

There is a lot of the UI that could have been better, and should have been better:

• On-screen information on action of B; should say 'world selection screen' instead of just 'back'.
  • Easier and faster switching of player 2's charater (good example: Super Mario 3D World)
  • Framerate during loading

So I bought this game on a whim after seeing it advertised on ShopTo, should be here in the morning. I've played DKC Returns on the 3DS and it was pretty good. The controls felt kind of awkward on the 3DS though.

I'm guessing this is more of the same with prettier graphics. Not that I'm complaining.

Edited by martinist

Check out the costumes on the Japanese page. The guy dressed as Dixie Kong in the video is hilarious. We need ads like this in the UK. XD

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/arkj/movie/

DKC-Japan.jpg

I'm guessing this is more of the same with prettier graphics. Not that I'm complaining.

You're in for a surprise. It has David Wise for a start... :love:

Edited by tapedeck
Automerged Doublepost

Has anyone else had trouble with the first jump after the barrel in Temple 2-k? Just spent near 40 lives and still couldn't get the timing for the bounce right.

Has anyone else had trouble with the first jump after the barrel in Temple 2-k? Just spent near 40 lives and still couldn't get the timing for the bounce right.

Took practice :)

You don't really have to time pressing the jump button. As long as you hit it anytime before you touch the enemy you should be fine. It kind of goes against everything you've known as a gamer as most platformers require the button to be pressed just as you hit the enemy.

How truly old school bastard hard is this game? It's £25 at TGC for the next 13 hours, I'm currently contemplating whether I clear my backlog and get this down the line; or get it now, but will I get quickly annoyed with difficulty and give up? Nowhere near as patient as I was as a kid.

How truly old school bastard hard is this game? It's £25 at TGC for the next 13 hours, I'm currently contemplating whether I clear my backlog and get this down the line; or get it now, but will I get quickly annoyed with difficulty and give up? Nowhere near as patient as I was as a kid.

It all depends on how you want to play the game. If you're a bit OCD and like to collect absolutely everything and unlock the super hard 'K' levels then you're going to get seriously pissed off. If your goal is just to get to the end and beat the final boss, there are very few moments of frustration and you'll have a lot of fun

I've been playing this a little over the last few days and, as a game I expected myself to love, I'm a little disappointed so far..

With money not being quite as easy to come by these days, I haven't yet bought the game myself but I've borrowed it off my brother as I wanted to play it and he said I could take it for a few weeks :heh: I don't usually enjoy playing games I've borrowed off others, presumably because they're not mine, but I do expect to pick this up eventually and my save file will be there on my Wii U for future use :indeed:

Anyway, it's obviously a great game but unlike Mario games where I always feel compelled to hunt out all the stars/secrets, I'm not sure I'm gonna get that with Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze. For whatever reason, I've always been the same with the series. I adore the original Donkey Kong Country as it is one of my favourite games of all time and still the best DK game ever made, but even then I have never hunted out all the bonus stages :eek:

Tropical Freeze is obviously a lot like it's predecessor. That's a relatively good thing as I liked Returns a lot, even if the atmosphere of the game feels discouragingly different to the classic SNES games. That still applies here but there are certainly some beautiful locations to behold and each level is wildly different to the one that came before it :hehe:

The controls, however, have bothered me from the very start. I wanted to play the game in a traditional way with either the Wii U Gamepad or the Wii U Pro Controller but I keep finding myself having to think about what I'm doing as neither control scheme feels quite right to me. I believe it is down to having different buttons to roll and grab when all I had to do was press and hold Y when growing up :blank: I tried to stick with those controllers but I eventually had to revert back to the Wii Remote & Nunchuk as they somehow feel more suited to the game and I never find myself accidentally pressing the wrong button to do something.

Overall, though, I feel like I want to love it more than I do. It's absolutely excellent and I will get it eventually, but with my birthday coming up soon I find myself wondering if I may want to pick something else up and wait for this to go down in price before I get it. Maybe I am starting to feel a little burnt out on platform games, even ones as good as this, so the arrival of Mario Kart 8 can't come soon enough as I'm eager for a new racing game, particularly on Wii U as I don't currently own one!

As a side note, this is all I hear in my head every time the stuttery loading screens appear before levels in Tropical Freeze..

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

I finished this today with 100% completion and I can't help but feel a little sad now it's over as now I'll probably have to wait until the next hardware gen for a new entry. The game just got better and better the more I played and that soundtrack - it really is sublime. It's a shame it had to end.

What threw me a little was how the end boss was the boss in the last world - I was expecting another area to open on the map with a final fight. Because they get no real screen time, I didn't realise I was fighting the big bad guy so when the credits came up afterwards, I was a little surprised.

Of the Wii U games I've played so far, this is probably my favourite.

It's a little odd how defeating the big bad final boss entails jumping on his back a few times. Overall I thought it was a decent game but one I just finished so I could finally put it away and never touch again. Felt like a chore at times, though it also did plenty right at times. Couldn't imagine 100%-ing it, my idea of hell, unlike Mario 3D World which was a joy to play through IMO.

It's a little odd how defeating the big bad final boss entails jumping on his back a few times. Overall I thought it was a decent game but one I just finished so I could finally put it away and never touch again. Felt like a chore at times, though it also did plenty right at times. Couldn't imagine 100%-ing it, my idea of hell, unlike Mario 3D World which was a joy to play through IMO.

The final boss could have been a bit more climactic - it was obvious in Returns that you were at the last boss even. I can't let that spoil an otherwise excellent game though.

100%ing was almost a complete joy - some levels were a little frsutrating and give you so little time to react it begs the question whether anyone could do them on their first go.

Dixie pretty much rendered Diddy and Cranky redundant for all but the most specific of situations so a little balancing their would have been better, but she does a lot to ease frustrations too, and of course, some more animal buddies would be nice.

Still, hopefully they'll come in a third game which sees the return of the Kremlings as we venture through Crocodile Isle.

2-K Bopopolis

What a horrible level. I get that the new Donkey Kong games have a reputation to be difficult games, but this level is simply unfair.

Difficulty has nothing to do with having to memorize how to jump/time your jumps.

This level shows bad game design (not bad level design, it's nothing new, but still pretty cool).

Practice is key, but when you only have half a second to figure out

a) how to continue your jump

b) where to go

c) how to time your jumps

it's impossible to do everything at the same time and THEN put your 'plan' into practice.

The worst, however: If you finally mastered one jump there will be another one to master 3 seconds later. Naturally you fail and you have to start all over again.

So by the final few difficult sections you will have seen the first 80% of the level sooooo freaking much it really gets on your nerves.

Here's my idea: Have the option of checkpoints, so you can practice sections individually and if you want to get the price for the level you have to turn off checkpoints and do a perfect + complete run.

You could make the levels even a tad longer.

I consider myself a good gamer and I love challenging games. But this...no, that was not fun at all.

When I finish a game/level and say: "Finally, FUCKING FINALLY" this is no indication of anything remotely fun. This is not what a game should make me say.

/rant

Game's good, though.

Edited by drahkon

World 4 has to be the most boring, slow and annoying world I've ever played in a platformer. Almost made me stop playing the game :blank:

But the rest of Tropical Freeze has been good so far, and I'd like to see the final worlds, so I stuck with it.

That "fucking finally...I beat the level" - sensation is really present with me and this game.

Anyway: Getting the KONG letters opens up the secret levels and I assume beating them opens up one or more levels, right?

What about puzzle pieces? Are they only there to unlock art, music, etc? Or levels, too?

You're right about the KONG and puzzle pieces. There are also extra levels you can unlock by finding hidden exits in certain stages.

Just finished the game...It has two major design flaws:

1) Putting you in situations where stuff happens faster than you can comprehend/react to.

2) There are a lot of situations where you need to wait, but you don't know whether you have to and if you do, there's no way for you to figure out for how long.

This doesn't make the game difficult, it makes it unfair. And in order to win, you have to memorize a lot of levels/sections.

So in the end...considering all...

There are fun levels but overall, finishing the game felt like a chore.

Putting you in situations where stuff happens faster than you can comprehend/react to..
I thought you'd enjoy that kind of thing, being a fan of Dark Souls. :heh:

I thought you'd enjoy that kind of thing, being a fan of Dark Souls. :heh:

But the beauty of the Souls games is that death itself is incorporated into the games and their atmosphere.

With the likes of Donkey Kong (i.e. platformers) death in those unfair situation is rage inducing ;)