NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I don’t really like the boss battles on this game. 

They go beyond enjoyable each time as they feel like they’re a bit too long. And the final phase of them always seems unnecessarily hard. 

I am really liking the game so far though. I love partnering with Cranky for that pogo ability! :D 

I have a feeling I might be disappointed in Kirby Star Allies when I start it after this. 

• Thanks 1

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze

content-2-35461-donkeykongcountrytropicalfreezesidebox.jpg

Review written by @Hero-of-Time

Thank you on behalf of N-Europe.

:peace:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I was bought this for my birthday and to be honest I'm not that impressed. I agree with the review that Funky should be something that isn't locked. I hadn't played the Wii U version but am playing it normal to see what it is like. I'm hoping I can get it sent back and maybe get Hyrule Warriors instead but I fear it may be too late.

Just done the second boss. Unnecessarily hard.

I just finished this. 

The only feeling it has left me with, is relief that it's over. 

It became a real slog towards the end. More so knowing that the levels (which were generally all great) were going to be topped off with yet another crap boss fight that went on too long and was way too punishing. 

All in all I am pretty disappointed in it. I was really eager for this game but I will be in no rush to go back to it to try and get more collectables. 

1 hour ago, Aneres11 said:

I just finished this. 

It became a real slog towards the end. More so knowing that the levels (which were generally all great) were going to be topped off with yet another crap boss fight that went on too long and was way too punishing. 

All in all I am pretty disappointed in it. I was really eager for this game but I will be in no rush to go back to it to try and get more collectables. 

It's really interesting to see this perspective after the amount of praise the game has received over the last couple of years!

While I enjoyed my first time though on Wii U, I wasn't feeling blown away by it at that time and only really started to appreciate it when going back for the collectables!

I'm still not keen on the first stage but I'm absolutely loving it again on Switch :hehe: It's a shame it hasn't clicked with you!

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, nekunando said:

It's really interesting to see this perspective after the amount of praise the game has received over the last couple of years!

While I enjoyed my first time though on Wii U, I wasn't feeling blown away by it at that time and only really started to appreciate it when going back for the collectables!

I'm still not keen on the first stage but I'm absolutely loving it again on Switch :hehe: It's a shame it hasn't clicked with you!

I still think it's a good game and I did enjoy it in parts. But it just became really frustrating with the boss battles. I didn't enjoy a single one of them. 

I remember DKCR on 3DS being challenging, but to the point where it'd be satisfying to get through those trickier levels. 

With this it sapped all the fun out of the game and made me start to resent it. 

53 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I still think it's a good game and I did enjoy it in parts. But it just became really frustrating with the boss battles. I didn't enjoy a single one of them. 

I remember DKCR on 3DS being challenging, but to the point where it'd be satisfying to get through those trickier levels. 

With this it sapped all the fun out of the game and made me start to resent it. 

If I recall correctly, you are done with the boss fights so going back for the collectibles would make the game better for you, wouldn't it? The extra levels are challenging but fun.

38 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

If I recall correctly, you are done with the boss fights so going back for the collectibles would make the game better for you, wouldn't it? The extra levels are challenging but fun.

I think I just got so exasperated by the boss fights, particularly that last boss that I was just glad to be done with the game. I imagine collecting the rest of the things I missed will pose even more of a challenge that I don’t think I’m mentally prepared for. 

:p

On 12/05/2018 at 7:55 PM, MindFreak said:

The thing about this is that if I wanted to do this, once I complete the game - I'll probably want to do it with Funky Kong. But that would involve playing the whole game again, something which - although the game has grown on me - I don't think I will be doing, and will as previously mentioned trading it at CEX or something.

On 12/05/2018 at 5:07 PM, Aneres11 said:

I just finished this. 

The last levels before the boss I died about 40 times. I can see where the "bonus" levels are but I am no way interested in trying to get them.

Gave the last boss a coupla tries. Got him to "stage 2" once before giving up. The collision detection when he charges you is way off.

I have no idea how Nintendo thought 2 hearts was a sufficient baseline...

10 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

The last levels before the boss I died about 40 times. I can see where the "bonus" levels are but I am no way interested in trying to get them.

Gave the last boss a coupla tries. Got him to "stage 2" once before giving up. The collision detection when he charges you is way off.

I have no idea how Nintendo thought 2 hearts was a sufficient baseline...

If you're are struggling then why not buy another heart from the shop? Also, if using Dixie, use the special move that turns enemies into hearts.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

On 21/05/2018 at 4:39 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

If you're are struggling then why not buy another heart from the shop? Also, if using Dixie, use the special move that turns enemies into hearts.

Oooh it's certainly helped. Got to the third stage, and discovered that you're fucked if you don't have the following:

A - Split second timing

B - Dixie Kong

Dunno if I'll give enough of a shit to complete it at this rate. The reward doesn't seem worth the effort.

Finally did it last night!

I think I will give a few levels with Funky a go just to see how differently he handles. But won't be doing it all again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thrice post ackshon!

Did 2-3 levels with Funky, I almost feel glad I didn't play with him, he seems to be the other extreme to normal mode - it felt like he sucked out any semblance of danger, especially on spikes. Plus his hover thing was slow moving and put me off.

Not that I like to complain about things.

In these days of data miners and leaks it's nice to see secrets like that take this long to come out.

Can someone remind me what the multiplayer options are?  I vaguely recall co-op, was there also the traditional turn based multiplayer?

2 hours ago, david.dakota said:

Can someone remind me what the multiplayer options are?  I vaguely recall co-op, was there also the traditional turn based multiplayer?

Simultaneous co-op is all there is.