NEurope
Grazza

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Nintendolife gave it a 9 as well

Retro Studios has demonstrated once again that it can take a treasured Nintendo franchise and keep it relevant, with modern thrills and retro nods expertly combined. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze utilises the Wii U’s graphical capabilities beautifully, with levels both stunning in design and looks, and impressive set-pieces that never skip a frame and can test any gamer’s skills. As a single player experience it is near flawless, but the precision of the level design can lead the often fun multiplayer into moments of chaos.

It’s another excellent title on Wii U, and a demonstration of how skilful developers and powerful hardware can be combined for spectacular results. Small touches and masterful contributions, such as the music of David Wise, only add to the experience, and this joins the lengthening list of must-have Wii U games.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/wiiu/donkey_kong_country_tropical_freeze

I like the bolded part. Wii U does have some truly excellent games after 14 months.

As someone who has never really played a DK game (I still have an unopened DKCR3D on my shelf), I'm looking forward to this :)

So essentially Gamespot (who i've always had an anti nintendo vibe from) are teh troll review for this game and everyone else gives 7 (on the low end) to 9 (on the high end)

so its a great game eitherway then?

Personally (and this is just my opinion, of course), I think the Donkey Kong Country series has always had an extra amount of goodwill because of a) the likeable main character and b) amazing graphics. To this day, most people I meet look back on DKC with more reverence than Super Mario World because (I think) of the pre-rendered look.

Although I quite enjoyed the SNES original, I got so bored with the 3DS port of the 4th one, and could easily call it average. In terms of actual gameplay, the much-criticised New Super Mario Bros series is significantly more enjoyable (again, IMO).

Destructoid 10/10

Game is blatantly going to be amazing. But I don't have any excitement for it. If Metroid was out this Friday I'd induce myself into a coma until then!!

It turns out Gamespot gave it a 6. It's average is 82% so far. 21 positive reviews and 6 mixed reviews. I haven't read Gamespots review, I don't want to give them the traffic but I'd say with confidence it's that one cantankerous moan who has a hatred for Nintendo.

It turns out Gamespot gave it a 6. It's average is 82% so far. 21 positive reviews and 6 mixed reviews. I haven't read Gamespots review, I don't want to give them the traffic but I'd say with confidence it's that one cantankerous moan who has a hatred for Nintendo.

I don't think you have any right to comment if you haven't read it! Your just assuming the man has a hatred for Nintendo based on.....nothing...

There's no anti Nintendo sentiment in fact the comparison is made that Rayman Legends (granted not a Nintendo game but still shows the level at which platformers should be held up to) and Super Mario 3D World have spoiled us! I actually think the reviewer gives a pretty structured and well reasoned argument as to what parts of the game he disliked and why, no hint at Nintendo are crap at all.

It's based on his history. Must find out if it was him.

Someone called Mark Walton. He gave 3D World a 9/10.

It's based on his history. Must find out if it was him.

Someone called Mark Walton. He gave 3D World a 9/10.

Yes thank you Cube for backing up what I said previously with regards to the reviewer comparing it to 3D World with an actual fact :/

EDIT:

Also all this talk of an anti-Nintendo sentiment is such bullshit....look what there GoTY 2013 was:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/overall-game-of-the-year-2013-winner/1100-6416469/

(had to look it up a second time as I was pretty sure they did award it to this but couldn't be sure as didn't think people would be stupid enough to say they are anti-Nintendo if they had indeed given a Nintendo title GOTY, turns out I was wrong, people are stupid enough).

Edited by flameboy

The guy I'm thinking of is Jeff something or other I think. I didn't say Gamespot are anti Nintendo. I did mention they gave Zelda: ALBW game of the year. I'm talking about 1 person within Gamespot.

The guy I'm thinking of is Jeff something or other I think. I didn't say Gamespot are anti Nintendo. I did mention they gave Zelda: ALBW game of the year. I'm talking about 1 person within Gamespot.
Jeff Gerstmann... how can you not know the name of a reviewer you apparently loath so much?

Even I know his name and I've just seen him on a few gametrailers features and youtube reviews etc...

What's the precedent for him/them hating Nintendo? like I said earlier, Gamespot's 'controversial' reviews are actually in line with plenty of peoples opinions on those games after they've played them.

like I said earlier, Gamespot's 'controversial' reviews are actually in line with plenty of peoples opinions on those games after they've played them.

But you're considering scores for Zelda and Mario games in relation to other Zelda and Mario games rather than the industry as a whole.

Yes 7.5 for Skyward Sword or 8.8 for Twilight Princess may have been the right scores in the grand scheme of Zelda games, but as standalone titles, they're ridiculously low.

Gamespot thrives on clickbait articles, that much is certain. GOTY for ALBW is more proof of that, even though I'm not saying it wasn't worthy of GOTY.

Yes 7.5 for Skyward Sword or 8.8 for Twilight Princess may have been the right scores in the grand scheme of Zelda games, but as standalone titles, they're ridiculously low.
Hmm, true!

Although I do think it's fine to review a game against others in the series, because of course a series has to evolve.

I have no problem with that 8.8 score though. I don't think Twilight Princess is an industry wide 9+.

But yeah, reviews are all personal opinions, which is why they should either been viewed as averages, or ignored really.

EDIT:

Has anyone watched Gamespot's video review?

They mention a couple of times that the platforming levels are more stop-start, and less flowing than those in DKCR and from the footage of some of the levels it does seem like this could be the case. They say the vehicle levels and boss fights are much better.

Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

The only review that counts! : peace:

They mention a couple of times that the platforming levels are more stop-start, and less flowing than those in DKCR and from the footage of some of the levels it does seem like this could be the case. They say the vehicle levels and boss fights are much better.

Official Nintendo Magazine said that as well, they said it was to allow for more exploration like I posted earlier.

Hmm, true!

Although I do think it's fine to review a game against others in the series, because of course a series has to evolve.

I have no problem with that 8.8 score though. I don't think Twilight Princess is an industry wide 9+.

But yeah, reviews are all personal opinions, which is why they should either been viewed as averages, or ignored really.

EDIT:

Yep exactly what the written review says as well, like I said if people actually read what the reviewer wrote it reads like a 6/10 and fits within their reviewing criteria.

It's certainly a great game, but I wish it was a tad more forgiving. Maybe I'm just rushing, but most levels are taking me about ten lives to get through first time, and the boss battles, though really imaginative, are pretty frustrating due to their length.

Mines shipped... I have a big dilemma... I'm living in Paris for a bit, and my tele is AWFUL, pretty small, and the most disastrous sound I have ever heard... Do I play DK now with a slightly gimped experience, or wait til I go back on a huge tele and 5.1?!?