NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Grazza

Art Academy

Art Academy: Atelier

Learn to draw and paint step-by-step, with a wide range of materials, in Art Academy: Atelier, only for Wii U. Use realistic techniques via the Wii U GamePad touch screen, then curate a virtual gallery, share your creations via Miiverse, and even upload videos of your work to YouTube*!

With your friendly guide, Vince, you’ll progress through a series of fun, step-by-step lessons, each focusing on a different technique. Learn the theory, then watch Vince demonstrate each technique, before applying your new skill with the GamePad and stylus! When you’re satisfied with your piece, move on to the next lesson. You can take a break whenever you want, then resume the lesson later, all at your own pace.

The two main courses, Beginner and Advanced, comprise a total of 11 lessons, plus 14 Mini Lessons, which focus on the practical element only. Choose between Studio Subjects for human and animal models, plus still life objects, or Landscape Composition to find an engaging angle from various locations. You can also get to grips with many different materials in the Tools course, too. In Free Paint, practise and experiment, either from a reference image imported via SD card, or entirely from your imagination!

There’s a wide choice of materials to work with. Pencils include monochrome and coloured ranges, from soft to hard, and there is a Graphite Stick, a Pastel Set or a Charcoal Set, plus erasers for altering your piece. If you prefer paint, indulge yourself in 27 colours, and mix up to 96 hues on your palette! You can dilute with water, and even remove paint with a rag. Picking the right medium is important, too, and as well as raw canvas, you can use three types of textured paper. There are various aids, like a grid to guide composition, zooms for detailed work, and a Colour Wheel to match hues from a reference image, plus, if you discover an unfamiliar term, simply consult the Glossary!

Once you’ve finished your first piece, it’s time to show off! You can post pictures directly to Miiverse from the game, as well as view other artists’ work, plus the new video upload* feature lets you post clips of your piece coming to life, complete with zoom-ins and background music!

You can also view your art in the Portfolio, save to an SD card for printing and sharing from a computer, and even walk round the Gallery in first-person perspective to check out your masterpieces! So, whether you’re a fan of classical realism or prefer abstract expressionism, you’ll find everything you need to nurture your inner artist in Art Academy: Atelier, exclusively for Wii U.

• Create beautiful art using the Wii U GamePad touch screen, then share your masterpiece direct to Miiverse!
  • Learn the theory, watch how it’s done, before applying the technique through friendly, step-by-step lessons
  • Immortalise your still life, model or landscape subject with pencils, paints, charcoals and more
  • Import and export to SD Card for printing and sharing, and even upload videos to YouTube*

*Google account required

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Art-Academy-Atelier-893364.html#Overview

Check out the gallery for various screenshots.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Wii-U/Art-Academy-Atelier-893364.html#Gallery

art-academy-atelier-wii-u_262413.png

5563540a95f8c5.jpg

55635403e7d4c9.jpg

556353fc913dca.jpg

556353f75e04c3.jpg

556353ec9227c2.jpg

556353e624aec2.jpg

556353dc13fdcb.jpg

556353d2927cc9.jpg

556353c907fcc9.jpg

Noticing a serious lack of a certain tool.

I'm gonna be all over this like some of you are with voice chat!

The game is a little over 5GB's in size. It's probably to do with all the instructional videos and sample paintings.

CGNOrIUWcAA-IFQ.jpg

Interesting.

I'm guessing it'll be lessons (or just a subject image) based on whatever character you scan. Hopefully all/most of the amiibo will be compatible.

What about Pikachu though... place your bets now! :heh:

Based on pretty much every other amiibo compatible game, I'm gonna say no. :hmm:

What about Pikachu though... place your bets now! :heh:

Based on pretty much every other amiibo compatible game, I'm gonna say no. :hmm:

Pokemon Art Academy is pretty much going to slap down any hope of Pokemon Amiibo being compatible.

I mean, the main selling point is the Pokemon subject images, why mitigate that? (I bought it for the markers though)

BTW, I only just realised...

The two main courses, Beginner and Advanced, comprise a total of 11 lessons, plus 14 Mini Lessons

That's less than New Art Academy and Pokemon Art Academy.

And it's only one more main lesson than the original DS title (Which was just 2 DSiWare titles slammed together). That's not exactly good if you like the lessons. (Which I do)

BTW, I only just realised...

That's less than New Art Academy and Pokemon Art Academy.

And it's only one more main lesson than the original DS title (Which was just 2 DSiWare titles slammed together). That's not exactly good if you like the lessons. (Which I do)

You may have been a bit quick to say that it only has 11 lessons...

According to Nintendolife's review there are actually 30 unlockable lessons all in all.

The Family Collab feature sounds really neat as well!

According to Nintendolife's review there are actually 30 unlockable lessons all in all.

I read that review this morning and it seems to be a very meaty package, with some of the lesson taking an hour or so!

Sounds to me like 30 lessons includes the mini-lessons.

If you count the mini-lessons in Pokemon Art Academy, that has 44 lessons, with the more advanced lessons taking around an hour.

It doesn't impress me one bit.

That review also fails to point out that off-TV makes it difficult to use photo references, something that works just fine on the 3DS.

And they took the undo feature from Pokemon Art Academy but not theEFFIN MARKERS!

Still not convinced...

I hope there's a discount or upgrade price for those who purchased Sketchpad. Have we any info on this?

I hope there's a discount or upgrade price for those who purchased Sketchpad. Have we any info on this?

Yes been detailed already. I think you basically get the money for sketchpad off the full game.

Just read the first page :blush:

Hmmm, are the extras worth over £20? Would love to be able to export in higher resolutions too..

Art Academy: Atelier - Time Lapse: Yarn Yoshi (Wii U)

Anyone upgrade from Sketchpad then?

I've got my hands full with Batman and Yoshi at the moment, so I haven't. Kind of undecided if I'll bother with this at all now actually. :hmm: Had the "offer" price for Sketchpad users been a bit more generous I probably would have got this right away.

Was just looking at the online manual, doesn't seem to mention the amiibo functionality at all. :blank: Can anyone confirm that's still in, and what it does.

Also, what the hell... this game features surround sound!?:

kS09weJ.jpg

Oooooooookay. :heh:

Anyone upgrade from Sketchpad then?

You know how I feel, no markers = no buy.

It's a matter of principle. They were my favourite tool, which means I would inevitably go back to just using Pokemon Art Academy.

I really should finish some of my drawings...

You know how I feel, no markers = no buy.
I do indeed, that's why I didn't say "Glen-i, upgrade from Sketchpad then?" :heh:

It's a matter of principle. They were my favourite tool, which means I would inevitably go back to just using Pokemon Art Academy.

I really should finish some of my drawings...

I really liked the markers in Pokémon Art Academy too, it is a shame they didn't make it into Atelier. :(

Do you dislike all of the other media though? I mean it's still possible to emulate that style with some of them, as seen in the latest drawing I did of Inkling Girl & Judd.

Yes, I know it's a lot more work... Obviously. :hehe:

I'm tempted to buy this... though I have the 3DS version and barely played so maybe I should just play this. i can't draw at all, but like the idea of learning how...

I do indeed, that's why I didn't say "Glen-i, upgrade from Sketchpad then?" :heh:

I really liked the markers in Pokémon Art Academy too, it is a shame they didn't make it into Atelier. :(

Do you dislike all of the other media though? I mean it's still possible to emulate that style with some of them, as seen in the latest drawing I did of Inkling Girl & Judd.

Yes, I know it's a lot more work... Obviously. :hehe:

I do like using the coloured pencils. They're probably my favourite tool after the markers. I used them a lot in New Art Academy.

in_the_saloon_by_dragononsteroids-d5c0fp9.jpg

I also tend to use other tools to add effects and such.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Paints for the flame, Pastels were used in the background and I used spray paint for some of the glow effects.

Come to think of it, does Atelier have spraypaints?

I'm tempted to buy this... though I have the 3DS version and barely played so maybe I should just play this. i can't draw at all, but like the idea of learning how...

For what it's worth, I knew nothing about drawing until I started Art Academy on DSi.

The lessons work if you put in the time, I'm living proof of that.

Edited by Glen-i

So it looks like amiibo functionality was a mistake on that early eShop listing. It's not mentioned in the manual or any reviews, and I took a look at the current eShop page yesterday and it's not on there now either.

Shame. It would have been cool if it unlocked lessons for drawing each character.

So it looks like amiibo functionality was a mistake on that early eShop listing. It's not mentioned in the manual or any reviews, and I took a look at the current eShop page yesterday and it's not on there now either.

Shame. It would have been cool if it unlocked lessons for drawing each character.

That's disappointing.

It would have been nice to scan my Greninja amiibo and get absolutely sod all!

Sign in to follow this