NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I'm happy and unhappy about several things but also curious. Is this complete, when was it completed? It looks like it's not concept art, to me we're looking at finished characters, vehicles and tracks. See this is the problem I have with DLC. Holding things back so they can charge us later for it. Yes it's good for giving the game added legs but it's asking us to pay more.

I think this was finished back when the main game was completed and is sitting in a vault or on a hard drive somewhere waiting to strategically come out in November in time for Christmas(and Amiibo) and next May, its 1 year anniversary. Very convenient how they've that already worked out.

Do you really think the Mario Kart 8 are going to be working on this for another year? I don't. There's probably a small team for ironing out bugs and reacting to simple doable things e.g. map on the TV or changing next race icon with view race icon. Where's the reaction to the awful Battle Mode since the game came out? Where's the new maps for it? Tough $h1t, we're not getting it because the team has moved on to other projects. I may be wrong, I hope there is new Battle Mode maps.

Sorry to be The Grinch. I really like the DLC though it makes it less Mario Kart I can't wait for some F-Zero loving. I understand Nintendo's thinking but I object to paying for something I believe could have been on the disc at launch. They know MK is a cash cow and this is there way of getting us to fork over more while trying to get new customers with renewed hype. Give it to me free, get your publicity and hype and I've no problem.

Oh and you know how MK8 took so long to come out and missed the previous Christmas? I believe it's "DLC" like this that helped cause that delay. This leak I think proves the DLC's already ready. They're just getting the milking parlour ready.

There may well be more planned because there's still missing characters(Diddy, Boo, Petey) and yet there's fluff like the Koopalings and the metal characters.

Edited by Wii

I'm happy and unhappy about several things but also curious. Is this complete, when was it completed? It looks like it's not concept art, to me we're looking at finished characters, vehicles and tracks. See this is the problem I have with DLC. Holding things back so they can charge us later for it. Yes it's good for giving the game added legs but it's asking us to pay more.

I think this was finished back when the main game was completed and is sitting in a vault or on a hard drive somewhere waiting to strategically come out in November in time for Christmas(and Amiibo) and next May, its 1 year anniversary. Very convenient how they've that already worked out.

Do you really think the Mario Kart 8 are going to be working on this for another year? I don't. There's probably a small team for ironing out bugs and reacting to simple doable things e.g. map on the TV or changing next race icon with view race icon. Where's the reaction to the awful Battle Mode since the game came out? Where's the new maps for it? Tough $h1t, we're not getting it because the team has moved on to other projects. I may be wrong, I hope there is new Battle Mode maps.

Sorry to be The Grinch. I really like the DLC though it makes it less Mario Kart I can't wait for some F-Zero loving. I understand Nintendo's thinking but I object to paying for something I believe could have been on the disc at launch. They know MK is a cash cow and this is there way of getting us to fork over more while trying to get new customers with renewed hype. Give it to me free, get your publicity and hype and I've no problem.

Oh and you know how MK8 took so long to come out and missed the previous Christmas? I believe it's "DLC" like this that helped cause that delay. This leak I think proves the DLC's already ready. They're just getting the milking parlour ready.

Stop moaning its better than third party DLC

Stop moaning its better than third party DLC

In what way? That there actually is some? On Wii U I mean. Hey, it's my opinion. Didn't say you have to like it.

I have a problem with DLC like this if it's true. Nintendo are no different than any other company. Don't kid yourself. They'll do DLC if they think they can get our money. This is their first real major foray into this practice(as far as I'm aware). The same way they're after the Skylanders and Infinity market with Amiibo.

If a company is developing DLC months after the games initial release then by all means I've no problem whatsoever with a charge. You have to pay staff, overheads, etc. but if this was part of the initial cycle and was deliberately held back to charge for at a later date then I'm sorry it's wrong and we're being conned.

Advance purchase two new Mario Kart 8 DLC Packs and get a bonus

Two new downloadable content packs will take the world of Mario Kart™ 8 in directions the franchise has never seen before, while significantly expanding game-play options. The packs, which launch this fall and next spring and are available for advance purchase starting August 27 at $7.99 each (or $11.99 for both when purchased as a bundle), deliver a ton of new content, including first-time crossover characters like Link™ from The Legend of Zelda™ franchise and both Isabelle and the Villager from the Animal Crossing™ series.

Mario Kart 8 owners who advance purchase both packs bundled or individually will get eight new colors of Yoshi and eight new colors of Shy Guy to race with immediately. Starting August 27, to advance purchase the packs, users with a broadband Internet connection can click the new Shop icon in the game or visit the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. Be sure to download the new software update first in order to access the Shop icon in the game or visit the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. Be sure to download the new software update first in order to access the Shop icon in the game.

For more information, visit http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/.

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/kxQeOuaDWhFVthovbOvAu7LohoolqN_T

The double purchase price makes this a bit more palatable. I'm assuming it'll translate to €12. Should be cheaper than dollars but that's another story. It's a definite purchase but I don't agree with the practice.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Fuck Nintendo, my Vita only just arrived! As long as this is sub £10, I'm having it, which is no problem considering it's 12 dollars.

Fuck Nintendo, my Vita only just arrived! As long as this is sub £10, I'm having it, which is no problem considering it's 12 dollars.

It should be seeing as it's £7 versus $8 for one pack. There's no statement from Nintendo of Europe regarding a double deal. Hopefully we'll get one in the morning. Nintendo of America released their information very late at night which is unusual I would think. Could be reacting to the leak. It's out of the bag so they may as well deal with it.

Here's the full official announcement just released from Nintendo of America:

REDMOND, Wash.–(BUSINESS WIRE)– Two new downloadable content packs will take the world of Mario Kart 8 in directions the franchise has never seen before, while significantly expanding game-play options. The packs, which launch this fall and in spring of 2015, and are available for advance purchase starting Aug. 27 at $7.99 each (or $11.99 for both), deliver a ton of new content, including first-time crossover characters like Link from The Legend of Zelda franchise and both Isabelle and the Villager from the Animal Crossing series.

In addition to these two new downloadable content packs, a previously announced game update goes live Aug. 27 that adds a variety of new features, including three free Mercedes-Benz cars that players can race: the modern Mercedes-Benz GLA, the 300 SL Roadster from the 1950s and the legendary Silver Arrow of the 1930s. Go to http://ninten.do/6181WR6B to view a video of the in-game karts in action.

“More than 1 million Wii U owners in the United States alone are already enjoying the fun of Mario Kart 8,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Mario Kart 8 already includes the largest number of characters, karts and options of any Mario Kart game to date, and these amazing expansion packs give players even more choices.”

Each pack will contain two new cups, each with four courses, which, in total, increases the number of currently available courses by 50 percent. The DLC packs include classic courses like Wario’s Gold Mine from Mario Kart Wii, as well as new courses, some taking place in the worlds of The Legend of Zelda and Animal Crossing. New vehicles will also arrive with each pack, including the Blue Falcon kart representing the F-Zero franchise in the first DLC pack.

Mario Kart 8 owners who purchase both packs starting Aug. 27 will get access to eight new colors of Yoshi and eight new colors of Shy Guy to race with immediately. To purchase the packs in advance, users with a broadband Internet connection can click the new “Shop” icon in the game or visit the Nintendo eShop on Wii U.

The DLC packs are scheduled to include the following:

Pack 1: The Legend of Zelda X Mario Kart 8 (Release Date: November 2014) – $7.99

• 3 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link
  • 4 Vehicles
  • 8 Courses

Pack 2: Animal Crossing X Mario Kart 8 (Release Date: May 2015) – $7.99

• 3 Characters: Villager, Isabelle, Dry Bowser
  • 4 Vehicles
  • 8 Courses

Pack 1 + Pack 2 Bundle – $11.99

• 6 Characters: Tanooki Mario, Cat Peach, Link, Villager, Isabelle and Dry Bowser
  • 8 Vehicles
  • 16 Courses

• As a bonus for purchasing both packs bundled or individually, buyers receive eight new colors for Yoshi and Shy Guy. Those who advance purchase both packs can begin using the Yoshi and Shy Guy characters immediately.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140826006419/en/Massive-Mario-Kart-8-DLC-Packs-Add#.U_1eJC_hTQ8

You really should visit here for a few more tidbits of information:

http://mariokart8.nintendo.com/dlc/

You'll need at least 2GB's of free space for downloading both packs on the Wii U. 1GB for each pack. There's symbols for each Cup.

Pack 1 is a Triforce symbol and a Yoshi Egg. So guessing Hyrule Cup and Yoshi Cup.

Pack 2 is a leaf from Animal Crossing New Leaf and a cat bell from Super Mario 3D World. Again AC Cup or New Leaf Cup and 3D World Cup or Cat Cup.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

Now Nintendo, bring the second dlc to 3 months later, add in some battle mode arenas, rebalance the weapons a tad and allow every amiibo to be in the game! You'll sell a ton, and really give people a reason to buy those amiibos

Implying people are caring about item balance :p

Assumption. There is no evidence to support this.

Not the entire team, but they don't need the entire team

Illogical assumption. There is nothing to support this theory. That's just hunting for conspiracies in an effort to be negative.

Mario Kart 8 also didn't take "so long to come out". It came out when they said it was going to come out.

There may well be more planned because there's still missing characters(Diddy, Boo, Petey) and yet there's fluff like the Koopalings and the metal characters.

There may be more planned, yes, but there aren't "missing characters". Just because some characters didn't make it doesn't mean they're missing and the Koopalings are just as valid characters as the ones you listed.

Implying people are caring about item balance :p

Assumption. There is no evidence to support this.

Not the entire team, but they don't need the entire team

Illogical assumption. There is nothing to support this theory. That's just hunting for conspiracies in an effort to be negative.

Mario Kart 8 also didn't take "so long to come out". It came out when they said it was going to come out.

There may be more planned, yes, but there aren't "missing characters". Just because some characters didn't make it doesn't mean they're missing and the Koopalings are just as valid characters as the ones you listed.

I'm not dealing with any of your rubbish. I seen enough of it yesterday and didn't get involved and that's not changing today either. Like others have said, learn to read English. Your first point says "assumption". That's why I wrote "I think this was finished". See why I'm not going any further?

I'm not dealing with any of your rubbish. I seen enough of it yesterday and didn't get involved and that's not changing today either. Like others have said, learn to read English. Your first point says "assumption". That's why I wrote "I think this was finished". See why I'm not going any further?

I'm just struggling to see how you came to such bizarre and outrageous conclusions.

To me it just looks like you're being negative because

a) that's all you can be

b) you've become so warped you see conspiracies wherever

Seriously, explain your logic. Do you really hate Nintendo that much that all you can see is theories such as this when there is zero evidence to support it?

Edited by Serebii

mario-kart-all-icons-jpg.177165

Photoshopped image, yes it's a guesstimate, not my handywork. I'd say they'll all be on the right hand side. On the plus side, the DLC is ridiculously good value for what you get. When I compare it to previous MKs, it's not a bad deal I guess. 50% extra tracks for €12(assuming) is alright by me.

I'm just struggling to see how you came to such bizarre and outrageous conclusions.

To me it just looks like you're being negative because

a) that's all you can be

b) you've become so warped you see conspiracies wherever

Seriously, explain your logic. Do you really hate Nintendo that much that all you can see is theories such as this when there is zero evidence to support it?

Cop on to yourself. This is the last I'm dealing with this. It's not outrageous. I post the good, the bad and the ugly of Nintendo.

To me it just looks like you're being blindly positive to everything Nintendo does because

a) that's all you can be

b) that's all you can be

c) that's all you can be

d) that's all you can be

I don't hate Nintendo at all. More BS but I don't expect any better from you. I've said I'm a Nintendo only gamer, have owned every Nintendo console but I don't think they're infallible unlike you. There was a time I did but I copped on years ago.

"Zero evidence to support it"? Really. So all those character models, vehicles, course screenshots, cup symbols are all placeholders and are just mock ups? Nintendo can't get any release date on time yet they've this all worked out to a T. Very convenient timing. Yet Smash on Wii U never mind anything else coming next year doesn't have as accurate a release date. I also said it's my opinion, I could easily be wrong.

Go pick your daily fight with someone else because like I said it's not going to be me.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

mario-kart-all-icons-jpg.177165

Photoshopped image, yes it's a guesstimate, not my handywork. I'd say they'll all be on the right hand side. On the plus side, the DLC is ridiculously good value for what you get. When I compare it to previous MKs, it's not a bad deal I guess. 50% extra tracks for €12(assuming) is alright by me.

Cop on to yourself. This is the last I'm dealing with this. It's not outrageous. I post the good, the bad and the ugly of Nintendo.

To me it just looks like you're being blindly positive to everything Nintendo does because

a) that's all you can be

b) that's all you can be

c) that's all you can be

d) that's all you can be

I don't hate Nintendo at all. More BS but I don't expect any better from you. I've said I'm a Nintendo only gamer, have owned every Nintendo console but I don't think they're infallible unlike you. There was a time I did but I copped on years ago.

"Zero evidence to support it"? Really. So all those character models, vehicles, course screenshots, cup symbols are all placeholders and are just mock ups? Nintendo can't get any release date on time yet they've this all worked out to a T. Very convenient timing. Yet Smash on Wii U never mind anything else coming next year doesn't have as accurate a release date. I also said it's my opinion, I could easily be wrong.

Go pick your daily fight with someone else because like I said it's not going to be me.

You're right. Clearly every game that has released screenshots of stuff that isn't ready yet means that the game is complete and that they're just sitting on it. Never before today has a company shown screenshots of unreleased and in-development products. Nintendo is clearly sitting on it.

Sorry but your post in this thread, and your reasoning is the most ridiculous and asinine crap I have ever seen on this forum.

===

Anyway, the maintenance has begun so the update shall be up shortly. I'll be pre-purchasing the DLC and get my Yoshi & Shy Guy skins :)

Oops, the update is live, so is the DLC pass:

£7 for each pack, £11 for the bundle

Changelog

Adds the ability to access the in-game shop and download three free Mercedes-Benz cars: Mercedes-Benz GLA, 300 SL Roadster, and Silver Arrow

Adds the ability to display the course map on the TV screen during races

Adds "Play Stats" option to the main menu, allowing users to see gameplay statistics such as total number of coins collected, win-loss record in online play, and more

Adds the ability to change options of others' Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to a new character or event

Changes the default menu option after each race to "Next Race", followed by "Watch Highlight Reel"

Improves the vehicle selection process and saves the most recent vehicle customisation settings that were selected, even if the Wii U console is powered down between play sessions

Improves stability of connection in online play to enhance the user experience

Increases the maximum attainable Player Rating and Battle Rating from 9999 to 99999

Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment

DLC looks amazing! Why do I have to wait so long for Dry Bowser? He was my racer of choice last time around.

Really can't wait for this - a great move from Nintendo and a great price too.

Also: how anyone can be negative in the slightest over 16 new courses for $12 is beyond me (plus all the characters and vehicles thrown in too).

DLC looks amazing! Why do I have to wait so long for Dry Bowser? He was my racer of choice last time around.

Really can't wait for this - a great move from Nintendo and a great price too.

Also: how anyone can be negative in the slightest over 16 new courses for $12 is beyond me (plus all the characters and vehicles thrown in too).

The annoying thing is that they're on the character selection screen already, taunting us :p

zlCfzSXuy18nmJajAuzlCfzSXu1VA78N6t6D

Edited by Serebii

It is bizarre how anyone can be negative I completely agree. The content and price for this is unbelievable! Way better than I'd hoped! Along with their mario golf dlc they easily provide the best value for dlc!

Now please have baby park ride Nintendo!

It is bizarre how anyone can be negative I completely agree.

You guys must be new. Welcome to N-E. : peace:

Here's the changes that have been made via the update.

Adds the ability to access the in-game shop and download three free Mercedes-Benz cars: Mercedes-Benz GLA, 300 SL Roadster, and Silver Arrow

Adds the ability to display the course map on the TV screen during races

Adds "Play Stats" option to the main menu, allowing users to see gameplay statistics such as total number of coins collected, win-loss record in online play, and more

Adds the ability to change options of others' Mario Kart TV downloaded highlight reels, such as changing the focus to a new character or event

Changes the default menu option after each race to "Next Race", followed by "Watch Highlight Reel"

Improves the vehicle selection process and saves the most recent vehicle customisation settings that were selected, even if the Wii U console is powered down between play sessions

Improves stability of connection in online play to enhance the user experience

Increases the maximum attainable Player Rating and Battle Rating from 9999 to 99999

Introduces additional enhancements to improve the user’s experience and enjoyment

It is bizarre how anyone can be negative I completely agree. The content and price for this is unbelievable! Way better than I'd hoped! Along with their mario golf dlc they easily provide the best value for dlc!

Now please have baby park ride Nintendo!

Baby Park should be a battle course :p

You can download the Mercedes DLC for free from the new shop menu on the main menu and you can get the other packs from the character select screen. Just preordered the bundle of both DLC packs for £11

Hey for someone SO negative I just preordered the twin pack for €12. Never even thought about the price until afterwards. Thankfully it was €12 and for once a fair price compared to Sterling at least. I can have my conspiracy theories, it doesn't mean I don't still support Nintendo. Had 2 quick races. It seems your characters colour only affects the colour of the GLA. The other 2 remain silver. Just for the record there's far worse than me and my rant is against certain aspects of DLC.

Oh yeah, it's not outright obvious, but press select on the GamePad and it'll toggle the mini-map option

£11? Oh fuck off Nintendo. I'm going to pay for it, but there's no way in hell that's a fair conversion. Nintendo of Europe are back to being cunts it seems.

Stats:

eu5TdOP.jpg

Disappointing there's no item stats, but it's better than nowt.

Also, I've definitely used motion controls (albeit only once) so that's weird how it says 0 for that. :blank:

Anyway, both packs purchased, and I am absolutely buzzing. :bouncy:

£11? Oh fuck off Nintendo. I'm going to pay for it, but there's no way in hell that's a fair conversion. Nintendo of Europe are back to being cunts it seems.

Rip-off Britain :p

The DLC does look amazing! (I wish they picked toon link over skyward sword link, I think he would have blended in better with the art style, but this is just nitpicking)

I can't wait for the courses to come out! 16 new courses is very much, and the price is really fair. It's such a shame we still have to wait until may for the second pack though.

Had a little chuckle after getting stuck in an endless 'searching for other players' screen

Stats:

eu5TdOP.jpg

Disappointing there's no item stats, but it's better than nowt.

Also, I've definitely used motion controls (albeit only once) so that's weird how it says 0 for that. :blank:

Anyway, both packs purchased, and I am absolutely buzzing. :bouncy:

I noticed that too. I only used it a couple of times and it says zero also. And it says I popped 0 balloons which is completely wrong.

Rip-off Britain :p

No rip-off Europe. $12 is not €12. I've said it countless times, we Europeans get shafted. I include British in that statement.

$12 is €9.10. Not the €11 we've been charged. I know it's not much but add all those small amounts up over the lifetime of the console and it works out at quite a bit.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost