NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I didn't think you had to go through 50cc, playing 150cc unlocks 50 and100cc, I thought

You have to complete a few 50cc cups to unlock 150cc

Having to go through 50cc again is quite painful.

No, you can finish the higher speeds and it completes all the ones below.

No, you can finish the higher speeds and it completes all the ones below.

I have done 50cc this morning...

So, do folk thing we'll see any DLC tracks/battle mode? I presume if it's a firm no (which is what it looks like as Christmas would have been a good launch time), that Nintendo truly are keen on leaving money on the table.

I would also hazard a guess that N64 or GC emulation is on the backburner as they could have had both games out alongside the SNES title.

Edited by tapedeck

I'm pretty confident we'll get dlc tracks, via amiibo

So we'd have to invest in a small figure or something, plonk it on the gamepad and then be able to download a new track?

So, do folk thing we'll see any DLC tracks/battle mode? I presume if it's a firm no (which is what it looks like as Christmas would have been a good launch time), that Nintendo truly are keen on leaving money on the table.

I would also hazard a guess that N64 or GC emulation is on the backburner as they could have had both games out alongside the SNES title.

I'm willing to bet we'll get at least one DLC pack featuring characters and courses before the end of the year

So we'd have to invest in a small figure or something, plonk it on the gamepad and then be able to download a new track?

Yeah! What's wrong with that? I think you'll be able to buy them too, but free with the figure.

Yeah! What's wrong with that?

It seems the long way round to get it.

I think you'll be able to buy them too, but free with the figure.

If you're paying for a figure to unlock it, then no, it isn't free.

So the figure is free.. it all depends on the price point of the stand alone figure and the dlc content. probably a discount, if the figure later has added value, all the better.

I really can't see tracks via Amiibo. Having the Amiibo character in Mario Kart seems much more likely (but still quite unlikely).

It is free if you already have the figure for use in smash bros... :)

So the figure is free.. it all depends on the price point of the stand alone figure and the dlc content. probably a discount, if the figure later has added value, all the better.

That's why I don't buy digital copies of games. Love that free packaging.

Played this way too much at the weekend. Aimed to get to 9999 and get my gold glider before my PS4 arrived today

I failed - 9933 and got the gold glider.

I'm not attempting to get to 9999, its too damn stressful. I have to finish in the top 5 every race, if I finish 6th or 7th, I lose 10 points.

It is free if you already have the figure for use in smash bros... :)
They totally won't use the same Smash Amiibo figures for Mario Kart.

Mario is 'fighting stance Smash Bros Mario', they'll release a different Mario Kart Mario for sure.

Mario is 'fighting stance Smash Bros Mario', they'll release a different Mario Kart Mario for sure.

Yeah, I hated the fact they have smash poses... I thought the whole point with amiibo was ken figure for loads of games...

Yeah, I hated the fact they have smash poses... I thought the whole point with amiibo was ken figure for loads of games...
That should be how it works yeah. I think Nintendo are a bit lost with these figures tbh.

I think the smash mario will be the only mario until they decide sales are too low, at which point they will release a new mario figure...

Tbh I think of that mario as fire mario, they still have tanooki suit mario, super mario, regular mario, mega mushroom mario, frog suit mario....

It's not fire Mario though, he's not in his white and red outfit. It is very much a Smash figure. Mario from 3D World of Kart would look a lot more rounder and friendlier.

But they announced that the first batch of Amiibos (the Smash pose ones) work with Smash Bros Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi's Woolly World.

But they announced that the first batch of Amiibos (the Smash pose ones) work with Smash Bros Wii U, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad, Mario Party 10 and Yoshi's Woolly World.

Great, now I won't be satisfied until I see every Smash character in wool form.

It would be epic adorbs!

Did they? Or did they just say those would be the first batch of games to use Amiibo?

Did they? Or did they just say those would be the first batch of games to use Amiibo?

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/News/2014/June/Nintendo-invents-and-reinvents-gaming-for-everyone-with-imaginative-new-experiences-at-E3-893470.html

They haven't specifically said that all of the first batch will be compatible with all planned games, but they do say that Amiibo is designed so a single figure will work across multiple games.

If all the first batch aren't compatible with all planned games due out this year, then I can't see it being successful, as that part of the concept seems to be the most important part about them.

I still don't really see what Amiibo's offer anyway, what is the point really? All I've heard is some vague 'save custom move-sets on them'. And what exactly would they do for Mario Kart? Or are they for unlocking characters? But then what Nintendo game would require you to UNLOCK Mario as a character?! I'm lost as to why anyone would really want them other than for the fact they look like nice figures.

On the DLC front, has there been any word on if we'll get it for Mario Kart? Or even a hint? I really hope we do, especially for some proper battle levels. It will be a massive missed opportunity if they don't release any.