NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I do think you're being a little negative.

Obviously Mario Kart 8 was a disappointment after Mario Kart Wii. No on screen map, no stat tracking, a major step backward with the presentation of the stats for the time trials and the way you interact with your friends' ghosts. And don't even get me started on the online stability, friend options and item balance...

However, at least Nintendo are patching it. They are listening to feed back and improving the product, so at least they are turning a corner in that respect.

If I have anything to complain about, it's the fact this patch took so damn long!

I agree with that they are listening but as I said before, why these things weren't part of the game in the first place is baffling.

Still, all of this is really irrelevant to me. The console is boxed away and I finished the game ages ago now.

Changing the order of menu items seems a strange change...

I wonder if the stat tracking will show historic stats, or just stuff from the patch onwards?

Seems from the reactions on here that Nintendo are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Pretty much sadly

I don't think @Hero\-of\-Time said anything wrong. In fact, looking at his post again, I think he's right. It's good that the update is here, but we can all agree that these are features that should be there in the first place anyway, which is what he said.

Nevertheless, it's here. Better late than never.

I don't think @Hero\-of\-Time said anything wrong. In fact, looking at his post again, I think he's right. It's good that the update is here, but we can all agree that these are features that should be there in the first place anyway, which is what he said.

Nevertheless, it's here. Better late than never.

Must be because I've picked up a PS4. Hostility towards me in this part of the forum is to be expected from now on. :D

Wuuut, "Next race" is first menu item!? Best update ever!

Problem is that I'm going to end up hitting "View Highlight Reel" on instinct again now.

They've actually got some decent updates there. I'm pleased with the map above all else but I'm also glad they've changed little things like putting 'next race' first in the menu (so damn annoying how it was!) and having the system save your last kart set up.

I hope they balance the items a bit better, The game doesn't give enough help to the lower placing's if you don't get out in front pack in then first lap you are basically screwed. In previous games anyone could still catch up but the weapons feel underpowered and infrequent.

Really happy about the map on screen, But I agree such an error in the first place was shocking on Nintendo's part.

It's nice that there's an on-screen map option. I still think it's a non-issue, though. Every league night, I play on the gamepad screen with a Wii Wheel and I cope just fine.

Not gonna turn it on and clutter my screen with something I don't need.

The stat screen and Menu order is very welcome though!

Problem is that I'm going to end up hitting "View Highlight Reel" on instinct again now.

ha yeah, i'm glad they are changing it to what it should be but after all this time, I'm actually used to quickly pressing down once and then A after a race.

Edited by Helmsly

DLC Tracks, stadium battle mode courses, chat during races, more powerful stars, more powerful golden mushrooms and mushrooms in general, remove the coin item = PERFECT GAME I'll play for years to come

DLC Tracks, stadium battle mode courses, chat during races, more powerful stars, more powerful golden mushrooms and mushrooms in general, remove the coin item = PERFECT GAME I'll play for years to come

Fine, I'll explain what I like and don't like out of all that.

DLC tracks are always a good thing, provided they're made after the game is released.

Proper Battle Mode courses are also fine, you know... If I actually cared about Battle Mode.

Mario Kart DS still has the best Battle Mode.

Stars are a bit underwhelming, I give you that.

Mushrooms, however, are just fine as they are. It's knowing when to save them for shortcuts. Not how fast they go.

If the coin item gets removed, it'll become far too easy for one person to cruise out in first and stay there. Then we'll have the same problem that Wii had. Do you REALLY want that?

Yes, it is totally unfair when someone in 8th or so gets it, but the guy in 1st is getting it more often then you are.

The coin is a lot more elegant than most people give it credit for.

And also, if you're not trying to collect 10 coins in every race, then you underestimate how much of a difference coins make.

The coin is the single best change to Mario Kart. Along with the one item limit.

Wuuut, "Next race" is first menu item!? Best update ever!

This is actually one of my least favourite parts of the update, because I always - after every single race - watch the highlights reel. :(

Not a big fan of the coin counter either... For a perfectionist like me, that just means I'll have to stop playing at exactly 10k coins (and strive to reach exactly 10k coins, of course...) and never ever be able to go back to the game after that...

Hopefully that'll be the only statistic that will have a chance of hindering my enjoyment of the game, because I love playing it.

Perfectionism is a curse. :(

(At least the rest of the update sounds great.)

Edited by FireMeowth

I agree with that they are listening but as I said before, why these things weren't part of the game in the first place is baffling.

Still, all of this is really irrelevant to me. The console is boxed away and I finished the game ages ago now.

When will you get the console out next, do you reckon? Hyrule Warriors?

When will you get the console out next, do you reckon? Hyrule Warriors?

If I want Scram Kitty for cheap I'll have to hook it up this week just download that as Nintendo still haven't got an online store sorted. Other than that, yeah it will be for Hyrule Warriors in September.

Am I the only one who thinks that the DLC cars aren't all that bad?

Sure, the new crossover-thing is kind of ugly and out of place... but then to be honest, it's based on a hideous car which should be banned in real life.

mercedes-benz-concept-gla-photo-512448-s-1280x782.jpg

svomit_100-122.gif?w=49&h=33

The other two are however cool and really do fit in with the rest of the vehicles.

Mushrooms, however, are just fine as they are. It's knowing when to save them for shortcuts. Not how fast they go.

Considering it's an item which is meant to boost you, how fast it makes you go is an important function of the item for me. Not to use three mushrooms on a straight and find myself not much further behind an opponent than when I started.

GIFs speak louder than words: :heh:

:hehe:

GIFs speak louder than words: :heh:

:hehe:

that bottom gif, you went from 7th to 4th and two of the people you overtook crashed and got hit with a shell.

You have 1 video from 4 months of playing where you overtook a load of people on the last lap, hardly conclusive evidence that the mushroom is a good item.

It's also bloody annoying when you get a triple mushroom on a track like toad harbour where you can take a shortcut on the last bend and every other bugger gets the same item.

I haven't played an awful lot of this, but I agree that against other humans most of the catch up items do bugger all. I think the most effective item I had last night was the lightning bolt, as it absolutely made sure everyone ahead of me slowed down.

Stars and mushrooms didn't really do anything, even on shortcuts, and even the bullets barely helped.

that bottom gif, you went from 7th to 4th and two of the people you overtook crashed and got hit with a shell.

You have 1 video from 4 months of playing where you overtook a load of people on the last lap, hardly conclusive evidence that the mushroom is a good item.

It's also bloody annoying when you get a triple mushroom on a track like toad harbour where you can take a shortcut on the last bend and every other bugger gets the same item.

Whatever you say, amigo. :)

;)

I didn't think you had to go through 50cc, playing 150cc unlocks 50 and100cc, I thought