NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

[Tweet]480017684118380544[/Tweet]

We'll be getting our first bit of DLC sometime during the "Summer".

Please, please, please. @lostmario can we please have one of the N-E League theme nights be a Mercedes night. I suggest the character should be the Mii. I mean, who else to drive a real-life car than yourself?

(Assuming we get it for free)

Please, please, please. @lostmario can we please have one of the N-E League theme nights be a Mercedes night. I suggest the character should be the Mii. I mean, who else to drive a real-life car than yourself?

Suggest it when I start asking for theme ideas.

[Tweet]480017684118380544[/Tweet]

We'll be getting our first bit of DLC sometime during the "Summer".

That looks so out of place in Mario Kart but its free DLC so not complaining.

BqldikSIQAApB9G.jpg

I look at that picture and all I can think is... 'Gran TurisMario Kart' :heh:

I'd rather not have to tarnish my 100% attendance record because I'll never use that car.

I must admit, I am growing to like this more.

I have started to love the retro tracks and some I hated originally are now some of my favourite tracks on the game.

The connection issues have largely cleared up and I have only had one in about 7 hours of play time.

The item balance is still crap, but I'm learning to deal with it. My big problem still comes with the fact that the algorithms that dish out the items still give me too many coins and I've gone whole laps just getting coins.

The name of the game is getting ahead and staying out there. Once you're in the pack - you're doomed!

But it has gone up in my estimation.

Given up on the GP, I'm finding the game so much more enjoyable with single player VS mode, items off. That and the time trials.

The item balance has really ruined traditional Mario Kart for me. As has the hopeless battle mode vs CPU characters you don't care about.

I must admit, I am growing to like this more.

I have started to love the retro tracks and some I hated originally are now some of my favourite tracks on the game.

The connection issues have largely cleared up and I have only had one in about 7 hours of play time.

The item balance is still crap, but I'm learning to deal with it. My big problem still comes with the fact that the algorithms that dish out the items still give me too many coins and I've gone whole laps just getting coins.

The name of the game is getting ahead and staying out there. Once you're in the pack - you're doomed!

But it has gone up in my estimation.

I was 8th during a race at Toad Harbour yesterday and for 2 laps all I got was either a single green shell or a mushroom.

:blank:

Given up on the GP, I'm finding the game so much more enjoyable with single player VS mode, items off. That and the time trials.

The item balance has really ruined traditional Mario Kart for me. As has the hopeless battle mode vs CPU characters you don't care about.

I was 8th during a race at Toad Harbour yesterday and for 2 laps all I got was either a single green shell or a mushroom.

:blank:

That's what I'm talking about guys! I've had that from day one. I've learned to live with it, but it's the one thing that stops this game from being excellent!

To ease your pain, I was playing with @Blade and I got 5 coins in a row from boxes. FIVE haha. I also got coins the other day in 8th places. I was NOT laughing!

I must say that the item balance makes for a whole now set of rules and strategies, just like with every other Mario Kart.

Trying to avoid that crowd at certain points really pays off I've notices.

What I noticed yesterday was that if you have one bad race you need to get lucky when the next track is chosen. Why? Well, given that everyone starts in the position that they finished the previous race in (baffling position), it means that you might start the race near the back and not get an item. There was a track yesterday when I didn't get a single item until near the end of the 1st lap because there weren't enough item boxes for all of us. Of course that doesn't happen as much on the tracks where there are split paths.

What I noticed yesterday was that if you have one bad race you need to get lucky when the next track is chosen. Why? Well, given that everyone starts in the position that they finished the previous race in (baffling position), it means that you might start the race near the back and not get an item. There was a track yesterday when I didn't get a single item until near the end of the 1st lap because there weren't enough item boxes for all of us. Of course that doesn't happen as much on the tracks where there are split paths.

It's funny because I notice that, because those people more in the back have more coins than the front of the group in the beginning, the ones in the back usually get a little bit of a head start, get the items and those who were first at first get fucked over and get sucked up into the pack.

It's funny because I notice that, because those people more in the back have more coins than the front of the group in the beginning, the ones in the back usually get a little bit of a head start, get the items and those who were first at first get fucked over and get sucked up into the pack.

I've never experienced that tbh, although maybe it depends on kart/character combos too.

I've never experienced that tbh, although maybe it depends on kart/character combos too.

Yeah, it probably does, and whether or not you get the full boost at the start.

But because the coins really make a difference especially in the beginning.

That's why I also always go for coins first, especially when I'm starting 1st and have 0 coins.

the coin item should be removed whenever they do an update, it's so pointless and frustrating.

They also need to fix the weapon distribution.

but loving the game and especially the league. I have not played another Wii U game since I got MK8

Okay, after having played more of this game, both online and offline, there is no denying that there is definitely something up with the items you get.

I have a theory that it might also take into account the distance between you and the one in front of you, because why else would I get a golden mushroom twice whilst driving 2nd with the number 1 having put quite some distance between me and him.

This could also explain why it's more common to get, say, a green shell or 1 mushroom whilst driving in 8th place with the number 7 right in front of you.

I mean, who gets a freaking green shell when they're in 12th place in a Mario Kart game?

Okay, after having played more of this game, both online and offline, there is no denying that there is definitely something up with the items you get.

I have a theory that it might also take into account the distance between you and the one in front of you, because why else would I get a golden mushroom twice whilst driving 2nd with the number 1 having put quite some distance between me and him.

This could also explain why it's more common to get, say, a green shell or 1 mushroom whilst driving in 8th place with the number 7 right in front of you.

I mean, who gets a freaking green shell when they're in 12th place in a Mario Kart game?

Yeah, definitely. I was just in first by a large margin, looked at the gamepad and saw that every other character had some form of Mushroom or a star.

let's be honest here, the items situation is peculiar, we know this, however it does cut both both ways. We've all had a moan about being near the back and getting a rubbish item, but then by the same rational we've all been near the front in races and managed to hold this position because everybody behind us got rubbish items, we just didn't see it. We can't just take credit for the wins but blame the items for the losses.

I must say that the item balance makes for a whole now set of rules and strategies, just like with every other Mario Kart.

Trying to avoid that crowd at certain points really pays off I've notices.

The man is correct. Before this game I had never employed the 'shout 'not another fucking coin'' strategy, and now I'm practically a master. :p

We can't just take credit for the wins but blame the items for the losses.

If I maintain a sexy lead with some pr0 driving only to get fisted up the arse by a shell on the last corner, y'all be crazy if you think I aint blamin' no itemz.

If I maintain a sexy lead with some pr0 driving only to get fisted up the arse by a shell on the last corner, y'all be crazy if you think I aint blamin' no itemz.

You have a marvellous way with words that never ceases to amuse me. :p

Just had a good few races.

On one, a friend and I were vying for first in Cloudtop Cruise, and we both inexplicably got the Super Horn and both used at the exact same time on a jump. I'm still laughing because of it.

Edited by Serebii