NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I can't agree with some of the posts above. I find the item balance to pretty good, in the front as well as in the back. I also think both the star and golden mushroom are quite useful and I use them all the time to move up many places. I wonder if you expect too much and think one single mushroom is going to send into the lead and win you the race? Someone above was disappointed that the golden mushroom only moved him three places. I think that's quite a lot.

I stopped reading, but think I got the gist. But I will say, you couldn't join parties in mario kart Wii could you? I thought it was exactly the same as this... Weird...

For me, I don't get all the Phenomonal bitching. I don't get many connection errors - and DEFINITELY not more than cod on Wii Wii u and ps3, or monster hunter 3, definitely much less than all the fifas on the ps3.... Go in any I mine thread on the other systems and you'll find people struggling. Just an average amount for me, there's obviously a bug in the online when people drop out, but equally obviously it is easily fixed.

I play online. And I always love it! I think it's a great selection of tracks, love all the additions. I personally would lose the coin and make stars better but the rest are great.

Joined a group of 4 and 5k players earlier, my god. I had to be at my best to hang with them. Won a race and got 50 points for it.

Unfortunately after 3-4 races, connection error.

I think your head is so far in the sand that you just choose to ignore it all and pretend it all doesn't happen.

Let's try not to have this sort of attitude to one person who, to my knowledge, has done nothing beyond saying "That's not what's been happening to me / I've had a different experience with the game"?

I stopped reading, but think I got the gist. But I will say, you couldn't join parties in mario kart Wii could you? I thought it was exactly the same as this... Weird...

For me, I don't get all the Phenomonal bitching. I don't get many connection errors - and DEFINITELY not more than cod on Wii Wii u and ps3, or monster hunter 3, definitely much less than all the fifas on the ps3.... Go in any I mine thread on the other systems and you'll find people struggling. Just an average amount for me, there's obviously a bug in the online when people drop out, but equally obviously it is easily fixed.

I play online. And I always love it! I think it's a great selection of tracks, love all the additions. I personally would lose the coin and make stars better but the rest are great.

Yeah, I thought the same too... I never partnered with a friend and then went regional, from memory.

Shame we can't check.

Edited by Serebii

I caved and bought a Wii U today with Mario Kart. My NNID is Kwetla!

Anyone else feel this way with the Star item? It seems to be lacking in oomph.

I concur, I used one on a straight in one race. Didn't seem to make a difference in the distance. It looked like I had increased in speed, without anything actually happening.

Like @Cubechris, I bought a Wii U for this. Played through most of the Grand Prix's last weekend and spend a fair amount of time playing the online with @Goron_3.

I'm going to echo what most people are saying in this thread - the number of connection errors I was getting was pretty unacceptable. All Goron and I were trying to do was join the same public lobby. I'm not exaggerating when I say that it typically took us 20 odd minutes to finally get us both in the same race without one or both of us disconnecting.

However once you get into a race, it works extremely smoothly. Had zero issues with lag or ghosting or any of the other bullshit and comes with online play. My only gripe is that it is 100cc. Well, my only gripe in terms of the online gameplay that is. Still can't fathom why there's no voicechat.

The actual game itself - it's a pretty solid Mario Kart, but like Wii and 7 it feels very dumbed down. None of the circuits are challenging. My standard kart setup is Bowser + Fastest Kart + Fastest Tires because there are so many straights and no particularly difficult corners. And I kind of wish some of the more powerful items were more common in the top half of the field.

Despite all of my criticisms, I have been having a lot of fun with the game. It is Mario Kart after all. I do see myself getting bored of it soon though and only playing it when friends are around.

The star is generally shit now, unfortunately.

The ONLY thing I find it useful for, is when you deploy the star item when it's in your clutches only for someone else to use a lightning bolt. :laughing: Sucker.

And that doesn't happen often.

But when it does - it's delicious.

Myself, Dem0, Tales, Blade and Zechs are kicking Reggies butt online. :D Well we were until a communication error happened. :(

Haven't had many problems with the online but it seems awful tonight. Managed to join Mokong for one race but then it just went before even getting to the next course selection.

Haven't had many problems with the online but it seems awful tonight. Managed to join Mokong for one race but then it just went before even getting to the next course selection.

Yeah, I tried joining him a few times but it was having none of it. :(

Tonight does seem to be worse for the connection errors. I've lost count of how many I've experienced in the last few hours.

Myself, Dem0, Tales, Blade and Zechs are kicking Reggies butt online. :D Well we were until a communication error happened. :(

That was seriously Reggie? I just thought it was some random guy with a Reggie mii 0_0

...I beat Reggie at mario kart...My life is complete.

By the way is anyone else getting alot of communication errors and disconnects? I've been getting a load of them today. It worked perfectly on Thursday and the day after that. But today the servers seem to have gone tits up.

Edited by martinist

That was seriously Reggie? I just thought it was some random guy with a Reggie mii 0_0

...I beat Reggie at mario kart...My life is complete.

By the way is anyone else getting alot of communication errors and disconnects? I've been getting a load of them today.

Nah, probably just a random Reggie Mii. I made sure to hit him at every opportunity if by chance it was the real one. :D

Nah, probably just a random Reggie Mii. I made sure to hit him at every opportunity if by chance it was the real one. :D

I took immense satisfaction from ramming him off the track! :D

i think if they reversed the starting grid order (1st place in race starts at the back) then it would be brilliant, but as it is, it's far too easy for the best racers to stay in front for numerous races. I'm a little bit torn in that as a rule i prefer a game where the best players will win, skill should ultimately prevail, but this does feel a bit like the players at the back get constantly shafted making it even easier for the better players to win.

Don't the players at the back start with way more coins than the number 1 like in Mario Kart 7?

Don't the players at the back start with way more coins than the number 1 like in Mario Kart 7?

i think everybody starts with 3 coins.

Yep. And first place starts with 0.

Yep. And first place starts with 0.

There you go, seems pretty balanced to me.

Unless of course the number 1 can get alot of coins straight away, which was one of my gripes in Mario Kart 7, especially in Koopa City.

Some courses only have one row of coins which is easy to get for the number 1 leaving nothing behind for those behind him.

This would lead to the number one getting an early lead and most of the rest just trippin' over eachother constantly.

What does the coins do?
They slightly increase your top speed, up to a maximum of 10 coins.

@Mike, did you see what happened to me yesterday in one of our online races? :D:

SparklingGranularGermanpinscher.gif

The player using Morton knocked me out of my original powerslide trajectory and I went straight into the Goomba! :heh:

Funny thing was I kept accelerating trying to drive through it, and it took a few seconds to realise it wasn't working. :hehe:

That's the first (and hopefully last) time I ever need to use reverse in MK8. :laughing:

I noticed a lot of Luigi memes going about lately.... did I miss something last week while away?