NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

The thing is, this is Nintendo's BIG ONE. It's bloody Mario Kart. It's been six years since the last home console version and what have we got:

- The worst character roster ever, padded out with babies and Koopalings. No Bowser Jnr, no Dry Bowser, no King Boo, no Birdo, no Dry Bones, no Diddy Kong... I could go on. But we do have a re-skinned Mario and Preach!!!!

- Constant disconnections for a lot of players, especially those trying to play with friends.

- No voice chat, please don't tell me there is, but you have to play a private game and can only chat in the lobby - it's shit.

- Piss poor items, many of which don't work or are totally useless.

- Inability to party up with friends and find a race (was present in previous versions).

- Inability to see which of your friends is online unless they're in a race!

- No proper battle mode - a mode I loved on the SNES and N64.

- A major step backward with the Time Trial mode, nothing compared to the excellent Wii version.

And it's 2014. We've gone backwards and Nintendo have shown again how far behind the times they really are. I really am getting sick of it. I've supported them through thick and thin, but a lack lustre Mario Kart really is the last straw for me. I would love to know how decisions get made in Nintendo HQ - did anyone who actually worked on previous versions (or even played them) work on this game?

Why didn't they build on the successes of Mario Kart Wii? Why didn't they do some battle arenas? Why didn't they enhance the online mode? Who on earth produces a more bare bones experience in 2014 than they did in 2008???

I've tried to be positive about all this shit for so long, this is the straw that has broken the camel's back.

And to top it all off, we're days away from E3 - where we're going to get another pre-recorded lifeless presentation instead of a live show. Let's see how much lower they can go, I await my Quality of Life console with glee!

On a positive note, if I did have one of those stupid heartbeat monitors Nintendo could have at least seen my blood pressure go through the roof when I played Mario Kart 8!

Jesus Christ man. Chill.

Also, who says the Digital Event will be "lifeless". Besides, better a rehearsed and edited video than a horribly awkward stage show

Surely a story or challenge mode wouldn't keep drawing people back in, but would draw them in once and once only...

What did you say [/canand]

It's another reason to play the game and it gives the game more replay value. Done the Grand Prix and want another single player mode, then there would be that to tackle. It gives more life to the single player. F ZERO GX is still undefeated in terms of single player content.

It's another reason to play the game and it gives the game more replay value. Done the Grand Prix and want another single player mode, then there would be that to tackle. It gives more life to the single player.

I would LOVE an adventure mode in Mario Kart :hmm: I've been hoping we would get one for years but I'll possibly be even happier if they go ahead and release a new Diddy Kong Racing in a couple of years :heh:

There could obviously be standard races, boss battles, challenges, GPs. Wouldn't it even just be amazing to drive around the Mushroom Kingdom, uncovering all the little details and exploring the environment? Imagine driving up a 'tall, tall mountain' only to glide from the top across the ocean to reach a little island where more challenges await?

They could do so much with the Mario universe..

Also, who says the Digital Event will be "lifeless". Besides, better a rehearsed and edited video than a horribly awkward stage show

Judging from that MK Direct we got, I'm not entirely sure you have a point there...

But I am reserving judgement on the DE until it has actually taken place. It's not the most important thing about E3 for me, as long as I feel excited and hyped about a couple of upcoming games, I will be happy. After owning a Wii U for little over 6 months, I have to say, I am extremely happy with the console, and very positive towards it right now.

What did you say [/canand]

It's another reason to play the game and it gives the game more replay value. Done the Grand Prix and want another single player mode, then there would be that to tackle. It gives more life to the single player. F ZERO GX is still undefeated in terms of single player content.

Serebii is clearly a TitanFall fan ;)

I would LOVE an adventure mode in Mario Kart :hmm: I've been hoping we would get one for years but I'll possibly be even happier if they go ahead and release a new Diddy Kong Racing in a couple of years :heh:

There could obviously be standard races, boss battles, challenges, GPs. Wouldn't it even just be amazing to drive around the Mushroom Kingdom, uncovering all the little details and exploring the environment? Imagine driving up a 'tall, tall mountain' only to glide from the top across the ocean to reach a little island where more challenges await?

How 'bout dis? A NINTENDO OPEN WORLD GAME. Hnnnnnnnnng.

It takes place in the mushroom kingdom, there are many different regions, including a desert area, underwater zones, the mountains, etc. You could incorporate elements from 3D World and have platforming sections where Mario takes part in the main quest to save Peach or something. Butttt, you could have the Koopa Troopas challenging mario to races throughout different regions, like in NeedForSpeed: Most Wanted.

Mario would take part in regular races (side missions) to gain cash and trophies (Mario Kart), you could take a trip to the tennis courts or golf course. All of these would be fully-fleshed, like their standalone counter-parts, but they would all be linked together and in one-giant game with an amazing detailed overworld.

Imagine the side missions, where you stop the troopas from hurting ordinary Mushroom Kingdom citizens, where certain characters go missing and Mario must track them down using Luigi to help him orrrr Professor E. Gadd could make inventions to help him along the way. Would be fucking amazing. Hnnnnnng.

Serebii is clearly a TitanFall fan ;)

Nice one, Braheem Sterling.

First night of playing Online exclusively and it is a fucking chore to join your friends. And to think the other week I was more worried about voice chat with my friends, I'd be happy with just being able to play with them right now!

I'd rather watch a stage show, awkward or not.

"I am NOT Link!!"

Fucking awkward. Fucking epic.

Imagine something like the Goht boss battle from Majora's Mask, with Mario Kart.

MMGohtJ.png

We can dream.

Online was pretty bad tonight after 1am. Playing split screen and got hit with loads of disconnects. Most in the lobby, some mid-race.

Fix it.

Too bad many people are having connection problems - I personally haven't encountered a single problem with this game.

Just finished three star-ing all of 100cc today (well, technically yesterday now because I can never go to bed at a reasonable time). It'd probably go faster if not for the temptation of always playing online, but oh well. :P

First night of playing Online exclusively and it is a fucking chore to join your friends. And to think the other week I was more worried about voice chat with my friends, I'd be happy with just being able to play with them right now!

How is it a chore? I honestly don't understand this complaint.

The one thing I hate about the online is that Global and Regional matches are 100cc rather than 150cc. It just feels sluggish.
Not if you go into a race via the custom option.

Or play with friends, or join a 150cc tournament (which is most of them). ;)

I forgot about the custom option :eek: I thought cc was decided on VR like in past MK games. I wish it was so we could have random 150cc and mirror races.

Yeah I know :p It's just standard Global and Regional being so sluggish means I have to adapt.

I forgot about the custom option :eek: I thought cc was decided on VR like in past MK games. I wish it was so we could have random 150cc and mirror races.
You can still do mirror races in tournaments.

Yeah I know :p It's just standard Global and Regional being so sluggish means I have to adapt.
Or just don't go into standard Global/Regional. ;)

the only real problem i've experienced online is joining friends, which is a right royal pain in the arse. you can just sit there watching race after race waiting for a space to become available, it really needs patching/fixing.

i have concerns for the league, the item system in mk8 does seem to make races less random and the best players will invariably win. this could make the league boring fairly quickly, but hopefully once the groups get split it will make for some epic nights.

i have concerns for the league, the item system in mk8 does seem to make races less random and the best players will invariably win. this could make the league boring fairly quickly, but hopefully once the groups get split it will make for some epic nights.

When the groups are decided by league positions starting in July, that won't be an issue. The top players will take points off each other, mid table players will gain more points then suddenly you have a very tight league.

99% of the players involved seemed to enjoy the first league night and with the lack of connection issues, it gives me hope we'll have 20+ regulars.

the only real problem i've experienced online is joining friends, which is a right royal pain in the arse. you can just sit there watching race after race waiting for a space to become available, it really needs patching/fixing.

You can press + to open up a menu to quit spectating and leave the lobby if you want... not really sure how Nintendo can fix people trying to join full lobbies, maybe that's the cause of all the disconnections? :p

How is it a chore? I honestly don't understand this complaint.

People want to group up with friends and then join a regional/global match. If you just join a friend in a regional/global match, there may not be enough room.

You can press + to open up a menu to quit spectating and leave the lobby if you want... not really sure how Nintendo can fix people trying to join full lobbies, maybe that's the cause of all the disconnections? :p

"Playing Regional Match - Full"

"Playing Global Match - 8 Players"

"Playing With Friends - 4 Players"

Simple.

Butttt, you could have the Koopa Troopas challenging mario to races throughout different regions, like in NeedForSpeed: Most Wanted.

So you're saying.....

This Koopa could be....

Quick.

csi.jpg

Geez... This place got feral while I was away...

That's my only issue with it as well.

I know loads of people are getting disconnection issues, but I guess I've been lucky.

I happen to think MK8 is among my favourite Mario Karts. Then again, I'm the kind of guy who thinks the original is one of the worst.

There's a point in that game where computers just make it so unfun. You think they cheat now, but it's nothing compared to that.

(I honestly don't understand the rage going on with Mushrooms, it's making me think that you guys aren't using them properly. I've overtaken about 5 dudes online from cutting corners with that. It's knowing when to use them and when to save them.)

Just popping in to say I bought a Wii U for this. :D

Pretty fun ain't it.

So, while I have been using Larry lately, I shifted up to Ludwig to get an extra bit of speed, and then to Morton and holy crap that guy is fast...needs better acceleration though.

Anyone notice how Morton sometimes sounds like Bobcat Goldthwait?

I'm the kind of guy who thinks the original is one of the worst.

Dude.. that kinda talk will get you shelled around here :nono:

My current feelings are that this is probably my favourite Mario Kart since MK64, a game that will probably always have that special place in my heart :love:

How 'bout dis? A NINTENDO OPEN WORLD GAME. Hnnnnnnnnng.

It takes place in the mushroom kingdom, there are many different regions, including a desert area, underwater zones, the mountains, etc. You could incorporate elements from 3D World and have platforming sections where Mario takes part in the main quest to save Peach or something. Butttt, you could have the Koopa Troopas challenging mario to races throughout different regions, like in NeedForSpeed: Most Wanted.

Mario would take part in regular races (side missions) to gain cash and trophies (Mario Kart), you could take a trip to the tennis courts or golf course. All of these would be fully-fleshed, like their standalone counter-parts, but they would all be linked together and in one-giant game with an amazing detailed overworld.

Imagine the side missions, where you stop the troopas from hurting ordinary Mushroom Kingdom citizens, where certain characters go missing and Mario must track them down using Luigi to help him orrrr Professor E. Gadd could make inventions to help him along the way. Would be fucking amazing. Hnnnnnng.

Fierce.. I've been thinking about that sort of game for about the last decade : peace: I've never really been into 'open world' games, but one set in the Mushroom Kingdom would probably blow my mind :heh:

With the way Nintendo are 'embracing' DLC these days, imagine a massive world with, like you say, deserts, mountains, snowy peaks, valleys, underwater sections and a big city, that would be 'free' to download and mess around in as Mario. There'd be areas to play a quick game of tennis, golf, baseball and such, but they'd only really be like playing demos for each. If you pay the 'Mario Karting Club', for example, a fee (it would have to be the price of a standard game, probably) you would download Mario Kart onto your system and then be able to access that game from this. If you drove around to one of the golf courses, it would load up your downloaded 'Mario Golf U' in the background. The games would be playable individually, but linked to this overworld they could all be accessed from this main 'hub' that would have it's own unique challenges.

It would be a great way for Nintendo to advertise their games to you for free and then download the full experiences if you desired. Since something like Mario Baseball isn't out, the baseball stadium could be 'under construction' and then become available to access once the game is released.

It would probably encourage more people to buy the games as it would unlock much more to play around with, but I'm sure the console would have to be pretty powerful to make it all work seamlessly : peace: