NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

The star is definitely a lot slower than it used to be. The thing with mushrooms now is that there are less shortcuts in the MK8 tracks, you have to use them really smartly to cut corners.

Speaking of items, Bullet Bills must be the rarest item of the game. So far, I haven't used a single one.

Just seen the fire hopping thing...I don't think it matters too much because firstly, it's VERY easy to do and secondly, I think I've actually done it accidently a few times as I just assumed that keeping the wheels off the ground would make you faster.

Anyway, see you guys on the track tonight :)

The star is definitely not as effective as it used to be. But I don't think that's a bad thing. But mushrooms seem as effective as ever to me. I tried joining you Zechs and it disconnected straight away, then joined someone else and had a good hour or so with no problems. Maybe it's you :)

Does anyone else feel that some of the power-ups are pretty useless this time around?

I've been back in 7th or 8th place, got stars or mushrooms and it has done NOTHING to advance my position at all.

In Mario Kart Wii the star or the three mushrooms were major boosts and would see you advance up the pack by quite a way. Now they do very little.

Also, the three shells going around your kart are sketchy at best, I've had people bump me out of the way when I've had three shells - and they escaped unscathed.

The item balance feels odd.

I tried joining Clownferret last night and I think I managed one game with him before the connection error. The online is total garbage for me at the moment - a mixture of poor connections, weird items that don't seem to work and strange things happening like people passing through my shells.

On the plus side, I do enjoy the single player and am having fun getting the three star rating!

You notice this the most during races between under 6-7 people, as literally nothing happens due to the item balance. You all just follow each other, with the only chance of catching up due to someone missing a power slide..

It was nice signing onto the WiiU and seeing 11 people all playing Mario Kart last night. Did a cup at 150cc last night, wasn't as bad as i thought. Came first in 3 of the 4 races, damn Waluigi and the red shells.

weapons are way weaker this time around. I think I've had 1 Bullet Bill and 2 Blue Shells in total. You just seem to get shells and mushrooms mostly.

I joined the banana themed GP last night midway through, so didn't know what was going on. At first I thought why do I keep getting bananas, but by the 2nd lap when the track was literally littered with the blasted things I cottoned on.

Does anyone else feel that some of the power-ups are pretty useless this time around?

I've been back in 7th or 8th place, got stars or mushrooms and it has done NOTHING to advance my position at all.

In Mario Kart Wii the star or the three mushrooms were major boosts and would see you advance up the pack by quite a way. Now they do very little.

They nerfed those items in MK7.

Stars, bullet bills & mushrooms same as they were in 7.

But obviously with you skipping 7 and the amazing handheld that is the 3DS, you can only compare them to MKWii.

I think he means the power of them, not the frequency.

Though I think the star is weaker than in 7 too.

Way too many blue shells even in 50cc GP, just stupid.

I've honestly been delighted by how little I have seen the Blue Shell throughout Mario Kart 8 so far : peace: I hardly ever saw it in 50cc and even now, in 150cc, I'm only receiving about 2 or 3 per GP and never more than 1 in any individual race :smile:

After the infuriating chaos of Mario Kart Wii, a game I'm going to put on shortly to see how it feels now, this feels like a massive improvement!

It really is an AWESOME game :yay:

What pisses me off on 150cc single player is how I can lead for the first two and a half laps with no-one challenging me, then I get to the last section and the computer just happens to get a blue shell, everyone zooms past you and end up finishing 4th. Not fair! You have to be extremely lucky to get your 3 stars!

What pisses me off on 150cc single player is how I can lead for the first two and a half laps with no-one challenging me, then I get to the last section and the computer just happens to get a blue shell, everyone zooms past you and end up finishing 4th. Not fair! You have to be extremely lucky to get your 3 stars!

THIS.HAPPENS.TO.ME.ALL.THE.TIME :mad:

I bought the game yesterday and I must say I'm impressed.

I've seen none of the reported screen tearing and the different karts feel significantly different. Racing online is silky smooth, even playing against players in Japan works flawlessly.

My only complaint is that you unlock stuff at random. I tried to unlock the Pipe Frame in Mario Kart 7 from the very day I bought it and I still haven't unlocked it.

Why can't Nintendo add the option to unlock a specific component by beating X cup on Y difficulty? Or a shop, where you spend your coins on what you want?

The star is definitely a lot slower than it used to be. The thing with mushrooms now is that there are less shortcuts in the MK8 tracks, you have to use them really smartly to cut corners.

Speaking of items, Bullet Bills must be the rarest item of the game. So far, I haven't used a single one.

These are all very good things IMO.

1st lap feels like a time trial on most gp races. But that 3rd lap is evil. I thought it was going to be easy to get 3 stars having read comments on here, but no way Jose, MK still bends you over a barrel like no other game.

Do you get any reward for 3-star-ing every cup? (no details pls, unless the reward is a stamp!)

1st lap feels like a time trial on most gp races. But that 3rd lap is evil. I thought it was going to be easy to get 3 stars having read comments on here, but no way Jose, MK still bends you over a barrel like no other game.

Neither is getting a three star rank hard. It's just a huge amount of luck. :shakehead

Yesterday I did my worst 150cc cup races since I started; made some really stupid mistakes, getting off track, bouncing against walls etc... But just because I didn't have the same amount of bad luck like in earlier attempts (blue shell, lightning, cooperating AI hell), I finished with a three star score.

This doesn't give me the satisfaction I'd like as it doesn't feel like a reward for an accomplishment...

But next to that: great game, especially online and local multiplayer! :bowdown:

These are all very good things IMO.

If you're in 6th or 7th then very likely items put you there, so I think it's fair items should help you a bit more to get you back up. :p

This happed to me on the last race of the last cup I had to do to get the gold kart. I got first place on the first three races then N64 Rainbow Road comes around and I'm out in front for pretty much the entire race. Then I get to the last corner and along comes a blue shell. But oh wait! whats this? A red shell also? why thank you sir...and whats this? Mario overtaking me at the last second to put me down yet another place? By then end I wound up in 7th. I didn't get my star...I raged...I raged harder than I have ever raged before. THEY TOOK MY GOLD KART FROM ME!!!

I got the gold kart eventually, allong with the gold wheels. So Its not so bad, might upload the video of the replay later. It was complete fuckery. Complete and utter fuckery.

How far will this go...lol

We've got some fan art now.

2GUkM0r.jpg

Perhaps Nintendo will find a way to squeeze it into the direct.

Do you get any reward for 3-star-ing every cup? (no details pls, unless the reward is a stamp!)

If you get at least 1 star in every cup you unlock something but the game doesn't show stars by your name online now :(

LAST MINUTE LEAGUE RECRUITMENT

If there is anyone who hasn't signed up for the league night tonight that is free from 8pm til 9.30pm, the league needs you. We've just lost 2 players in quick succession from the same group.

rYvKNdG.jpg