NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

I quite like bikes in this game, didn't like 'em in MKWii. But did they remove the wheelie?

Can you still do the stunts as you go off a ramp for a speed boost?

Can you still do the stunts as you go off a ramp for a speed boost?

Yep.

I didn't mind bikes last time but biks do feel good this time, they handle so differently it's crazy!

Finishing work at 9, hopefully my Tesco copy will be there. If so I will be on all night long!

When you do 150cc that auto completes the lower cups by the way, so you don't have to bother with 50cc at all - excellent news!

WHAT????

Why did nobody say this sooner?

Only reason I was doing 50cc on me own was cause I wanted to work my up as I thought completing cups on higher levels wouldn't unlock them at the lower.

Still playing 50cc for the moment cause playing 2player with me son....speaking of which is there anyway to make the split screen horizontal instead of verticle?

When you do 150cc that auto completes the lower cups by the way, so you don't have to bother with 50cc at all - excellent news!

Way to suck out the feeling of pr0 progression. Bad form Nintendo.

Did anyone else take some getting used to for having ZL as the weapon button? I've done 5 50cc's and I still find myself looking behind instead of using my item. Which at the moment is always coins.

Did anyone else take some getting used to for having ZL as the weapon button? I've done 5 50cc's and I still find myself looking behind instead of using my item. Which at the moment is always coins.

What other button would you use? It has always been the equivalent of that button, hasn't it?

What other button would you use? It has always been the equivalent of that button, hasn't it?

Whichever one was closest to my thumb, X was usually my weapon button.

Also, where the detail may be super kewl, but I've found some items don't stay on for long. Twice I've seen a banana vanish before my very eyes, probably wasn't there for a whole lap.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

I've only ever used Z, L or ZL. They must have allowed both buttons in previous games.

I'm still gonna play through 50, then 100 then 150cc. It would just feel... wrong, otherwise. :heh:

Green Shells are beating the living daylights out of me...

Got it yesterday, played it for 5 hours straight. AMAZING!

Unlike some I've attempted and completed all the 50cc and 100cc courses with 3 stars.

Wanted to get used to the courses and also get a few character stamps.

Back on in a bit to attempt 150cc and mirror mode, got to post some stuff in the league thread first.

@lostmario were you using the headset we use for Monster Hunter? It sounded like it was coming from the GamePad.

I plugged it in and nothing changed (everything coming through TV) so took it out. Will try another time.

So I originally thought that using the gamepad for online matches would be vital due to the DS/3DS style map and item placement shown on the touchscreen, but as the item icons are incredibly tiny, the map isn't really all that detailed and looking down at the gamepad screen takes you out of the game longer than doing it on the handhelds screen, I don't think it's worth the hassle. Kinda annoying after being used to Mario Kart 7 for so long :heh:

I play with the Pro controller and have the gamepad in front of me showing the map, so I can look down and see how far I am in the league when I hear the blue shell coming.

League update

29 people signed up for next thursday.

Edited by lostmario

Tbh as much as the not having the game, I've not appreciated the "no you won't get it on launch. yes you will. no, actually, you won't" approach they took to it. I was hesitant to order with them, now I see with good reason. I shan't be making the same mistake again.

Tbh as much as the not having the game, I've not appreciated the "no you won't get it on launch. yes you will. no, actually, you won't" approach they took to it. I was hesitant to order with them, now I see with good reason. I shan't be making the same mistake again.

I'd write a very strong letter of complaint. Who knows what free goodness you can maybe get out of it. If I was in your shoes I'd be typing it as we speak! It's really not good enough. As you say, I'd understand if it didn't arrive and you hadn't been told it would be turning up today. Poor service.

Played some online earlier. Loved it. Much more fun than 150cc :p

I'm really quite liking it at the moment, not blown away by it at all, but then I wasn't really expecting to be, I think Mario Kart is just Mario Kart now, can't expect too much in extra content but as a multiplayer game it's great.

One of the main things I love though is the handling, it feels so much better than Wii and 7, not sure what it is, but I'm doing way better than I did on those two games.

Also, the graphics are really nice but being the nit-picker I am, I couldn't help but notice a few annoying niggles like those damn ugly trees (though even super high-budget COD games have those damn horrible 2D leaves all just mashed into each other) and shudder 2D crowds. But yes, certainly one of the more impressive looking games out there!

For the most part, the retro tracks are awesome! I love what they've done to modernise them, and whilst they aren't particularly the best tracks from the series history, the added anti-gravity segments really bring them to life. The only ones I've been annoyed over are the two N64 tracks - Yoshi's Valley and Royal Raceway - You can't access Peach's Castle! :blank: And Yoshi's Valley, ugh, he roads are so much wider and for the most part have barriers on either side! Most of the fun in that level was that the paths were so thin and had a massive death pit either side!

And battle mode is shit, but they've been dead set on ruining it since Double Dash so I'm not surprised :p

But yeah, for the most part, I'm really enjoying it!

I thought MK TV let you post vids to Miiverse aswell as Youtube?

I tried to upload a vid earlier but when I checked my Miiverse it was only a screenshot?

I just heard that Nintendo are offering download codes to those who purchased from the official shop and didn't receive it. Not sure the truth of this, but may be worth investigating @yesteryeargames @Pestneb

I thought MK TV let you post vids to Miiverse aswell as Youtube?

I tried to upload a vid earlier but when I checked my Miiverse it was only a screenshot?

Oh no! You should try it again, it definitely works, I've uploaded one and been watching a few on my news feed!

One of the shittest Mario Karts. Stunned everyone likes it so much.

Are you being serious or are you just being you?

Are you being serious or are you just being you?

Niggah be trolling. Close to MKDS quality. :p

Niggah be trolling. Close to MKDS quality. :p

Is that a good thing? :p

I'm still gonna play through 50, then 100 then 150cc. It would just feel... wrong, otherwise. :heh:

Saw this and thought of you hah...

Mine hasn't arrived.

CHUFFING FUMING!!!!

Fuck me.