NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

@Hero\-of\-Time Wait, the headset doesn't automatically work with voice chat?

No idea. I have yet to find confirmation of it. All the reviews i've read seen have just mentioned the gamepad being used. The videos that i've seen where the voice chat is being used seems to be just using the gamepad as well, as it sounds really muffled and not as crisp as a headset.

Don't suppose we can get that lovely header on the message board, I kind of prefer it to the league one? :)

Just watched the Gametrailers Review, and yeah they say maybe instead of going down the route they went down for Battle Mode maybe that time could have been spent on Challenge mode and Boss races instead.

I'm honestly surprised this mode hasn't returned, because like we saw with New Super Luigi Bros and the likes of NES remix, it's something with which you could let new upcoming internal devs with fresh ideas hone their craft.

Edited by Retro_Link

No idea. I have yet to find confirmation of it. All the reviews i've read seen have just mentioned the gamepad being used. The videos that i've seen where the voice chat is being used seems to be just using the gamepad as well, as it sounds really muffled and not as crisp as a headset.

Well it should. I mean at least with the Turtle Beach headset you just connect the two-way jack into the gamepad and that's it. It has nothing to do with the software (except that voice chat is allowed by it), so I don't see why it wouldn't work...

Well it should. I mean at least with the Turtle Beach headset you just connect the two-way jack into the gamepad and that's it. It has nothing to do with the software (except that voice chat is allowed by it), so I don't see why it wouldn't work...

Me either. I'm just trying to find out for certain, that's all.

Don't suppose we can get that lovely header on the message board, I kind of prefer it to the league one? :)

88125-Clint-Eastwood-angry-gif-Gran-blrP.gif

Mario Kart 8 not compatible with the headset, seriously? Nintendo, will you ever understand online?

I said I wasn't going to get a Wii U until Zelda....however damn this looks good!!!!

*shakes head*

Yeah...can't believe they didn't even get that right.

I always organise games with friends outside of consoles, even on 360/PS3. It was always "fancy playing Mario Kart/Smash Bros/Halo Wars/CoD etc.?" and from there it's relatively simple.

To each their own, though

Good for you, brah. But, be honest, that's one hell of a ball ache compared to how it should be. There's not really an excuse for this one.

I'm sure the game will be lovely, but it pisses me off knowing that this could have been better. We're already longing for extra features before even playing the game, that's not a good thing.

Still, on the plus side, it's almost here.

I reckon that there's a decent chance that we might see Mission Mode return... As future DLC ;)(actually I'd be totally OK with this! Hell bring back the special Battle Mode stages as DLC while you're at it!)

You mean that one-off mode in Mario Kart DS?

That's been missing for quite a while now.

I've given up on Battle Mode ever being great again.

But that's what the older games are for.

(Then again, I've always preferred racing to battles, so... *shrugs*)

The annoying thing is they got so close with Mario Kart 7, but then they go ahead and muck it up with the respawning and other silly choices (and ironically they finally fixed them with MK8, but then ruin it with a half hearted effort by not having arena style stages). Typical...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't this hit the frame rate?

I'd rather have 60 FPS for a racing game. TV's are big enough these days to accomadate vertical 2 player split screen comfortably.

I'd rather see them downgrade the graphics in order to accommodate that mode (or to accommodate 60FPS in 3-4 player mode while I'm at it!)

Double Dash did it back on the Gamecube (and so did F-Zero GX and Kirby's Air Ride for that matter...) so I don't see why they can't do it here. Just downgrade the graphics as necessary ::shrug:

Edited by Dcubed

MARIO KART 8 RESTRICTS ONLINE CHAT TO FRIEND ONLY LOBBIES

IGN has revealed that voice chat in Mario Kart 8 is restricted to friend only lobbies. This means that you won’t be able to voice chat with other players in an open online lobby. The publication also says that the game doesn’t provide you with message notifications.

“Chat is restricted to lobbies with friends only. There’s no option to invite friends into a game, and Mario Kart 8 also doesn’t provide message notifications. This is seriously disappointing because you have to use outside means to coordinate friends-only races.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/15/mario-kart-8-restricts-online-chat-to-friend-only-lobbies/

FFS Nintendo will you ever learn?

This news came out weeks ago :p

Although at least we now know the reason behind it, is the fact your can't use headsets right?... no one wants to be holding their Gamepad up to talk to all race!

Couldn't they just have supported headsets and race long chat, or did they restrict headsets on purpose to limit chat.

It was news to me about it just being restricted to friends. I knew chat was restricted to lobbies. That headset news is just retarded if true. Is it just the gamepad mic? I hear now they said it in the last ND but missed that bit.

Well the headset thing was just something HoT wondered, I don't think there's any actual source for proving it right. Unless someone can present a source of some kind, I presume that the headsets should work as normal like they do in any other game that has voice chat. I mean why wouldn't they? You just plug it into the gamepad, it has nothing to do with the software...

1 step forward 2 steps back.

They manage to implement good features while at the same time do backwards things like this.

Honestly its like they operate on a different planet. Nothing will change though as Nintendo really does think this is what we want.

Click bait as we've seen this story earlier...

I'd have preferred:

IGN have REVEALED their review of Mario Kart 8, giving the game an 'amazing' 9.0 score.

But yeah, we all know that wouldn't have stirred it up as much resulting in gamers kicking off with Nintendo for being out of touch and thus wanting to read the article...

We have enough negative shock tactics in mainstream journalism parading as the sole 'reality' of a situation without this industry becoming entrenched in such shoddy tactics.

/2cents.

Edited by tapedeck

Well, even if some things are out of whack, at least the game seems to be a good one overall. Metacritic's aggregate score is 89/100, based on 43 critics. Plus you have the whole "buy MK8, get a free game" deal there too, making it an even better purchase...

Two more weeks.

Ohh restricted to just friends... oh yeah that is news. Huh.

No it isn't. We knew this back when they revealed Voice Chat with the Direct.

1 step forward 2 steps back.

They manage to implement good features while at the same time do backwards things like this.

Honestly its like they operate on a different planet. Nothing will change though as Nintendo really does think this is what we want.

Yeah, it's not as if Nintendo have always been a company to try to protect children who play their games.

What? You mean they are? Hells to the no. They should let creeps talk to kids with no restrictions on a family friendly game.

Use your head here. Can you imagine if a kid is playing online, the parents walk in and there's profanity. Then they report it to Fox News because it's Nintendo and is meant to be family friendly.

Do you honestly think that they just incompetently sat there and could only get it to work for Friends? No. This was a conscious decision because of the content of the game and the absolute toxic attitude that exists on both the Internet and online gaming as a whole.

Think of the bigger picture rather than your own selfish desires.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Well, even if some things are out of whack, at least the game seems to be a good one overall. Metacritic's aggregate score is 89/100, based on 43 critics. Plus you have the whole "buy MK8, get a free game" deal there too, making it an even better purchase...

Two more weeks.

The free game deal convinced me to pre-order, although I was thinking of getting it anyway. A good deal and a smart move. Hopefully it'll allow more people to play The Wonderful 101, although they should be ashamed of themselves for not playing it already. :heh:

What? You mean they are? Hells to the no. They should let creeps talk to kids with no restrictions on a family friendly game.

1) Have the restriction active when you start up the game for the first time: Protects kids.

2) Have the option to disable the restriction for the more adult community: Everyone's happy.

Two easy steps.

Anyway, game looks great, reviews sound great. Such a shame that I started to hate Mario Kart games and don't own a Wii U.

No it isn't. We knew this back when they revealed Voice Chat with the Direct.[/Quote]Oh well, it's as much news as you teling us Nintendo are working on their new console the other day.

Yeah, it's not as if Nintendo have always been a company to try to protect children who play their games.

Use your head here. Can you imagine if a kid is playing online, the parents walk in and there's profanity. Then they report it to Fox News because it's Nintendo and is meant to be family friendly.

Do you honestly think that they just incompetently sat there and could only get it to work for Friends? No. This was a conscious decision because of the content of the game and the absolute toxic attitude that exists on both the Internet and online gaming as a whole.

Yeah because parental blocks can't simply solve that... :indeed:

No. Nintendo need to acknowledge that the bigger picture exists and catch up with the rest of society.

It's appalling that Nintendo hold stuff back because they're afraid of smear campaigns.