NEurope
Ike

Mario Kart 8

Does it feel weird to anyone else that the best looking game on a technical level is also running at 60 frames? Does Konno just have the best team or something?

As someone who loathed Mario Kart Wii, this looks beautiful. The track design looks about a billion times better than the Wii version. It seems like there's a greater emphasis on racing and less on randomness or weapons.

Day One, if I have a WiiU by then.

Nintendo NEED to get this out before Christmas. Imagine a bundle with both this and 3DWorld.

Does it feel weird to anyone else that the best looking game on a technical level is also running at 60 frames? Does Konno just have the best team or something?

Not really, considering that all of Nintendo's Wii U games run at 60FPS. That being said, I can't believe that Mario Kart of all games has turned out to be the Wii U's graphical showpiece :laughing:

MK Wii was one of Nintendo's worst looking games last generation (going as low as to straight up reuse Double Dash's character models - and that wasn't much of a looker back then either), so seeing MK8 looking as good as it does is legitimately shocking! :o

Another off-screen.

Wow.

Stunning. Look at the lighting, the backgrounds and the draw-distance.

I'm going to have hire a beautiful high-heeled clad, cigar smoking woman to kick me in the balls when I play this... might as well have good excuses for whimpering like a little girl.

The more I see of this the more I love it. I loved Mario Kart Wii and this looks to be more of that but better in every way. Nintendo have clearly excelled themselves with this.

I just hope it's not too late... this could have been the killer app and system seller the Wii U needed!

Wow! The trailer for this had my jaw on the floor throughout. :o

Absolutely amazing. :)

I wasn't too thrilled to see bikes return, but other than that I'm really happy with how this is turning out. Just can't get over how good it looks too. :cool:

Was worried that it would mean 30fps as a result, but now that it's been confirmed at 60 I'm relived and frankly amazed at the visual quality. :cool:

Also super happy that this is a 2014 game as well, that's right... super happy. ;)

I really did think Nintendo were going to rush it out (a la MK7) so it's great to know they're going to take more time and make this as high quality as possible. :yay:

YES! Waluigi is Back!

YES! Mario Kart TVii

YES! HD Graphics

YES! Definitive Mario Kart which is a culmination of all the previous Mario Karts!

YES! YES! YES!

Time to Redeem myself next year.

Not particularly happy to see the bikes return, unless they've found a better balance between those and the karts, and I'm also concerned about there being 12 racers again as I see that as one of the reasons why Mario Kart Wii was so chaotic and frustrating :hmm:

Having said that, if it was Mario Bike 8 with 50 racers at one time, each armed with a blue shell as standard, I'd probably still end up buying it :heh:

Yeah I saw this properly now, games looks 101% wonderful.

Time to Redeem myself next year.

Not if I am trying to redeem myself. :D

As someone who loathed Mario Kart Wii, this looks beautiful. The track design looks about a billion times better than the Wii version. It seems like there's a greater emphasis on racing and less on randomness or weapons.

Day One, if I have a WiiU by then.

Nintendo NEED to get this out before Christmas. Imagine a bundle with both this and 3DWorld.

Track designs are defo more inviting. Game looks great man. wanna kniw what online is like. Can ya choose balloon modes and coin modes or will you be forced to alternate between to two? 5 players locally? 4 players locally online together?

Either way game looks excellent though and now i want it. :D

This looks absolutely stunning. gutted its not coming out this year. Going to play havoc with my planning for next years N-E MK league.

This looks absolutely stunning. gutted its not coming out this year. Going to play havoc with my planning for next years N-E MK league.

If u can do 4 player online via wifi (at least like ssbb where even if only in private games online each console can have more than 2 guests to join the party) then prepare for Team Liquid to totally flood the upper peak of the laegue table.

Dont worry i would get em to sign up to this webby and stuff. :bouncy:

Should i enter the league as Jo King or is Beverage more anciently legendary?.. Decisions!.. Dunno which cross-drain to flow down at this T-valve. Beverage or Jo King?

If u can do 4 player online via wifi (at least like ssbb where even if only in private games online each console can have more than 2 guests to join the party) then prepare for Team Liquid to totally flood the upper peak of the laegue table.

Dont worry i would get em to sign up to this webby and stuff. :bouncy:

Should i enter the league as Jo King or is Beverage more anciently legendary?.. Decisions!.. Dunno which cross-drain to flow down at this T-valve. Beverage or Jo King?

I wouldn't worry about that now, long way off.

IGN analysis breakdown.

&ap=%%2526fmt%%3D22&fmt=22&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01">
&ap=%%2526fmt%%3D22&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="615" height="360">

Watch -

The track design really does look improved and the graphics are so nice! I keep building up hype for this then I remember it isn't out until next year!

First impressions are good. The graphics are very nice, I remember first seeing Mario Kart Wii and not being that impressed. Shame it's so far away. This needs online chat. Again another fault with Mario Kart Wii was the very limited dialogue bubbles. I can't stress this enough. Voice chat is a must, Nintendo. I get the F-Zero vibe that people talk about.

Edited by Wii

I have to say while this game does look fantastic the only thing I'm not keen on is the giant width of the tracks shown. Where's the challenge to stay on the track? It does seem to sadly suggest the same sort of chaotic free for all gameplay of MKWii.

I'm so excited after seeing those gameplay videos! I didn't want to get too hyped before in case I was seeing mostly pre-rendered bits in that trailer, I can't actually believe this is in game. It looks SO nice, hard to believe this is on the same Wii U I have in my bedroom, it just looks miles ahead of anything else on the system right now.

The tracks also look genuinely exciting! Mario Kart had become so stale for me, I barely played Wii or 7, this really does seem like a breath of fresh air for the franchise and I can't wait!

yeah this is the top of my list of most anticipated Nintendo titles. I wish it was coming out this year.

What's more impressive is the quality doesn't seem to suffer in split-screen.

Like Konno said, they're trying to get a solid 60 fps for split-screen too.

EDIT: Just finished watching that trailer. Damn, how good does this game look?! and that's off-screen footage no less. It's uncomfortable watching people go round corners without drifting :woops:

Edited by -Dem0-

Like Konno said, they're trying to get a solid 60 fps for split-screen too.

EDIT: Just finished watching that trailer. Damn, how good does this game look?! and that's off-screen footage no less. It's uncomfortable watching people go round corners without drifting :woops:

I know, it looks pristine. Clearly a large cut above anything from last-gen in the visuals department. Just as I'd hoped for for HD in Nintendo's hands.

I know what you mean; I don't know how many Pikmin videos I've closed because the player is shit, lol :heh:

YAY WALUIGI IS BACK!!!

This looks great so far! And the graphics look awesome.

Gutted this isn't out till Spring next year though, I would rather this be swapped with Mario 3d World, just because there is already several platformers coming out for the Wii U before Xmas and I think this would have broken that up a bit better.

We haven't seen many blue shells in these videos yet. I know everybody hates them, but I think they're probably the most iconic item from Mario Kart, and the funniest moments when playing with friends are always someone getting angry about being hit by one.

Also, nice to see proper drifting back, although I hope it isn't as overpowered as it was in Mario Kart DS. More like in Mario Kart: Double Dash would be good. With Mario Kart DS it was almost getting boring once you got good as you'd play against friends/the computer and you win 100% of the time, because the constant speed boosts got you so far ahead. Back in MKDS when playing against the computer I used to give them massive head starts just to make the game slightly challenging again. I like Mario Kart Wii's mechanics more since I can play with my friends and I won't win every time (especially when you have the items set to Frantic, as there's blue shells and invincibility stars galore!).

I hope there's much more customization with the items this time, as in being able to choose the relative frequency of each item. I always thought races where you get triple mushrooms every item box could be fun.

I also hope Royal Raceway is in this game. It was my favourite level from the Nintendo 64 game, and it has that huge jump in it which would probably be fun with the gliders.

We haven't seen many blue shells in these videos yet. I know everybody hates them, but I think they're probably the most iconic item from Mario Kart, and the funniest moments when playing with friends are always someone getting angry about being hit by one.

Also, nice to see proper drifting back, although I hope it isn't as overpowered as it was in Mario Kart DS. More like in Mario Kart: Double Dash would be good. With Mario Kart DS it was almost getting boring once you got good as you'd play against friends/the computer and you win 100% of the time, because the constant speed boosts got you so far ahead. Back in MKDS when playing against the computer I used to give them massive head starts just to make the game slightly challenging again. I like Mario Kart Wii's mechanics more since I can play with my friends and I won't win every time (especially when you have the items set to Frantic, as there's blue shells and invincibility stars galore!).

I hope there's much more customization with the items this time, as in being able to choose the relative frequency of each item. I always thought races where you get triple mushrooms every item box could be fun.

I also hope Royal Raceway is in this game. It was my favourite level from the Nintendo 64 game, and it has that huge jump in it which would probably be fun with the gliders.

Blue Shells are good fun...they just need to be less common and less damaging