NEurope
Cube

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Honestly I was the other way around. Apart from climbing etc I absolutely found the open world in the Witcher 3 much more realised than Zelda's.

It's more densely populated, and in that respect it gives a feeling of busyness, but I feel it's not so much a living world they reside in but something akin to a film set, a fake world if you get what I mean..? Whereas Hyrule itself feels alive.

I can imagine the NPCs of Witcher to leave that world and go home to other lives as if it was their job, whereas in Zelda I feel like people actually live in the villages there and reap/sow the land to survive.

It's just the feeling the world itself gives me.

Edited by Kav

It's more densely populated, and in that respect it gives a feeling of a place people live, but I feel it's not so much a living world they reside in but something akin to a film set, a fake world if you get what I mean..? Whereas Hyrule itself feels alive.

I just never had that feeling with Hyrule. It never felt alive. With the Witcher 3 I felt like I could find a whole new story just around the corner anywhere I went. With Zelda I wandered around most areas just looking for shrines or coming across yet another enemy encampment that looked the same as the last one.

• Like 1

I just never had that feeling with Hyrule. It never felt alive. With the Witcher 3 I felt like I could find a whole new story just around the corner anywhere I went. With Zelda I wandered around most areas just looking for shrines or coming across yet another enemy encampment that looked the same as the last one.

Well, it was a land devastated to be fair, haha... but that's another point, I love the exploring for Shrines, using the environment, but there's no real joy for me in exploring Witcher's world as it's so static.

Mind you, I love the Witcher Contract/Beast Hunt missions... Zelda could do with some more things like that. Big battles are a little too infrequent for my liking in Zelda.

Edited by Kav
Automerged Doublepost

Oh yeah I enjoyed searching for the shrines but I think that would be part of a different discussion, they dont really had much to a fully realised world I dont think, more they add a gameplay element for the player in that world.

As someone who favours story in games over pretty much all else it does fall on that aspect I mentioned earlier where around any corner I could find a shack which sets off a whole new quest to follow. I had loads of those stories in the Witcher 3 while honestly I found Zelda's world a bit bland. I know a lot of others didnt though. Does make me wonder if part of that is down to previous connections to Zelda and Hyrule. It all means nothing to me while the rest of you may have the extra enjoyment of simply seeing Hyrule so well realised.

Yeah, sorry, I'd not meant the Shrines themselves added to the feeling of Hyrule being alive. Moreso the journey whilst searching for them...

...coming across random encampments, I'd use the environment to fight moreso than my weapons. I'd use stasis on a crate, hit it and send it flying into enemies, light a fire and blow it towards the encampment, chop down a tree and roll the trunk down a hill to crush bokoblins below etc.

The interactivity with the environment is what does it for me. Moreso when you start experimenting with Octo Ballons... those things make for so much fun!

If I could do things in Witcher that made use of the environment it'd make the world feel more alive.

I platinumed this game last year after completing it twice. I bought the DLC but I didn't put download it as I feared being burnt out. Now i've done with Zelda (and felt like the story/narrative/lore was lacking), I am really wanting to play more of Witcher 3.

Hearts of Stone is downloading now. Excited! :D

I started new recently. Got the gory edition. Set control response to alternate and difficulty to easiest.

Really enjoying it. I am still early but couldn't help wander. Ended up in novigrad which is really impressive.

Have a feeling this will end up as one of my favourite games.

I platinumed this game last year after completing it twice. I bought the DLC but I didn't put download it as I feared being burnt out. Now i've done with Zelda (and felt like the story/narrative/lore was lacking), I am really wanting to play more of Witcher 3.

Hearts of Stone is downloading now. Excited! :D

When you say DLC, I take it that you mean Blood and Wine, too? I loved both expansions, but Blood and Wine in particular is something else.

When you say DLC, I take it that you mean Blood and Wine, too? I loved both expansions, but Blood and Wine in particular is something else.

Yeah, I meant both expansions.

I wanted to stretch out my experience of Witcher 3 for as long as possible. In 2015 I completed the main game on normal difficulty and obtained all trophies except the Death March one. Last year I played it all again and obtained the platinum trophy and this year will do the expansions (or at least Hearts of Stone).

I just love this game.

Yeah, I meant both expansions.

I wanted to stretch out my experience of Witcher 3 for as long as possible. In 2015 I completed the main game on normal difficulty and obtained all trophies except the Death March one. Last year I played it all again and obtained the platinum trophy and this year will do the expansions (or at least Hearts of Stone).

I just love this game.

I did the opposite and just gorged on it whenever I could. So difficult to put down.

I'd recommend doing Hearts of Stone first before going into Blood and Wine. Definitely do both.

Don't forget Bloodborne, either. ;)

I've now finished Hearts of Stone. Enjoyed it. Now tempted to start Blood and Wine.

I've now finished Hearts of Stone. Enjoyed it. Now tempted to start Blood and Wine.

tenor.gif

As Flink said, do it. I went straight from HoS to B&W and enjoyed B&W more. It definitely felt more "Witcherey" to me and felt like it had more memorable moments.

As Flink said, do it. I went straight from HoS to B&W and enjoyed B&W more. It definitely felt more "Witcherey" to me and felt like it had more memorable moments.

Blood and Wine was just so, so hnnnnnnnggg. I could have spent years just walking around Toussaint. One of my favourite gaming locations now. :love:

I did love the story in Hearts of Stone, though. They're both good expansions, but Blood and Wine is just something else. It's on another level.

Why can't we have moar? :(

That moment where I finally put the game away was depressing.

Semi-hypothetical question here. I've always been meaning to get the DLC at some point but it's been ages since I've played the original, which I have been meaning to replay. Is it worth waiting until I've gone through it again?

This should make a few people on here very happy.

Netflix is developing and producing a new English language drama series based on The Witcher, the globally popular fantasy saga from Polish writer Andrzej Sapkowski, that has entranced legions of fans worldwide. Known collectively as the Witcher Saga, Sapkowski’s eight novels and story collections center on "witchers" -- hunters who develop supernatural abilities at a young age to battle deadly monsters. The New York Times bestselling books have spawned a major video game franchise and have been translated into over 20 languages.

“Andrzej Sapkowski has created a rich and memorable world, at once magical and familiar,” said Erik Barmack, Netflix Vice President, international series. “We couldn’t be more excited about bringing Netflix members around the world.”

“I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing,” said Sapkowski. “I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life.”

Andrzej Sapkowski will serve as a creative consultant on the series. Sean Daniel (The Mummy franchise, Ben-Hur, The Expanse) and Jason Brown (The Expanse), partners at the Sean Daniel Company are executive producers, along with Tomek Baginski (Oscar nominated short The Cathedral, BAFTA winning The Fallen Art, Ambition) and Jarek Sawko (The Fallen Art, Another Day of Life) from Platige Image, the Polish production and visual effects company. Bagiński will also direct at least one episode of each season.

“The Witcher stories follow an unconventional family that comes together to fight for truth in a dangerous world,” said Sean Daniel and Jason Brown. “The characters are original, funny and constantly surprising and we can’t wait to bring them to life at Netflix, the perfect home for innovative storytelling.”

So a Netflix Game of Thrones then. Sounds interesting. Looking forward to this.

Looking forward to seeing how that turns out, CD Projekt set a very high bar with the games.

I got back into reading the books recently, half way through Time of Contempt. The more I read the more I appreciate how well the games continued the story and kept all the main characters personalities so close to the books.

Granted I haven't really played the game for ages, but no matter how many times I try to come back to this, the more I play it, the more I'm finding it a chore.

Not a single character has won me over still, so the story just doesn't interest me... I'm debating just trading it in unfinished... ::shrug:

7 minutes ago, Kav said:

Granted I haven't really played the game for ages, but no matter how many times I try to come back to this, the more I play it, the more I'm finding it a chore.

Not a single character has won me over still, so the story just doesn't interest me... I'm debating just trading it in unfinished... ::shrug:

It's not really the type of game that you can put down for a while and then come back to much later on, especially if you're still in the early stages. I'd wipe everything, put down every other game and jus dedicate my time towards it. How far are you into it?

There's no real advice I can give you that can make your time with it any easier, except for the above. It's a fantasy/adventure game, so it either grips you or it doesn't. It's a bit like Game of Thrones in that sense. You'll either love it or you won't. There's nothing really to "get". 

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

It's not really the type of game that you can put down for a while and then come back to much later on, especially if you're still in the early stages. I'd wipe everything, put down every other game and jus dedicate my time towards it. How far are you into it?

There's no real advice I can give you that can make your time with it any easier, except for the above. It's a fantasy/adventure game, so it either grips you or it doesn't. It's a bit like Game of Thrones in that sense. You'll either love it or you won't. There's nothing really to "get". 

Yeah I know, I just think it doesn't... and probably won't to be honest.

I'm at Kaer Morhen, not long since arrived after Skellige.

I'll probably finish it, but I don't really have much interest in the game still. I can appreciate it does things well, very well, but that the story hasn't gripped me is too much... that and also how it's awful to control, Geralt is so damn fiddly, the sensitivity on the sticks (both movement & camera) is so out of whack, even when turned all the way down... it's REALLY off-putting!

Edited by Kav

3 minutes ago, Kav said:

Yeah I know, I just think it doesn't... and probably won't to be honest.

I'm at Kaer Morhen, not long since arrived after Skellige.

I'll probably finish it, but I don't really have much interest in the game still. I can appreciate it does things well, very well, but that the story hasn't gripped me is too much... that and also how it's awful to control, Geralt is so damn fiddly, the sensitivity on the sticks (both movement & camera) is so out of whack, even when turned all the way down... it's REALLY off-putting!

If you're not enjoying it at that point, then it's just not your thing. No sense in playing something you're not enjoying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Happenstance said:

Not gonna lie, it was hard not to smile when I saw all of those familiar faces in that house. Really love Wild Hunt and its expansions. That music, too.

• Like 2