NEurope
Cube

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

30 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Gwent is just too fun. Have you just got the base game or have you bought the DLC too?

Bought the GOTY Edition so I have everything :peace: But the DLC areas are off limits for a long time.

31 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I remember I couldn't sleep one night in the summer, so I just stayed up and started sailing around the islands in Skellige.

This sounds like something I could do.

Man, this reminds of my youth...staying up all night, playing video games, no worries...good old times. I miss them :(

• Like 1

Well the credits finally rolled tonight. Really enjoyed it, but i'm glad it's over. It really seemed to drag near the end; there was always 'just one more quest' you had to do. Just let me kill the evil ice elf dammit!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the story, and the side quests - it genuinely felt you were in a fantasy novel, but one in which you controlled the plot-line in some way. 

I did not like the combat - man that got boring. Especially some of the later fights where it was just dancing around in circles, then thwack them with your sword a couple of times, then repeat.

Not sure I want to start on the DLC any time soon, think i might wait and see if I get the urge somewhere down the line. My final play time was around 48 hours, and that seems enough for the time being.

EDIT: Some of my favourite moments -

• Bizarre snowball fight with Ciri
  • Performing in a play
  • Being betrayed by a creepy talking hive tree root
  • Dressing up in Yennefer's clothes while drunk and prank calling a mage via a magic mirror
  • Fucking shit up as Ciri while fighting the Wild Hunt
  • The whole scene with the boat on the mountain-top
Edited by bob
  • Like 1

Yeah I have the GOTY edition and its a drag so far. Currently I would tag it alongside Dragon Age for one of the most over rated games ever. The combat is so bad. The game also just wastes your time constantly.

I guess this for people who love outrageously time padded games. Games need to be much more respectful towards your time. Its a good game but lots of aspects are quite out of date or slow or bad. 

Edited by Choze
  • Like 1

Well I wouldn't go that far. I still thought it was a fantastic game, but the pacing of the story was a bit off, and it went on for too long. It could have almost filled two normal games worth of story; I just didn't want to play two similar games back-to-back.

I almost never play rpg games, so I can't compare the combat, but it felt a bit dull. However, it might have got better with a different skill tree? I don't know.

• Like 1

The combat is indeed shite. However, it's a hell of a game with excellent world building and story.

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 3:43 PM, Choze said:

Yeah I have the GOTY edition and its a drag so far. Currently I would tag it alongside Dragon Age for one of the most over rated games ever. The combat is so bad. The game also just wastes your time constantly.

I guess this for people who love outrageously time padded games. Games need to be much more respectful towards your time. Its a good game but lots of aspects are quite out of date or slow or bad. 

I couldn't disagree with this post more.

• Like 2

Perhaps I am being harsh. There are so many pointless mechanics and time wasting features though. The teleport system to repairing your gear. Heck even the menus are designed to be obtuse. Have been digging into Elder Scrolls Online and FFXIV Stormblood lately. Even those games seem to have lots of efficiency. 

I'm getting read to do my very first replay of this mammoth game. Think I'm going to do it all again tomorrow! Quick question for people...did you do New Game + or did you do a fresh restart?

I'm leaning towards doing the whole game again from fresh. Good idea? 

19 hours ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm getting read to do my very first replay of this mammoth game. Think I'm going to do it all again tomorrow! Quick question for people...did you do New Game + or did you do a fresh restart?

I'm leaning towards doing the whole game again from fresh. Good idea? 

Nah, do New Game +. I did and fully enjoyed it. 

3 hours ago, Blade said:

Nah, do New Game +. I did and fully enjoyed it. 

Too late! I started a fresh save file this afternoon. I tell you what, I've forgotten how much I've missed this world. The sunsets are gorgeous and it's just been great walking/riding around the fields and taking it all in. Already put 5 hours in this.

• Like 1

I sat down and played through both of the expansions a few weeks back and it was just amazing being back in the world of The Witcher. I'd picked up the expansion pass last year and started the Blood and Wine one but not finished it and hadn't started Heart and Stone so jumping back in and having all of that to see and plenty to explore had me so excited.

Blood and Wine was just fantastic. Loved the story and the little ones throughout and Toussaint was beautiful. I particularly liked the way you ended up getting the Aerondight sword and liked the vampire armour. That became a mainstay for me through pretty much all of that expansion and when I jumped into Heart and Stone.

It really is a perfect example of what an expansion should be for a game and reminds me of the old days with PC games where that was the level of expansion you got for your game, not like nowadays when some expansions can hardly be call one. A whole new regions chock full of quests, characters, new enemies, weapons and armour, a vineyard (where Yennifer decided to join me) and some great story moments (the wraith with all the spoons for example) and after 40 odd hours there's still plenty left for me to go back to. Maybe I will soon.

Heart and Stone, while not quite being on that level, was still a great expansion with a concise story that was done really well. And I loved the storyline with Shani. I'd have loved more of the Ofieri people and to hear more of that culture, or to see it, but that's a small moot point when the ending sections were done so well with the paintings

I'd obviously played the expansions the wrong way round and blitzed through Heart and Stone due to being level 50 but it was still fun. Just sad that it's over, though I do want to jump back in and play a fresh save file with New Game + so maybe get round to that later this year.

But as I said, it was amazing going back into that world. Playing the expansions only cemented how much I loved the game. I'd love to see then remake both the original and second Witcher games for current consoles, just to get more Witcher goodness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I sat down and played through both of the expansions a few weeks back and it was just amazing being back in the world of The Witcher. I'd picked up the expansion pass last year and started the Blood and Wine one but not finished it and hadn't started Heart and Stone so jumping back in and having all of that to see and plenty to explore had me so excited.

Blood and Wine was just fantastic. Loved the story and the little ones throughout and Toussaint was beautiful. I particularly liked the way you ended up getting the Aerondight sword and liked the vampire armour. That became a mainstay for me through pretty much all of that expansion and when I jumped into Heart and Stone.

It really is a perfect example of what an expansion should be for a game and reminds me of the old days with PC games where that was the level of expansion you got for your game, not like nowadays when some expansions can hardly be call one. A whole new regions chock full of quests, characters, new enemies, weapons and armour, a vineyard (where Yennifer decided to join me) and some great story moments (the wraith with all the spoons for example) and after 40 odd hours there's still plenty left for me to go back to. Maybe I will soon.

Heart and Stone, while not quite being on that level, was still a great expansion with a concise story that was done really well. And I loved the storyline with Shani. I'd have loved more of the Ofieri people and to hear more of that culture, or to see it, but that's a small moot point when the ending sections were done so well with the paintings

I'd obviously played the expansions the wrong way round and blitzed through Heart and Stone due to being level 50 but it was still fun. Just sad that it's over, though I do want to jump back in and play a fresh save file with New Game + so maybe get round to that later this year.

But as I said, it was amazing going back into that world. Playing the expansions only cemented how much I loved the game. I'd love to see then remake both the original and second Witcher games for current consoles, just to get more Witcher goodness.

I started my second run yesterday and just have to echo what you're saying. It's amazing being back in that world and there just feels like there is a story around every corner. I enjoyed Hearts of Stone, but Blood and Wine is really something else. Toussaint is stunning and I did feel a huge sadness when I finished that story to realise that there was no more left. Just brilliant. I'm really enjoying going through the game again. 

The first two Witcher games being re-done to the standard of The Witcher 3 would just be glorious. It is surely too much work though for CD Projekt Red, who are busy getting Cyberpunk ready. A shame, but I guess we can't have everything. :D 

The writing in Wild Hunt + expansions...simply fantastic. I'm enjoying reading all of the journals that you find, beastiary entries, the books that you can loot, etc, plus all of the dialogue itself. It really sets this apart from so many other games. I can't fathom just how much effort went into that particular aspect of the game.

• Like 1

Downloading this again on my PS4 Pro. Can't believe I forgot about this.

Not sure exactly where I am on my save file but can't wait to play this again. :peace: 

• Like 1

I still need to do the expansions, but it's hard to find the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drahkon said:

Downloading this again on my PS4 Pro. Can't believe I forgot about this.

Not sure exactly where I am on my save file but can't wait to play this again. :peace: 

Why did you stop in the first place? :p

Start a fresh save. Do it aaaall again. Love it.

5 hours ago, bob said:

I still need to do the expansions, but it's hard to find the time.

You're looking at over 20+ hours for the expansions. Actually, probably triple that. It's a huge time-sink. I can understand why it's off putting to get started. My advice would be to start with Hearts of Stone first and then do Blood and Wine after, since that's longer. 

1 minute ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Hey, at least he's actually started it. :p

*stares at PS4 shelf*

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Start a fresh save. Do it aaaall again. Love it.

If I remember correctly my play through was rudely interrupted by my ex girlfriend's decision to break up with me. :p 

I won't start again. I've followed several guides to ensure that I don't miss any missable trophies. Don't want to lay the foundation for that yet again :D 

I recently completed this again, was waiting for the PS4 Pro patches to finally be sorted.

My initial plan was just to breeze through it on easy to get through the main story and then properly dive into the expansions which I had never played before. That was until I realised that as I had downloaded the Game of the Year edition it didn't have any of the trophies from the standard edition. So I replayed it on Death March and platinumed it again (I have three platinum trophies, two of them are Witcher 3 :heh: ).

I think I totalled around 170 hours once all was finished. This is definitely one of my favourite games of all time, possibly number one and the expansions just added to the love I have for it!

• Like 3

I have finished this game twice, platinumed it and completed the expansions. 

I absolutely loved it and so tempted to play it again.

• Like 1

The download is almost complete, damn my internet connection :D 

Cannot freaking wait to dive back in which means I will only play Gwent yet again :laughing: 

Edited by drahkon

15 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Hey, at least he's actually started it. :p

*stares at PS4 shelf*

tenor.gif?itemid=4527128

15 hours ago, drahkon said:

If I remember correctly my play through was rudely interrupted by my ex girlfriend's decision to break up with me. :p 

I won't start again. I've followed several guides to ensure that I don't miss any missable trophies. Don't want to lay the foundation for that yet again :D 

Ah, uh, hmm...that really should have given you more time to play then! :D

13 hours ago, Eddage said:

I recently completed this again, was waiting for the PS4 Pro patches to finally be sorted.

My initial plan was just to breeze through it on easy to get through the main story and then properly dive into the expansions which I had never played before. That was until I realised that as I had downloaded the Game of the Year edition it didn't have any of the trophies from the standard edition. So I replayed it on Death March and platinumed it again (I have three platinum trophies, two of them are Witcher 3 :heh: ).

I think I totalled around 170 hours once all was finished. This is definitely one of my favourite games of all time, possibly number one and the expansions just added to the love I have for it!

That's hardcore, maaaan. What's it like on Pro? 
Think my playtime came to over 300 hours or so, but I also spent loads of time trotting around in the fields and staring at the sunsets, or sailing around Skellige doing fuck all. Loved it, tbh. One of those games where you can waste lots of time doing not an awful lot.

3 hours ago, Blade said:

I have finished this game twice, platinumed it and completed the expansions. 

I absolutely loved it and so tempted to play it again.

Do it, man. I've just arrived in Novigrad and am taking in all of the sights. In the middle of the Bloody Baron quest and am about to do the Botchling bit. 
Planning to get it on with Yennifer, Geralt's true one-it is. Previously I wanted both Triss and Yen, but that led to that hilarious "threesome fake-out" scene towards the end of the game. 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

The download is almost complete, damn my internet connection :D 

Cannot freaking wait to dive back in which means I will only play Gwent yet again :laughing: 

Gwent is too addictive. I bought the physical expansions and got the Gwent Decks to come with it. I just love it. 

• Like 1