NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Mirror's Edge: Catalyst (June 9th)

Coming out "when it's ready".

On PS4, Xbox One and PC.

Site is here.

Edit:

"Official Twitter channel for Mirror's Edge™ coming to PC, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4."

ME_Wallpaper_16x9_1920x1080_01.jpg

New Mirror’s Edge™ Announced

Mirror’s Edge™ and its heroine Faith have always been dear to us at DICE. That is why we are very excited to announce an all-new next generation Mirror’s Edge is in development. In this introductory blog post, Senior Producer Sara Jansson shares her personal thoughts on spearheading this new project.

Hi, my name is Sara Jansson, and I have the honor of working as Senior Producer for Mirror’s Edge.

Wow, it feels great to finally be able to type those words. Ever since we introduced the world to Mirror’s Edge in 2008, we have been waiting for the right moment to bring Faith back -- and we know you have been waiting as well. We’re taking Mirror’s Edge to a new era of entertainment delivering unique gameplay only possible today with our newly developed Frostbite engine and the arrival of the next generation platforms. You can get a glimpse of what I’m talking about in the official Mirror’s Edge E3 Teaser Trailer above.

Like so many fans I fell in love with the original Mirror’s Edge. I think it’s because it did things in a brave new way from the first-person parkour inspired movement in a vertical environment to the unique art direction; all of this based in at stark dystopian setting that still feels too close for comfort. But perhaps the strongest element in Mirror’s Edge is its iconic heroine, Faith. In 2008, I was one of the millions of fans who connected with Faith. Today, I feel privileged to be leading the charge on a new Mirror’s Edge featuring one of gaming’s most inspiring and true heroines.

So there you have it. The stake is in the ground, this new game will be a first-person action adventure starring Faith and I am here to tell you that we will stay true to Mirror’s Edge.

As we embark on this new adventure, I ask that you be patient as we explore the best way to make Faith’s return as memorable and impactful as the original game. We are still in early stages of development and we don’t want to rush anything. We want to make sure we create an experience that lives up to high expectations and fully takes advantage of the next generation of systems.

Finally, I want to extend a sincere thank you to all of our fans. Every time you have asked us about the future of Faith, we have felt your support. Without you, the new Mirror’s Edge wouldn’t be happening.

Sara Jansson

Senior Producer, Mirror’s Edge

DICE

We’ll have more information to share with you all in due time. You can follow our official channels to make sure you don’t miss anything. Like us on our Mirror’s Edge Facebook channel and Twitter account for any official updates as they happen.

Edited by Dante

Not much to see but it looks good :) if they can nail the combat, apply it to an existing winning formula and bring it bang up to date it should be hard to go wrong. What they could do with is looking for a way to put Batman Arkham City style combat into a first person environment but blended with the speed/evasion/parkour element, which it looks like they went for. Shame the trailer didn't have a bit more building hopping!

Is this a prequel?... given that's she's getting the eye tattoo?

Anyway, happy this is happening! :) Would have been better if the trailer had focused on free running than combat.

Not much to see but it looks good :) if they can nail the combat, apply it to an existing winning formula and bring it bang up to date it should be hard to go wrong. What they could do with is looking for a way to put Batman Arkham City style combat into a first person environment but blended with the speed/evasion/parkour element, which it looks like they went for. Shame the trailer didn't have a bit more building hopping!

I think they should just completely get rid of combat. Those first few levels on the original were among the best things I've ever experienced in a videogame. Everything else was shit.

Less tunnels/sewers/indoors stuff, more rooftop action. Less combat, more free running. As little story as possible. More emphasis on audiovisual synesthesia. Perfect recipe.

Anyway, happy this is happening! :) Would have been better if the trailer had focused on free running than combat.

Maybe it was mascara last time lol :laughing:

Mirrors Edge was an incredibly ambitious game which with the new tech they might be able to pull off. Colour me interested.

naVOikS.gif

Long overdue. I loved the 1st game warts and all, with better design this could be spectacular.

:o Genuinely didn't think they'd do it. Even with all the rumours going round about it happening, I honestly thought the best EA would give would be some iPad title.

So majorly happy to see this announced though!!! Bought the first on day 1 at full price and didn't even care because like others, I loved it despite its flaws.

Just drop gunplay and focus the hand to hand combat with plenty of free running and it'll be a win! And thankfully, it's not Xbone exclusive so if I do decide to buy it on the PS4 (sure as hell not putting up with Origin on the PC to play it) then at least I can get it there.

The only thing that could top this would be Ubisoft giving us BG&E2. Oh please let it happen!

Less tunnels/sewers/indoors stuff, more rooftop action. Less combat, more free running. As little story as possible. More emphasis on audiovisual synesthesia. Perfect recipe.

The only bit I'll argue is not needing story story - the Mirror's Edge concept is brilliant. It's a safe & prosperous democratic world but where information, communications & data is tightly controlled & monitored by both state and companies and open dissent is brutally suppressed. Unfortunately the story of the first game was naff and didn't develop those things at all well, which is a hideous shame because it was basically 5 years ahead of the game. It absolutely needs it's story, it needs a better story.

The only bit I'll argue is not needing story story - the Mirror's Edge concept is brilliant. It's a safe & prosperous democratic world but where information, communications & data is tightly controlled & monitored by both state and companies and open dissent is brutally suppressed. Unfortunately the story of the first game was naff and didn't develop those things at all well, which is a hideous shame because it was basically 5 years ahead of the game. It absolutely needs it's story, it needs a better story.

I agree. But...one knows what to expect, so I'd rather have as little as possible than have to put up with the crap they're gonna come up with for it. I hope I'm wrong in assuming it's gonna be terrible... I just don't understand why developers don't pull a Bioshock more often and go borrow concepts from novels... I could see alot of Philip K. Dick's stuff working in the context of Mirror's Edge.

Which reminded me of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (Blade Runner) right now, since it even has couriers. They could make it work if they shifted the grimey run down poverty but full of life parts into the underground segments and keep everything sparkling and clean on the surface. Faith could very easily fit into Deckard's role. Now, something like that I would not only not mind at all but also greatly encourage. But sadly we'll end up being stuck with crap, as usual.

Screens:

mirrors_edge_e3_2013_xdbog.png

mirrors_edge_e3_2013_cvlu4.png

mirrors_edge_e3_2013_aqa13.png

mirrors_edge_e3_2013_zdyhh.png

Reboot!

The game will serve as a reboot for the franchise and tell an "all-new origin story" for heroine Faith.

"We introduced Mirror's Edge and Faith to gamers five years ago, and we've waited for the right moment to reunite them," said producer Sara Jansson. "Thanks to the Frostbite engine and a new generation of platforms, we are now able to deliver a richer world that players will be able to explore with a new level of freedom in both movement and action."
Edited by Dante
Automerged Doublepost

lol, a reboot! :p

Well ok, it sounds like they're going to make a serious go of this franchise now on the next gen consoles. Sounds like it's gonna become a proper series with a few entries throughout this generation. :)

Faith does sort of need an overhaul as a character - I'm glad they've kept her basic design, I hope they make her a more positive force with the same themes. I also feel particularly comfortable for having a female producer guiding the general direction.

Mirror's Edge is open world

The recently announced Mirror's Edge reboot has been referred to as an "open-world action adventure game" by EA Labels president Frank Gibeau.

The executive was speaking at the publisher's E3 2013 analyst call, during which he discussed EA's product portfolio for the year ahead.

So many open-worlds games announced at e3. :)

A lot of people were expecting open world from the reveal of the first game. Hopefully they put a lot of time into tying a lot of that open world together though. I'd happily have a relatively small open world with a lot of routes and depth, than a large open world which is very sparse and mostly takes place on one level.

Great news! :D (though I agree with Shorty)

I love the idea of getting an objective and having to free run right across town!

The theme from the 1st game "Still Alive" had a whole official mix compilation. True to form, somebody has already taken the soundtrack from the trailer and mixed that.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

It's all off to a good start.

Wow, was it really two years ago that this was announced? Really excited for what's coming, hope it's not too far away! Here's some spiel around the new name:

Mirror’s Edge has always had a special place in the hearts of all of us at DICE. The first game had a lot of promise. It was unlike anything else in terms of the gameplay and style — it had a unique soul. But as much as we loved that game, we knew it could be more. So that’s what we have set out to do as we introduce Mirror’s Edge to a new generation.

“The team has spent a lot of time re-evaluating every aspect of the game and making it a new experience. This is not a sequel, this is not Mirror’s Edge 2. We have landed on a vision that honours the first game — pushing the boundaries of first person movement and diving deeper into the story behind our heroine Faith — but also brings a lot of great new, interesting gameplay and features to the experience for our players.

~Senior Producer, Sara Jansson

Wow, was it really two years ago that this was announced?
Woah... I thought it was last E3!

Woah... I thought it was last E3!

It was part of EA's showing of games last year which were coming further down the line than the year they were looking at, but announced the year before. So all we saw were some concept clips of how they're trying to incorporate combat into how Faith runs and moves around the environment, i.e. so using the environment to launch yourself and get the better of enemies as opposed to having to take them on in a fist fight.

Currently down as a Q4 titles for release between January and the end of March next year, though I wouldn't be surprised to see that tentative window slide a little. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised for DICE to give a rough date next week.

The little bits of information that have been given and have dribbled out since its unveiling suggest they are focusing on the elements which made the original good so that can only be a good thing. And with how they're tackling the combat, I think there should be some vast improvements there and all around.

Really looking forward to seeing what they're doing with the game. Guessing that with the subtitle as it is, we're going to be seeing why/how Faith became the runner she did in the original with some of the story that was put in the comics coming in here. Anyway, can't wait.

Edited by Ganepark32

Trailer from the EA conference:

And a release date: February 23rd 2016! :yay: Looking good, and nice to have proper confirmation that it's an open world that you can roam within.

Sign in to follow this