N-Europe

Official E3 Nintendo Direct Discussion - 11th June @ 3pm

Mokong

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

I think the staging for the Nintendo Direct was pretty significant. Holding it from a massive empty room at Nintendo HQ where Iwata took time to mention the fact there would be a shareholders meeting the following month makes me think he was trying to tell us something.

Nintendo are under massive pressure from their shareholders, and with that in mind, they have had to play it safe, and focus all their efforts on things that have been proven to sell, like Mario, DK ect.

Nintendo need to sell consoles to the simpleton, in order to get its feet off the ground. Simpletons are not going to buy Star Fox, Metroid or anything they dont recognise, hence why i think we didnt get any Megatons which would make us fanboys cream. This is to appease the shareholders.

I do not think it was a bad conference, after all i will probably be buying all those games that were shown (apart from 3rd party stuff and that downright offensive Wii Party U game), and i think that most of you guys on here would agree with that and be in the same boat, so for Nintendo to show me 7/8 games that i would put down as definite buys is quite good.

I'm happy to play enjoyable (but admittedly uninspiring) games for the next year to get the console out of the shit hole that it's currently in. Because i know once the mass market is fed, that's when we will start to see true innovation coming our way. Because let's face it, us hardcore gamers dont make up a great % of those 100m Wii consoles sold, so we come 2nd.

I agree with the vast majority of that, except for the better games coming later on. In the past, that sort of thing has been part of the plan from the beginning. Eg. Mario 64 at launch, sets the template for Ocarina of Time, which in turn has a same-engine sequel, Majora's Mask. Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine out early, another Zelda game (Twilight Princess) built on the same engine a bit later. My biggest concern about the Wii U is that it doesn't feel like they've set it up for this type of game.

It's interesting the difference in opinions to this forum and places that are not so game orientated like digital spy etc.

People on there have generally had nothing but great things to say about the reveals of MK8, Mario 3d, and DKCR as well as Smash Bros etc.

Loads of comments from people saying that these are the games that could finally tempt them to buy a Wii U.

It's really great to see.

Although I understand there was a lot of disappointed people, what Nintendo needs to do right now is get some people interested in buying the Wii U. These games will go a long way to doing that in my opinion and that is the main thing here. As much as people were crying out for Metroid or Star Fox or a new IP, I don't think that's what the majority of people want. And I think Nintendo know that.

I didn't see the conference but @Mike1988uk text me all the reveals and I felt somewhat underwhelmed. That was until I saw the games in action, saw some screen shots and some videos of the games - and i just saw fun fun times ahead. And that's exactly what I want from my Nintendo Wii U. Fun. It's what the 3ds has provided me for almost 2 years now (and looks to continue to do so) and it seems the Wii U will do exactly the same. And I can't wait.

Good stuff Ninty. Just get promoting now and get these new games advertised properly!

Check out how the Software Showcase went.

&ap=%%2526fmt%%3D22&fmt=22&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01">
&ap=%%2526fmt%%3D22&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="615" height="360">

Watch -

after my initial disappointment and some thinking, and i think it was actually a decent direct, everything was either a safe good/great game, or an update of previous megatons (x/Bayonetta) it was the lack of new megatons, and i'm okay with that

not a single game was bad, in fact i want all of them, my disappointment is "coming 2014".

and i've also noticed what @Aneres11 noticed that actually "the internet" thought it was generally a good nintendo e3 reveal

after my initial disappointment and some thinking, and i think it was actually a decent direct, everything was either a safe good/great game, or an update of previous megatons (x/Bayonetta) it was the lack of new megatons, and i'm okay with that

not a single game was bad, in fact i want all of them, my disappointment is "coming 2014".

and i've also noticed what @Aneres11 noticed that actually "the internet" thought it was generally a good nintendo e3 reveal

What I'm seeing a lot around the net is people being disappointed at first, but now they've seen HD video, developer directs (which would have been at the E3 conference really) and so on, they're actually pretty psyched

As I read this thread, I have to say: people were disappointed by this? Seriously!?

It's enough to make me leave the fandom and gamer communities in general.

One quote in particular gets to me:

They had to do one thing... bring the games...

... They didn't.

They literally announced and showed everything they said they were going to announce and show. Literally.

They did show the games. They just weren't to your liking.

I just don't get this mentality. "It wasn't what I wanted, therefore they are doomed." Is anybody using the same kind of arguments for other companies? I remember Zechs using it for the newly-announced Killzone on the PS4, and people simply dismissed what he said (and rightfully so). Why do people think that doing it to another company makes it valid?

So, seeing Nintendo Directs does make me think "Oh, these games look a bit better than I initially thought".

However, that's still a problem. They need marketable games for the system to succeed. If a sizzle reel style video showing off highlights of all the games coming on the system ISN'T making people excited, that's a big problem. They need to counter the wave of negative publicity. They need things that are impressive on first impact.

Also, even after seeing some more on Mario, Smash, etc and thinking "Yeah, these look okay", I can't shake the feeling in my gut that if there's no more games announced (and there probably wont be), it'll be both disappointing and kind of depressing.

There's still nothing I'm actually really excited and hyped for. It'd be nice to have had at least one left-field title. F-Zero, Starfox on Wii U, a new Metroid or an exciting new IP. Something like that.

What was once a very good E3 for Nintendo now feels great, especially after the news, hands-on, impressions sink in.

What I'm seeing a lot around the net is people being disappointed at first, but now they've seen HD video, developer directs (which would have been at the E3 conference really) and so on, they're actually pretty psyched

Those developer directs help a lot

Those have been great, every single one I've seen so far have either clarified something, described it in a new light or just gave their rationale behind the decisions.

Thing is, people want these games. Like I said - on other not so game central forums, people were really impressed with what they saw and a lot of people were saying they wanted to buy into the Wii U when they were released.

If Nintendo brought out a new IP which could be potentially risky with the Wii U not selling well at the min, or a franchise like Star Fox, Metroid etc - it would not sell. The mass market who bought the Wii who haven't yet bought into the Wii U do not want those games and they wouldn't be beneficial from a finance perspective for Nintendo.

Maybe as the console sales grow with the release of these games (which it surely will) we'll see some new IP's or the revival of some older franchises.

But for now I saw enjoy what's coming! : peace:

So apparently we're missing/missed a GT stream of Regginator getting grilled about EA!

http://nintendocon.com/reggie-confident-in-3rd-party-support/

Gametrailers.com is currently interviewing Reggie on a variety of issues. Geoff Keighley really pushed the 3rd party issue and pressed Reggie on the lack of support. Overall, Reggie seemed very confident in the Wii U’s upcoming 3rd party support. He did make note to mention how Activision, Disney, Warner Bros. and Ubisoft are all making games for the Wii U. Reggie also mentioned how EA will be developing Wii U games in the future.

When Keighley asked Reggie about the overall general consumer view of the Wii U, Reggie responded by saying there is only one place where people can play Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong games. While this may be true, Keighley did do a great job about confronting Reggie with the lack of 3rd party games which are confirmed not to come to the Wii U.

For example, Keighley brought up how Madden, and many other sports games, won’t be coming to the Wii U. Reggie did say 3rd parties are waiting for Nintendo to build up the Wii U’s install base, but he was a little mystic in his answer of, “Just wait and see.”

While this does imply some sort*of unheard of 3rd party support, regarding sports games or FPS games, it’s hard to imagine any upcoming major announcement concerning 3rd party games.

Reggie was quite*adamant*that we wait until the holidays to see what will happen. Hopefully, this means Nintendo is going to start pursuing 3rd parties even more.

Edited by madeinbeats

The stuff that was shown was bloody excellent. Smash Bros will undoubtedly be great, as usual, Mario Kart will probably be tons of fun, Xeno looks on par with probably anything shown during the Sony presentation.

I feel conflicted regarding Mario World. The game seems to be a lot of fun and looks quite good. My problem is that it feels too obviously built from tiles. The areas are square, with sharp 90 degree edges. And of course, to me, top down cameras essentially kill off the immersion. I don't know, those two factors together reminds me of Sonic 3D Blast:

Sonic_3D_Blast_16_9_Wallpaper_by_Ryokai.jpg

Which is a shame, because I want a proper sequel reminiscent of Mario 64/Mario Sunshine.

And I must be a bit of a killjoy and say that putting Retro Studios on another 2D Donkey Kong is a waste of their tallent. We already have New Mario Bros and Nintendo have shown us Yarn Yoshi. Plus that we've got Rayman.

Kinda feels like retro 2D platformers are the Wii U's equivelant to the other consoles Modern Military Shooters. I'd love to see Retro take on a new franchise or create their own.

But overall, this is the best E3 in years, perhaps the best since 2007.

Perhaps Wii Fit woman has her own game coming out developed in collaboration with EA?!...I think I saw part of that interview, he was being quite evasive and just kind of talking, rightly at their event, of what Nintendo were offering.

Finally managed to watch some of the videos on eshop through my Wii U, my god does it make such a difference! Graphics look amazing on all of the games, everything flowing smoothly with no buffering/glitches (well, I have to leave my videos to load for 5 minutes before watching them, still...) It just annoys me, and I know I have been on about this a few times, why didn't they have an e3 channel for this on Wii U. Have it so the video plays live through your Wii U as you're watching, showing off the graphics in HD through your HD TV, Nintendo Direct(ly) into your Wii U.

We're also working on a new Wii U Zelda game. Work on that is progressing fairly concretely. In fact, we were thinking about showing it here at E3 but decided to wait just a little bit longer before sharing it with everyone."

I get why, since it won't be done til 2015 and you guys would moan more, but I do wish he had

I think though, for those disappointed Mario in 3D World (I'm not, it looks ace) is that, this is more than likely not the Wii U's flagship Mario game (y'know World/SNES, Sunshine/CUBE, N64/64, Wii/Galaxy). I mean does anyone really believe this is it for Mario platformers, that we're not getting a Mario U/Universe?

Exactly.