NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Choze

Planetside 2. PS4/PC/Mac.

Surprised this has no topic. Big one for the PS4. Awesome awesome game. I am a regular on this. Lots of massive additions since release so PS4 users get a more larger and polished game. More importantly it will remain free to play on PS4 and will be available as a download. Good news for those who can afford the console but no games :p

The game is essentially a fps multiplayer game with 3 factions(you cant change or swap so pick carefully). There are neutral weapons and vehicles too. The world is persistent like in MMORPG's. But its a simple tug of war based on taking resources which give group bonuses on insanely large maps(think all of last gen's BF games maps put together and then bigger). There are real time day and night cycles, light weather and random objectives etc. Its more open ended than other fps but still quite focused if you want it to be. There are lots of changes to conventional fps formulae that solve 'problems' in other games. More importantly its always a blast and rewarding to play.

PS4 version unlikely to share servers with PC game. Mac version planned but no date. No Linux version planned for now.

PC version is available through SOE and Steam. I don't recommend Prosebien or whatever they are. The game has very harsh requirements on PC but its free to play so why not give it a go? Personal tip: Install this on your SSD.

To keep in touch about the game:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/ (has links to elsewhere and good to keep up to date)

https://twitter.com/j_smedley

https://twitter.com/mhigby

Stats: https://players.planetside2.com

• Thousands of players and huge scale. 3 Factions. All distinct. Neutral weaponery etc.
  • Fully free to play
  • All future game content will be free(e.g new vehicles, continents, guns, abilities etc.) so there is only one user base.
  • All gameplay items are available for free. Upgrades/unlocks can not be paid for and must be earned or unlocked.
  • Cosmetics are pay only. NFSU, Tron, Fast and Furious style mods for vehicles etc.
  • Weapons both pay or unlock for free.
  • Broad and regular long term support based on subscription games such as WOW. Lots of content updates. Designed to stay up to date unlike packaged games.
  • Surprisingly not grindy for free to play. Easy to get into compared to most free to play(not like Dust 514 at all).
  • There are regular sales including daily sales and weekly. Special sales occasionally at Easter, Christmas, summer, freebies, promos etc.

Random pics of different settings etc.

861ye.jpg

9mNc5.jpg

J86yp8L.jpg

OnSBtlN.jpg

wbnuTdC.jpg

ps21_1339958660.jpg

2Rg8w4z.jpg

akIdFau.jpg

KbU8zvn.jpg

Edited by Choze

Gave this game a shot a couple of months ago, but my PC couldn't handle it well enough for me to enjoy.

Roll on PS4!

I've heard so much about this so I'm actually really excited.

Damn, when did F2P games start looking so awesome. This and Warframe look like games I could really sink time into.

I've heard so much about this so I'm actually really excited.

Damn, when did F2P games start looking so awesome. This and Warframe look like games I could really sink time into.

If you want a specific year, I would probably say 2010-2011 is when F2P games really started to look worth the time. Mind you, planetside2 is atm has a bit of a steep learning curve as it drops you straight into combat, though I think a tutorial is in place now.

Also its like $5 per gun. You can get a monthly membership which is pretty worth it but you will be unlocking guns slower than one would expect unless you are rich. Though you can happily survive on the guns you start with.

EDIT: Not trying to be negative. The game is fantastic. Just wanted to post some truths oh and make sure you don't try to do stuff on your own as it is first and foremost, a team game.

Edited by Deathjam

Looks like MAG and Starhawk had a baby.

When FPS maps go above 30 players I think things turn a bit shitty.

I think Valve nailed the F2P model with Team Fortress 2.

Lets play a game of hats.

It helps that the game is sublime anyway. I really don't mind buying that mullet for my heavy for £1.29. Also going to buy a few keys for the packages dropped.

Vid from e3 explaining the game to console users. Higby talks about persistence, the factions etc. More importantly its a 2014 game now. If there is no cross play then they will try to share accounts or something so your progress is synced.

though I think a tutorial is in place now.

This would help. I found it easy to get into but missed afew things. Newbies have to grind your first few abilities and weapons. Fact is the unlockable weapons are cooler :p but the abilities are more important for teamwork and unlocking more stuff faster. Also I didn't know about the daily login bonus which speeds up unlocking.

Right now I actually have unlocked majority of the guns for Vanu. So I play for fun mostly. Its kept me from BF3.

Edited by Choze

4th of July today.

Double EXP till Sunday and 40% off station cash for 24 hours.

Good time to level up as well as spend.

They also added a selection of fireworks and patriotic camos.

763.jpg?v=313.45

762.jpg?v=313.45

Huge bump.

The game has officially been released on PS4 and the European servers are finally up and running.

Entered the game and instantly had to defend an outpost :laughing: We lost it :(

We instantly tried to retake it, but I logged off for now. The battle probably still continues.

It seems fun, the shooting mechanics are rewarding. Controls are a bit iffy (pressing L1 + R1 to throw a grenade...) but I'm getting used to them.

A bit overwhelmed by everything...the scope, HUD, menus, buying stuff, classes, loadouts, currencies...

May be a game I will spend some more time with.

Huge bump.

The game has officially been released on PS4 and the European servers are finally up and running.

Entered the game and instantly had to defend an outpost :laughing: We lost it :(

We instantly tried to retake it, but I logged off for now. The battle probably still continues.

It seems fun, the shooting mechanics are rewarding. Controls are a bit iffy (pressing L1 + R1 to throw a grenade...) but I'm getting used to them.

A bit overwhelmed by everything...the scope, HUD, menus, buying stuff, classes, loadouts, currencies...

May be a game I will spend some more time with.

So servers working now? :p

Yeah keep at it. The low levels are nothing :)

Remember when this was supposed to be out for near-launch? Man, those were the days.

Anyway, groovy that's it's here now. Been looking forward to it ever since I tried to play it on my laptop. Without an i5 it's like playing a slideshow.

I am busy with FF14 so not playing this for now. But its a great game.

Some tips:

Starting weapons are fine stats wise (just ugly skins) and some are the best overall. Other guns tend to specialities for situations but on the whole few guns are weak. Attachments are expensive sadly.

Unlock cheap abilities first. Healing, jetpack, health, turrets etc are very useful and cheap.

Medic and Engineer classes unlock the most certs early on due to healing and repairing.

Advanced mods cost alot but are worth it once you have the certs to spend!

Subbing gives you a boost in xp earnings. You can also buy weapons but abilities have to be unlocked. Its not a pay to win game but it does let you unlock faster.

Play in a squad or platoon. You'll get bonus points and perform better. Taking over bases = lots of certs.

I played for about ten minutes. I had no idea what was going on and don't have any desire to go back. For now at least.

Use instant action if you just want to teleport to an important battle. At peak times it should throw you into very large ones.

Bear in mind early on its hard. Better to be a support class.

The game is exceptional, played it back in 2012 for a few months. It'd be amazing to get an N-Europe platoon going.

I picked a bad time to start FFXIV but I am up for this.

Sign in to follow this