NEurope
Haden

Xpert 11 Season 27: We few, we happy few, we band of brothers

Well done, but I'm not worried. Only one point behind and still got the home match left.

Edited by Tales

Well done, but I'm not worried. Only one point behind and still got the home match left.

If I happen to be still ahead by then (and that's a big if) then expect a very defensive 5-4-1 formation ;)

Hi everyone, Roger Federer here.

Great game today 64s. Your backhand was really great. I think I just had it with the serve, though.

Early exit from the French Open, so I thought I'd join the forums.

Thanks,

Roger Federer

Hi everyone, Roger Federer here.

Great game today 64s. Your backhand was really great. I think I just had it with the serve, though.

Early exit from the French Open, so I thought I'd join the forums.

Thanks,

Roger Federer

:hug:

Great win today was badly needed looks like I am going up against some Scottish side that has entered administration next.

Have a new competition thing for this season and reports over weekend keep your eyes peeled :D

Cool, you're on the list...are you going to be the spokesman for your group?

As we have a pretty healthy Inter View list now I may start doing two a week where possible to get through them but we'll see how I'm doing for time, if need be it can just extend into pre-season anyway.

The three of us! Might make for a good one. Get questions about each other in the alliance etc. You can DM Rog as he's now on the forum, the bloody champ (tennis champ not xpert champ, sadly).

Anyway Ell's gone and thrown the toys out the pram after I THRASHED him earlier.

2zhftwm.png

So talking point: do you consider 4-5-1 a defensive formation? Or just a good one?

The game isn't fun for me anymore, i outplay the other team in midfield and attack easily, but my defence will be 1 or 2 less and i'll lose. It's doesn't seem to matter how good your midfield or attack is, it just doesn't seem to be enough to break down any kind of defence that isn't terrible.

I don't think 4-5-1 is defensive or offensive. I usually use it if I want a strong midfield without compromising the defence... so I guess it's kind of cautious in that sense but it can be just as offensive as 3-5-2.

It can't be just as offensive as 3-5-2 because you have one less striker.

My ratings are poor at the moment as well which is why I'm struggling moreso than the 4-5-1 really. My new players need to gel, but the constant barrage of defensively minded 4-5-1 is getting a bit boring.

interview-new-logo.jpg

First of all MadDog of MadPool, welcome to The Inter View..tis always a pleasure to converse with an old fellow nWo compatriot. Just before we start I'd like to say thanks for a good game today and I'm sorry to have been the one to inflict punishment upon you earlier and then ask you to perform an interview with me straight after as I'm probably not your favourite person right now but it's much appreciated.

Question 1) We all know that you're a supporter and administrator of attacking football and it is this which has helped seen some entertaining games and huge victories for your team at Hiles Field over the years such as your 7-0 destruction of Rising Phoenix towards the end of season 24; the season which saw you score a mahoosive total of 68 goals. However, on the flip side, this has lead to your defence being wide open to the counter-attack, seeing them become unstuck on many occasions too such as two seasons ago when you conceded 46 goals; more goals than you've ever conceded in a single season since your now 20th season as a manager here. Do you think this may be why that Elite League Title has eluded you for so long? If not, what do you consider to be the problem? If so, would you consider changing your philosophy to gain results at the expense of entertainment?

My defence doesn't play good ratings, but that's just the way i play. I focus on my midfield and forwards so i can score as many goals as possible. I always expect my defence ratings to be below average, it's not my main focus. When i first started, i had a few good midfielders and i tried to enhance that strength by playing 4-5-1. That got me amongst the better teams. I then developed a couple of good strikers and that evolved us into my current 3-5-2 formation. I've been pretty lucky in that i've always had good midfielders and that's become my 'thing', i'm happy that i have an identity of being an attacking team that tries to play good football. It'd be hard to leave that.

If i was less stubborn, i'm pretty certain i'd have won a league by now. I'll never change how i play and my love of attacking football will never go away. If i'm ever to win a league, it'll be won by playing the football i play now.

Question 2) You seem to have thrown everything but the kitchen sink at trying to win your first ever Elite League trophy and failed so far but now with the emergence of great new teams like Yellow Submarines and DuDs Baggies seemingly creeping up on teams like you and I and catching us off guard, how do you go about trying to push forward at a faster rate of acceleration to them?

Every team will have a period of time when they're competitive, it's just hard to sustain it over a number of seasons i've found. I've spent the last few seasons really focused on playing my best players and neglected my young players, and i think i'll have a spell when i'll be less than competitive in a few seasons time because of that. New teams will eventually challenge, it's just how long they can stay up there and keep their squad at a high level.

I've brought a few young players in and my average age has dropped a little, hopefully my older players are around long enough for these new players to develop into good players.

Question 3) You seemed to have peaked a few seasons ago and become disheartened by a couple of second place finishes. Currently you sit dangerously close to the relegation zone in 7th, level on points with Silverdale who is in the relegation zone in 8th, you have one win, one draw and three losses...is the only way down now for MadPool or is there a grand plan that is escaping the view of the onlookers?

I'm very confident i won't go down, i'm pretty good at beating the weaker teams, i just struggle against the best teams. I obviously want to challenge and i believe i have to quality to do so, but things just don't seem to be going for me. I'm not happy with a solid mid table finish, i want to be challenging, and anything less than that is a poor season for us.

Any final words...

I know one day i will win the league, as many teams have. I think winning it and dominating it for season after season is the ultimate goal for me. Like how Battlestar Galactica and Essex Elites did in the past and how Eights might very well do right now. I'd like to manage one of those legendary squads that go down as one of the best in N-E history, i don't want to just win one title and disappear. I want to go down as one of the best manager ever in N-E history.

Thanks to the Mad one there for his contributions, next up in the hot seat will be...Peeps!

The Inter View list:-

1. Haden
  2. Coloccini
  3. Madpool
  4. Peeps
  5. Eights
  6. Balbuzards
  7. Co-op
  8. Fedex
  9. Recall
  10. bob
  11. Cubic
  12. Valyrian Steelers (Alliance)

Edited by Nikos9

I think a problem I have with xpert and I have said this a few times is in the tactics it says playing offensive gets you more chances playing defensive gets you less. This is not true.

Like at all!

If you play offensive against a defensive team you have the tendancy to get destroyed, it is fine for teams like Eights who are so much more powerful they can steamroll other teams but in a 50-50 a defensive team usuaslly wins which is a bit sad.

I think sometimes the answer is to shake it up a bit with a 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 I mean check out RFC success in the lower league.

I still think the key to the entire game is midfield and sometimes you can have an uber defence and leak goals to a 4-5-1 set up because of the amount of chances that are made.

Anyway all I can say about Ells experience in the top league is that is why I wanted to stay down anoher season lol on the flip side DuD and Yellow are doing great.

MadDog I get where you are coming from, I had such a bad season two seasons before I won my final title with Haden United I wanted to quit, some seasons are just shit in those ones try and prepare for the future and don't go down. I have faith in you :D

Full lower league report for Friday's games coming later today.

And welcome Rgoer Federer

The three of us! Might make for a good one. Get questions about each other in the alliance etc. You can DM Rog as he's now on the forum, the bloody champ (tennis champ not xpert champ, sadly).

Anyway Ell's gone and thrown the toys out the pram after I THRASHED him earlier.

2zhftwm.png

So talking point: do you consider 4-5-1 a defensive formation? Or just a good one?

He's got a fucking nerve to moan about defensive teams. He is the most defensive opponent I have ever come across.

4-5-1 is both offensive and defensive. You lack one striker up front, but you rely on getting more goals in midfield. I've won my last two games playing 4-5-1, purely because I get more goals from midfield.

He's a Chelsea fan, he should know this. When was the last time they played 4-4-2? They don't. They play 4-5-1 (or varied into 4-3-3 when sometimes in attack, but Xpert isn't dynamic enough to allow this). Chelsea get goals from midfield with the likes of Mata, Hazard and Lampard. Not Torres.

Boom! 5-0! Looks like when I finally win, I win with style! :awesome:

Lets not get to negative Ell is a great manager and I have been there when I have had some awful games lost by annoying tactics and spouted off it is what makes real football so great when managers have a go at each other.

A league without some of the annoyed managers like Ell or MadDog would suck

Emotions are still running high if you post just after seeing your result :p keep it classy though

N-Euro Elite League Round Three

****Madpool 0-2 Yellow Submarine****

Yellow Submarine attacked hard in the first half to no avail as Madpool’s defenders prove their worth but in the second half, Yellow Submarine were finally able to take the lead with a goal from Richardo Falcao in the 48th minute. Madpool had three chances of their own in the second half of the game but it was still only half as much as Yellow Submarine who seem to be on fire this season. In the 80th minute Alcino Viana secures the win for Yellow Submarine after heading the ball in from a cross.

****Intergalactico Stars 2-1 Silverdale Hotpot***

Intergalactico get their first win of the season this round against Silverdale Hotpot who at least seem to be having a better time of it than they had last season! Nikos Scabos gets the first goal of the game for Intergalactico Stars in the 16th minute which was the only goal of the first half. A couple of injuries in the first half prevented Silverdale from gaining momentum but they were first to score in the second half with a goal coming from Steven Calderwood in the 52nd minute. It seemed like the match would end in a draw as both teams were quite evenly matched but in typical Intergalactico fashion, Gandalf Grey gets a last minute goal in the 91st minute to win the game for Intergalactico.

****DuDs Baggies 2-0 Battlestar Odwinica**

Neither side had lost a game so far in the season but there could be only one winner today and Baggies played well to their home advantage. Brett Chan scored first in the 22nd minute for DuDs Baggies and despite a further three chances, Baggies were unable to score again until the second half. Conor Shearer scored the second goal for Baggies in the 46th minute which was their last goal despite eight chances overall in the game. Odwinica managed two attempts on goal themselves but couldn’t manage to score.

***Winston Gardens FC 1-3 Eights United***

Gardens have not had the easiest of starts after facing Madpool and Odwinica away in their first two games and it’s not about to get easier as their first home game of the season is against Eights United. Eights kept to a tight defence and strong midfield to counter a strong line-up from Winston Gardens. The first half was exciting with both teams getting a good amount of shots on goal but Eights had the better chances and scored in the 17th and 32nd minute with goals from Severin Granås and Terje Isfjord. Charles Ingham kept Gardens in the game with a goal in the 36th minute but they started to lose more and more ground to Eights in the second half and after a goal in the 67th minute from Hjalmar Seljevold, Gardens’ players were too tired to keep up an attack.

***AC Elites 0-1 The Familia FC****

(Formerly Rising Phoenix) The Familia FC were taking no chances today against AC Elites and kept their opponents locked down. Elites managed one chance in the game but failed to score while Familia FC had five attempts on goal but their only success came from a freekick in the 31st minute which was scored by Cletus Sheen.

Manager of the Round: Zell, Yellow Submarine, an away win to Madpool is no easy feat to accomplish but Yellow Submarine made it look easy with a 2-0 win and 10 chances to Madpool’s 4.

Best Performance: Eights United, Eights had it all in this game. They had to fend off 7 chances from their opponents and still managed to create 9 of their own and win 3-1 away from home.

Player of the Round: Severin Granås, Eights United, Granås scored the first goal of the game for Eights united and assisted in the second giving the team a 2-0 lead before Gardens’ first goal.

N-Euro Elite League Round Four

****Eights United 2-0 DuDs Baggies****

Eights continue their unbeaten run with their 12th competitive victory in a row against DuDs Baggies this round. Despite the scoreline, it was a close game with both teams creating four chances against each other. Eights do have an undeniably stronger team however and Hjalmar Seljevold and Charles Almaas prove it by scoring goals in the 19th and 93rd minutes respectively. Still, this was a close game and it shouldn’t be forgotten that Baggies bested Odwinica in their home game last round so this may be a fixture to watch out for in the return leg.

****Battlestar Odwinica 0-0 Yellow Submarine*****

Yellow Submarine continue their unbeaten first foray into the Elite League with an away draw against last season’s second place team. Odwinica had a stronger defence and offence but Yellow Submarine dominated the midfield which meant Odwinica’s strikers barely had a chance to apply their strength. Yellow Submarine had the only chance of the first half and followed it up with four more in the second half but they couldn’t beat Odwinica’s iron defence. Odwinica only managed one chance in the game and it was a close save by Jamie Barton of Yellow Submarine but they too were shut out.

*****Intergalactico Stars 4-2 AC Elites*****

Elites gave Intergalactico a run for their money in this game but the home side had louder fans and they were spurred on to victory. Nikos Scabos was first to score with a goal in the 28th minute but AC Elites were able to equalise thanks to a goal in the 35th minute from Melvin Bodin. Unfortunately for Elites, a mis-hit pass to their own keeper resulted in Clifford Dempster scoring an own goal which put Intergalactico right back into the lead again in the 40th minute. Eager to make up for his teammate’s mistake, Melvin Bodin scored again for AC Elites in the second half and they enjoyed 20 minutes of a tied scoreline before Gandalf Grey pushed Intergalactico back into the lead with a goal in the 75th minute. And just to top it off, Nikos Papadopolos scored a final goal for Intergalactico Stars in the 92nd minute.

**Silverdale Hotpot 4-4 Madpool***

It was hard to tell which team’s fans were more excited today as both sides knew they’d be getting a good show no matter the result. Madpool started off the showboating with a goal from Spence Monk in the very first minute of the game but Steven Calderwood soon responded with a goal for Silverdale in the 3rd minute. Madpool then surged into the lead after a freekick was scored by Reggie Hales in the 14th minute and Archie Gay then scoring in the 24th but Silverdale scraped it back with a freekick of their own, scored by Hernan Orellana in the 29th minute and then a goal from Julian Wacek in the 44th minute. The first half ended with the score at 3-3 but the goals continued into the second half with Madpool kicking things off again as Spence Monk scores first in the 52nd minute. Not happy with Madpool leading for too long, Jamie Jerome levelled the scores again and for the final time with a goal in the 62nd minute.

****Winston Gardens FC 1-2 The Famila FC****

Is there a new curse of the Elite League where one team is doomed to poor results despite a strong team? Last season Silverdale Hotpot were unexplainably close to relegation and this season Winston Gardens just cannot catch a break. The Familia outplayed them at every turn today starting with a goal from Rupert Bachmann in the 18th minute of the game and a second goal from Stan Kingston in the 41st minute saw the first half end 2-0 in favour of The Familia FC. Winston Gardens did well in the second half to keep from conceding any further goals despite five attempts from their opponents but of the three chances of scoring they had themselves, they were only able to score from one – a long range shot from Elroy Goodison in the 86th minute.

Manager of the Round: Nikos9, Intergalactico Stars, AC Elites tried hard this round but Intergalactico’s disciplined team kept up the pace throughout the entire game to secure them the win.

Best Performance: Silverdale Hotpot & Madpool, a joint award this round as these two teams put on a spectacular show from which both sides’ fans came away grinning at their own teams dominance over the other.

Player of the Round: Melvin Bodin, AC Elites, Elites played a defence-favouring 5-4-1 formation today which left Melvin Bodin on his own up front but he was still able to score two goals out of the few occasions in which his teammates were able to get the ball to him.

N-Euro Elite League Round Five

****Madpool 1-2 Intergalactico Stars****

Intergalactico are not the struggling side they were last season as they continue to outmatch the veterans of the Elite League with a victory over Madpool this round. Maximus Decimus Meridius was the first to score in the 9th minute for an early Intergalactico lead but Reggie Hales equalised for Madpool before the first half was over. It continued to be a close game into the second half with both teams creating four chances each overall but Intergalactico got a lucky break in the 80th minute with a freekick from which Gandalf Grey was able dummy the keeper.

*****Silverdale Hotpot 0-1 Battlestar Odwinica****

After a couple of disappointing results, Odwinica’s players were trying their hardest this game and their team ratings show it but Silverdale were playing a tough game themselves and had superior tactics to match. Odwinica was concentrating on defence which prevented Silverdale from creating more than one chance but had the same effect on their own strike force. Their only chance of the game came in the form of a penalty in the 80th minute and Fritjof Tygesen, perhaps sensing that this would be his team’s only chance of a goal, put everything he had into the shot and scored a clutch goal for Odwinica that won them the game.

*****Yellow Submarine 2-0 Eights United****

Yellow Submarine do not see their opponents. They know only football. They come on to the pitch each round and play the game. Did they even know they had beaten the unbeatable Eights United? Did they care? Do they feel? Irving Beasley gave Yellow Submarine an early lead after scoring in the 2nd minute and Submarine kept up the offence, creating seven chances overall compared to just one from Eights. In the 81st minute Nicola Delipiano scored Yellow Submarine’s second goal for safety but Eights had already missed the only chance they were to make this game.

*****Winston Gardens FC 2-0 AC Elites*****

Neither of these teams had won a game so far this season but that was obviously about to change with this match and it was Winston Gardens who had the initiative and won 2-0. With a goal in the very first minute from Fadi Zankho, it was clear that Winston Gardens wanted this victory more and they had the upper hand for the whole match. Most of their attacking came in the second half where they created five chances against Elites who made only two shots on goal in the game. It wasn’t until the 68th minute that Winston Gardens felt safe in their lead when Cornelio Notario scored their second goal but despite a strong showing from AC Elites, they failed to score a goal of their own.

****The Famila FC 0-0 DuDs Baggies****

The Familia FC start to lose momentum this round after two successive wins when they fail to overcome DuDs Baggies who keep their defence tight for a hard-fought point away from home. With no goals being scored it was an uneventful game but The Familia were clearly the more offensive side and created four chances against one from Baggies, but Baggies’ keeper kept them in the game and their defenders made sure he didn’t have too much work to do this match.

Manager of the Round: Zell, Yellow Submarine, with his victory today Zell is the first manager to beat Eights United in a competitive game in a run of 12 games!

Best Performance: Yellow Submarine, Submarine were a hard team to beat this round with team ratings of 11-11-11, 5 stars for the manager and 7 chances created against 1.

Player of the Round: Gandalf Grey, Intergalactico Stars, Grey assisted the first goal of the game which put Intergalactico into the lead and when the match threatened to end in a draw, he managed to beat the pressure to score a game-winning freekick after 80 minutes of play.

Alliances

Infinity: Eights United, Real Peeps, Recall United: 25

Intergalactico Stars, Leeds M.O.T, Fedex United: 24

Valyrian Steelers: Winston Gardens, The Roger Federer Crew, Rossers Rovers: 20

The Shield: Madpool, Hadens Rangers, Coloccini FC: 17

BuBic: DuDs Baggies, bob, Cubic County: 11

Spotlight

The Spotlight this week was on Hadens Rangers vs Atlético Aqui1a. Players were to predict the outcome and how many freekicks would be taken in the game.

Result: Hadens Rangers won 3-0 over Atlético Aqui1a with one freekick in the game. Intergalactico was closest with his guess of 3-1 to Haden and 2 freekicks.

Week 3:

Next week the spotlight is shining on the lower league and we're looking at Tuesday's games. Fedex United vs Recall United both teams have won 4 games and drawn 1 and are in 1st and 2nd place respectively. Please predict the outcome and the midfield rating of each team

Winners:

Week 1: Hadens Rangers

Weel 2: Intergalactico Stars

Edited by The Peeps
Automerged Doublepost

It isn't the fact people play 4-5-1, it is that every team is just sticking with 4-5-1 and making more chances than my 4-4-2 which in theory should have a least some chances if not more but maybe not score them!

Also, I'm not thinking of quitting if people thought that was a worry since I'm not performing well in the big league? I've got a few players to settle in a grow, once that comes about in a couple of seasons I'll be more in line with the big boys as opposed to this major separation.

Also @Madpool, I think the reason I haven't had this phase of thinking of quitting when my team isn't necessarily performing as well as it used to is because I have other teams in other leagues that are probably doing fairly well at the same time as Elites are doing poorly and it balances out. You could try having another team maybe? Expand that crappy Liverpoo philosophy of having crap defenders?

Also, SCREW YOU FLINK.

It isn't the fact people play 4-5-1, it is that every team is just sticking with 4-5-1 and making more chances than my 4-4-2 which in theory should have a least some chances if not more but maybe not score them!

Also, SCREW YOU FLINK.

You're thinking of it in too much of a "flat" way. Defenders just defender, strikers just score and midfielders make up the part in the middle. It doesn't quite work that way. If you choose offensive or very offensive, what I've learned is that the whole team attacks. So, you tend to get more goals from midfield and defensive. What about corners, too? Or set pieces?

Also, part of this is your own fault because you've rigidly stuck to 4-4-2 since I've known you to play the game/when I started with DRAGOOOOO. I remember playing 3-4-3 very offensive at home to your 4-4-2 defensive and ended up losing the game, when my team were in high form and going for the title on the very last day. It works both ways. 4-5-1 regularly beats 4-4-2 because it overthrows the midfield and stops the service to the strikers. The logic that "I have two strikers, he has one, so I should score more," does not hold much water at all. So, you'll find a lot of teams will play 4-5-1/3-5-2 against you because they automatically know you're going with 4-4-2 and they'll try to circumvent that. Why would they try to match it when they can beat it, and theoretically beat you with it?

ITS ALL TRUE. I know that it doesn't work necessarily via a having more strikers approach, but it just seems to suggest 4-5-1 is a formation that should always be used with offensive.

The reason I've stuck with 4-4-2 is for my development needs though. A 4-5-1 approach leaves my forwards with less playing time and therefore they struggle to grow along with my team. Similar to why Madpool's 3-5-2 approach will leave his defence weaker.

I apologise if my reaction has upset anyone (i.e. blubber dragpoo).

ITS ALL TRUE. I know that it doesn't work necessarily via a having more strikers approach, but it just seems to suggest 4-5-1 is a formation that should always be used with offensive.

The reason I've stuck with 4-4-2 is for my development needs though. A 4-5-1 approach leaves my forwards with less playing time and therefore they struggle to grow along with my team. Similar to why Madpool's 3-5-2 approach will leave his defence weaker.

I apologise if my reaction has upset anyone (i.e. blubber dragpoo).

No brah, I love your reaction because if our roles were reversed, I would have done the same. You are my greatest rival and I love pissing you off or you making me angry. IT DRIVES MEEE.

If you have to do it for development, there are ways around it. Like playing 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 3-4-3 even. It makes you more unpredictable. I couldn't stick to one formation all of the time because I'm sure I would lose more games than I'd win, due to that predictability. Also, I only have three strikers now, as I believe that is the future. Four were so difficult to train.

That's it, 4-5-1 every game from now on. FOREVER UNTIL THE END OF TIME.

ELITEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE