NEurope
bryanee

Dying Light

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announces Dying Light, a first-person, action survival horror video game with a portentous day-night cycle set in a vast open world. Currently under development by Techland, the game will be available in 2014 for Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®4, plus Xbox 360, PlayStation®3 system, and PC.

During the day, players will traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population. At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which only appear after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning's first light.

"We are excited to partner with Techland on Dying Light, which is an original gaming experience for next-generation consoles," said Kevin Kebodeaux, Senior Vice President, Sales and Operations, Americas, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. "The partnership with Techland allows us to combine their successful development capabilities with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment's one-of-a-kind publishing expertise to deliver on this title."

"The next-gen technology allows us to create a truly dynamic open world that features a game-changing day-night cycle," said Paweł Marchewka, CEO of Techland. "Inventive free running mechanics also allow for nearly unrestricted exploration and weapon-crafting to further enhance the action survival experience."

Dying Light is a first-person, action survival horror game set in a vast and dangerous open world. During the day, players traverse an expansive urban environment overrun by a vicious outbreak, scavenging the world for supplies and crafting weapons to defend against the growing infected population. At night, the hunter becomes the hunted, as the infected become aggressive and more dangerous. Most frightening are the predators which only appear after sundown. Players must use everything in their power to survive until the morning’s first light.

Survive the Night - During the day, players roam free and scavenge for supplies and weapons. But at night, the world undergoes a deadly transformation: the hunter becomes the hunted as the infected grow more aggressive and numerous, and something far more sinister awakens to stalk its prey.

Free Running Movement - Whether tracking prey or escaping predators, Dying Light lets players swiftly navigate the world by seamlessly leaping between buildings, grappling up walls and pouncing on unsuspecting enemies.

Welcome to the Quarantine - Dying Light is set in a vast open world, delivering expansive and varied environments, a wide variety of enemy classes and a hopeless tale of survival where resources are scarce and the infected are not the only threat.

Brutal Melee and Ranged Combat - get up-close using a variety of light and heavy weapons including knives, bats, axes, sledgehammers and more exotic weaponry or utilize guns and other firepower to take down enemies from a distance.

Choose Your Play Style - Dying Light features four playable characters that can be fully customized and upgraded to match any play style.

Craft Your Weapon - Why use a wrench when you can use a wrench wrapped in electrified barb wire? Dying Light’s sizeable crafting system enables players to create a slew of new, more potent weapons and equipment, as well as specialized ammunition.

Breathtaking Visuals and Gameplay - Dying Light is the first game powered by Chrome Engine 6, a cutting edge incarnation of Techland’s proprietary technology, designed from the ground up for the new console generation, DirectX 11 and other advanced solutions.

JFxbqtbl.jpg

jhP0jrWl.jpg

OxCvvItl.jpg

c7q1IOFl.jpg

9zY3bD6l.jpg

First Look - http://www.polygon.com/2013/5/23/4349654/dying-light-is-techlands-new-free-running-zombie-survival-game

Edited by Retro_Link

I can no longer be bothered to form an opinion on games I don't think I care about.

Is this good?

So is this supposed to be like Dead Island... except good? But not really...

I just can't get hyped about it.

Edited by S.C.G

Yeah I kinda feel the same.

Visually it looks great, and the day/night light/shade is interesting, and hopefully what Resi5 should have done.

But it does kind of feel like 'just another one of those games'.

But who knows.

"Free running"? I'm game until a Mirror's Edge sequel gets released.

Edited by gaggle64

Hmm, I dunno. The screenshots don’t appeal to me, but the description sounds like fun..

Hmm, I dunno. The screenshots don’t appeal to me, but the description sounds like fun..

My thoughts exactly.

This game has got my attention, but it has not my curiosity yet.

I was semi-interested until I heard it was by the people that made Dead Island. I was excited for that game but it turned out to be crap.

With Dead Island reportedly being crap, Techland is obviously having another attempt but changing the title due to a lack of brand loyalty. Or they have no ideas.

We all remember how refreshing an idea Zombies was in Dead Island?

Edited by dwarf

Eurogamer preview

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-29-how-dying-lights-everything-dead-island-could-have-been

There's good reason why Techland's developers weren't satisfied with what they had. For all its boisterous, energetic charm, Dead Island was a scrappy, often ugly mess. First impressions of Dying Light put some of those fears to rest: this is an attractive, coherent take on the zombie genre, and one that looks to offer plenty more than just cheap thrills.

It helps that it's being shown on a high-end PC, in a vision that's set to reflect the target being set for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions. Looking out upon the slum that's part of Dying Light's open world - the tropics of Dead Island having been replaced with a more downbeat but no-less sunny clime - the detail astounds. The shanty huts reach out into the distance until, at some point near the horizon, they blossom into a cluster of tall tower blocks, and when a plane swoops through the skies with its engines ablaze, the trees all sway convincingly under the drama of it all.

And once the scene's stopped being admired Dying Light impresses again, the player moving urgently across the rooftops as they scramble to investigate the scene of the inevitable plane crash. It's more than just a tweak of the slow, trudging walk that made playing Dead Island feel like wading through treacle: it's a part of Dying Light's key new feature, dynamic traversal, an addition that adds as much to the zombie genre as it lifts from Mirror's Edge.

"This is something we felt was missing from zombie games," says Krakowiak. "You're human, smart and agile and you can just jump over chest-high walls and maybe climb over stairs. We want to give players the actual advantage that people always see in movies, in comic books. You can climb rooftops, you can explore interiors of buildings, there's a huge seamless city - well, you really have to go a long way until you see a loading screen."

In practice, it's fluid, dynamic and promises athletic exploration. Telegraph poles can be shimmied up to reach high-up platforms, and overhanging awnings can be grabbed and clambered up. Traversal skills can be upgraded, to a degree - unlike Dead Island there are no set classes, just a set of skills you can choose and specialize in - but from the off there's an impressive and far-reaching set of basic skills.

-----

It's in zombie encounters that it really comes alive. The melee-based combat of Dead Island returns, as does the ability to craft and upgrade weapons, but the most impressive tool in the player's arsenal is now their agility. When hordes attack it's possible to beat a retreat, scrambling up the sides of buildings as undead fingertips grasp at their heels. Find yourself fleeing from enemies and it's a feature that's pushed into subtly different territory. There's an ability to glance back over your shoulder with a single-button press, as well as sliding under gaps in walls making escape a dynamic, potentially thrilling event.

Dying Light? Dying SHITE more like!! Am I right guys!?

Srsly though, looks okay.

I can only hope they put more work into the quality as a whole. Dead Island had so many annoying glitches etc..

If only the game was actually going to play out like that concept. Imagine a Zombie game where getting caught was pretty much it. You could grapple with one zombie... but two or more and unless you've got the jump on them, you've got to run.

Funnily enough that's kinda what Mirror's Edge went for in their combat - sneaking up on one or two enemies is fine, can probably take one straight up 1to1 if you're smart, if the situation is any worse than that it's run or be overwhelmed. But in a zombie game where all the enemies are close-combat it should actually have fewer of the problems ME ran into which made combat its big letdown.

I don't actually have high hopes that it would play out anything like that though.

These guys certainly make a great trailer though I'll give them that!

I really hope it does hold up to the premise shown in the trailer as it really could be all kinds of awesome.

These guys certainly make a great trailer though I'll give them that!

I think Dead Island's sales were pretty much from that CGI trailer.

Unfortuantely the Dead Island guys have no idea what they are doing, the first game was jankey as hell but it had some really good features, they get to part two, strip out the stuff everyone liked and kept all the boring zombie corridors in. Im convinced the contract their fmv out to someone who only has a very rough idea at best at what their games are about because they always look fantastic and then have nothing to do with the actual game.

Ill keep an eye on the review scores but all this talk about how the next generation of machines is allowing them to make all these enhancements only to then announce it for 360 and PS3 makes me doubtfull that its anything more than some PR bullshit.

Hmmmmm... I'm not sure.

It's not as different, as I think I hoped it would be... there just seems to be a few free-running moves thrown in there.

'Night-sense'... yes because we all have one of those :p

If it was some sort of night-vision style glasses that you looked through at night then fine, and that could actually be really cool, but all these 'senses' in games are getting a bit stupid.

Seems they conveniently left off a HUD, because how you have a clue where you're going without one I have no idea.

There were a few decent moment, but at the moment it hasn't really got my interest.

I think it's pretty cool looking. I love any game with parkour in it. The night sense is obviously a video game representation of a traceur's honed senses, just like Faith's runner vision.

I want to like it but the combat looks weightless and unsatisfying.