NEurope
Retro_Link

Rare to show 'historic' franchise at E3

Rare To Show ‘Historic’ Franchise on Xbox One at E3

Microsoft suggests that a “historic” Rare property may be shown off at E3.

Speaking to Polygon, Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer said “fans of Rare and Rare IP I think will be pleased with what we're going to show at E3. We had a limited amount of time today and a lot of story to tell. But Rare remains an incredibly important part of our development capability. That historic IP that they've built I think can play a real important role on Xbox One."

Microsoft acquired Rare in 2002. Late last year, Microsoft renewed its trademark for Killer Instinct, though that renewal was later reported as “refused.” Classic Rare properties that have appeared on Xbox 360 include Perfect Dark and Banjo-Kazooie.

Microsoft’s E3 press conference will take place on Monday, June 10 at 9:30 a.m. Pacific.

It's still frustrating that only one is mentioned. Their franchises is ALL Rare should be working on.

My thoughts about a old Rare IP before yesterday: I will easily buy a console for one.

My thoughts about a old Rare IP now: Not even all of them would convince me to get an Xbox.

Is Rare even Rare these days though? Its been so long since the N64 days you would have expected all the actual talent to have left by now so they would be able to work on proper games instead of avatars and Kinect.

Perfect Dark could get me interested. If it's like the 64 version. Who am I kidding, the original team has gone. All gone...*sob*

No 'Rare' are not 'Rare' anymore... but whether they're crap developers now or not, it's the only place you're gonna get those franchises... in whatever form or level of quality.

All I want is Diddy Kong Racing 64 on the Virtual Console tbh :p

I'd expect this to maybe be Killer Instinct given it's what a lot of people seem to want.

A new Battletoads for XBLA could be cool.

Perfect Dark seems unlikely given they're very COD focused.

Banjo 3 would be great.

But yeah I'm not buying an Xbox One anyway.

Edited by Retro_Link

Interesting...is it enough for me to want the Xbox one? Depends on what it is, it could be a game from when they used to be Ultimate games...Perfect Dark or Killer Instinct seems likely though since Banjo didnt sell anything for them.

People still give a shit about Rare, is it 1999?

Yes, they have indeed very much fallen from grace. But for a lot of Nintendo fans, Rare were a major part of the gaming in our youths. I probably as many Rare games as I do Nintendo games for my N64. Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps... and I regret not getting the all the others as well.

The idea of them being allowed to do something with more potential than avatars and Kinect games is very enticing.

Edited by Hogge

The idea of them being allowed to do something with more potential than avatars and Kinect games is very enticing.

It will feature all of the above, so expect a "historic" Rare franchise (knowing our luck, it's Kinect Sports) to feature the above.

Well, PD0 was pure shit, but I did like Kameo and Banjo-Kazooie N&B. Not too hyped about this though...

It's amazing how times change. A decade ago, we'd all be sacrificing lambs and slaughtering each other in the name of RARE. Now, nobody cares. It's sad just how far they have fallen. RARE's titles just don't have the same impact any more, and their name no longer sells.

Lyk dis if u cri evrytim.

Yes, they have indeed very much fallen from grace. But for a lot of Nintendo fans, Rare were a major part of the gaming in our youths. I probably as many Rare games as I do Nintendo games for my N64. Diddy Kong Racing, Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Blast Corps... and I regret not getting the all the others as well.

I'd rather not have a husk of a company reviving a 'historic franchise' to abuse the nostalgia of my childhood.

I hope it's a new Banjo game and that they announce it with a teaser trailer that makes everyone excited about a sequel in one of their favorite series, only to months later reveal that it plays nothing like the original games and is actually, like, a FarmVille knock-off or something.

I'm gonna go with Killer Instinct. I mean, what other franchise could possibly motivate Microsoft to hype it up? You could say Perfect Dark, but that one had an entry recently, and is certainly dwarfed by COD.

Poor, poor Rare.

It's probably "Kinect Sports Fun Time With Mr. Pants".

Sabre Wulf... what could be more historic than that?

Perhaps even if this isn't Rare's main game, maybe we'll finally get a playable version of 'Mire Mare' which never saw the light of day originally but could be revamped as an arcade title perhaps?

I'd love an Ultimate/Rare arcade compilation personally, I used to love playing Knight Lore on my Amstrad 6128+ back in the day. :)

I hope it’s Grabbed by the ghoulies *.

* Never actually played that game.

Kinect Instinct :indeed:

That’s going to be awkward when playing Orchid as a guy and doing the flash fatality.. That said, best way to die when playing against a girl playing as Orchid.

Jetpac. It's definitely Jetpac.

(I could really care less about Rare tbh, nothing like what they used to be)

I don't think that their definition of "historic" is quite what you guys have in mind...

This was a slide from the Xbone reveal presentation...

rare_zps6adbed5a.png

And if we zoom in on that highlighted picture...

BK0IbdMCQAA0CIU.png

There's a screenshot of a game starring an Arthurian knight, with a Rare logo on the top right...

Edited by Dcubed