NEurope
Zechs Merquise

What Does the XBOX ONE Reveal Mean for Nintendo?

I wouldn't have such vitriolic feelings toward Xbox if it wasn't for paying for Xbox LIVE. They just want to nickel and dime everything.

Good read.

Spec Analysis: Xbox One

I'm fed up with you Nintendo fanboys. How can you say there's nothing new and exciting planned for the next gen?

a778143a-693b-4d7b-a842-b3f9dbb051a3_call-of-duty-dog.jpg

Well, it is a "watercooler".

(I still don't understand what they meant by that)

It means its filtration methods include reverse osmosis, ion exchange and activated carbon.

...wait...

Traditionally, the water cooler is a sort of social hub where workers gather and "have a glass of water" (not work without it officially being a break). So by the correct use of the term, it means that you gather around it at work and gossip.

So yes, Microsoft are working super hard to create a game console so boring and dreary, that when you gather around it, you'll end up discussing other things. And of course, they don't want you to have it in your home, they want it to be at your workplace, where it's dullness will make you go back to work after 5 minutes at most.

What I think they MEANT to say is that it's the subject you'll talk about when you're at the water cooler the day after.

I think it's general, crappy American speak for it'll be the main 'thing' that people will be talking about at work, at the office, or specifically at the 'water cooler' at least I think that's what they meant.

It's a stupid expression in any case.

Or maybe it actually dispenses water, hey they said it does everything ^_^

Or maybe it actually dispenses water, hey they said it does everything ^_^

It's about the right size to be able to do that.

What does this mean for Nintendo? It means that they should get their act together and try and push/advertise the Wii U during 2013 and increase the number of Wii U users out there.

Not so keen on the Xbox One (Xbox Won) name but maybe that's just me.

I think they meant that Xbox One itself is a metaphorical watercooler, particularly the TV features. In other words, you actually share thoughts, ideas and programme suggestions over the internet like how you do when you're standing next to a real watercooler.

Anyway, what this means for Nintendo... It means there's a new power tier, one that Nintendo probably won't be involved in.

From what I'm seeing on Facebook, the show worked. There is buzz about Xbox One, in the way that there has never been about the PS4 or Wii U. Gamers know the PS4 will be good, but the "Xbox" brand now enjoys the loyal following Sony once had with the PlayStation and PS2. Reminds me of the days when I tried to support the Saturn and Dreamcast. :rolleyes:

What Nintendo must do is just get on with making great games and prove that you can sell a machine if the price/package is good enough, regardless of the competition. I also hope they can achieve profitability as soon as possible - if Nintendo can always do this, there can be no real argument that they can't carry on what they're doing.

I agree that outside of gaming forum cloisters this has generated a lot of buzz. Going on the reactions of my friends, at the right price it could sell like crazy. It has a broad appeal (from non-gamer to CoD-gamer) by hitting that lifestyle-tech/slick operation sweetspot that everyone seems to adore now. I've already had the usual suspects bounce up to me with glee declaring that the One is amazing and will destroy all.

So from that perspective I think Microsoft did the right thing. I was taken at first by a lot of the hype.. then we got to the rocket science bit :laughing: From then on it really made me recoil with disgust. As a Windows 8 user the OS is like all the horribly mediated stuff in the splash screen that I ignore, but more so. The "ethos" of sport, TV, EA, Spielberg and CoD couldn't have been less appealing to me on a personal level and it all felt crushingly soulless. I suppose that's where it reminds me of why I like Nintendo.

If things start coming to fruition on the software front, as they did with the 3DS, I think Nintendo will be in a good position in appealing to a different, perhaps younger, sector of the market.

If things start coming to fruition on the software front, as they did with the 3DS, I think Nintendo will be in a good position in appealing to a different, perhaps younger, sector of the market.

I agree, but I hope they don't feel that's their only option. In my opinion, their fastest route to respect would be to make more games like F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime and (considering how excited we all were for it) Twilight Princess.

I agree, but I hope they don't feel that's their only option. In my opinion, their fastest route to respect would be to make more games like F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime and (considering how excited we all were for it) Twilight Princess.

Yeah, I hope so too. They can easily attract part of the "core" audience with games like X, Metroid, Bayonetta, but I think it will remain more niche than the Xbox.

I agree that outside of gaming forum cloisters this has generated a lot of buzz. Going on the reactions of my friends, at the right price it could sell like crazy. It has a broad appeal (from non-gamer to CoD-gamer) by hitting that lifestyle-tech/slick operation sweetspot that everyone seems to adore now. I've already had the usual suspects bounce up to me with glee declaring that the One is amazing and will destroy all.

I got that impression too, but I think that Xbox's name will take a big blow once their hasty customers realise just what its policies truly mean to the 2nd hand market, or how inconvenient the always online policies are. Even its futuristic features like the Kinect are prone to not living up to expectations.

Really, the whole thing is just begging for a bunch of dissatisfied customers.