NEurope
Mokong

Marvel's Phase Two

I can find a thread for "Phase Three" but not Phase Two? Thought we had one already? If there is someone just merge this into it.

Anyway came across this article just now

We all know Downey Jr is now out of contract with Marvel now that Iron Man 3 is finished and Marvel are trying to come to terms with him on a new deal.

According to this article aswell as trying to get what he wants he's also trying to get a pay increase for the other actors too.

Downey earned somewhere between $50 million and $80 million on "The Avengers," and has already earned over $35 million for his work on "Iron Man 3," but his "The Avengers" co-stars aren't making anything close to that. In fact, most of the actors are being paid around $200,000, far less than they would earn on any other movie.

Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth received only a $500,000 pay increase for returning for the "Captain America" and "Thor" sequels. And unlike Downey, the actors will earn only $500,000 more if their movies break the $500 million mark at the box office.

Despite having a contract, Hemsworth considered backing out of "Thor 2," because he earned $5 million working on "Snow White and the Huntsman" and Marvel isn't offering anywhere near that, despite the fact that "Thor" and "The Avengers" are massive franchises. Scarlett Johansson is also fed up and isn't willing to take a pay-cut to return for "The Avengers 2

Highly surprised that there seems to be such a huge difference in pay between RDJ and the other actors.

Hope all come to terms cause I can't imagine Avengers 2 going well without RDJ much less without Hemsworth too.... Scarlett...while I'd miss her she could prolly be easily written out.... given that Thanos will be the badguy for it having Thor sit out wouldn't be an option.

EDIT

Oh and forgot to say... well done on RDJ for trying to get better deals for the other actors too and not just worried bout himself.

Edited by Mokong

Good for him, at least it's not a self deal and he's trying to work on getting the other stars an increase as well. Without Downey Jnr, i don't believe Avengers II will work as well. So hopefully this deal works out and Marvel arn't stingey as it were.

Highly surprised that there seems to be such a huge difference in pay between RDJ and the other actors.

They have completely different contracts. When they started with Iron Man, this whole thing was a big risk. So, in order to help with costs, RDJ agreed to 5 to 7 percent of the box office gross for the films he's in.

RDJ signs new 2 picture deal to play Tony Stark/Iron

http://marvel.com/news/story/20786/robert_downey_jr_to_return_as_marvels_iron_man

Robert Downey Jr. To Return As Marvel's Iron Man

RDJ inks new Marvel deal

Posted Jun 20, 2013 1:30 pm

Updated Jun 20, 2013 1:56 pm

“I am Iron Man.”

Tony Stark’s famous closing line to the very first Iron Man film takes on new life today as Marvel is pleased to announce the signing of Robert Downey, Jr. to reprise the role of the “billionaire, genius, playboy, philanthropist.”

Under the two-picture agreement, Downey will star as Tony Stark/Iron Man in “Marvel’s The Avengers 2” and “Marvel’s The Avengers 3.” Downey is represented at CAA by Bryan Lourd, Jim Toth and Matt Leaf and by his attorneys Tom Hansen and Stewart Brookman of the firm Hansen Jacobson.

Downey, Jr.’s last two Marvel films, 2012’s “Marvel’s The Avengers” and this year’s “Iron Man 3,” rank as two of the top five grossing films of all time, collectively earning over $2.7 billion worldwide to date.

“Marvel’s The Avengers 2” is being written and directed by Joss Whedon. Featuring favorites from the first Avengers film and new Marvel characters never before seen on the big screen, “Marvel’s The Avengers 2” is slated to begin production in March 2014 and open in theaters May 1, 2015.

FInd it interesting that it is just for Avengers 2 and 3... guess there'll be no Iron Man 4, hopefully though Pepper and WarMachine will get to join Tony in Avengers 2 and 3 also. I know Pepper was in Avangers 1 but would like to not lose her and would like to see War Machine get more screentime.

Wonder if this also means he did get a better pay deal for the other Avengers actors like he was trying to do.

RDJ signs new 2 picture deal to play Tony Stark/Iron

http://marvel.com/news/story/20786/robert_downey_jr_to_return_as_marvels_iron_man

FInd it interesting that it is just for Avengers 2 and 3... guess there'll be no Iron Man 4, hopefully though Pepper and WarMachine will get to join Tony in Avengers 2 and 3 also. I know Pepper was in Avangers 1 but would like to not lose her and would like to see War Machine get more screentime.

Wonder if this also means he did get a better pay deal for the other Avengers actors like he was trying to do.

My money is on them doing a Spidey-like reboot in a few years time. There'll be a new Iron Man, new backstory, new actor, still Tony Stark.

Lets begin speculating wildly:

ZACHARY QUINTO!

NORMAN REEDUS!

ELMO!

If they continue to build the Marvel cinematic universe and it continues to be as successful, I don't think they'll reboot Iron Man... I think they'll just find a way to write RDJ out and a new person in.

@Mokong X\-C I wouldn't say it's a surprise he's only signed up for Avengers 2 and 3... I'm not sure anyone could realistically expect anything else, as the Phase 2 and 3 films already fill up all the space in between, there's no room for another Iron Man film until after Avengers 3 and by then I think RDJ would definitely want to be moving on to something else.

I'm just really happy this is all signed now and we get him back!! :D

With his last two films earning over $2.7 billion I'm not surprised everything worked out!!

Edited by Retro_Link

To be honest, Iron Man 3 felt like a great end to his personal arc (heh), so I can see the logic in him only appearing in the team-up films from now on.

They advertised the hell out of the SHIELD series during the Murray match yday. Really excited for it didn't realise it was so far along and out so soon.

I mean really, did she do anything in the Avengers?

Other than discovering Loki's plan and shutting down the portal?

Black Widows kick ass intro into The Avengers was also very cool.

Her scene with Loki and with Banner/Hulk were some of the best in there.

See I just don't remember her in it at all. The only scene I recall was her speaking Russian near the start.

Now that you mention it, I recall her being on top of some building with that portal thing at the end.

But then I don't really remember much about that film other than wanting to shout "shut up you tool" every time Iron Man was on.

See I just don't remember her in it at all. The only scene I recall was her speaking Russian near the start.

Now that you mention it, I recall her being on top of some building with that portal thing at the end.

But then I don't really remember much about that film other than wanting to shout "shut up you tool" every time Iron Man was on.

If I wanted to listen to a loud-mouthed arrogant douche, I'd listen to myself :heh:

He's...okay. I just wasn't in the mood for him then.

Well, while it is true that Iron Man 3 did close out the story quite well, I hope that Downey will be able to get a new contract. He is easily my favorite actor, and I couldn't imagine an Iron Man movie or an Avengers movie without him, ,and trust me, I do want to see more of each. It is very nice of him to try to get his costars pay raises, which just goes to show how awesome he is.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/07/11/marvel-one-shot-agent-carter-spies-a-comic-con-debut

Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter Spies a Comic-Con Debut

New poster, stills and short details revealed.

Last year at San Diego Comic-Con, Marvel hosted a fan screening of its 2012 short film Item 47. This year, the studio is returning to SDCC with the highly anticipated Marvel One-Shot: Agent Carter, starring Captain America's Hayley Atwell in the title role.

According to EW, this latest Marvel short features a post-Cap adventure for Peggy Carter as she teams with the budding S.H.I.E.L.D. organization, the SSR (Strategic Scientific Reserve). Together, they're tasked with tracking down the enigmatic "Zodiac." The short also features the return of Dominic Cooper as Tony Stark's father Howard Stark.

agent-carter-poster-300x461.jpg

EW also released a new still from the short (below), as well as a retro poster of the tall drink of water herself (above).

agent-carter-image-3-610x454.jpg

If you're looking to screen the short at SDCC, be sure to check out the Marvel booth inside the Comic-Con convention hall to see if tickets and theater details are available. EW adds that Friday, July 19 will be the day to watch.

If you can't make the showing, Agent Carter will also be available on the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray release, which hits shelves on September 24.

Still not enough to get me to buy Iron Man 3, but I'm looking forward to seeing it, I did like Hayley Atwell! :)

Maybe it's rhyming slang?

'Tall drink of water - i would definitely court her'.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/10/29/ben-kingsleys-secret-marvel-project-revealed

Ben Kingsley's Secret Marvel Project Revealed

Last week Ben Kinglsey talked about a “Secret Marvel Project” he was working on, telling The Belfast Telegraph that the mysterious shoot involved many of the Iron Man 3 crew.

As we all now know, Kingsley played actor Trevor Slattery in Iron Man 3 rather than the villain himself. According to Latino Review, the secret project is a Marvel One Shot in which “The REAL Mandarin is furious with Aldrich Killian and Ben Kingsley’s character Trevor Slattery for the mockery they made of the real Mandarin’s identity and legacy. The real Mandarin wants to set the record straight.”

So what do you think? Were you annoyed with the way that The Mandarin was portrayed in Iron Man 3? If so, and if this report is true, do you think this is a good way of re-introducing the character? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below, and we’ll have more news on this one as and when it’s confirmed.

DAFUQ... so they're now introducing a 'third' Mandarin?

Iteresting and potentially ballsy move.

So the "REAL" Mandarin just sat back behind the scenes and just let Killian and Slattery run around using his name?

Be interesting to see who would they get to play him though? Would they find someone else? Or keep Kinsley....possibly just say something like Killian hired Slattery cause he was a good Manadrin look-a-like.

I wouldn't mind a new actor much but after the perfectness and expectation Kinsley did in his "Mandarin" scenes in film and used for trailers I also wouldn't say no to seeing that real Manadrin return :heh:

EDIT:

Possibly after the they've used "Agents of SHIELD" to introduce proper "magic" into the Marvel Movie/TV Universe (which I think they are going to do) they'll also have this "real" Manadarin have the proper 10 magic rings!

I'd have thought they'd use Strange and not SHIELD to introduce magic, otherwise Strange's film is going to loose some of it's uniqueness and edge.

I don't really understand this move by Marvel at all. It seems nothing more than backtracking/'we got it wrong' with Mandarin.

Doesn't Killian even say in IM3 'I'm the real Mandarin' or something?... well that's bullshit/umm actually mate you're not. Presumably he was now meant to have been working for the real one? And what reason would the real one have for having not one but two aliases out there?

Seems like a balls up to me.

I'd have thought they'd use Strange and not SHIELD to introduce magic, otherwise Strange's film is going to loose some of it's uniqueness and edge.

Well my suspicions are they will use the show to introduce Strange before his film comes out... or maybe introduce him in the show, he'll then be in Avengers 2 (maybe minor role, maybe main(ish) role) and then have his solo film after that in Phase 3

(have you not read any of my wild theories in the SHIELD thread :D)