NEurope
D_prOdigy

Sonic Lost World (Wii U/3DS)

Well I've finished the story and had a look at my daily log, it says 9 hours 15 minutes which is pretty long although I did spend quite a while trying to grab a few red rings :D

What did you think of the game f00had? Compared to the previous 3d Sonic's?

Be good to hear some final thoughts from those who've finished it! :hehe:

If learn how to be really good at the game, that's what it looks like.

Well I still have some extra stages left to do and collect all the red rings and get S ranks on all the time trials so this isn't my final opinion. The game's weird how you don't get ranked in normal stages but you do for time trials :S

The game isn't as fast as Sonic Generations or Colours but you do have a lot more control over Sonic and when you're spin dashing it definitely doesn't feel slow. When you do have to jump the controls are responsive for the most part but you can't build up speed in mid air making some jumps difficult especially if you don't have room to build up speed.

Many of the stages are quite long and there are 4 in each zone which is better than Sonic Colours which had about 7 stages per world but only 2 of them were a decent length so that's one thing Lost World does better. The levels become quite challenging after you finish the 1st world, I'd say it's the hardest Sonic game to date especially since you actually have more control over Sonic compared to previous games.

The game doesn't do a good job explaining mechanics e.g. how to run along walls, how to use certain wisps, how to use the items you get or what they do. There's nothing explaining those in the digital instruction manual either which is a bit odd.

I wish there was a way to view cutscenes like in Generations/Unleashed because the story is actually quite interesting. It's reminiscent of the Adventure games but without taking itself too seriously and I enjoyed all the character interactions.

Not sure what else to say, if you wanna know any more ask away!

What f00 said

Nope, that's bang on! Good to hear that it does a lot of stuff well but I do agree that it's odd how they don't do anything to explain the different mechanics of Sonic's movement - wall jump etc. Same with the Wisps. Seem very odd when a lot of younger gamers will probably be picking this up!

Anyway, thanks for posting your thoughts! : peace:

Not a big fan of Sonic platformers, only played a handful, and I havent completed any apart from the first Rush on DS, but I'm enjoying this. The 2D and gimicky 3D levels have been my favourite parts of the game, not so keen on the 'traditional' Sonic 3D levels. It's far from perfect and it does have some frustrating moments, but when everything works it's great fun!

Are all the levels, 'boss rush/replay' type here then?

Nah, there's that one and then another one later but this is an actual level rather than running around on a ball/planet.

I've nearly finished the game now. I just need a few more red rings ( got 6 Chaos Emeralds ) and then I'll head off to the final boss.

If learn how to be really good at the game, that's what it looks like.

Hmm. See when I watch that video, I do think Sonic looks really slow.

But when it's compared to this:

I guess it's bound too.

I can't really say anything as I haven't played the game yet, but it looks like they've tried to create a stage with lots of different routes and obstacles for the sake of doing it, rather than it actually adding anything to the gameplay.

That Unleashed video is the kinda Sonic game I want! I loved those day stages so much. Such fun to master and 'learn' I suppose you could say - so you knew exactly when to jump, home attack, slide and boost.

That's my kinda modern Sonic!

Still think Lost World looks like great fun though and I'm excited to pick it up!

Just finished this myself, although I still need 4 more red star coins for the final Emerald.

I think its a pretty average game. As many have said, a lot of stuff doesn't get explained to you so a lot if trial and error ( or Miiverse ) needs to be done to figure out certain moves.

The Wisps are pretty much useless in the game and seem like more of an after thought.

The homing attack can be a little tempromental at times. There was a few times where I would go for an attack and end up doing a double jump for some reason.

The lives system is a bit of a mess, as I explained on the previous page. I had to go to 2-2 and just grind lives in the same spot until I had a decent amount to go red star ring hunting. Not getting an extra life for nabbing 100 rings is a joke. What the hell are the rings for now then? Purely score and taking hits?

The game did have its charms though, with many of the badniks from the original games making a return. Some of the music on certain levels is also great and catchy. I still hate that the game didn't have a proper opening theme that plays epicly during the final boss. It just felt flat. :(

If not going for the red star coins the game will be incredibly short. So if collectibles ain't your bag and you want a game that's a decent length then this wouldn't be it.

If I had to give it a score it would probably 7/10. It's alright but not great.

Im gutted with all of this negative impressions.

I was really looking forward to this game. It looked amazing on the videos and the short time I played on it at Play Expo i thought confirmed that this is going to be an amazing Sonic. After reading this thread im not so bothered about it anymore :-(

I was really looking forward to this game. It looked amazing on the videos and the short time I played on it at Play Expo i thought confirmed that this is going to be an amazing Sonic. After reading this thread im not so bothered about it anymore :-(

It's still a good game, it just has flaws holding it back from greatness.

Wow! Hidden World 2....dem nostalgic feels. :D

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Well I'm really enjoying it and I'm someone who hated the 3D Sonics and thought that Colours and Generations were OK at best).

All Red Star Rings collected, all levels beaten and all Chaos Emeralds unlocked. And with that the game is back on the shelf.

All Red Star Rings collected, all levels beaten and all Chaos Emeralds unlocked. And with that the game is back on the shelf.

What about getting all S Ranks on Time Attack mode? ;)

What about getting all S Ranks on Time Attack mode? ;)

I never touch anything to do with blitzing a level when it comes to 3D Sonic games. I find the controls too inaccurate and some levels too fast for their own good.

To be fair I've never been one for leaderboards and time attacks, no matter what the game is. Even on Monster Hunter I never care for the time trials, yet I spend countless hours hunting the same monster over and over to get an award. Strange. :D

Bought this earlier when I saw it for just over £30 in Tesco. Wow, this is the best Sonic has ever felt in 3D. Such a shame most reviewers couldn't get the hang of the controls.

Enjoying it a lot so far.

Oddly it seems to be a Wii U thing of late, Wonderful 101 and now this game have non traditional control schemes that seem to be off putting as I believe I noted in a different thread they require a learning curve.

I wonder if this will act as a message to developers to play it safe in regards to controls to ensure that their game is received well critically. Perhaps we are on the way towards all "Triple A" titles controlling almost the same.

Oddly it seems to be a Wii U thing of late, Wonderful 101 and now this game have non traditional control schemes that seem to be off putting as I believe I noted in a different thread they require a learning curve.

I wonder if this will act as a message to developers to play it safe in regards to controls to ensure that their game is received well critically. Perhaps we are on the way towards all "Triple A" titles controlling almost the same.

TBH, we've been at that point for a while for most western AAA budget titles. Heterogeneity is the enemy of big budget games as they all stick to the established formula.

Really liking it so far, I've just got to the ice world! Everything feels really fun and the controls are fine. The one thing that annoys me is the wisps. They seem so out of place here, using the touch screen to control the drill is bullshit and the rocket is weird. On that Gusty Garden Galaxy rip-off I used the rocket and tried to decend to a planet to only be told 'too bad', I guess I wasn't meant to venture that for :p

For the most part, the controls are great, but it really does seem to get really weird/glitchy whenever I try to use a wisp! And I like the story so far but WHY are the videos compressed? WHY?! Seriously. If it was an eShop download I'd put it down to compression, but surely they shouldn't have to compress on disc when Wii U discs go to 20-something GB? Really annoys me that does.

And the Deadly Six actually aren't that bad. I felt sick looking at their designs initially but the characters themselves are actually not bad at all! Certainly a lot better than some of the characters from Sonics past, like... Big the cat. I also like how the Red guy has a manly, echoed voice like Entei from Pokemon 3.

On the second to last (I think?) world now. Oddly, replaying previous stages I hated is quite enjoyable. I think this is very much a result of learning the level layouts during countless GAME OVER replays and showing off on later attempts.

Maybe the game is too tough or unfair, or maybe I just suck, but Lost World is way too stingy with lives. Patching in the old lives system would work wonders with this title.

The way you have to collect a certain number of animals is pretty annoying too. Just let me progress, damn you.

Hmm I'm still really interested in this but I am kinda swimming in a sea of games at the minute.

I want to buy it but can't justify the full price as a lot of people have said it's not really worth paying full whack for it.

But the idea of playing a new Sonic in glorious HD makes me excited.

Hmm I'm still really interested in this but I am kinda swimming in a sea of games at the minute.

I want to buy it but can't justify the full price as a lot of people have said it's not really worth paying full whack for it.

But the idea of playing a new Sonic in glorious HD makes me excited.

Same here. I shifted it to my Christmas list for that reason

You don't need to use the touch screen for any of the wisps, just press R to activate them then use the analogue stick to move except for rhythm where you just tap on the little notes on the gamepad to move across the stage. You don't even need good timing for it you just tap the notes ahead of you to cross pits

Edited by f00had

Thanks, I use the controls now instead of the screen.

I'm like half-way through the ice world now and haven't really got the motivation to get any further. I was really looking forward to this game and tried really hard to like it but just like with Brawl, something about it feels off.

I'd really love a new Galaxy game, and I'd love a new Sonic game, but a weird mix of both doesn't work. Even with the run button, Sonic still slips and slides and has his famous awful jump.

I'll try it again tomorrow, 'cause I don't want to give up just yet, but we'll see.

Man, the 3DS demo version feels like garbage after beating the Wii U game!

It actually seems better than I expected it to be, but it definitely feels like a 2nd tier effort in comparison to the original Wii U version...

That's Dimps for you :D Apparently everything after Desert Ruins in the 3DS game is awful.