NEurope
D_prOdigy

Sonic Lost World (Wii U/3DS)

I love Sonic. I played the demo again last night and I still can't make my mind up regarding this.

Loved most of them last gen, Adventures/Unleashed/Generations etc. But really didn't like the style of secret rings and that other one on wii (name escapes me). And I only found colours ok. I still enjoy replaying the 2D mega drive ones as well.

Is it a case that I am just going to have to get this sometime and I see what I think? Is the demo a good/bad reflection on the overall game? I'm talking about the Wii U version here.

I think the important thing to remember about Sonic Lost World is actually how it shares similarities with the very first game in terms of it not all being purely about speed but with a light focus on platforming based puzzles as well. :)

At least that's how I see it but I am in no way saying that it's as good as the Megadrive originals, just merely trying to put some perspective on things. : peace:

I think the important thing to remember about Sonic Lost World is actually how it shares similarities with the very first game in terms of it not all being purely about speed but with a light focus on platforming based puzzles as well. :)

At least that's how I see it but I am in no way saying that it's as good as the Megadrive originals, just merely trying to put some perspective on things. : peace:

I agree. Still kinda gutted they didn't just make a sequel to Generations. That game was the closest to classic SONIC I've experienced in a long time. Also a big fan of Colors and this didn't seem as good. Kudos to SEGA for trying something new though. : peace:

If only they didnt bother with those awful 2d levels , and had instead made more 3d ones the score would have been higher.

I agree. Still kinda gutted they didn't just make a sequel to Generations. That game was the closest to classic SONIC I've experienced in a long time. Also a big fan of Colors and this didn't seem as good. Kudos to SEGA for trying something new though. : peace:

I would have loved a sequel to generations. There is so many classic levels they could have given the HD updated treatment! :)

Anyone download the DLC yet? How is it?

I've downloaded it, but don't get the game until Christmas so have to be patient

Edited by Serebii

A9bPUP8.jpg

Just started it.

Anyway,

it's a fairly short 2D level. Yoshi coins replace eggs, there are Shyguys and Piranha Plants, flowers replace the red rings, you can collect eggs and these get turned into extra lives at the end of the level.

There are some Yoshi Island stuff, like the jump circle thing and the roulette at the end (I have no idea what happens if you win) and there are warp pipes to hidden areas with lots of coins.

Edit: The roulette thing multiplies your extra lives, and you seem to easily get the required points for replaying after doing one level.

Not much to it (and it has the same rubbish "get X points in levels to play again" thing as the NiGHTS one), but it's a nice extra.

Edited by Cube
Automerged Doublepost

Well I am desperately trying to enjoy this but it really is not happening.

I don't know how many times I have lost lives over stupid things that I feel I have zero control over.

What the hell is up with the homing attack too? Like I get it's supposed to home in on more than one enemy at a time, but why is it so inconsistent? Am I doing it wrong? One time it hits 2 of the enemies, other times all three, other times just one?! Also, it's impossible to control sonic without holding the run button but when you do he just sticks to every wall and gets stuck! But when you don't press it, he becomes very sluggish.

It doesn't help that the game doesn't actually tell you how to control sonic properly - even the wisps. Just draw a like on the touch screen. Well, where? What direction? What does this wisp do?

And when you are controlling the wisp, how do you actually control it?! Man, so annoying!

Having said that, I still find myself replaying the levels I fail at and moving onto the next zone... So it can't be that bad!

If you see a ? mark icon appear on screen that means you can touch it on the game pad to get instructions

Don't bother using the touch screen to control wisps it's a lot easier to just use the actual buttons

When you jump you'll see lock on circles appear on enemies, the max you can lock onto is 6 enemies. When you've locked onto everything press A and sonic will kill them all.

If you're just fighting one enemy then if you lock on the closer you get the more circles will appear on that enemy (max. 4 circles) for more damage. You'll need to do this against one of the bosses to defeat him.

The game is just really bad at explaining things... I only just found out that while you're running straight up a wall you can press left/right + jump to hop along side it and you can do this multiple times. If you hop around a corner you'll start running along the wall. If you tap the ZR button while vaulting over objects you can jump off it while maintaining your speed... These things aren't mentioned in the game or instruction manual anywhere at all AFAIK

Well I am desperately trying to enjoy this but it really is not happening.

I feel you there! I desperately tried to like this game, as I loved Colours and Generations, but it's just such a disappointment. I only really liked the Gusty Garden Galaxy type world.

What's more annoying is that it could have been amazing, but with the crappy 2D levels, off controls and awful lack of descriptions for how to control the thing it's just a complete mess.

I'm on (what I assume is) the last world but I just cba to do it.

Yeah it's strange really as behind all of the problems that it has, there really are some great ideas here. I played one of the sandy desert worlds and was genuinely impressed with it - despite dying about 6 times. :heh:

The thing is though, I expect that with Sonic games, that's their general nature - but this just becomes frustrating as a lot of the lives I'm losing are from elements out of my control. Like trying to home onto a spring which is highlighted but Sonic just decides not to bother and plunge to his death instead. :nono:

I haven't played this since posting my thoughts earlier but I kinda feel like it now - so maybe I'll try again.

YEah this game is decent enough, but has a fair few issues...mostly controls. I have lost so many lives due to dodgy controls :(

Bit sad that the tightest, best, level is the Yoshi's Island one.

Though many of the other levels have got fantastic ideas behind them

I find the control quirks and random difficulty spikes way more tolerable now 100 rings give a life.

The game is still gamepad launchingly frustrating at times. I used to think it was because I was shit, but it really isn't. Augh.

The game is still gamepad launchingly frustrating at times. I used to think it was because I was shit, but it really isn't. Augh.

Try not too! My incident with the gamepad cost me 80 quid!!

I find the control quirks and random difficulty spikes way more tolerable now 100 rings give a life.

Yeah, the 100 ring thing is a god send! I finally don't have to keep ending up on that Game Over screen, that has to be one of the most infuriating things.

And I honestly don't know why it wasn't implemented from the start, because what was the point in collecting more than a couple otherwise? :confused:

Yoshi's Island is a godsend. I'd have Game Overed so many times if that hadn't maxed out my lives

I still haven't got Yoshi's Island! I keep telling myself I'll get a hard drive but keep pushing it back, so I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and delete some stuff I think.

I still haven't got Yoshi's Island! I keep telling myself I'll get a hard drive but keep pushing it back, so I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and delete some stuff I think.

It was downloading the review copy of this game that made me get a hard drive :p - though I was considering it plus it was good timing - but now I have one, I wouldn't be without it. :)

I tend to put most of the games that I don't play so much on it while keeping recent stuff on the system memory, you can copy/move stuff pretty easily and it's just so convenient having all that extra space. :D

Sonic Lost World is still the best Sonic title in a long while, I may not have been back to play it since - aside from Yoshi dlc - but personally this game was a lot of fun for me, not in the same league as Super Mario 3D World of course, but then what is? ;)

It's only 80MB :)

zdlc03011395789310jpg-e31e29_610w.jpg

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/26/sonic-lost-worldas-zelda-crossover

In it, players can take the blue hero for a spin through The Legend of Zelda Zone -- a free stage that will be available for download through the Wii U eShop on March 27, 2014.

We’ve seen Sega weave Nintendo characters into Lost World before with Yoshi’s Island, but The Legend of Zelda Zone expands the idea a little further. Where Yoshi’s Island Zone adopted a side-scrolling perspective and added collecting eggs to the mix, this Zelda-inspired level opens up into a mini-adventure. It’s a departure from the fast pace of Sonic Lost World, and even Sonic himself is dressed for the occasion – he’s decked out in Link’s signature green tunic.

The Legend of Zelda Zone pulls artistic inspiration from a variety of Link’s adventures. The looming Hyrule Castle in the background comes from Twilight Princess. The enemy Stalfos that creep out of the ground originate from Ocarina of Time. At key moments Link rides by on a Loftwing from Skyward Sword. There’s even a miniature dungeon Sonic can explore, heart containers, and other surprises.

Hyrule field is an open area, but the dungeon we explored takes a more straightforward approach. The tube-like design resembles the speedy stages we’ve played in Sonic Lost World. It all funnels into a few large rooms, and it’s lined with rows of rupees to collect and rolling Gorons to avoid. Once you've completed the stage, rupees convert into freed animals -- a sort of currency used to unlock gadgets and stages in the main campaign.

For some Nintendo fans the idea of a Sonic and Link mashup might seem like heresy, but it’s hard to ignore the fan service in this update or how well it adapts a free-roaming mentality. The Legend of Zelda Zone has zero time limitations. You can run around, explore, and complete small challenges in any order. Rings are noticeably absent and replaced by a heart meter. But, of course, even fan service has limitations: You won’t see Sonic wield a Master Sword or use a Hylian Shield here. Instead, he uses the same kick, homing attacks, and powered up abilities from Lost World.

This new DLC might come as a surprise, but Nintendo President Satoru Iwata teased it during a video presentation last December. Combined with the previous Yoshi’s Island Zone, Sega has provided an alternative to avoid repetitive grinding and acquire additional lives in Sonic Lost World. The Legend of Zelda Zone is only available for Wii U. Lost World owners on 3DS won’t have access to it or the Yoshi-themed DLC. If you want to take a deeper look at this free stage, check out the embedded videos above to get a first look at Sonic and Zelda's crossover act.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/26/sonic-lost-worldas-zelda-crossover

I really like the style of the overworld! It's a bit like Twilight Princess but importantly for me with the vibrancy and cartoony look of Skyward Sword :)

The dungeon looks cool ('combat' sure does suck in Sonic!) I wonder if the Triforce turns Sonic into Super Sonic :p

Edited by Retro_Link

Loving all of this gaming news for the Wii U today. This and the GBA VC stuff has made me one happy Nintendo gamer. :)

that looks amazing, really impressed with the effort. And it's free. So tempted by sonic!

I am so impressed by that. I'm going to just lose my entire afternoon tomorrow on it, I just know it

I'd have happily paid like £10 for this DLC. The fact it's free is just awesome and shows Nintendo know what they're doing.

Edited by Serebii

Having just realised there was a separate trailer below the gameplay video and having watched it... I can't help thinking that 5min gameplay video just showed everything there is to the DLC...

Having just realised there was a separate trailer below the gameplay video and having watched it... I can't help thinking that 5min gameplay video just showed everything there is to the DLC...

It is probably only 5-10 minutes long, like the Yoshi one.

It's still a great freebie.