NEurope
Jonnas

Eurovision 2013

So, I was Skyping with my parents last night when they mentioned that an Eurovision semi-final was on TV. After a quick search, I found out that 1. The final is tomorrow (Saturday) and 2. Portugal is not participating :sad: (not enough money to send a song, apparently).

Anyway, they were dumbfounded at the Romanian entry:

And after watching this, so was I :heh: I now have a decent enough reason to find a stream for tomorrow.

I guess it's that time of year, then. I'll be rooting for Spain in Portugal's stead, but who'll win? Is Romania the craziest thing this year? Will British people whine at their poor results again? How much block voting this year? Tune in!

It had that lesbian kiss this year as well didn't it that caused a bit of contro! Can't find the video of it now I'm at work but caused quite a stir.

Urggh, the Riggo-vision song contest again. Sigh, it's pathetic and a massive joke indeed. I will not be watching at all, and i know that the UK's entrant probably won't get anywhere near the top 10. No matter how big or known they are.

Jim and I have pretty much made it into a tradition to watch the show while eating some delicious food and drinking cider. Tomorrow we are ordering Indian (which we are so looking forward to since we are on a diet). And we have Ferrero Rocher to eat as well. =)

I missed the first semi-final as we went to see a film, but I managed to watch about half of the one yesterday. That Romanian song is indeed a bit WTF, but it is stuff like this that makes it fun to watch Eurovision. =D

There are some hilarious entries indeed haha!

I did love the Dutch song to bits though! I really hope the Netherlands win :)

Edited by M_rock

Only listened to the Bonnie Tyler song today, quite dissappointed. I know we normally suck in Eurovision but I was hoping this year could be a change(not that I follow/care much) but seeing the song it seems rather generic, bland, and just generally weak. Not holding out much hope for us, again! Think I'll be watching it at a friend's house though, so it'll be a nice evening of chilling etc.

Haven't watched the other videos posted here yet, I've seen a few mentions about Romania, will have to check it out when I get home to see what all this fuss is about!

Will British people whine at their poor results again?

I will not be watching at all, and i know that the UK's entrant probably won't get anywhere near the top 10. No matter how big or known they are.

Wow, that was quick :heh:

Eurovision is a perfect activity for sitting around and making fun of silly people. It's also a time for perpetuating European stereotypes and laughing at ourselves and each other. I love it.

Unfortunately i will be missing it this year (we usually have a Eurovision party, with dressing up and themed food etc) because some dick proposed to my girlfriend and now we have to have an engagement party. :(

I hope it as ridiculous as ever, and Graham Norton is on top form (our voice over guy who takes the mickey out of the contestants).

Wow, that was quick :heh:

I just whine at the whole contest, it's a huge farce. The people who can sing never seem to win, and it's the ones who either give a lot of money to "bribe a win" or something similar to that. It's not about the music, as i heard the semi-final singers. Jeez, they were aweful.

Sad that you can likely guess which countries most countries will give their maximum points too, the political voting bullshit.

Sad that you can likely guess which countries most countries will give their maximum points too, the political voting bullshit.

You've cracked my reasonings for not watching the show. It's too much political bull-crap involved, which isn't the point of this type of show.

Choices of TV for Saturday (if you are watching TV that is) seems to be Britains got Talent and Eurovision. Both shows are trash, but if i had no choice, i would watch BGT.

I don't think political voting is as significant as some people think it is. Sure it gives some countries a higher ranking and.some lower and once allegedly decided the winner, but I think most of the votes are genuine votes from people who votes for their favourite. Norway has won the contest and not qualified for the final within a few years of each other. Same with Sweden, Iirc they didn't qualify for the final a few years ago. Point is, pretty much every country beside Azerbaijan have been everywhere in the table, so politicaly voting ultimately doesn't matter. I remember when Serbia won, of course it got accused of winning from political voting, but when you counted only the votes from Western Europe, Serbia still won.

I can assure you with absolutely 100 % certainty that politically voting is not the reason GB ends low on the table. The reason is that you suck. Again. To think that you can win the contest because the entry is a known artist is laughworthy.

Yeah political voting doesn't play that much of a role anymore. Also I wouldn't call it political because it has nothing to do with that. People are simply more likely to vote for their neighbours because they understand the language/know the artist.

For example I would be more likely to vote for the Netherlands as I actually know the singer and have liked her songs in the past.

And yeah, the UK's entries haven't really been great. The last two years I think you sent Humperdinck and Blue... and honestly the songs sucked. I haven't heard Bonnie Tyler's song yet but from what people are saying it doesn't sound great.

(not that I am defending Belgium by the way as our song sucks this year =P )

I agree, somewhat. I do think people occasionally vote for their neighbours, but most of the time a good, catchy song does win, so overall the voting does work. We never win it because our songs are always very boring indeed.

ya the political voting isn't AS big as some people think it is. I think culturally speaking there isn't very many countries like GB.. just Ireland.. and we give you 10 points most years.

Countries besides each other have got to have similar tastes in music.

Plus I find a lot of the time the Europeans use well known current acts with songs that already have been a hit.

I hope it as ridiculous as ever, and Graham Norton is on top form (our voice over guy who takes the mickey out of the contestants).

Norton is alright in his commentary but I must admit I do miss Terry Wogan's comments. Was always worth watching just to hear some of the cracking stuff he'd come out with.

I'll most likely "watch" this on Saturday. Probably have it on in the background. As soon as it was announced that Bonnie Tyler was singing this year, I got the feeling that it'll be another embarrassment like Engelbert last year. I know a lot of the songs are just silly/shit but when you compare the style of music from last year's winning entry to what we sent along, it's no wonder we came second last.

I'm just thankful Ireland didn't send Jedward for a 3rd year in a row *phew*

Is there any "Lordi" type acts/bands this year?

Come on Finland don't be holding back on the rock!

Apparently Ireland's entry is supposed to be very very good.

Bonnie is just lol it really is a bit of a shame. Whoever chose her and that damn song needs sacking / shooting. Or sacking then shooting.

I'm going to a small Eurovision party - very excited ha. We're gonna have a little bet on the top 3 and see who gets closest.

Can't wait ha.

I just whine at the whole contest, it's a huge farce. The people who can sing never seem to win, and it's the ones who either give a lot of money to "bribe a win" or something similar to that. It's not about the music, as i heard the semi-final singers. Jeez, they were aweful.

Yeah, there's a group of countries that always buys their way into the finals every year. The jerks :heh:

I haven't been all that interested in the Eurovision for several years since I haven't particularly liked our entries since the Olsen Brothers won back in 2000 (I did like our song last year, but it didn't stand out enough to catch people's attention).

However! This year I absolutely LOVE our song, and I think it stands a really good chance of winning! :D I'm very much looking forward to the show tomorrow night; I'll be watching it with my parents and rooting like crazy. :heh:

I wouldn't mind Denmark winning. This or last year ;) I like both songs.

Mate's hosting a eurovision party tomorrow. He is also the campest person I know. What a coincidence.

Anyway! We are arranging drinking rules and that is all that matters. It is not something to be taken seriously, unless cider is involved (so eenuh and flink will be having a serious evening too?)

We need more bands like Lordi, that would be amazing! I agreed with the winner last year though, it was a very good song.

Everybody knows not to watch Eurovision to see the UK win because I doubt that'll happen (as much as I'd like it to). I just love watching and listening to the music no matter how good or shit it is!

To think that you can win the contest because the entry is a known artist is laughworthy.

You mean Humperdinck didn't win last year?!